• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Hunting carry Sidearm

Load your own?

No- been meaning to but I dont shoot a ton of them. I reload for too many rifles already to fill my time. The 250gr hardcast flatnosed dont feed well in the USP but most other designs have been fine. I practice with 45 ACP mostly other than function checking

I run the Underwood .45 Super rounds through the HK Mark 23 and it has no problem at all with a limited diet of them.
(now if you run thousands of rounds of it through the gun, it will wear it out quicker than average, but by then you are well over the cost of buying a replacement pistol anyways).

The penetration ability on the solid copper Underwood .45 super rounds is about the best you'll get till you are willing to jump up to the .44 Magnum and higher class, or the .50AE class.

Reactions: Crang
I just ordered something that gives me another option: a 357 SIG conversion barrel for a Glock 35, to be put in a Glock 22 slide.

Similar capacity to the Glock 21 10mm conversion but in a smaller package and near .357 Magnum ballistics.

It should be a nice flat shooter and pretty easy to handle.

I already have a Glock 35 9mm conversion barrel so lots of options with that one.

I have recently came across a problem with g20 where the dang thing won’t shoot with a weapon light attached. Started looking around and the s&w 327 trr8 looked nice.

Any one shoot the 8 shot Smith’s.?

Shooting it a lot is really the key. I owned the same Ruger for years, but never felt comfortable with it. I just never shot it enough, so sold it. The fireball at night has entertainment value :)

Now own a G20 with Underwood 220gr hardcast. And I feel at home every time I shoot it.

I agree this is the ticket, 220 Underwood Hard cast out if a 10 mm G20. Mine runs great with the stainless steel guide rod and a 22 lb. Spring on it.

I run the Underwood .45 Super rounds through the HK Mark 23 and it has no problem at all with a limited diet of them.
(now if you run thousands of rounds of it through the gun, it will wear it out quicker than average, but by then you are well over the cost of buying a replacement pistol anyways).

The penetration ability on the solid copper Underwood .45 super rounds is about the best you'll get till you are willing to jump up to the .44 Magnum and higher class, or the .50AE class.

Something I always find amazing is when they first were designing and testing the MK23 they rammed a squib load in the barrel then fired a full round behind it. It fired both with no damage to the gun. HK then ran 6000 proof rounds through it with no appreciable wear. If you can wear that thing out with 45 Supers you will be one broke SOB.

I have recently came across a problem with g20 where the dang thing won’t shoot with a weapon light attached. Started looking around and the s&w 327 trr8 looked nice.

Any one shoot the 8 shot Smith’s.?

Are you using a Streamlight? If you are sell it and get a Surefire and it should solve your problem. There is something about the way the Streamlight attaches to the rail that doesn't allow the frame to flex which causes cycling issues. I have heard the Surefire is good to go but have not verified myself.

Yes I have owned the the R8 and the TRR8. They shoot great but I had sticky brass with anything hot.

Reactions: jmb1911
I should probably try my lights, I recently got O-light PL Mini-Valkyerie lights for my Glocks which are nice and bright but I haven't tried them at the range.

I should probably try my lights, I recently got O-light PL Mini-Valkyerie lights for my Glocks which are nice and bright but I haven't tried them at the range.

Stupid me I've had the Streamlight mounted for 6-7 years and never shot it with the light attached. Looks like I'll be giving the Surefire XC1-B a try.

I have not heard anything either way on the Olights.

Pointing at stuff at home, they seem very bright, light weight and compact. I like the switches used and the magnetic charging cord means I should never have to buy a new battery, take a battery out to charge it or fumble around with a tiny power connector.

The new one I got is supposed to be 600 lumens which is amazing.

I run the Surefire on my G40mos with no issue.
20180320_154912.jpg

Good on the members who brought up the lighting aspect of this question.

IMO, all hunting side arms ought to include a very reliable and powerful light.

2 out of 3 times I've needed my sidearm have been at after the sun went down and I can say, without hesitation, that my TLR1 saved my bacon once in the Northern NM back country about 18 months ago.

YMMV.

Reactions: FishinGuns
Ruger Redhawk 41MAG or Blackhawk 41MAG , I prefer the Blackhawk , I focus better with a single action!
Freedom Arms MAG whatever trips your trigger , light weight high capacity vs old tech high impact penetration in a short time frame one or two shots is about all you will get when suprised . Montana Game & Fish issues 10mm semi auto for officers.
A few more ounces vs my life I would go heavy!

Still prefer a S&W 44mag for a backup while hunting.

I played around with a Glock 20 for a bit. Works well on hogs, I must say. An SBR or AR style pistol in 10mm is something I may need to give a try.

Just to update on the 45 Super/Glock 21 project, I installed a steel guide rod and 24lb recoil spring and tried the 460 Rowland comp on a KKM barrel. Loaded 240 and 250 Hornady XTP bullets and was very pleased with velocity on both but ultimately chose the 240 XTP because it is a tougher bullet designed to expand at higher velocities.

250 XTP hit 1250 fps and penetrated 22" of gel and expanded to .700
240 XTP hit 1350 fps and penetrated 25" of gel and expanded to .675

I would take the 45 Super with 240 XTP over the 10mm at this point due to increased penetration and a heavier, tougher bullet. The 2 rd decrease in mag capacity is negligible to me as in most situations there is probably only 2-3 seconds to get off a few accurate rds on target.

The only other option I would bring in the woods with me is a ported 44 mag.

Last edited: