• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing I guess I rolled a chip in this chamber?

chipsfan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2009
Northeast USA
Hi,
I cut my chambers pretty slow. Lots of oil, lots of compressed air, Never had this happen before.

223 Wylde Manson reamer, Shilen Select match rifle

Take a look below the shoulder:
photo115_zpsaeaaae04.jpg

Gun shoots, but i am unsure how to fix it. Maybe set it back a thread? Any ideas?

photo219_zpsaee7a7fe.jpg

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Make yourself a piece of wood that is close but undersize of the case. Wrap your emery around it and give it some wd40 and run it high speed. Should clean right up

Agree with the 600 grit emery cloth. Can use a small dowel rod and wrap it around it with a slit cut down the middle of rod to slip paper through to hold it in place while inside the chamber.

I have a 300wsm that has one much worse than that right in the middle of the body. Shoots so damn good I can't bring myself to touch it. Might not look the best but it's really not hurting anything and the brass comes out fine so I run it.

If it's not causing problems, I'd leave it alone. Easier to ID the brass as "Yours". :) :)

I have a ring on my after I had it punched from 6-47 to 6slr. With three of us running the same thing, my brass sticks out like a sore thumb. Much easier to spot my brass!

You ain't gonna polish that out and you ain't gonna get rid of it by setting back one turn, it will take more than that depending on how deep it is. You probably weren't turning it fast enough. I have found too slow will cause this and chatter. Also, make sure you are using the correct cutting fluid, Rdgid Extreme is a good one. The last thing I do before I install the barrel is make a chamber cast. If you have a difficult time getting that out, you can bet there is something wrong with the chamber.

You ain't gonna polish that out and you ain't gonna get rid of it by setting back one turn, it will take more than that depending on how deep it is.

Was thinking the same.

.0625" at such a gradual taper probably won't clean that up.
If its a personal gun Id leave it alone.

I had the same problem years ago in a service rifle barrel by one of the best builders in the business. I left it alone, the gun would shoot cleans with lots of X's at the 300-600 yard line until it died at 4K rounds. I would leave it alone.

I had the same problem years ago in a service rifle barrel by one of the best builders in the business. I left it alone, the gun would shoot cleans with lots of X's at the 300-600 yard line until it died at 4K rounds. I would leave it alone.

Sometimes we get our skivies all knotted over cosmetics. If it's not harming performance just shoot it.

No point in wasting a ton of time and money to clean up something that only "looks bad" and especially when it's on the inside and not having an adverse effect.

Like my Dad always told me "Just don't do it again".

300WinMagShoulderErrorDSCF0021.jpg

I got some Midland take off 300 Win Mag barrels from Numrich for $50 each.
They are lapped inside like a select match benchrest barrel.
But one of them had an error in the chamber shoulder.
I just set back the barrel a thread and that went away.