• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Hypothetical" MKII / Marlin replacement stocks

TOP PREDATOR

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2008
SCRANTON AREA PENNSYLVANIA
tying in with these 2 topics,

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1254452#Post1254452

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=749422#Post749422

TRYING TO GET INPUT ON SOMETHING SIMILIAR, so i can get the ball rolling on a tactical stock for a mkII and marlin. if i can get enough intrest in it, it's possible we'll get a replacement stock with goodies manufactured without the "2x4" effect.

my gunsmith happens happens to have a stock making machine. of corse, the initial setup would cost some $ on my and my gunsmith's part, however if there is enough demand to justify it, my smith said he'd set up the machine. if a mkII and/or a marlin tactical style stock was to be made, would you guys prefer:

1. <span style="font-weight: bold">WOOD OR SYNTHETIC BODY</span>

a. heavy or light with fillable cavities

b. hook or notched in rear or regular

c. semi skeletonized (like the ultimate sniper stock) or full

d. built in adjustable cheek piece or add ons

e. bulit in adjustable butt plate or l.o.p. add ons

2. <span style="font-weight: bold">GRIP</span>

a. pistol grip style

b. adjustable "plate at bottom" of above for resting or not

c. palm swells or finger grooves or both, or plain pistol grip

3. <span style="font-weight: bold">FORESTOCK</span>-

a. full length or shortened "axiom stock" style

b. fat rounded, beavertailed, triangular, or regular width

c. flat or tapered bottom

d. picatinny rails on sides for extras or no

e. multiple sling studs (sides, bottom) for carry options
or not

f. small dedicated bi pod mounting area-flat, tapered or none

g. vent holes (they are fashionable) round, oblong, or none

h. recessed grip areas for off hand shooting or not

probably will be designed to be both rightie and leftie friendly, factory inletting, and an oversized barrel channel to ensure free floating.

maybe even a model that's only from the pistol grip to the forestock, with an adapter to add your own collapsible AR stock.

any input would be good to get and idea of a design / prototype. include a reasonable price you'ld be willing to pay or the options you want incorporated. it's purely hypothetical at this stage, but there is obviously a market for it. if the prototype / products are made, it would include the features with the most votes on it (example: wood instead of syn, ventholes in forstock instead of plain, oversized untapered forestock instead of regular sized tapered,etc.)

i don't know when we would have such an item ready, as if we do go ahead with it, there will have to be some preliminary field testing for durability and such. may take until spring 2010 if we go ahead with it to put it through the paces of summer, fall, and winter weather to reduce any defects environment would play.

obviously if these are made and are successful, inletting for other manufacturers would soon follow (cz, remington, ruger, etc.)

Re: "Hypothetical" MKII / Marlin replacement stocks

For me I would like to see an A1/HTG or a B&C Light Tactical type stock.

Weight would be such as to approximate the weight and balance of a 700 varmint in the HTG or B&C stock.

An A4 or A5 copy would also sell like hotcakes.

Be careful offering too many options. You will get five who want one type and five who want a different type and never get enough to go with any one design.

I would say select the most popular center fire stock and duplicate that. Most of us on this site are using the MkII as a trainer, so making a stock that is specific only to the MkII would be counter productive.

Wood or synthetic, I wouldn't care as long as the "feel" is correct.

was thinking about the of offering of too many options....possibly have a modular offering where grips, rails, etc can be added.

just really want to come up with a base model that will incorporate some things pleasing to the masses; without patent infringements on the mcmillians, hs, or the choates, but has the feel, look, and funtionalitily of them.

if you could sell something like a McMillan A1 or A4 and make the only options color and different fills I think they would sell incredibly well, and if you did find a market for them then I would go with more options but start off simple, a good amount of us shoot with that type of stock any way so please the majority and then if you find yourself making money cater to the minority

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For me I would like to see an A1/HTG or a B&C Light Tactical type stock.

Weight would be such as to approximate the weight and balance of a 700 varmint in the HTG or B&C stock.

An A4 or A5 copy would also sell like hotcakes.

Be careful offering too many options. You will get five who want one type and five who want a different type and never get enough to go with any one design.

I would say select the most popular center fire stock and duplicate that. Most of us on this site are using the MkII as a trainer, so making a stock that is specific only to the MkII would be counter productive.

Wood or synthetic, I wouldn't care as long as the "feel" is correct. </div></div>

+1.........on all of this

I would look at the new 10/22 stock from B&C as sort of a "model." With all the bajillion 10/22 options out there, they simply made a pretty reasonable copy of their centerfire light varmint stock for the 10/22..... I believe they are selling pretty well. I will be getting one once the paychecks start again because it does two things for me:
1. lets me be comfortable with my 10/22
2. lets my 22lr time serve as centerfire practice time too

If that is the market you are going after, I would do what they did. Pick an H&S or B&C PSS type stock or a McMIllan HTG or A3 type stock and base your stock around that shape. I assume there are no trademark type issues as neither company makes a stock for the MkII.....but if there is make sure they get cleared up and I think you'd have a winner. I would be in for one.

I'd definitley be in for a stock. My preference would be a design similar to McMillan's HTG or M40A3 stock. Although a B&C or McMillan A-5 model would probably appeal to more people and I'd get one too if offered.

I'd snag a MKII McMillian A4/A5 clone for sure! Don't tease me tho TP, I dont want to get my hopes up
laugh.gif

Why not order a non inletted one from the maker of your choice and do it yourself? Is that option not offered?

CL1KKL4C - "I'd snag a MKII McMillian A4/A5 clone for sure! Don't tease me tho TP, I dont want to get my hopes up"

not trying to tease, just trying to get a baseline going before i start throwing $ and time at it.

Snyper762 - Why not order a non inletted one from the maker of your choice and do it yourself? Is that option not offered?

don't know if they offer that option, i imagine they do, however i'm sure that the maker's price is would be substantially due to the brand name (and rightfully so)that would make a stock a bit too pricey for most. i want to try to keep the price between $150 - $250 if possible.

There is a guy in Texas making stocks. I bought one for 10-22, he was planning to build a jig for Marlins.
The stock I bought was fully inletted and rough cut on the outside. I just shaped it, mounted a but pad, and rubbed on the Linspeed oil. Cost $80. delivered
I belive his stuff is displayed on this fourm.
Can't give you a link, but his email is [email protected]
He will also finish them for about $250 delivered

Re: "Hypothetical" MKII / Marlin replacement stock

I would like a copy of the B&C 2956. I think it's a do everything stock and suits most folks across the board. That said, it also is the same stock on my 1k 308 rifle.
laugh.gif

Rich

Yeah, I'm with LoneWolf...give me something more "traditional." McMillan(ish) HTG or A3 for me.

I know of several people who would buy something like that.

not teasing, trying to come up with a design that folks want. looks like something mcmillianish. was thinking something like this also http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1287108#Post1287108
but it looks like the mcmillian thing is going to be more popular.

it's gonna take a little more inquiring and such as the initial startup cost on my end is going to take some doing, just want to make sure before i invest in it that people are interested in it and going to buy it.

i was also thinking about something like the savage BAS, but the looks like the a3 /a4 / a5 styling is going to be the deal.

Mcmillan HTG or A4 or A5 would be great. I'd be in for one of two..

Mcmillan A1, A4, or A5 would be great! I'd love to purchase a couple

Mcmillan A3-5 would be good, something else to consider for the Mk II is the Accuracy Intl. stocks if you are going with a synthetic.

I would be interested in a stock for my Marlin 880SQ in a configuration similar to a McMillan A4. Preferably in fiberglass with the ability to either add a spacer system and adjustable cheek rest or have it inclusive in the original build.