• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I.O.T.A (Indoor Optical Training Aid)

Well I've had my IOTA for just over a year and have put well into the thousands of rounds down range at my computer screen and to this day its still one of the top purchases I've made.
Being able to practice the fundamentals and positional shooting any time of day or night really is pretty awesome. I use a picture on my computer of the KYL rack at one of our matches for my POA and has worked out well.
It also reminds you of how annoying Butler Creek caps are through barricades, broke the cap off a month ago and it really has improved my practice times lol.
Thanks again Chuck !

Tonight's practice
eq14pk.jpg

Chuck will this work on a standard fixed power scope. I have a guy that is interested in long range shooting but he is going the expensive route.

Instead of saving and biting the Bullet, getting the quality tools, he is going the long way around.

Over the last few months my range/training time has seen a significant decrease due to work and family. As such, I have been looking for ways to maximize my dry fire practice. The IOTA has certainly been a great training aid and the convenience it provides is invaluable.

Thanks again Chuck!

Tonight's practice
Great looking barricade sir!

I just picked up one of these a few months ago. I also use my laptop screen as my virtual target. I have since developed a customized powerpoint slide presentation with lots of photos of different ranges with animations for targets and movers to keep things interesting.

I received one of these yesterday. The IOTA is AWESOME!!!!! The simplicity of it is amazing!!! I will be able to practice all winter long without having to clean rifles or worry about a lot of reloading!!!! OH!!! Or freezing my ass off!!! ;-)

Originally Posted By: avidflyer
Anyone use one of these to align there reticle?

Yes, I have been useing my I.O.T.A. to mount all my scopes.

I use a thread with a washer hanging as a plumb line. The thread I used had to hang for a while before it quit spinning but after that it was good.

I put the tread up in front of my white garage door for good light and contrast. It looked better with a blank back round so all I could see was the thread and the reticle.

I figure the eye relief first and mark it with a piece of tape.

Then I clamp the barrel in my vise with rubber jaw pads and put a machine level on the scope base.

The tricky part is getting your vise and rifle pointed in the right direction to see the tread.

When you get everything lined up you are ready to tighten the caps.
You can see your scope rotate as you tighten the ring caps down to much on one side or the other.

It is a little extra effort, but when you are done you will never have to wonder if your reticle is lined up plumb over the bore of your rifle.

Would this procedure be sufficient to level a scope to the fall of gravity? I hope I made sense cause I don't think I did. :D

I have been using Chucks IOTA with a S&B 1.1-4x20 ShortDot for some time. Primarily I find it useful for standing snap shooting practices as I regularly compete in matches where the targets are only exposed for 3 secs. I have been playing with simple Powerpoint slide shows with plain backgrounds but have recently added pictures of the actual range I shoot on so the match practice is even more representative. I can scale the targets up or down to represent actual target size at various distances. Here's a movie clip, actual PowerPoint slide show clarity and definition is far superior and works really well with an iPad.

Standing - YouTube

Target is exposed for 3 secs, the practice requires the shooter to stand with rifle at the ready alert pointing towards the ground at 45 degrees, on appearance of the target come on aim and dry fire one round, the return to the ready alert.

I have been using Chucks IOTA with a S&B 1.1-4x20 ShortDot for some time. Primarily I find it useful for standing snap shooting practices as I regularly compete in matches where the targets are only exposed for 3 secs. I have been playing with simple Powerpoint slide shows with plain backgrounds but have recently added pictures of the actual range I shoot on so the match practice is even more representative. I can scale the targets up or down to represent actual target size at various distances. Here's a movie clip, actual PowerPoint slide show clarity and definition is far superior and works really well with an iPad.

Standing - YouTube

Target is exposed for 3 secs, the practice requires the shooter to stand with rifle at the ready alert pointing towards the ground at 45 degrees, on appearance of the target come on aim and dry fire one round, the return to the ready alert.

That is very cool. Is it just one slide on loop or a series of slides?

does anyone knows if the IOTA is based on the flip-open or the multi-flex scope cap model? I'm looking for the correct size for the bushnell elite tactical 3-12-44, but the flip-open says it should be 34 and the multi-flex says 33-34.

Got my IOTA yesterday, threw it on there and was playing, I mean practicing, in the basement without scaring my neighbors. Will post some pics once I get the barricade setup and some small targets put up to practice on.

Thanks!

Received my IOTA from 264shooter last week. It works great, and Chuck's customer service is absolutely top notch!

This little device really makes indoor, close range, dry firing a treat. After working on my off-hand (standing w/sling) for just 15 minutes my wobble was reduced considerably. Practicing setting up for each dry fire "shot" I realized that the IOTA was making me much more aware of any setup inconsistencies. This resulted in much more consistent set up into my natural point of aim (NPA).

The IOTA is a great investment for your shooting. Highly recommended!

I also just received Chuck Neller's IOTA today, and after getting some time behind it this evening would definitely recommend it for any precision long range shooter. It's an innovative solution to resolve common scope parallax issues indoors, translating to meaningful dry fire practice without contending with an out of focus target, and provides an valuable training aid. It not only can be used for training purposes, but also a tremendous aid in scope leveling. Below is a #44 IOTA for a Bushnell XRS 4.5-30x50, a few pictures demonstrates the scope picture at max power (30x), through an IOTA, confirming a level scope setup at an incredible 11 ft away from the target.

IMG_0133_zpscceeb5a8.jpg

IMG_0132_zps3ddb9b6a.jpg

IMG_0123_zps97691dec.jpg

IMG_0124_zpsccc516d3.jpg

63659efa-09cd-45d4-bb75-1f606dfb653d_zpsebe633ad.jpg

IMG_0118_zps6f9ad585.jpg

IMG_0117_zps60a564b5.jpg

Thanks Chuck!

Got mine in last week... after using it for a week or so, its pretty amazing! Such a great idea!

I've been using mine for a couple of weeks, its very nice being able to dry fire practice inside. Thanks for making such a great product Chuck (264Shooter)!

I also just received mine and am veryyyyyyyyyyy happy with it. Thanks 264shooter!

Indoor Optical Training Aid (I.O.T.A.) ???

So...whatever happened to the I.O.T.A. concept? Is it available commercially (or privately)?

I ordered a couple of them from him in Jan. 2016. He accepts check or money orders. $60 each, shipped then.

email: [email protected]
Hide moniker: 264shooter

Chuck Neller
6970 Freedom Dr.
Sparks, NV 89436

I emailed and received a response same day.

When was this? Maybe he’s on vacation.

Yesterday. And I apologize, it was not same day but I emailed Thursday and received the response Friday, yesterday. So less than 24hrs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yesterday. And I apologize, it was not same day but I emailed Thursday and received the response Friday, yesterday. So less than 24hrs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ll resend my email, maybe it didn’t go through right.

Update. Resent the email yesterday and got a response today. Must’ve went into the junk folder or something the first time.

I just received my IOTA yesterday for my Vortex PST Gen 2. Chuck was great to work with! I have not had time to use it yet.

I am thinking about creating a PowerPoint with videos of Elk, deer, and other targets running around. Anyone have any advice?

4k videos and high res photos only or does standard work?
If I get it working I will figure out a way to share it... Does anyone have something like this already?
would youtube or other online video platforms work?

thanks in advance

I just received my IOTA yesterday for my Vortex PST Gen 2. Chuck was great to work with! I have not had time to use it yet.

I am thinking about creating a PowerPoint with videos of Elk, deer, and other targets running around. Anyone have any advice?

4k videos and high res photos only or does standard work?
If I get it working I will figure out a way to share it... Does anyone have something like this already?
would youtube or other online video platforms work?

thanks in advance

I'm looking to do the same. Let me know if you get a .ppt going. The 6.5 Guys had posted one to download but I had issues with my chromebook when I tried it. Ended up just doing google images for some still photos of ranges.

Does anyone have something like this already?

Yes, a member here has made one called IOTA Trainer. He put a link for download here a while back, I can't find it. He did a nice job with it, if someone can publish the hosted link it would be great. I can e-mail it to you but I don't feel right about putting it in the cloud or YouTube as it's not mine.

[email protected] is another way to reach me about the IOTA. Thanks All
Hello Chuck #264shooter,Is the lens oriented with the convex surface towards the muzzle or towards the shooter? It fell out of the scope cap and am not sure which way to put it back in. Since then the image doesn’t seem sharp in either orientation (no scratches on it).
Thanks.

Hello Chuck #264shooter,Is the lens oriented with the convex surface towards the muzzle or towards the shooter? It fell out of the scope cap and am not sure which way to put it back in. Since then the image doesn’t seem sharp in either orientation (no scratches on it).
Thanks.

@264shooter

Fixed it for ya.