• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you don’t shoot comps

I've taken guys that took great pride in their ability to pass annual qual for concealed carry with their POS pistol, to an IDPA match and watch them suddenly realize they don't know jack about shooting much less about surviving a gun fight. Competition of any type makes you better. PPC made me a better IDPA shooter and LEO firearms instructor.

You are wrong. And I can tell you haven’t spent much time squadded with top level shooters. At the highest level in PRS it’s basically mental and shooting ability. The top competitors have more natural ability than the rest. This translates across all “sports” or endeavors in life. Sponsors give you zero advantage and can be more of a hindrance than anything.

Unfortunately not everyone is created equal. There are many examples of shooters that pick up a rifle and are immediately better than someone that has been doing it for years.

When people make excuses for their poor execution in a sport it’s very common to blame…money,time,etc etc. Most of the time they just are not good and don’t /cant put the effort into being good.

Many of the top competitors I know have little kids…jobs that require time…not a ton of income. They make it work with what they have because they have drive and focus. They can place top 10 at 2day matches shooting less than most competitors and spend more time with their kids than most competitors. Plus have the ability to cover their shooting costs off the prize table.
Nah. Just nah.

I shot the gap grind edit (the Kahles cup) with the mdt shooting team. Maybe the best team in the world. You know every one of their names. Francis and his buddies. Every one of them are mentally committed and have amazing shooting skills. It's also exactly what they do, every day, all day. They shoot or are involved in shooting sports for a living. So.... try again. I'm not talking abut the guys winning club matches with 50 competitors, I'm taking about the best. You will not get there without having that kind of time, money and commitment. You just won't. Sure, they have plenty of natural ability, but the work required to turn that ability into a consistent top performer is significant and expensive.

@M4orturnate @Dead Eye Dick I could not disagree more that the top PRS shooters are the best in the world. Put those same “top PRS” shooters in a “real life” situation where they have to ruck with all equipment for time, read a stage brief while rucking, come up to a blind stage on the clock, find/range/engage targets and shoot pistol on the clock and I guarantee yall those “top PRS” will not be the top shooters anymore.

Matches like NASTI, USASOC, Steel City, Chaos Concepts, Dark Corner Concepts, Mammoth determine the true marksmen
Who do you think shoots mammoth etc ?

Nah. Just nah.

I shot the gap grind edit (the Kahles cup) with the mdt shooting team. Maybe the best team in the world. You know every one of their names. Francis and his buddies. Every one of them are mentally committed and have amazing shooting skills. It's also exactly what they do, every day, all day. They shoot or are involved in shooting sports for a living. So.... try again. I'm not talking abut the guys winning club matches with 50 competitors, I'm taking about the best. You will not get there without having that kind of time, money and commitment. You just won't. Sure, they have plenty of natural ability, but the work required to turn that ability into a consistent top performer is significant and expensive.
Hahahaha. I knew it.

Some of the cool gear that the competition market drives the manufacturers to develop will filter into the hunting realm as well, maybe even into the military, but that works in both directions.
Every single organized shooting sport turns into a gear and gadget race, every - single - one, but so what. Calling an open pistol in USPSA "practical" is like calling a 26lb. PRS rimfire rifle a squirrel rifle, who cares.
Shoot your game and have fun with it.
The most important thing we can do is take young people shooting. Introduce them to whatever your favorite game is and try to keep shooting and the shooting sports alive.

Where does concrete work and bow kills come into play here? If I do both, does it make me a better coyote hunter or PRS competitor?

With those two skills, will I ever qualify for the top AI shooters in the world "hecouldgoalltheway" squad?

I do squirrel hunt with a 50lb rifle, a Kestrel, 14 bags, a wheelbarrow, and 1600 rounds of ammo if that helps. I can also shoot left and right handed.

Oh, and I make plenty of time for my imaginary kids, and also work 320+ hours a week.

Nah. Just nah.

Well, at least one of those MDT team members you shot with us just a carpenter who gets by. He is a good friend and also shoots the AG cup. So stop generalizing just to argue.

Where does concrete work and bow kills come into play here? If I do both, does it make me a better coyote hunter or PRS competitor?

With those two skills, will I ever qualify for the top AI shooters in the world "hecouldgoalltheway" squad?

I do squirrel hunt with a 50lb rifle if that helps.
That's just weak. You want to come in here and attack me for having an opinion that you don't share, but you lack the required intelligence to do it effectively. Yawn.

Go back to sucking at life.

Well, at least one of those MDT team members you shot with us just a carpenter who gets by. He is a good friend and also shoots the AG cup. So stop generalizing just to argue.
You think they are buying their own gear? Their own powder, brass, and bullets? You think they are paying for their own travel or their own entry fees? When you shoot 25+ matches per year, you do the math. They are burning out multiple barrels every year. Start adding that up. They aren't doing that with carpenter money. That's the point I'm trying to make. I can't stand here and tell you much about any of them, because it isn't like we talked about that stuff, but they will have a financial advantage over 99% of the competitors with the items listed above alone. They earned those perks by winning. They deserve them, and so do the other guys at the top, but if you think for one second that PRS wins aren't a factor of finances and time, you're a fool.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
Matches are games, and the game naturally twists the equipment and techniques to excel in that venue alone. PRS is there now. Ridiculous guns and a bunch stupid support equipment that nobody would bother with in any other venue. Its not all bad of course, but its definitely not for everyone.
I got my first 1911, a Colt series 70, not long after IPSC and competition first became a thing. It was practical pistol competition, IOW, how to prevail in a gunfight.

It didn't take long until egos and race guns took over to 'get an edge' on the competition and practical pistol shooting became an arms race of unpractical comp'd guns you would not carry on the street carried in holsters that were more contraptions than holsters.

I wanted to learn how to win a gunfight and stuck to drawing and shooting a 5" goverment model from a concealed holster and IPSC went it's own way.

Ahhh the reason I quit competing all the political bullshit and arguing.

If you want to compete go for it. If your happy shooting paper from a bench that works to. If you want to go shoot rabbits, squirrels, coyotes the more you do it the better you get.

When shit hits the fan are you dragging all your competitor doodads and heavy ass rifle with you and forgoing bringing food and water?

Do what makes you happy and gives you that warm fuzzy feeling of being prepared.

You think they are buying their own gear? Their own powder, brass, and bullets? You think they are paying for their own travel or their own entry fees? When you shoot 25+ matches per year, you do the math. They are burning out multiple barrels every year. Start adding that up. They aren't doing that with carpenter money. That's the point I'm trying to make. I can't stand here and tell you much about any of them, because it isn't like we talked about that stuff, but they will have a financial advantage over 99% of the competitors with the items listed above alone. They earned those perks by winning. They deserve them, and so do the other guys at the top, but if you think for one second that PRS wins aren't a factor of finances and time, you're a fool.
Keep changing the argument as you go along. That works well for trolling but doesn’t mean you’re right. You said that they all had the finances. Well they don’t all start that way doughhead. They have to be near the top to get on the team.

The guy I’m talking about had zero sponsors before making to the team.

But you just keep moving the argument so that you can fill your day with imaginary moral victories.

I’ve got a family that’s much more interesting than your loser arguments.

Ta TA.

Keep changing the argument as you go along. That works well for trolling but doesn’t mean you’re right. You said that they all had the finances. Well they don’t all start that way doughhead. They have to be near the top to get on the team.

The guy I’m talking about had zero sponsors before making to the team.

But you just keep moving the argument so that you can fill your day with imaginary moral victories.

I’ve got a family that’s much more interesting than your loser arguments.

Ta TA.
You just spun what I said. You've created another straw man arguement Don Quixote. You and I have had these disagreements before, and the second you start to look stupid, you attack me personally and then run away. You're a coward, like a real one. You are a sad example of what a man should be. Go be pathetic elsewhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Bradu
It’s Christmas !
Some or y’all get too passionate about staying in your comfort zone aka avoiding comps.

Seriously how can y’all shoot one and not be hooked ?

F2C4B346-9D43-465B-9167-8116B56F3DC2.gif

It’s Christmas !
Some or y’all get too passionate about staying in your comfort zone aka avoiding comps.

View attachment 8305380
Easy to not get hooked, I got tired of standing around watching other people shoot. Shooting ranges suck in general, and I dont enjoy going to them. They were a necessary evil at one point in my life, but fortunately thats no longer the case.

Who do you think shoots mammoth etc ?
Mammoth is in the mix, but I wouldn’t make that the metric. I’d be more inclined to make a Dark Corner Concepts or Chaos Concepts match the metric than Mammoth.

Who shoots those matches; active duty, SF, secret squirrels, average Joe’s, hunters, people concerned with being a well rounded marksmen.

If your goal is being the best at PRS I think you are missing the point…much like F class or bench rest…

There are exceptions to this. I watched Kahl and Tyler absolutely kill the grudge team match, Kahl even injured. But he made it his personal vendetta to win PRS…

Last edited:
@M4orturnate @Dead Eye Dick I could not disagree more that the top PRS shooters are the best in the world. Put those same “top PRS” shooters in a “real life” situation where they have to ruck with all equipment for time, read a stage brief while rucking, come up to a blind stage on the clock, find/range/engage targets and shoot pistol on the clock and I guarantee yall those “top PRS” will not be the top shooters anymore.

Matches like NASTI, USASOC, Steel City, Chaos Concepts, Dark Corner Concepts, Mammoth determine the true marksmen
Didnt Andy win mamoth one year? I know Allen took third with a partner that wasnt very dedicated. Prs test pure shooting ability and thinking on the clock. Sniper comps are probably the most practical/tactical practice but when i comes to pure shooting prs guys are the top of the pack.

I do squirrel hunt with a 50lb rifle, a Kestrel, 14 bags, a wheelbarrow, and 1600 rounds of ammo if that helps. I can also shoot left and right handed.

Oh, and I make plenty of time for my imaginary kids, and also work 320+ hours a week.
How much do you bench tho?

Only if the competition is realistic for how you want to grow and many are not. If our soldiers went house to house like it was a speed match, ignored cover, concealment, didn't slice pie and shot then ignored that target there would be a lot more purple hearts. There are great competitions like the sniper ones done by the military and then there is 3 gun that instills more bad habits than it is worth.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
All the time and money you talk about ain't shit without talent. 80% of the guys you think are good because they're sponsored and have all this behind the scenes access to shit were top of the leaderboards way before they were sponsored. Your top 10 list is literally a list of excuses why you can't practice and has nothing to do with what actually makes a shooter get to the top of the leaderboards. You could combine all that crap into one category and call it experience, but there's WAY more to winning PRS matches than experience.

Where's this bullshit about coyote hunters coming from? Ever seen some of those guys shoot? Can't hold minute of fucking barn door. Only ones I've seen that can shoot compete in PRS events.

It’s Christmas !

View attachment 8305380
Ego. Some people cant stand getting pounded into the dirt even though the guys beating them are trying to bring them up at the same time

All the time and money you talk about ain't shit without talent. 80% of the guys you think are good because they're sponsored and have all this behind the scenes access to shit were top of the leaderboards way before they were sponsored. Your top 10 list is literally a list of excuses why you can't practice and has nothing to do with what actually makes a shooter get to the top of the leaderboards. You could combine all that crap into one category and call it experience, but there's WAY more to winning PRS matches than experience.

Where's this bullshit about coyote hunters coming from? Ever seen some of those guys shoot? Can't hold minute of fucking barn door. Only ones I've seen that can shoot compete in PRS events.
You have no idea what you're talking about. Literally none, zero. You're talking out of your ass. I'm guessing you have zero experience in either world, to make such ridiculous ignorant claims. But hey, don't let that keep you from slinging shit all over the place.

Didnt Andy win mamoth one year? I know Allen took third with a partner that wasnt very dedicated. Prs test pure shooting ability and thinking on the clock. Sniper comps are probably the most practical/tactical practice but when i comes to pure shooting prs guys are the top of the pack.
Mammoth isn’t really a challenging rifle shooting match. It’s more about your ability to ruck under tight limits, shoot pistol well, and hit rifle targets with an unlimited round count. It’s more an endurance race.

PRS doesn’t test thinking under the clock. You have the stage brief ahead of hand. Blind stages test thinking under time restraints.

Look at it this way. What companies / government actually pay salaries to shooters? It’s not those that win PRS, but those that are marksmen.

What does pure shooting get you from a flat range? Nothing. Reverse it and those that are marksmen can compete with PRS, but PRS isn’t the same class as marksmen.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
I'll say this from my experience here in Southern MN. A good portion of PRS guys I know are hunters. Some do F-class, quite a few are prior military or still in. Some are balls deep into coyote hunting. Alot of them do pistol and shotgun comps.

The other side of the spectrum is guys that have a RPR in 6.5 and shoot factory ammo, just trying the sport. Then there's people like my cousins that have hunted for years. If their 300 savage or 06 can hit a pie plate at 50 yards its "zeroed". Yet they won't even consider trying a match with borrowed gear.
Or they dump green tip into trash piles with their NC star "acog" and that means their ready for the "boog".

I say get out and shoot what ever you want. But we all need more practice.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Literally none, zero. You're talking out of your ass. I'm guessing you have zero experience in either world, to make such ridiculous ignorant claims. But hey, don't let that keep you from slinging shit all over the place.
Lol be gone troll. You've been talking out of your ass all morning about things you clearly have no experience with, then you try and project that on to everyone else. Fake it till you make it I guess huh?

Lol be gone troll. You've been talking out of your ass all morning about things you clearly have no experience with, then you try and project that on to everyone else. Fake it till you make it I guess huh?
Hey fella, I've been killing coyotes for let's see... 32 years. I shot prs for about 2 years. I've only shot 8 matches in 2023. Shot about that many in 2022, and a couple in 2020, but none in 21, so let's just call it 2 years.

Mouth breathers like you can't grasp the simplicity of my original statement, so you try and fail to make it about something else. You are a kid, that's pretty obvious.

Then justify the poor performance by saying the people that won did so due to some sort of unfair advantage.
Nobody said anyone had an unfair advantage. You're making a strawman arguement as well.

If you want to be better at shooting sports, you need to shoot. You need to train, and that training is shooting. Shooting means loading ammo, and that takes considerable time and money to do on any scale. Some people have those things and some don't. If that's an unfair advantage, then it is, but go on and twist what I've said here to make it sound like something else.

God this thread has become gayer than fat JROTC kids arguing over which special operations team is the best.

Add competitions and hunting trips to your calendar. Go solve problems on the clock and in the field. It will only make you better and expose your weaknesses. …which is a good thing.

Nobody said anyone had an unfair advantage. You're making a strawman arguement as well.

If you want to be better at shooting sports, you need to shoot. You need to train, and that training is shooting. Shooting means loading ammo, and that takes considerable time and money to do on any scale. Some people have those things and some don't. If that's an unfair advantage, then it is, but go on and twist what I've said here to make it sound like something else.
Fuck off.

The response wasn’t even towards you. Apparently everything has to be about you.

Fuck off.

The response wasn’t even towards you. Apparently everything has to be about you.
Awww, those feels are awful close to the surface aren't they?

You must be young too. How dare anyone question your wisdom? Civil debate missed your weak generation entirely.

Ahhh the reason I quit competing all the political bullshit and arguing.
Another reason I didn't get involved in competition was exactly that.

Middle-aged fat men getting butthurt when some new guy smoked their asses, running to the judges like little bitches, trying to find ways to get him disqualified or kicked out of the club.

You want to see how petty, jealous and chickenshit grown men can be, start shooting in competition or enter a bass fishing tournament.

You know nothing about coyote hunters. Nothing.

The good ones have a better grip on that than prs boys.
What makes you think that PRS shooters are NOT HUNTERS?

A lot in the PRS community, including many locals I shoot with, are EXCELLENT hunters (these guys are some of the top shooters in the country). They translate their skills to the other hobby, and vice versa.

Reactions: Schütze and BurtG
Oh laziness for sure.

Also Exterminating rats / 24/7 business / multiple crotch goblins takes all my time
See, that's all I've said all along. I dipped my toe in PRS and realized pretty quickly that I do not have the time to commit to it to become good. I have a demanding job that keeps me out 70+ hours a week, family and a farm and dozens of other commitments. I know exactly what it would take for me to become a top level shooter, and I would have to change my life entirely, sacrifice time with my little girl, find a different career path, find someone to take care of my property, etc. So, it's clearly not worth it to me to make those sacrifices. It is worth it to other people clearly, but not to me. To be a top tier shooter, you'd need to be able to load and shoot alot, a whole bunch. I know one top tier pro that claims to shoot in the neighborhood of 30k rounds per year. He has dozens of sponsors, and he has a really uninteresting job and makes a living, with no current ambition to take that further. He's an amazing shooter, and that's about the only thing he does.

What makes you think that PRS shooters are NOT HUNTERS?

A lot in the PRS community, including many locals I shoot with, are EXCELLENT hunters (these guys are some of the top shooters in the country). They translate their skills to the other hobby, and vice versa.
I never made the claim that they weren't. In fact at least twice in this conversation I've pointed out that there is crossover. Comp shooting teaches zero field craft. Go back and read all of it before you cherry pick.

Reactions: TexPatriot