• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns I want a Tomahawk can I see some?

SSG3K

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 31, 2003
    Mi
    I like the RMJ but what are some other options?

thanks

Re: I want a Tomahawk can I see some?

I would go for the RMJ. I've wanted one for years, but have never pulled taken the plunge.

I like the RMJ too, but that is big bucks for something I am even less likely to use in anger than my Sig P-220.

Nevertheless, I wanted a hawk, and my wife got me one of these for xmas...

Very sharp, sturdy handle, and hand forged to boot.

2011RogersRanger.jpg

http://www.fortturner.com/store/index.htm

Vector Hawks. They are on Bladeforums. His specialty is in the handles, which are freaking unbreakable. The heads are hand picked Cold Steel. Very nice hawk.

gregsgripshawks002.jpg

gregsgripshawks003.jpg

gregsgripshawks004.jpg

url]

gregsgripshawks005.jpg

Pimp your own Cold Steel hawks.
    smile.gif

IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

SpikeHawkFilework2.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

There are a lot of hawk makers out there. I have always been partial to the RMJ variety.

ec321956.jpg

a876a6de.jpg

I've been throwing knives, saw blades, modified door hinges (don't ask), homemade "torpedo's" (http://www.coldsteel.com/torpedo.html) and tomahawks since I was about 10 and always enjoyed throwing something similar to this:

http://www.coldsteel.com/frontier-hawk.html

I have been very happy with Gil Hibben's throwing knives, so I would also give this http://budk.com/Outdoor-Sports/Gil-Hibben-Pro-Throwing-Axe a serious look.

For what do you intend to use this tomahawk? There are some that are great for camp use and some are great for throwing. Some are a pretty good compromise between the two uses. I'm not sure why else a guy would buy one, except that some of these are obviously ornate/novelty items (chainring, would you ever really throw/use that gorgeous thing?!? Please say no!
    laugh.gif
    ).

Someone enlighten me; are people buying tomahawks intending to use them in combat? Maybe it's an awesome idea, but my gut reaction says: "Somebody has watched 'The Patriot' too many times...."
    smile.gif
    No disrespect intended, as I know that not every toy need be practical; just asking.

-The Kid.

I just like to waste money on stupid shit, plus its cheap.

Rich

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been throwing knives, saw blades, modified door hinges (don't ask), homemade "torpedo's" (http://www.coldsteel.com/torpedo.html) and tomahawks since I was about 10 and always enjoyed throwing something similar to this:

http://www.coldsteel.com/frontier-hawk.html

I have been very happy with Gil Hibben's throwing knives, so I would also give this http://budk.com/Outdoor-Sports/Gil-Hibben-Pro-Throwing-Axe a serious look.

For what do you intend to use this tomahawk? There are some that are great for camp use and some are great for throwing. Some are a pretty good compromise between the two uses. I'm not sure why else a guy would buy one, except that some of these are obviously ornate/novelty items (chainring, would you ever really throw/use that gorgeous thing?!? Please say no!
    laugh.gif
    ).

Someone enlighten me; are people buying tomahawks intending to use them in combat? Maybe it's an awesome idea, but my gut reaction says: "Somebody has watched 'The Patriot' too many times...."
    smile.gif
    No disrespect intended, as I know that not every toy need be practical; just asking.

-The Kid. </div></div>

I know far too many people that carried them hoping to use them on the enemy. None that i knew ever did. I think the major positive was they made guys look like straight killers, and they are actually really useful tools when you are flipping homes on searches.

I could see them useful in the woods too. Ive often thought about getting one but never really wanted to lay out the dough on them. They seem kinda expensive.

Dude, throwing 'hawks are a total blast! Get one and learn to be good with it. Awesome and rare man-skill with which to show off when the need arises and it further develops hand-eye coordination. 'Hawks are much easier to throw than you might expect and certainly easier than knives, but they require discipline to really master. Please don't think I was trying to discourage you from buying one; just wanting to clarify motive of purchase.

Well dang it!
    Opened up this thread to see what kind of mall ninja entertainment was in store; always thought the whole tomahawk thing was kinda pointless and stupid.
    Well.. this thread lead me to googling cold steel tomahawks.

Holy crap customizing one of those looks like a fun project!!!

So.... I now have a cold steel trail hawk on order.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well dang it!
    Opened up this thread to see what kind of mall ninja entertainment was in store; always thought the whole tomahawk thing was kinda pointless and stupid.
    Well.. this thread lead me to googling cold steel tomahawks.

Holy crap customizing one of those looks like a fun project!!!

So.... I now have a cold steel trail hawk on order. </div></div>

wink.gif

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/483042-Mod-ing-The-CS-Trail-Hawk

chainring [img said:

Ha ha ya i found that, think i've scanned about 50 pages of it. Projects like this are fun, especially when there's something i havn't tried before.
    Ran by radio shack and got a bottle of the PCB etchant stuff to attempt the etching. Think I have everything else.
    Just waiting for mail man to drop off the hatchet now.

It's gonna suck when summer gets here; work fires back up, and i have no BS time.

I swear when seen the <span style="font-weight: bold">SSG3K </span>name attached to the post, these are the first two I thought he was wanting.

Tomahawk-Missile-308907.jpeg
    dodge-tomahawk.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone enlighten me; are people buying tomahawks intending to use them in combat? Maybe it's an awesome idea, but my gut reaction says: "Somebody has watched 'The Patriot' too many times...."
    smile.gif

-The Kid.</div></div>

Yes, they are.

CKfromNR.jpg

Active duty 3rd group guy, instructor for Northern Red too.

Well here's what this thread made me do. Read my posts above to get the background here.
    Ended up not doing any etching, couldn't think anything i wanted on it.
    Started with a cold steel trail hawk, can of elbow grease, and a few shots of tinkerin fuel.
    2012-02-23_19-59-05_923.jpg

2012-02-23_19-57-20_992.jpg

chainring said:

SpikeHawkFilework2.jpg

How did you do the metal work on your hawk? Dremel, file, other?

Thanks

guys carry em, i have seen the RMJ's used for breaching

a5faf84b.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pimp your own Cold Steel hawks.
    smile.gif

IMG_9247.jpg

IMG_9246.jpg

IMG_9248.jpg

IMG_9242.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_8636.jpg

IMG_8641.jpg

SpikeHawkFilework2.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg
    </div></div>

That is too sweet!!! Is that any kind of particular wood?

Rich

just picked up a RMJ last week. if you want to see one in person let me know

Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRB45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    chainring said:

SpikeHawkFilework2.jpg

How did you do the metal work on your hawk? Dremel, file, other?

Thanks </div></div>

The "filework" was done on a 1 inch small wheel attachment for a KMG from Beaumont Metalworks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Vaq</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    That is too sweet!!! Is that any kind of particular wood? </div></div>

The handles are the original hickory handle that comes from Cold steel, but I strip, burn with a torch, stain, and oil them for that look.
    smile.gif

They make for fun projects!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">guys carry em, i have seen the RMJ's used for breaching

a5faf84b.jpg
    </div></div>

What kinda ghurka is that? Looks stout...

Wow, two hours and order placed for some CS hawks later.... I've got some new shit to plan on messing with. Chainring, your etch work pulled top honor IMO and is, in large part, responsible for costing me time and money tonight. Very cool!!

i had it made overseas from a railroad tie, can't really order it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i had it made overseas from a railroad tie, can't really order it </div></div>

Rats. Cool piece.

DTask, I'm sorry about that!
    smile.gif
    Thanks for the kind words. You'll have fun with your hawk mods. Careful, your buddies are gonna want you to do a few for them.
    wink.gif

I have a SOG fusion and its OK for what it is, an absolute survival tool. My father had an old school one that is a lot like Chainring's, and that is actually what you want. The head slid off, went into a leather sheath, the handle just went into your bag. When we would be out fishing, handle is a nice fish bopper (kings would rattle the boat something fierce), other end had a hammer end so you could beat in tent pegs.

I use mine in my "survival back pack", this is the one I use when I fly cross country, old habit from flying in AK where it was required.

My dad was amazing with his tomahawk, I remember one time someone asking on a fishing trip what was the most important thing he had... The rifle? The handgun? The what? When he said the tomahawk I was listening closely, and I have tried to have an axe with me always since.

When you need an axe, holy crap do you need one. There is nothing worse than making a fire with some stupid knife.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spot69221</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I swear when seen the <span style="font-weight: bold">SSG3K </span>name attached to the post, these are the first two I thought he was wanting.

Tomahawk-Missile-308907.jpeg
    </div></div>

Not a Tomahawk. If he was looking for a Harpoon, then maybe.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim D</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone enlighten me; are people buying tomahawks intending to use them in combat? Maybe it's an awesome idea, but my gut reaction says: "Somebody has watched 'The Patriot' too many times...."
    smile.gif

-The Kid.</div></div>

Yes, they are.

CKfromNR.jpg

Active duty 3rd group guy, instructor for Northern Red too. </div></div>

Any idea who makes that chest rig?!

It looks like it might be the Blue Force Gear one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chucky</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It looks like it might be the Blue Force Gear one. </div></div> I thought it was a London Bridge Trading 6094, but you're right, it might be a BFG LMAC.