• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I got to do this today

eli polite

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
delaware
I usually don't show this off to often but I really liked the finished product.. It took me about 16 hours to fabricate this job It took a total of 3 slabs of Super White granite for this job. The main island is 55" x 130". It weighed roughly 1000lbs because the kitchen is on the back side of the home and on the second floor it had to be lifted by a crane over the house. Than set down on a narrow deck on the back side of the home. The waterfall ends are cut at a 45 and glued in the home with an epoxy and than polished it gives it a much more seamless look. It does make it a bit more difficult to move around because a 1000lb piece of stone with sharp edges is just dangerous. I usually show off my grips but this is how i pay the bills.

If that had let loose from the crane you would be able to sweep it out the front door on the first floor.
Looks good. What is the flooring material? Did you have a part in that also? or do you just do the counter top type things.

My wife better not see that! I'd be holding off on any new guns for awhile. Nice work.

The flooring is wide oak planks 5" I think stained almost black.. I did not do that floor but I do, do flooring my last flooring project was 2000 sqft of natural maple and I have an upcoming flooring job that is 2500 sqft of hand scraped maple 5" planks stained dark brown. I do a little of every thing but 90% of my work is counter tops..

That crane operator knows his stuff too. Flying blind like that is never any fun.

Sweet.

My pap, me, and my brother built an entire new porch round the house last summer. None of us ever knew much about home-building but it turned out like a professional had come through.

Ok I have to know what does something like that cost. I realllyy like the looks.

not including the crane because that is not a normal need.. Just the granite for that kitchen was $11k this was a slightly more expensive stone as far as every day granite go's.. however I have slabs where my cost was 50k for a single slab Those are what we refer to as exotics/ semi precious and precious stones

with a less expensive stone you could pay may be as little $7K for the exact same kitchen

I don't get to play with these as much. as expensive as the material is there is not as big of a profit margin as you would think so we actually try to avoid them i have some of the stone in the first picture sitting at my shop and commonly use it as a back ground while photoing the grips that I make. The fossils cost

Nice work, I am assuming those are butt joints? Any piece there is HEAVY, I have installed a lot of granite myself. If those are mitered, that is just sick:)

not to bore any of you but here is another recent job done in 3cm thick white SileStone. This one took me quite a bit longer to make i spent about 30 hours fabricating this job and about 6 hours installing it. The island its self is longer that the one above but not wider this one is 150" x 45"

All of the edges are mitered to make the top a total of 6cm thick the back side of the legs are also mitered making them 6cm thick as well there are a total of 4 parts to the island its self.
I have a nice saw that allows me to cut accurate miters so when it is all glued up it looks like a solid piece unless you are really looking. I have some photos of the ends so you can see how it is done..

-the next 4 pics are photos on the drop leaf assembly.

in this picture you can see the miter coming out of the corner it is only visible towards the back side because my miter is actually cut at a 46 degree angle insuring a super tight fit at the front of the miter seam. this makes the seam almost invisible

-finished product

Last edited:
That is beautiful mitre work, well done sir. I can really appreciate what you are doing there. Thanks for the pics!