• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I Need Help Picking Out My New Pistol

Johnny Lately

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2011
SA, TX
I'm currently running an M&P9 but I would like to switch to a 45. The choices have been narrowed down to a Sig Sauer 1911R-BSS or an FNX-45. I know I can choose a M&P45, but I would like to try something new.Uses will be: carry, ranch pistol, defense and range fun. My main concern on the FNX is lack of aftermarket, were the 1911 excels.

No interest in any of HK's offerings? Of the two you list I would go with the fn since its going to be more forgiving on maintenance and food.

I have both the FN and HK. Both are very nice, I love the FN for the price.

The FN is a great gun.

I have both the FN and HK. Both are very nice, I love the FN for the price.

The FN is a great gun.

I have it's older brother ... the FNP 45; highly recommend! IMHO FN is a a bit of hidden gem in the pistol world. One thing though: the FN(X or P) 45 is a BIG handgun, I really enjoy shooting mine but its definitely not my choice for CCW ;) !

Just my personal experience with sig 1911s. I've got around 500 rds through mine while I was home and it's still not reliable. Every couple mags ill have a failure to feed and the round points to 12o'clock. Switched to chip McCormicks. It's getting better. Also there barrels are thin. I wasn't impressed at all. If it wasnt a present it would be goin bk.

How about the Sig P227? .45 ACP, and it holds 10+1 rounds. All the Sigs I have owned have been trouble free, never had any problems. Accuracy has always been excellent.

s

I've been shooting 1911's most of my life, but just got my first Glock in 10 mm. It's very accurate, runs like a clock on reloads, carries 15 in the mag, and I've been told they're the AKs of the pistol arena for reliability. I think it will be my "get to my rifle" tool.

I've been shooting 1911's most of my life, but just got my first Glock in 10 mm. It's very accurate, runs like a clock on reloads, carries 15 in the mag, and I've been told they're the AKs of the pistol arena for reliability. I think it will be my "get to my rifle" tool.

10mm seems to be making somewhat of a comeback.. brass hard to find and G20s/29s selling well. I have 2 G20s and 2 G29s. One G20 is full sized and the other three are short frames. The SF models definitely feel better in my hand.

To answer your question between the two you stated, I'd vote for the FN. One of my buddies just bought an FNX45 and my brother just got an FNX40. I reeeeeeally like the FN triggers; best groups I've literally ever shot with a polymer framed gun.

I don't have much experience with Sig's 1911's, however I have heard enough of the typical mag/feeding problems as stated before.

The stock magazine from sig1911 is really bad.i got few FTF issues.

When I carry a .45, I use a HK45CT. I also own a HK USP Expert & USP Tactical in .45. IMHO, they are hands down better than the FNP45 Competition & Sig P220 Combat that I sold in the past. The match triggers on the Expert & Tactical are far superior to anything that Sig or FN sells:) I'm not hating on FN or Sig, because I love my SCARs and P226 Combat.