• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think I just found my go to cleaning solvent.

What jags are you guys using?

I bent mine somehow and want to get one non brass to not get false readings on copper.

Recently, I've read several articles that say you get best accuracy when you have enough copper in the bore to fill the rough spots that are usually there, in just about any barrel.

i like ones that have a spike on the tip.

I poke a corner and wrap the patch on the jag like a burrito.

I feel I get a better fit with more contact in the bore.

I never was able to scrub/short stroke with just stabbing and pushing a patch through.

While Benchresting we didn’t shoot a lot between cleanings so there was no need. Just push and go.

With shooting longer strings or weekends and a lot more powder per round i like to scrub back and forth.

Recently, I've read several articles that say you get best accuracy when you have enough copper in the bore to fill the rough spots that are usually there, in just about any barrel.

Most rifles do, it depends if your anal about keeping notes on your rifle of not.

I know my clean cold bore compared to fouled cold bore first shot and adjust.

If I’m going hunting etc I’ll hit the range before to foul the bore a little, so there is no debate.

Other guys will say don’t clean until the barrel shot out.

All depends what side of the fence your on

Yep, after a real deep cleaning it usually takes this particular tube a few rounds to get back in line. In fact I plan on getting a few shots off after work to get things back.

I shoot until accuracy starts to fall off and clean. I put a few foulers into the berm before I resume my fun.

Reactions: robb_va
Bore Tech Proof Positive Jag - Brownells
p_749101629_2.jpg

Pro-Shot Trace Eraser - Midway USA
tejjags.jpg
Thanks
I’ll give them a try.

Eliminator is what made me a believer in Bore Tech for cleaning products several months ago. I bought a bottle on recommendation and was blown away by how well it works. I've used almost every be cleaner out there and there's some that work a little better than others, but the good ones all work about the same. Eliminator works way better than all of them. Unless the fouling is heavy you don't even need to pull out a brush to clean. I run 3 soaking wet patches, let it sit for about 5 minutes, run another wet patch, and after another 5 minutes another wet patch and that's usually all thats needed. Even my 6.5x47 that had 600 rounds through it since cleaning cleaned right up like this.

About 2 months ago I bought a 6mm Proof Positive Bore Stix and a proof positive jag based on another recommendation after using Deweys for years, and again, Bore Tech is a superior product in every way. My Deweys would constantly unscrew during use which I never knew why until after I got the Bore Tech which didn't and I researched it and found out why. Bore Tech claims their's don't unscrew because of the bearing design, and damned if it doesn't work. I also love the 8-32 female thread tip so no silly adaptors to mess around with.

A week after I got the rod I ended up placing a big order at Bore Tech basically replacing everything. I got their bore guides, custom collars for my rifles, proof positive jags and nylon brushes in all the sizes I use, and a slew of other stuff. I can honestly say that Bore Tech is hands down the best cleaning products I've ever used and it makes gun cleaning not suck.

Also try their case cleaner in your SS tumblers. I started using it mid last year and it works wonders. I use about 1-1.5oz of it with warm water (no lemishine or dawn) and after 10 minutes my cases are clean. The short tumbling time eliminates the peened necks and mouths.

I've also heard the C4 is pretty much the best when it comes to removing carbon rings so I picked up 16oz of it too, but thankfully I haven't been able to test that yet.

Case cleaner, eh? Might have to give that a go...thanks for the heads up!

What jags are you guys using?

I bent mine somehow and want to get one non brass to not get false readings on copper.
I have been using parker hale brass round nosed cleaning jags and i wish i used them years ago you just wrap the patch around the jag and its held in place by how the jag is machined. It goes right through without having to putting alot of force just to get a little patch through the bore and stays in place nicley.

Last edited:
Since getting my John Hancock rifle, I wanted to follow PVA’s recommended cleaning procedures. I’ve had my rifle to the range one time, shot 40 rounds, and cleaned it using their recommendations. I ran about 15 patches through it until the patches came out clean. However, I wasn’t using their recommended cleaning solvent, I hadn’t ordered any at the time. PVA recommends Bore Tech Eliminator for cleaning their barrels. I ordered some, sat down this evening and I ran some patches of it through my “clean” barrel. Holy cow!! I don’t think I’ve ever had anything clean copper out of a barrel like this before, especially a clean barrel. Here’s a pic of my patches. The first four are wet patches, and the next two are dry. I think I found my go to cleaning solvent.

View attachment 7006981
best i've ever used !!!

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
So, because of this thread I went out and purchased some Boretech Eliminator and associated jags and brushes.

Ummm.....wow. This stuff works really well. My thanks to the OP for raising the awareness of this product.

Last edited:
I have been using parker hale brass round nosed cleaning jags and i wish i used them years ago you just wrap the patch around the jag and its held in place by how the jag is machined. It goes right through without having to putting alot of force just to get a little patch through the bore and stays in place nicley.

I haven't seen any non-brass versions of these. Are you aware of any? I'd like to try them, but the brass gives false positives.

Since getting my John Hancock rifle, I wanted to follow PVA’s recommended cleaning procedures. I’ve had my rifle to the range one time, shot 40 rounds, and cleaned it using their recommendations. I ran about 15 patches through it until the patches came out clean. However, I wasn’t using their recommended cleaning solvent, I hadn’t ordered any at the time. PVA recommends Bore Tech Eliminator for cleaning their barrels. I ordered some, sat down this evening and I ran some patches of it through my “clean” barrel. Holy cow!! I don’t think I’ve ever had anything clean copper out of a barrel like this before, especially a clean barrel. Here’s a pic of my patches. The first four are wet patches, and the next two are dry. I think I found my go to cleaning solvent.

View attachment 7006981
Thanks for the heads up, Ive been thinking about trying Boretech products. Ive read the Boretech C4 is the best for cleaning caked on carbon from a brake. Im interested in before/ after photos of how good this works.

I haven't seen any non-brass versions of these. Are you aware of any? I'd like to try them, but the brass gives false positives.
No i havent but i sure do like how yha dont have to fight it when i clean my gun
I did by some of that bore tech about a month ago on sombodys recomendation.
I will for sure give it a try now

Boretech sells what they call their Proof Positive jags. They are supposed to NOT give any false indications. I haven't tried them, but I may order a couple and give them a try.

From thier website:

Description

Bore Tech’s innovative Proof-Positive Rifle Patch Jags eliminate the false indication of copper fouling that is common with all traditional brass jags when using copper removing cleaners.
Constructed from a proprietary alloy and engineered to provide superior cleaning, these jags set the standard for effective, non-brass, 100% barrel safe jags. Are your barrels PROOF-POSTIVE clean?

https://www.boretech.com/products/proof-positive-rifle-jag

I’ve been using wipe out/patch out with accelerator. I’ve been happy with the copper removing abilities but not so much with the carbon in the throat area. I’ve tried wipe outs carbon remover but that doesn’t seem to work on the carbon in the throat well.
I just ordered the Bore tech eliminator and the C4 based on the info in this thread. We’ll see if it works any better.

Reactions: TACC and tomcfc11
I’ve been using wipe out/patch out with accelerator. I’ve been happy with the copper removing abilities but not so much with the carbon in the throat area. I’ve tried wipe outs carbon remover but that doesn’t seem to work on the carbon in the throat well.
I just ordered the Bore tech eliminator and the C4 based on the info in this thread. We’ll see if it works any better.
I’ve been using wipeout also and my experience is the same. Works good on cooper but not carbon.

Reactions: TACC
Boretech is the shit - their copper remover and their carbon remover is the best - just soak your MB in it, carbon wipes off.

Reactions: TACC
Boretech sells what they call their Proof Positive jags. They are supposed to NOT give any false indications. I haven't tried them, but I may order a couple and give them a try.

From thier website:

Description

Bore Tech’s innovative Proof-Positive Rifle Patch Jags eliminate the false indication of copper fouling that is common with all traditional brass jags when using copper removing cleaners.
Constructed from a proprietary alloy and engineered to provide superior cleaning, these jags set the standard for effective, non-brass, 100% barrel safe jags. Are your barrels PROOF-POSTIVE clean?

https://www.boretech.com/products/proof-positive-rifle-jag

They work exactly as advertised. After ordering a 6mm jag to try them I ordered jags in all the calibers I shoot.

Boretech is the shit - their copper remover and their carbon remover is the best - just soak your MB in it, carbon wipes off.

It'd be nice if they made a kit for suppressors, if it works as well as you say. (A kit that has a tube that holds the suppressor, enough cleaner to fill the tube with the suppressor, and a way to drain off the cleaner for re-use.)

Wanted a dedicated carbon remover after running out of Carbon killer. I bought some Boretech C4 last week after hearing rumblings about Boretech. I’ve never been able to get my crown completely clean with the Slip2000 and nylon brush. With the C4 I applied it with some extra that was on my fingers, walked away for 5 minutes, and wiped it off almost completely with a paper towel. 5 seconds with the nylon brush and it was good as new. Barrel cleaned up in a jiffy too despite having 400-500 rounds on it after letting it sit in the barrel for 20 minutes. I’ve used A LOT of different cleaning shit since I used to have demos thrown at me and the only other product I’ve used that cleans this effortlessly is Gunzilla CLP.

Been looking for a new bore cleaner. Gonna have to check this stuff out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Well, ordered some eliminator, a bore tech rod, proof positive jags and brushes. Any recommendations for a bore guide?

It'd be nice if they made a kit for suppressors, if it works as well as you say. (A kit that has a tube that holds the suppressor, enough cleaner to fill the tube with the suppressor, and a way to drain off the cleaner for re-use.)

Piece of PVC pipe with an end cap glued on one end is all you need. Stand it up, insert can, fill it with C4, and walk away

Well, ordered some eliminator, a bore tech rod, proof positive jags and brushes. Any recommendations for a bore guide?

Bore tech’s bore guides are the best there are. They come in different sizes so that the entire guide actually fits the rod properly, not just a large universal site with a different size tip. They also offer custom collar sizes so you can get a perfect fit to any action.

Reactions: TACC and MarinePMI
For all you cheap bastards like me...CLR is as good a carbon remover as any I've tried. I always clean with a few CLR patches first and finish up with WipeOut Patch Out, I've never been disappointed.

Needed a cleaning rod for my new 223 SBR so figured I would place an order. Proof positive jags and brushes for 22 and 30 with the Cu+2 copper remover along with my 30 inch cleaning rod. My other rod is a Montana X-Treme for 270-50 Cal so it obviously would not fit my SBR. Good cleaning rod, just as good as the Boretech. Would have bought another one, but this thread changed that.
Got it in today, cleaned 3 rifles that have never had a straight copper cleaner applied to them.

The 223 SBR, brand new Criterion barrel, only had 40 rounds through it and was then cleaned with just an Ottis boresnake, bronze brush, and a cotton swab soaked in Lucas bore solvent. This cleaned up just fine, ran a few wet patches, wet brush, some more wet patches till clean, and dry patched. The patches were really tight if I put them centered on the jag, couldn't push them through. Otherwise the jag was nice, bought the patch size they suggested as well.

My other two guns, my DD 300 Blk and Sig 716 in 308 are another story. I punched and punched and punched and brushed and punched and punched and punched till quite frankly, I was sick and fucking tired of it. I always had a green dirty patch, but was not as bad as when I started. So not sure if I can ever get these two copper free. I may try again after I get them sighted in at the indoor range. Only 25 yards, just want to get them on paper. Just got done shuffling my scopes and bases around..
Now I don't keep a round count, on these two guns. Both are up around 500 rounds and I clean probably every 150-200 or so.

Think I'll pick up their bore guides next as well as their eliminator, which I think I saw at Gander. Done with Lucas gun cleaners, the gun oil isn't that bad though. Probably go buy a harbor freight sonic cleaner and use the lucas in that. Need something to dump my BCG in.

I mean you bought all their other stuff, they got bore guides too.
Piece of PVC pipe with an end cap glued on one end is all you need. Stand it up, insert can, fill it with C4, and walk away

Bore tech’s bore guides are the best there are. They come in different sizes so that the entire guide actually fits the rod properly, not just a large universal site with a different size tip. They also offer custom collar sizes so you can get a perfect fit to any action.

I was hesitant about getting it because I tend to find universal things generally don’t work that well. But based in these recommendations I guess I’ll be ordering one up! Thanks a lot guys!

I was hesitant about getting it because I tend to find universal things generally don’t work that well. But based in these recommendations I guess I’ll be ordering one up! Thanks a lot guys!

They aren’t universal though. They make 3 different sizes just in centerfire ones and each one is correctly sized to the corresponding sized rod. It’s not just a different size tip like most guides, the entire tube is to scale. They also offer custom collars so you can properly fit it to each action. There’s really nothing universal about them.

They aren’t universal though. They make 3 different sizes just in centerfire ones and each one is correctly sized to the corresponding sized rod. It’s not just a different size tip like most guides, the entire tube is to scale. They also offer custom collars so you can properly fit it to each action. There’s really nothing universal about them.

Ah got it. You don’t hear much about them compared to others. I’m going to give it a go

Boretech + time is the key like folks have mentioned...

Patchout plus accelerator is more of a foamy cleaner- and I can get it nearly as clean as BT eliminator with a bit more elbow grease in a shorter amount of time. But I like BT the most because it leaves no residue.

Ah got it. You don’t hear much about them compared to others. I’m going to give it a go

You won't be disappointed. I've got Possum Hollows (meh), tipton (POS), Lyman (good for the money), stoney point (decent but no longer available), and Lucas (amazing products but more $$ and they're proprietary). The only thing that compares that I've used in the Lucas, but you have to wait for them to be made, they cost more than a Bore Tech with a couple custom collars added, and they're propriatary to that action and bore.

You won't be disappointed. I've got Possum Hollows (meh), tipton (POS), Lyman (good for the money), stoney point (decent but no longer available), and Lucas (amazing products but more $$ and they're proprietary). The only thing that compares that I've used in the Lucas, but you have to wait for them to be made, they cost more than a Bore Tech with a couple custom collars added, and they're propriatary to that action and bore.

Thanks for the feedback. I was originally going with Lucas, but was waiting on my boretech rod because he needs the diameter. Worth getting a custom collar if it’s just for a Remington 700? That’ll be nice because I preordered an Archimedes and I can use it for that also

Thanks for the feedback. I was originally going with Lucas, but was waiting on my boretech rod because he needs the diameter. Worth getting a custom collar if it’s just for a Remington 700? That’ll be nice because I preordered an Archimedes and I can use it for that also

Nope, the one it comes with is the correct fit for 700's.

BTW here's what 5mins of tumbling does with 100 pieces of dirty 6.5x47 brass, 8lbs of STM media, 1 gallon of hot water, and 1.5oz of bore tech case cleaner. The higher concentration of SS pins to brass and this cleaner eliminates the needs for long tumbling times that peen the necks and flare case mouths.

It gets the primer pockets about 90% clean. I tumble again for 5 mins after sizing and trimming to remove the lube and any brass shavings from trimming/chamfering on the Giraud and that takes care of the rest of the carbon in the pockets. 10 minutes total of tumbling time and that's it.

Reactions: TACC and MarinePMI
This thread has me sold. Just filled up my cart on the Bore Tech site and making a purchase right now.

Thanks for all the feedback here

Just wish the shipping cost wasn't so brutal...

This thread has me sold. Just filled up my cart on the Bore Tech site and making a purchase right now.

Thanks for all the feedback here

Just wish the shipping cost wasn't so brutal...

Yeah the shipping directly from boretech is just out of hand. You can find some on Amazon with free shipping, depending on what you are looking for. I was going to buy a couple of rods directly from boretech, but got them directly from Amazon without the $40+ shipping cost.

Reactions: ebnash
can you slip a small amount
in ultra sonic cleaner?

Still a Wipe Out Patch Out fan with nylon bristle brushes. I do an initial wet brush, 5 strokes, a patch, then another wet brush for 5 strokes, let it sit half a day, patch and re-wet w a brush, let it sit over night. Next morning a wet patch then 2 dry patches, then a light coat of synthetic ATF. All done. Bore Tech posts come up every few months for the last decade as far as what I've seen. Nothing against it.

Yeah I bought my solvents (except for the case cleaner) on amazon and rods at Brownells. With the coupon codes (and free shipping) at Brownells the ride were less expensive, and the. The Amazon prime prices were way less than everyone else and free shipping. I have a Amazon business account too so that might also effect the pricing.

I ordered the case cleaner directly from them because nobody else stocked it, and then I ordered the bore guides, collars, jags, and brushes from them as well and shipping was pretty cheap.

Still a Wipe Out Patch Out fan with nylon bristle brushes. I do an initial wet brush, 5 strokes, a patch, then another wet brush for 5 strokes, let it sit half a day, patch and re-wet w a brush, let it sit over night. Next morning a wet patch then 2 dry patches, then a light coat of synthetic ATF. All done. Bore Tech posts come up every few months for the last decade as far as what I've seen. Nothing against it.

I’ve used wipe out and while it works good it doesn’t compare to eliminator. Even the worst copper fouling is cleaned up in less than a half hour including sitting time. With my ADHD I couldn’t stay focused long enough to clean a gun for a day and a half.

Yeah the shipping directly from boretech is just out of hand. You can find some on Amazon with free shipping, depending on what you are looking for. I was going to buy a couple of rods directly from boretech, but got them directly from Amazon without the $40+ shipping cost.

Great tip. Going to save me about $70 for my order. Thanks

Reactions: jojotheclown
For all you cheap bastards like me...CLR is as good a carbon remover as any I've tried. I always clean with a few CLR patches first and finish up with WipeOut Patch Out, I've never been disappointed.

I’d skip using CLR in and of my rifles. Ravage88 posted the below in the rimfire forum:

“There's also been discussion/threads promoting CLR (of the Home Depot variety) as a good cleaning agent, but I've found it to be a terrible solution for barrel cleaning. It's hard to see exactly what happens inside the barrel, so I tested the solution on various steels, including the more expensive and robust tool steels. Every material was etched (eroded) with what would be considered normal exposure (as if cleaning a barrel bore).”

I was thinking about trying CLR based on some other discussions here on Snipershide, but based on this limited test my barrels will never see any CLR. I do have a short stub from a Hart stainless match barrel sitting here. I may just put some CLR on it to see what happens

I use a 50/50 mix of CLR/water for cleaning suppressors. That being said, I've always been leery of using it in the bore, especially after I saw what it did to a muzzle brake that was straight CLR.

I use straight CLR on my muzzle breaks but that’s as far as I’ll go with that.
I got my Boretech Eliminator and C4 the other day. I will say that it removes more copper in less time. I always had a few streaks of copper in the bore at the muzzle end that I could see after using wipe out. I have had problems with carbon building up in the throat in the past so I always scrub my throat. I ordered some aggressive VFG pellets and used those in conjunction with the C4 and it appeared with my borescope that the throat cleaned up a little better than normal. Could’ve been the pellets or it could’ve been the combo with the C4. Either way looks better than usual

Boretech and C4 are great.
In order not to catch false copper and easy to pierce patches, i use a homemade 7076 yagds with a sharp steel needle. Very comfortably.

Attachments

• 20190208_003858.jpg
    20190208_003858.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 77