• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I think I met a long range God today.

Longest I've shot my 223 is 600 yards. And I thought that was pretty much the max range for 223, as accuracy drops off significantly beyond 600.
I have gone to 1200 on an ipsc... At night with witnesses lol.. very lucky...

It's doable past 600 but the wind is killer and probabilities of a hit go away down past 800 imo
I've got my Remington 5R with a 20" barrel sub MOA out to 800. Ran out of day light. Good ammo helps, That was with Remington 77 grain match. I'd love to put a 26" Bart on it.

It is quite doable.

You just need a good, accurate setup and a good load.

Oh, and not much wind.
My boss won a bet popping a balloon in the wind with his AR-15 at 850 yards. Life long hunter who learned to read the wind. And holdovers. Weapon of choice? An AR-15 from Windham Weaponry. He turned me on to them and so I have an AR-15 (Dissipator M4 A3) and an AR-10 (R16SFST-308) from them. Excellent rifles. 4150M chrome moly barrels that you can drive like you stole it. And accurate.

Reactions: jrassy
either the level of bullshit is increasing, or my tolerance for hearing it is growing....or both.

i am just going to stop there....because i have to go to bed soon and if i start sharing examples i am going to get my blood pressure up and i wont be able to sleep. in short.....FUCK the bozos.

Reactions: jrassy and Ronws
My boss won a bet popping a balloon in the wind with his AR-15 at 850 yards. Life long hunter who learned to read the wind. And holdovers. Weapon of choice? An AR-15 from Windham Weaponry. He turned me on to them and so I have an AR-15 (Dissipator M4 A3) and an AR-10 (R16SFST-308) from them. Excellent rifles. 4150M chrome moly barrels that you can drive like you stole it. And accurate.
same people who started bushmaster. i had one with iron sights that i shot side by side with another rifle at 200 yards off sandbags when i was sighting the other rifle in just because i wanted to see how much better i did through the scope versus the iron sights. to my shock, i shot 1 1/2 3 shot group with the iron sights and the other group was a 3 inch group at 200 with the scope. one of these days i have to set up and see if i can do it again...which i doubt because i have reached that point in life where my vision just isnt what it was.

Here is a reenactment. go to time stamp: 04:06 to get closer to the action.

I'm at the age when videos like that arouse me more than pictures of scantily clad women. Thank you, kind sir, for posting that.

A few years ago, I was at the LGS and talking to a salesman at the counter. I cannot remember how we got on the subject but I was talking about my custom made Sharps rifle. I told him that the rifle has a 34 inch barrel.

Then I heard a gruff voice behind me say, "You don't need a barrel that long on a .45-70. All you need is about 18 inches to hunt deer."

I told him that I do a lot of black powder cartridge shooting. A barrel that long is needed because I shoot a paper jacketed bullet with a long freebore and 65 grains of powder. Besides, the longer sight radius comes in handy when shooting with iron sights.

He taps his chest in an authoritarian manner and says, "Marine Corps sniper!"

I told him that I didn't care what he did and he doesn't know a darn thing about shooting black powder cartridges. At that he walked away.

Then the salesman and I talked about real long range shooting.

either the level of bullshit is increasing, or my tolerance for hearing it is growing....or both.

i am just going to stop there....because i have to go to bed soon and if i start sharing examples i am going to get my blood pressure up and i wont be able to sleep. in short.....FUCK the bozos.

Well at least we don't have to read about people bragging about their sexual exploits - yet.

PS: Some lies about someone's sexual exploits might be more believable than their shooting skills 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Modoc
I was minding my own business at the gun counter and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds with his AR "I can shoot .75 MOA at 1700 yards, I can hit 50 of 75 playing cards at that distance. (Don't know how that equates to .75 Moa at 1700)

I said well you must be one of the top shooters in the world

"I was number three in the nation when I was 17, and when I turned 18 the DOD recruited me to kill people over seas."

He got mad and left when I said "yeah okay".

Guess I missed my chance at an autograph, darn.
How much did he bench?

same people who started bushmaster. i had one with iron sights that i shot side by side with another rifle at 200 yards off sandbags when i was sighting the other rifle in just because i wanted to see how much better i did through the scope versus the iron sights. to my shock, i shot 1 1/2 3 shot group with the iron sights and the other group was a 3 inch group at 200 with the scope. one of these days i have to set up and see if i can do it again...which i doubt because i have reached that point in life where my vision just isnt what it was.
My M4 A3, out of the box. (I mean, I went to the FFL that was also a range and transferred it and then went into the range.) Combat zeroed from the factory at 25-300 yards. The M4 A3 still has the iron sights. the R16SFST-308, however, has a FFP scope on it.

I was minding my own business at the gun counter and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds with his AR "I can shoot .75 MOA at 1700 yards, I can hit 50 of 75 playing cards at that distance. (Don't know how that equates to .75 Moa at 1700)

"I was number three in the nation when I was 17, and when I turned 18 the DOD recruited me to kill people over seas."

he is outside your house now , staring in, with that look
open the door, let him in, and see how it goes

He was probably hitting on you, do you give off a 'gay vibe' or dress like one of the village people?
Sounds like he really wanted to impress you

I hear people talk all sort of uneducated shit about long range shooting these days
I just laugh quietly to myself and say wow that is awesome dude, you are an amazing shot
and just walk away
Cum to think of it my dick was hanging out.

I’ve met the mentioned:
IMG_3654.png

Guy on the left.
Guy on the right is just a circus performer.
That’s his trainer, in the back, coming to get back to the big top.

R

I'm at the age when videos like that arouse me more than pictures of scantily clad women. Thank you, kind sir, for posting that.

A few years ago, I was at the LGS and talking to a salesman at the counter. I cannot remember how we got on the subject but I was talking about my custom made Sharps rifle. I told him that the rifle has a 34 inch barrel.

Then I heard a gruff voice behind me say, "You don't need a barrel that long on a .45-70. All you need is about 18 inches to hunt deer."

I told him that I do a lot of black powder cartridge shooting. A barrel that long is needed because I shoot a paper jacketed bullet with a long freebore and 65 grains of powder. Besides, the longer sight radius comes in handy when shooting with iron sights.

He taps his chest in an authoritarian manner and says, "Marine Corps sniper!"

I told him that I didn't care what he did and he doesn't know a darn thing about shooting black powder cartridges. At that he walked away.

Then the salesman and I talked about real long range shooting.
Oh man does that sound familiar. Running a 40-65 Remington Rolling block, but with pearl lube (soy wax, bees wax, and lanolin). His question was “What is a 40-65?” After his brags, I so wanted to take him out to the range and see if he could hit the NRA Ram at 500m using my dope.

Reactions: Longshot231
It is amazing to take some of these “shooters” to a KD range and have them tell you how far the target lines are. They get it wrong even when it’s posted on the shooting position. 🤣

@Longshot231 , C-Sharps or Shiloh? MVA Long or Medium Staff?
It started out life as a Pedersoli Sharps kit gun. Yes they made them back then. It was 1993 when I had it made.

I replaced the rear sight in the photo with a Soule sight and the Hadley eye disc made by MVA.

The rifle shoots best with a swaged soft lead 420 grain soft lead paper jacketed bullet and 65 grains of FFG powder.

The last batch of loads didn't work so good. I thought I could take scrap hard lead and and get the same performance. My rounds went everywhere. I won't try that again.

I've grown weary of cleaning up the brass after it's been shot with black powder.

I usually shoot by myself and sometimes it's difficult to get a good spotter because they aren't use to the time of flight that can be measured with a calendar. The wait can be agonizing.

Then If the wind isn't blowing very much, I cannot see the impact because of the lingering smoke.

So, I'm switching to smokeless powder. I have some loads made up with the same bullet but using 28.3 grains of Accurate 5744 but haven't tried them yet. Hopefully, I can get close to the same performance as the black powder load.

Sharps 1.jpg
Sharps 2.jpg

I met a guy a few weeks ago that could shoot 0.5" groups at 500 yards with his Savage 338LM.

I congratulated him on being a world record shooter and should go into every national competition... and asked a few questions... because inquiring minds need to know...what ballistic software do you use? Applied Ballistics, Strelok, Field Firing Solutions? Cold Bore? What bullet? BC?

His answer: "I just shoot, man." And he gets up and walks away. 🤡

Last edited:
It started out life as a Pedersoli Sharps kit gun. Yes they made them back then. It was 1993 when I had it made.

I replaced the rear sight in the photo with a Soule sight and the Hadley eye disc made by MVA.

The rifle shoots best with a swaged soft lead 420 grain soft lead paper jacketed bullet and 65 grains of FFG powder.

The last batch of loads didn't work so good. I thought I could take scrap hard lead and and get the same performance. My rounds went everywhere. I won't try that again.

I've grown weary of cleaning up the brass after it's been shot with black powder.

I usually shoot by myself and sometimes it's difficult to get a good spotter because they aren't use to the time of flight that can be measured with a calendar. The wait can be agonizing.

Then If the wind isn't blowing very much, I cannot see the impact because of the lingering smoke.

So, I'm switching to smokeless powder. I have some loads made up with the same bullet but using 28.3 grains of Accurate 5744 but haven't tried them yet. Hopefully, I can get close to the same performance as the black powder load.

View attachment 8255166View attachment 8255167
Very beautiful! My rolling block isn’t that nice. My next purchase is a GOOD Soule sight, either MVA or Pedresoli.
My home club is one of the few that offers BPCR matches on a regular basis. Unfortunately for me there are too many cool shooting sports available for my time and money. 🥴

View attachment 8255166View attachment 8255167
Re: smokeless replacement for black powder.

I have a 30-40 Krag and it's recommended to use 40gr IMR 4320 with the original 220gr bullet as it's very close to the same burn rate as black powder.

Your mileage may vary, but just wanted to toss out some knowledge in case you hadn't heard/known.

@Longshot231 , I know that About the spotter. When doing CAS long range on a 4x8 Buffalo target, it’s BOOM….Hit….Clang! And if the lighting is right, the spotter will see the bullet ARC in on the target. 🤣🤣

There was one old timer who would shoot the 1000yard benchrest match at another club with a Trapdoor Springfield and be in the top half of the shooters.

I like to go into the local shop and the gun shows and say stooopid shit like this just because I know that the guy behind the table or the other customers are going to be talking about it for weeks. The guy that owns the local gun shop just smiles as I walk away.
Some of y'all take life too serious.

Serious question here. Is it really a thing for people with ARs (or any .223 rifle for that matter) to take it out to 1,000 yards and beyond? Yeah, I know I can look in the long range section, but I'm asking here not there.
Yes easily on ipsc sized targets in mild conditions

Reactions: lash
Uhhh, how far will a semi truck go with a hole in the radiator? You may have been correct that that particular shooter couldn't do it, but I think the 06 could.
Unless you managed to punch the bottom tank radiator, it could go thousands of miles still. Hundreds probably still with small water leak down low. Probably thousands again if they don't care about the engine. Years back one of the Farms we did a lot of work for bought some trucks after Aero went out of business. One either came in without water, or they drained it and didn't refill it. They put it to work in the field and didnt notice it getting hot because with no water it just looked like the temp gauge didn't work. IT stated running weird or something, they claimed when the pulled the hood up the engine was glowing red. IT had already made a bunch of runs hauling silage. That truck ran for at least the next three seasons. 3406E Cat.

I like to go into the local shop and the gun shows and say stooopid shit like this just because I know that the guy behind the table or the other customers are going to be talking about it for weeks. The guy that owns the local gun shop just smiles as I walk away.
Some of y'all take life too serious.
A guy a knew who did a lot of demolition derbies would always put weird stuff all over his engine, tubes, gauges, and wires. One time he put a turbo on the air intake, it would whir and whine but nothing was driving it. He always did pretty well so people would always be talking about what the stuff was and what it might do for him. It was all just a bunch of bullshit to get people talking, and slight of hand to distract from other rules that were being stretched.
Just shoot the plastic def tank. It'll code and shut down. Fjb
5mph is still going kind of. 🤣

And the guy to his right is all “yeah you are,” with the guy behind going “No backsies….”

Unless he was using a Mosin and Bulgarian heavy ball and the rifle had a PU scope he ain't shit.

We have a 400 pound guy who wears a red satin USMC jacket who can do that. He was using the Mosin in question as a crutch at the gunshow last year, barrel dragging on the concrete floor only polished the crown and improved the accuracy.

Eh, I can hit 7/10 playing cards at 100y with a 22 pistol, open-sights and off-hand.

But I also sport-bang models.

I guess some of us are just built different.

A wanna be veteran in the scope section of the local indoor range, was telling my son and I he had buried 800 yards of 6ft cement culvert pipe, and regularly shoots his 308 in it from end to end...sure thing boomer...

I was minding my own business at the local gun store counter waiting my turn and a guy started telling me about how he shoots playing cards at 1700yds with his AR "I can shoot .75 MOA at 1700 yards, I can hit 50 of 75 playing cards at that distance. (Don't know how that equates to .75 Moa at 1700)

I would have said, "I can shoot 0.50 MOA with an SKS at 1800 yards, the Ministry of Defense recruited me to kill people like you, but we must have never crossed paths overseas or else you wouldn't be here right now. Nice to meet you though, if you want to buy me lunch you can tell me some of your stories and I'll come up with my own while you're talking and then I'll tell you mine."

• Haha
Reactions: akmike47