• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I am interested in PCP Airguns thinking about a FX

FjallJager

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 8, 2010
    Southern Rockies
    Anyone know anything about this topic. I have seen a lot of videos from Matt Dubber on Youtube, and have been trying to learn what I can. I even spoke to Utah Airguns for an hour the other day.

Seems like a lot of money for an airgun. But I think I will shoot it daily.

Your thoughts?

Of all my Airguns, the FX Impact is the most fun to shoot and most versatile.
    It is a lot of money, but well worth it given how much I have used it.

My son shoots it at the rim fire range, and we have shot it out at the 100/200 yard range with good results.

Last edited:
    I bought an FX impact for me and my son to shoot with and it has been a great investment. I drove home from the dealer with a slight nauseus feeling in my gut, for spending that amount of money on an air rifle. But since then, we have shot about 2000 pellets over the last two years, the rifle is crazy accurate and we are able to hit pretty much anything within 100 meters with it. I got a .25 caliber and at full speed I get about 60 shots per fill, at the low speed setting I can get +100 shots.

Buy one, you will not regret it.

1594455051890.png

Reactions: frank320
    ^^^sweet! My son and I have more than 10k pellets thru our 25 cal FX Impact, and the only thing that needed maintenance was the breech o-ring and C3 bumper. Never even cleaned the barrel all this time, although I do lube the pellets with FP10, which I think helps.

Reactions: Vargmat
    I have the 30cal impact. I use it for dispatching wood chucks, and some plinking.

The Wildcat third generation sniper. In either 22 or 25.

I was going to buy a Wierhauch 97 blue laminate springer for $700, but I need a really quiet gun as I live in town and am going to use it for pidgeons. Having owned a Gamo 25 about 15 years ago I know that springers are not quiet. I figure for $500 more (really $900 more as it will require dive tanks), I can get a quieter option.

Good choice. Although DonnyFL moderators can lower the bark of a lot of springers, nothing beats a well tuned FX PCP. Good luck, you won’t regret it.

i love the idea of them but am unsure how much sense it makes to have one vrs just going to a 22lr strapped to a tank just don't seam as fun and unless you have a really big back yard shooting a 45cal or .50 cal PCP air rifle that can hit a 1400 yard target in your back yard just sounds like a great way to end up in jail , but they do look like a hell of a lot of fun at least the high end ones .

I was looking to upgrade my PCP to an Impact II this spring but I decided to hold off for the new Daystate Delta Wolf. They are supposed to start arriving next month, it has a lot of the same features as the Impact but it’s more cutting edge.

Reactions: steve123
    I was into PCP air rifles for several years. A lot of people just getting into it underestimate the air requirements for these rifles. And how you plan to refill them. A hand pump gets old, fast. An air tank is a good idea (like a scuba tank). But then you have to find a place to fill it and it the cost.

I rented a large 5 foot tall nitrogen cylinder and purchased the required regulator and hose to refill the tank directly on the gun. The regulator alone will run you about $500. But I got literally hundreds of refills before I needed the nitrogen cylinder refilled.

Reactions: gnochi
    I was into PCP air rifles for several years. A lot of people just getting into it underestimate the air requirements for these rifles. And how you plan to refill them. A hand pump gets old, fast. An air tank is a good idea (like a scuba tank). But then you have to find a place to fill it and it the cost.

I rented a large 5 foot tall nitrogen cylinder and purchased the required regulator and hose to refill the tank directly on the gun. The regulator alone will run you about $500. But I got literally hundreds of refills before I needed the nitrogen cylinder refilled.
    This! I got sick of running around trying to find a place that will fill tanks. So I ended up with my own machine at the house.

This! I got sick of running around trying to find a place that will fill tanks. So I ended up with my own machine at the house.
    Same here. I caved and picked up a PCP compressor for home use.

Lots of good options on PCP compressors nowadays, from affordable and portable options to high end commercial compressors. Then, once you go down that route, your pellet usage and pellet cost goes up exponentially.....

The fire house is a mile from here. I am hoping to make a donut arrangement.

I know I'll have to get a compressor at some point.

Its just money! I got one of these and I am continually shocked at its accuracy. Vey fun to shoot.

GL
    DT

I personally use an Air Venturi Nomad 2 pump. It's $700, small and portable and has so far had no issues filling up my 3 PCP's.

I had and sold an FX Whisper. Not quiet enough. But my Verminator 1 in 22 and Verminator 2 in 177 and mouse fart quiet and incredibly accurate. Would love to get an Impact or a Wildcat, but they are very expensive. Over twice what I paid for my Verminators. I also have a Kricket and other than it needs a reseal now, it is easily the most accurate PCP I’ve ever shot.

If you ever have any questions feel free to pm and i’ll shoot you my number.

FX makes a great airgun but don’t sleep on other brands such as daystate (built more durable with an edge to quality over fx IMO).

I currently own a daystate regal xl in 22 cal. Shoots both pellets and nielson slugs equally well. The build quality is second to none and is a joy to shoot.

Can shoot sub moa at 100 yards with pellets and is nearly minute of pb jar at 275 with slugs (no wind of course)

Attachments

• E0CC796B-7F54-4978-AE42-8B3FF5708B2B.jpeg
      E0CC796B-7F54-4978-AE42-8B3FF5708B2B.jpeg
      484.5 KB · Views: 200
    • D43EBEDF-08EE-495A-A28D-33188089F376.jpeg
      D43EBEDF-08EE-495A-A28D-33188089F376.jpeg
      1.2 MB · Views: 101
    • 8821A1E3-B186-482E-938C-02AF889F14DA.jpeg
      8821A1E3-B186-482E-938C-02AF889F14DA.jpeg
      549.8 KB · Views: 97
    • 1843E3D4-D4FB-4488-81C8-013E8731D550.jpeg
      1843E3D4-D4FB-4488-81C8-013E8731D550.jpeg
      309 KB · Views: 97
    Last edited:
    i wouldnt waste my money on anything but FX ... clearly they are way ahead, and get the slug liner.

Not to be rude but you are very wrong. There are MANY airguns that are just as good (and even higher quality) as FX. And before you say anything I have owned several and shot many FX airguns (I am holding an FX in my profile pic).

Daystate, RAW, American air arms (AAA), Taipan, Air arms to name a few, and honestly i’d probably give the edge to all of them in durability/reliability over FX.

FX is a great brand that is always on the edge of innovation and I look forward to owning more FX guns in the future, but to say everything else is a waste is a sign of pure ignorance or your supreme nuthugging.

There are a lot of options. I didn't realize there were so many options, kind of confusing.

I am really interested in the slug world, so that is why I have been leaning on the FX.

Reactions: Sigma
    FX are nice sticks especially with the updated power plenum.

That being said, I roll AirArms exclusively solely on fit to me.

Cant seem to get comfortable behind the Impact albeit a .30cal with NSA slugs and 700mm liner CRUSHES.

My 22cal and 25cal AA S510 Ultimate in walnut and SHV are boringly accurate and with a DonnyFL...nothing but sweet whispers.

It's hard to find a "bad" PCP nowandays.

• Love
    As for the question of caliber, why do you pick 17, 22, 25, 30 or whatever caliber you shoot. I like the idea of the 17's and 22's as you get more shots in a cylender. Any other considerations.

There are a lot of options. I didn't realize there were so many options, kind of confusing.

I am really interested in the slug world, so that is why I have been leaning on the FX.

the new daystate redwolfs with the ART barrel tech can handle slugs, I have no personal experience with them though.

my datstate huntsman regal xl in 22 can also handle slugs fine (not even marketed for them)

my shooting partner runs an fx impact in 25 cal with all the latest and greatest power plenum add ons, slug liners, you name it.

He can’t get slugs to do any better than the pellets at 100 yards, and has tried dozens of different weights/brands of slugs. He has given up and went back to pellets since the majority of his shooting is inside 100.

Not saying that will be your experience but all i’m saying is just because FX has a slug liner don’t expect to have results like you see from sponsored FX shooters on youtube

As for the question of caliber, why do you pick 17, 22, 25, 30 or whatever caliber you shoot. I like the idea of the 17's and 22's as you get more shots in a cylender. Any other considerations.

all depends on what you wanna do, if you plan on purely sticking inside 50 yards and do alot of shooting around or inside structures a 177/22 will be fine for small pests.

Personally i’d recommend 25 cal for the extra power to take out medium sized pests reliably out to 75 yards (pellets) and pellet cost is still reasonable

if you wanna stretch out to 100-125 yards on pests (with pellets) 30 cal is the way to go. Pellet cost jumps considerably but is an absolute hammer.

I have an FX Royale, not cheap but really accurate. I still use a hand pump but don’t shoot it that often so it’s not a issue. Great for some quick and easy trigger time in the back yard.

I have an FX Royale, not cheap but really accurate. I still use a hand pump but don’t shoot it that often so it’s not a issue. Great for some quick and easy trigger time in the back yard.

was just gonna recommend this, an FX Royale in 25 cal would be tough to beat for pests inside 100 yards. One of FX’s most reliable guns, super accurate, and has a power wheel to select in the event of shooting pests indoors or areas where over penetration is a concern

My friend has an FX Crown, and it's a really nice gun.

I own a Taipan Veteran (amongst a couple of other PCP's), and there's a lot of value in the Taipans. A Taipan Veteran in .25 with a DonnyFl Sumo moderator would be an excellent pest and target rig.

If you're gonna sling 25cal and 30cal lead then NSA, KnockOuts are gonna be the ticket.

If you're gonna sling pellets only, like a JBS Diabolo Heavy and like then get a RAW and be done with it.

Just be sure to push past 850fps for reliable expansion on slugs.

FWIW, 22cal in PCP is more efficient than 177 thus higher shot counts in 22.

The Daystate Huntsman XL HUMA regulated is a sweet looking stick for 1200.00ish via AoA.

Add SCBA tank, fittings, optics you're pushing north of 2500.00

I was and have been waiting for the air force Texan or fx crown when either one finally make one with a box fed mag .

i wouldnt waste my money on anything but FX ... clearly they are way ahead, and get the slug liner.
    Although the FX Impact is my go to rifle for most use cases, from short to long range, from low to high power, it is NOT by far the end all be all for Airguns.
    It is the most adjustable, but it also has a ton of o-rings and lots of points for failure.

A couple of brands like American Air Arms, RAW, etc could exude more quality and more customizations.

For example, FX triggers could be a lot better. It is not a true 2 stage trigger and it is not as crisp, and exhibits some creep compared to the Timney on my WAR Flex, nor is the FX trigger as good as RAW’s or AAA.

Depending on what one is looking for in a PCP, lots of great manufacturers to choose from. I wouldn’t limit oneself to just FX Airguns.

• Love
    Reactions: Mick28 and Sigma
    I've been shooting PCP's for 23 years now.

I just sold my FX Impact 25 cal after owning it for 2 years.
    Things I didn't like, it didn't feed smoothly with the side shot mag/kit, and FYI, the old mag that came with it developed a cracked front lense and it quit working. I discovered that the hole that the pellet is fed through in the high cap Sideshot mag was too small so I had to sand it out to the correct size. The regulator failed twice which pissed me off until my friend fixed that issue.
    This Impact had POI issues not related to scope, rings, etc, IMO it's the fragile way the barrel is attached via one set screw and that it's leaning against part of the frame, also the liner system is literally supported partially by 0-rings which I can't stand the thought of. I had a Steyr LG100 that also had the barrel leaning against the frame that had large POI shifts and it wasn't until I had the barrel free floated that the shifts stopped.

Things I did like, it was fairly accurate but not even close to my Anschutz 22rf. Being a bullpup and not having to cock the rifle under my chin was nice. Eventually I decided I just didn't like the way the gun shot off the bench compared to a regular rifle. In offhand I prefer other PCP's like the Uragan or my FX Royale.

I had a FX Revolution which was the worst POS I ever had of any gun, period! It spent more time at AOA than it did with me and in the end could not be fixed so I insisted they take it back. I got the Royale instead which has been a good rifle.

The old FX Royale was possibly their most dependable PCP, IMO.

Expensive but I think the repeater to beat is the Daystate Redwolf or Safari. Those things really shoot well, can be adjusted to different power levels, have great triggers, and have class leading cocking. It's an electronic rifle which can be considered a positive and a negative, but because it's an E system there is no spring tension to overcome when you cock it.

I went off the deep end, I ordered a Thomas HPX yesterday which is the most highly regarded PCP money can buy. I got to shoot an HPX all last weekend on Mike the creator's property and it's the total experience. That thing put down two small groups back to back at 100Y - .0" tall x 3" wide, and a .3" tall and .5" wide with 22 cal 25gr redesigns going 1003 fps!!! I also shot my highest score on a EBR target with it.

I still might get a Daystate Delta Wolf (to be released shortly) because I need a powerful repeater too but I want to make sure they don't have problems before I get one. Might just get a Redwolf for now.

On the PCP I second the notion that there is a real hassle factor in the refills. I got a full on 4500 psi air compressor from air venturi and fill my own scuba tank with it. I can’t really shoot these around my house where I live but put in a 10 meter range (such as it is) in my basement. I got pretty nice hammerli pistol and rifle with the idea my son would somehow become an Olympic shooter and also a weirauch pistol and they are great but what folks seem to enjoy more is the co2 driven Sig Sauer clone air pistols..... :-(

On the PCP I second the notion that there is a real hassle factor in the refills. I got a full on 4500 psi air compressor from air venturi and fill my own scuba tank with it. I can’t really shoot these around my house where I live but put in a 10 meter range (such as it is) in my basement. I got pretty nice hammerli pistol and rifle with the idea my son would somehow become an Olympic shooter and also a weirauch pistol and they are great but what folks seem to enjoy more is the co2 driven Sig Sauer clone air pistols..... :-(
    I meant to also note I use the lead free pellets indoors.....

FX are solid choices, have a Verminator in .22 , the arrows are a blast to shoot lol
    And I use a 4 stage hand pump, fuck the tanks and compressors, just keep topped off, don’t let fully empty👍🏻

Attachments

• FCAF9437-722C-4E69-B1B3-7DE4BC6833E5.jpeg
      FCAF9437-722C-4E69-B1B3-7DE4BC6833E5.jpeg
      789.4 KB · Views: 201
    • CA63C2D7-6F45-437D-9AF6-205F305C007A.jpeg
      CA63C2D7-6F45-437D-9AF6-205F305C007A.jpeg
      924.2 KB · Views: 53