• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing HVLP for me! Pics added

stillbuster

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 14, 2008
Tupelo, MS
Awhile back I broke down and bought a HVLP from Harbor Freight. I got to use it today coating a 700 and a benelli barrel for some friends.
These are the best coatings I have done yet. I have been using an airbrush up until this point. I have to say if you are thinking of doing some coating an HVLP is the smart choice and for me it is easier to use than the airbrush.
I used plain acetone to play with adjusting the spray and pattern by spraying it on some cardboard, once I had it where I wanted it I started on the small parts first then the barrel and barreled action. This is so much smoother and faster than the airbrush it is ridiculous.
I'll post some pics when they come out of the oven in the morning.
IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1060.jpg

Re: HVLP for me!

there are 2 types of hvlp a cup feed and a gravity feed. the gravity feed is by far the best and waste less materials. you can buy them from $40-$800 and most of the time ones under $100 will work for most people.

I got the gravity feed detail gun with a 5oz cup for $39.
I already had another regulator and filter set up from my airbrush setup.
I have all of my fittings set up so that I plug the filter and regulator directly into the female outlet on the tank then attach my coil air line and then attach the hvlp to that for fast and easy set up just plug it all in and go.

I have both the bargain Harbor Freight touch up HVLP and the Sata MiniJet touch up HVLP. They both work GREAT and I could buy a bunch of the Harbor Freight guns for what the Sata costs.

Darin