• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I should have listened....

I DID lock tite the Area rail screws but DID torque it per the manufacturer recommendation. DIP asked for lock tite, but did not give a specific torque setting, therefore, I used lock tite and tightened them hand tight as to not strip the very small screw threads.

Basically I have followed both manufacturers recommendations. I’ll shoot the Area 419 rail this Sunday, and if it slips then or later, y’all will know about it. I will say it inspires more confidence though, larger screws and a rear lug and all.

edited due to me being forgetful... thanks @SLG for letting me know

Last edited:
I DID NOT lock tite the Area rail screws but DID torque it per the manufacturer recommendation. DIP asked for lock tite, but did not give a specific torque setting, therefore, I used lock tite and tightened them hand tight as to not strip the very small screw threads.

Basically I have followed both manufacturers recommendations. I’ll shoot the Area 419 rail this Sunday, and if it slips then or later, y’all will know about it. I will say it inspires more confidence though, larger screws and a rear lug and all.

Ok, I was just going off of what you said in post 25. Maybe I misunderstood.

Either way, it appears that the two rails do not actually work the same way, so hopefully the 419 performs better for you. My DIP is actually on a 452, so I'll just stick with my currently working DIP, but my kid's scout is a 455, so that may get a 419 in the near future.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Lol you’re right! I forgot I put lock tite on the Area rail... haha my bad.

So had a few good shots in today, was pressed for time and was only able to gather data to 71 yards. Best and one of the few groups was 3.37 MOA (ish) 5 shot. Most of the others I was trying to gather data. Hopefully next Sunday I will be able to push it out further and maybe do some dot drills. As you can tell, I have a LONG way to go.

Anyways, obligatory best group pic... fist round flyer is all me, jerked the piss out of that one, settled down for the last four. Shot from a rolled up wool blanket and a rear bag. Love the stock.
A94EC998-985E-4BA0-9C1A-821266CC5321.jpeg

Last edited:
I swapped my DIP rail over to my kid's scout, as those sights are pretty well useless. Mounted a Bushnell rimfire scope on it for her to try out. Seems ok so far, though I had to remove the rear sight to make it all fit. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the Scout shoots anywhere near as well as my 452 Varmint. Ordered a 419 for my rifle, thanks very much to everyone who posted info about it. Seems like a better fit for a heavy expensive scope, and will let me use lower rings. Might look a little funny on a small rifle like the Scout, with it's small scope. Hopefully the DIP continues to work well on the Scout.

has anyone just drilled and tapped the existing "rail" on the 452 american and just screwed a normal pic rail to the top? i'm having my 452 on order shipped to a smith to thread the barrel and considering having him d&t the receiver (rail) to just add a pic rail. any reason this won't work, vs throwing a dip, murphy, etc rail over the top of the existing rail?

That's very helpful, thanks very much! Looks like I'm going to try a 419 rail then...
I have the Area 419 and to me it’s way better than the DIP I found the dip to slide on easily while the Area 419 is very snug going on and had to tap it on and once torqued I don’t think it will ever move.

Here it is on my 455 with Sightron SIII 10-50x60which is not a lightweight scope.

Buy once...cry once

AF52F079-84FA-4BA3-8547-2DF36B92DB83.jpeg

Reactions: SLG and Skok3y
Last pic just as an update. Hopefully it still shoots as good as it did in the factory stock. Forend is flexible, but does not make contact with the sporter contour barrel. Need to eventually get an aluminum rail and buy an Atlas, sometime. For now I’ll just be happy shooting off a bag, barricades, obstacles, and a sling View attachment 6890927
Looks awesome ?? I have a KRG Bravo for a Tikka and like the quality of the KRG and if they come out with it for the 455 I might get it.

Got my 419 rail in the mail today, just mounted it up. Easy as pie. Super high quality, though at half the price I paid for the rifle, it should be. :) Fits my current rings better than the DIP rail did, and between the recoil lug and the clamp screws, I can't imagine it will go anywhere. Though in all fairness, I've never had the slightest bit of trouble with the DIP. Except, now I may have to buy one for my kids scout, just because it allows one extra lug forward, to help with eye relief on the short LOP stock the scout comes with. The bubble, as I suspected, is totally useless, but also probably only costs a dollar or two extra. Overall, it seems like a great piece of kit, from what I'm learning is a very innovative company.

Maybe I'm prissy, I don't like grub screws holding a rail to my gun. I went with EGW heavy duty instead of the DIP. I like it. No movement. A bit high, but works fine for my needs. I really like the level in the 419 though. Has this been around a long time? When I was in the market for one, I didn't run across it.

+1...Also bought the EGW Heavy Duty Rail and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble in countless rounds. I don't care for any mount like the DIP that uses grub screws on top to secure it. I've read of issues with it on several forums.