• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I need a recommendation for a better 308.

teddy12b

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2008
I'm looking for a good, solid 308 I can count on and I just don't know everything available in the market today. I want something heavy enough that it shoots well, light enough I can use it at a rucking event like mammoth, but accurate enough I'm doing more than just blowing through ammo at distance.

I recently sold a Rem 700 308 with a 22" 5R barrel in a magpul hunter stock. It was a good gun for anything "most" people would ever use a 308 for. My biggest gripe was that I never got the rifle much better than a 3/4" group at 100 yards. I'm not a hardcore competitor, but I like to be in the ballpark of competitiveness. My reasons for wanting a 308 really fall into two catagories. 1.) I want a quality do all rifle in 308 just because while there's certainly better options, it's not going anywhere. 2.) When I shoot a team match, usually whoever I go with has 1 rifle and if it's not in 308 then I have to fill in that gap. I'm not an ultra serious PRS guy who pulls a little cart behind me at competitions with every gizmo made for the sport. I like to do a couple of guardian matches a year and hopefully some physically demanding event like a mammoth or hunt where that rifle is going to get packed over distance and used roughly.

Here's the thing, and I'm being honest when I say this, I really don't have many preferences at all when it comes to the guns. I don't really care if it's a chasis or a stock so long as it shoots. I love the idea of a folding stock for the ease of getting in and out of vehicles or around obstacles at a competition. My biggest criteria is I want the thing hovering around a 1/2" or better, magazine fed, and under 10#.

Some of the rifles that have caught my eye are the Sig Cross, because of the compactness and lightweight, but I have yet to read of any of them having impressive accuracy so that seems to be out of the question. I ran into a team at 2022 Mammoth that were both running the daniel defense delta 5's and they seemed to love those guns. The regular model (not the pro) comes in at 9# with a 20" barrel and seems like it'd be a great fit but I'm struggling to find decent reviews on the actual accuracy of that model. Another option that crossed my mind was a GA Precision gladius. I've got a GA Precision crusader in 6.5 that's my go to rifle, but it's nearly 17# with scope & bipod. If they built a 308 that was just as accurate and much lighter then that'd be on my list of rifles to consider too.

As you can tell, I just want a 308 that shoots well and can be used in the field. I just get overwhelmed with all the options out there and it changes every year. This has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to wait until after Shot Show so all the options would be on the table. I'd appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
As far as budget goes, I'm good with anything from the Delta 5 ($1,500) up to another GA Precision. I'd like to avoid the waiting time of a custom gun, but beggars can't be choosers.

If you have the money and want a .308, it would be hard to do better than contacting @MikeRTacOps and getting one of his rifles.
It will probably be more accurate than you.

TacOps is also pretty good about getting rifles shipped out in a decent time frame.

Otherwise an Accuracy International AX, AT or similar series would be a great choice, but those are a bit heavy for lugging around all day.

A Sako TRG22 with the 20” barrel would be a great choice and fit every criteria except weight.
I run one but with the 26” barrel, its crazy accurate but all dressed up with a folding stock and original bipod its closer to 18lb.
But with a short barrel and fixed stock I would guess that around 12lb is possible.

. . . . . . . My biggest criteria is I want the thing hovering around a 1/2" or better, magazine fed, and under 10#.
Remember that when it comes time to release your shot, every ounce on the gun is your friend.
Lighter rifles are super touchy about consistent shooter input. X10 on that as the recoil/caliber goes up.

Watching your Ps and Qs many light rifles can demonstrate their technical accuracy when you're on a bench with everything supported and being consistent with your bags, shoulder, cheek, etc.

I have seen some really good shooters fall off the rails when taking their extra light guns from the bench to the field.

If they built a 308 that was just as accurate and much lighter then that'd be on my list of rifles to consider too.
Easy to build a light rifle that is technically just as capable as a heavy gun.
This can be demonstrated with machine rests or simply bagging the shit out of your setup on a bench. The issue is accuracy in the field is WAY more elusive with a light rifle setup. *See above.^

Getting the most out of a light bolt gun is the same but different as getting the most out of your gas gun. Both are totally unforgiving to poor or inconsistent technique.

Daniels guarantees .75” accuracy fir the delta 5.

If you dont mind just over 10lbs, the delta 5 pro guarantees 1/2” accuracy and with the 20” barrel comes in at 10.8 lbs.
When I was talking with a two man team at Mammoth they said the same barreled action is in both guns and the guy with the pro model said he'd have gone with the regular version because it's just as accurate but weighed a little less. Just what the guy said so I don't really know 100%.

guarantees dont mean shit

also....dont buy a DD
I dont own a single Daniels, so have nothing in the game. But have dealt with them and, yes, with them, their guarantees do mean something. Their CS is awesome and if your rifle doesnt perform as promised, replacement or even refund is no questions asked.

I've personally shot Deltas and DD5s and a bunch of ARs, they do shoot. The Deltas are great shooting guns.

But there are a ton of options. I mentioned DD because the OP brought them up.

Reactions: teddy12b
When I was talking with a two man team at Mammoth they said the same barreled action is in both guns and the guy with the pro model said he'd have gone with the regular version because it's just as accurate but weighed a little less. Just what the guy said so I don't really know 100%.
Having shot them, believe that. I think that they just have the two different accuracy guarantees just to make the more expensive gun seem that much better.

The chassis is really nice though, with built in Area419 arca and Hellfire already installed. Both are good options.

I dont own a single Daniels, so have nothing in the game. But have dealt with them and, yes, with them, their guarantees do mean something. Their CS is awesome and if your rifle doesnt perform as promised, replacement or even refund is no questions asked.

I've personally shot Deltas and DD5s and a bunch of ARs, they do shoot. The Deltas are great shooting guns.

But there are a ton of options. I mentioned DD because the OP brought them up.
oh their ARs def hammer

guarantees are great. using match ammo in a vice/rest. real world it's nothing more than just marketing. every barrel and smith should be making barrels that hit that accuracy standard and don't need to guarantee it

for the money there are a lot of things you can do to build a way better (options, fit, function) 308 than most any factory rifle. including AI.

Having shot them, believe that. I think that they just have the two different accuracy guarantees just to make the more expensive gun seem that much better.

The chassis is really nice though, with built in Area419 arca and Hellfire already installed. Both are good options.
I agree completely. As a business it makes sense to have a better accuracy guarantee on the more expensive model. I think both models look great, and honestly I really like the idea of swapping the barrels with just a torque wrench and calling it good. One great rifle with one great scope seems like a better system than two mediocre rifles with two mediocre scopes.

oh their ARs def hammer

guarantees are great. using match ammo in a vice/rest. real world it's nothing more than just marketing. every barrel and smith should be making barrels that hit that accuracy standard and don't need to guarantee it

for the money there are a lot of things you can do to build a way better (options, fit, function) 308 than most any factory rifle. including AI.
The best deals I've seen on the Delta 5 308 have been in the $1500 - $1600 ish range before shipping and FFL transfer. If it shoots well, that seems like it'd be tough to beat.

oh their ARs def hammer

Agree, however, most of todays customer demand some type of "guarantee", just like they want some type of barrel break in procedure.

Reactions: b6graham
I didn't see a detachable magazine on this, but otherwise looked like a great rifle.

They do have detachable mags from factory or you can also go AI like I did with mine...

20220204_213358.jpg

They are excellent rifles but you've also gotten some other great recommendations. Good luck!

EVO Stainless Steel action $575 (new ones allow Rem Age barrel without modification)
Trigger tech special trigger $199
NSS Remage Barrel $325
Barrel Nut $28
Grayboe Phoenix with bottom metal $599

Total $1726

I have a GAP 308 for sale. GAP finished it a little over a year ago. I followed their ‘break-in” procedure and then put it in the safe. It’s been there ever since. It’s wearing a ‘new’ Mark 5hd 3.6x18x 44 illum. Tremor 3
Bipod
35mm rings
GAP dragbag
Extra mag
QD sling
this isn't the PX...PM him

oups, my bad.

All I'm going to say is make sure you do your due diligence if you are working out something in PM with Fivegun.

It's a recent account and only had 2 posts in the whole previous year and does not have an official supporter account (as in paying the $20 supporter tier that lets you post threads in the PX)

I'm going to suggest that just to be on the safe side, you make sure you do a live video chat with the person and have him show you the rifle in the video and all the details about it on video with both him (face and all) in the video chat as well as the rifle.

Lots of good choices.
A used TRG22, even a used AI AE MK III would be fantastic value.

A desert tech covert 16” also a good choice. I’ve taken mine to 1000 yards without any issues with fgmm 175. It might be slightly above your weight but being a bullpup it has an interesting balance for shooting offhand or with a sling. It wouldn’t be my first choice for PRS because it’s a bit more rear heavy for barricade shooting but it shines in other applications. One of the few rifles I will never sell.

Honestly though, if you don’t really know what you want, save your money, get a Tikka CTR in 308 and try a few different chassis or stocks and then as your experience and confidence increase you will know what works for you. For most people the KRG Bravo is a decent weight, the plastic skins aren’t too cold in the winter, decent ergos and very affordable.

I will also agree with the others that a lightweight 308 or gasser will show the flaws in your fundamentals way more than a 25lbs 6BR with a 4oz trigger tech Diamond. A good muzzle brake will also tame the 308 a bit for me it’s helpful if I want to spot myself past 800 with my DTA but it can make you a lazy shooter.

All I'm going to say is make sure you do your due diligence if you are working out something in PM with Fivegun.

It's a recent account and only had 2 posts in the whole previous year and does not have an official supporter account (as in paying the $20 supporter tier that lets you post threads in the PX)

I'm going to suggest that just to be on the safe side, you make sure you do a live video chat with the person and have him show you the rifle in the video and all the details about it on video with both him (face and all) in the video chat as well as the rifle.
Great idea. Thanks. Also be mindful that just because someone pays $20, doesn't make them trustworthy either.

Chris Strickland
Daniel Island, SC

From everything I've been reading, the more I'm really leaning towards the DD Delta 5. If nothing else it's a mistake I could quickly turn around and resell for small penalty.

From everything I've been reading, the more I'm really leaning towards the DD Delta 5. If nothing else it's a mistake I could quickly turn around and resell for small penalty.

Not trying to sound smug or anything, but what are you reading that sways you toward the DD Delta 5?

Not trying to sound smug or anything, but what are you reading that sways you toward the DD Delta 5?
I'm liking the versatility of being able to swap barrels and have the two main calibers I use. The options are limited and not likely to improve, but those two options would work well for me so it checks those boxes. Chatting with the two guys at the competition is was really pushed me towards the DD Delta 5. Yesterday I got on an email chain with one of their guys in customer service at DD and he was one actually at the same competition I was at so he understood the concerns I had for rifle weight. For $1600 ish I can have a good quality 308 that'd work for rucking competitions and anything else I'd ever likely use a 308 for. For the same $1600 and another $600 I could have both a 308 and a 6.5cm (assuming they both shot well) that I could use for all my competition uses and then keep the best scope I've got on one rifle instead of having two decent scopes on two guns. So part of the appeal of the Delta 5 is the economics, but the other part is that it just checks the boxes I'm looking for (again, assuming it shoots up to par). If I end up going that way, I'll start with the 308 and if the accuracy isn't there I'll be done. I'm not going to invest the time and money into something that doesn't shoot well and I should know how it shoots within the first 200 rounds give or take. I'm not saying I'm 100% decided, but that's what I'm leaning towards and why. To be perfectly honest, I really wish there was some amazing accuracy reports of the Sig Cross because I love how those fold up and hardly weigh anything. I can't imagine a better rifle to pack around, but I don't get the impression it's accurate enough for competitions.

Just about everyone on this forum will claim they can work up a .5MOA load but the truth of the matter is that if you had a true .5MOA then you could win every F-Class competition with a perfect score.
Interesting perspective. Ive both seen and owned rifles that shoot .5 MOA with factory ammo. Thats a lot easier to do at 100-200 yards. I dont shoot F class but know some guys that do and the distances they typically shoot at, I rarely see forum posts or anyone really discussing it at length. I would absolutely like to see more discussion of guns and shooting accuracy of .5 moa at 500 yards+

Interesting perspective. Ive both seen and owned rifles that shoot .5 MOA with factory ammo. Thats a lot easier to do at 100-200 yards. I dont shoot F class but know some guys that do and the distances they typically shoot at, I rarely see forum posts or anyone really discussing it at length. I would absolutely like to see more discussion of guns and shooting accuracy of .5 moa at 500 yards+
lots of people can do it. even for a few shots in a row. it's not 'that hard'

doing it for 3 relays, 20 shots each relay, at 3 different points in the day...not as easy

lots of people can do it. even for a few shots in a row. it's not 'that hard'

doing it for 3 relays, 20 shots each relay, at 3 different points in the day...not as easy
I can believe that.

I shot a shotgun training match for a 3-gun type event years ago. Ive never run and gun at that point in time, or even needed to do continuous shotgun or any continuous shooting at that pace. Just clays or skeet and trap.

Completely different environment and stress factors, and my normal accuracy was nowhere to be found