• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you don’t shoot comps

image.gif

Haven't done Steel Safari specifically but similar and its so much better than 95% of PRS

Men I know I could be the PRS champion and AG Cup Champion each and every year and shoot perfect scores at every match IF

1. I was 40 to 50 years younger. (I’ll go with 50 years younger)
2. I had rock steady nerves
3. My MK4 eyeball hand built in rangefinding capabilities. (At least the one that is left which is right, though the left which is wrong is still working far better than the doctors say it should be)
4. I had someone to do all my reloading for me and do a great job
5. I did not have a slight tremor in my left hand
6. My rifle(s) Shot a 150 grain projectile at exactly 3200FPS, generated 0.5 pounds of recoil and the bullets included built in radar that would seek out the target and fly too it no matter how bad I miss aimed or jerked the trigger or put in the wrong settings or holds on the scope.
7. I had the strength and aerobic capabilities of Superman.

That’s all it takes for me.

But, understanding what it takes to be perfect and understanding what it takes to have fun and finally understanding how to put my ego behind me, I do know how to have perfect fun (at the range and at the match)

I think the op was building around if you don't play these games, you miss out on a different kind of pressure.

Now I have never played your game, that ship might have sailed, but I have done CMP and several different hand gun games, from simple bowling pins to PPC type stuff. When you are doing it, that guy following after with with the timer, everyone else watching you....it is a different kind of pressure, and I think that does move you into a different area, "out of your comfort zone".

Only thing I will say is play the game you want to play while you still can, before you know it you may be on arthritis meds to just move around.

Isn’t the average prs target somewhere around .5 mil? Or 2 moa?

A coyote at 400 yards is also at least 2moa?

Im gonna say all of you suck.
Benchrest guys are the best!!!!!!
Pfft.

I could be the national benchrest champion if i wanted to. But I dont.

I mean how can you not hit the x-ring with all those sighters. At one fixed range, cmon.

Isn’t the average prs target somewhere around .5 mil? Or 2 moa?

A coyote at 400 yards is also at least 2moa?

Im gonna say all of you suck.
Benchrest guys are the best!!!!!!
Not the ones i have shot. Usually quite larger, but put you into worse positions and wobbly items to shoot off of. More about knowing the recipie on how to shoot off of said obstacles and being steady.

Ive done some pretty cool ones, where they were hidden and you had to make hits based off another target and measuring from that other target.

Reactions: lash
Men I know I could be the PRS champion and AG Cup Champion each and every year and shoot perfect scores at every match IF

1. I was 40 to 50 years younger. (I’ll go with 50 years younger)
2. I had rock steady nerves
3. My MK4 eyeball hand built in rangefinding capabilities. (At least the one that is left which is right, though the left which is wrong is still working far better than the doctors say it should be)
4. I had someone to do all my reloading for me and do a great job
5. I did not have a slight tremor in my left hand
6. My rifle(s) Shot a 150 grain projectile at exactly 3200FPS, generated 0.5 pounds of recoil and the bullets included built in radar that would seek out the target and fly too it no matter how bad I miss aimed or jerked the trigger or put in the wrong settings or holds on the scope.
7. I had the strength and aerobic capabilities of Superman.

That’s all it takes for me.

But, understanding what it takes to be perfect and understanding what it takes to have fun and finally understanding how to put my ego behind me, I do know how to have perfect fun (at the range and at the match)
Coyote hunting?

Nobody has disputed that competition will make you better.

However, shooting whitetails from a fixed position on claustrophobic Louisiana is about a .3 on a scale of hunting difficulty. I have been killing them all of my life in TN, so I'm not talking out of my ass. The best deer hunters I know have never heard of PRS. The crossover you're talking about are just basic shooting skills. They existed long before the invention of PRS.
So you can shoot all the way across "yonder holler".......
Laughs in western hunter....🤣

• Haha
Reactions: lash and BurtG
So you can shoot all the way across "yonder holler".......
Laughs in western hunter....🤣
You missed the point of course. TN is just as claustrophobic as LA. Most of our shots on deer are tight. Anything beyond 200y here is rare. Most opportunities are inside 100y.

There are plenty of places to test your long range rifle, especially in the western part of the state, but the best deer hunting is in the south is typically in shit so thick you can't see your hand in front of your face.

Reactions: Ronws
Can we please get back to how great coyote hunters are and the made up part where they whip any top PRS guy in a firefight?
I don't shoot PRS. What is the average number of targets per competition?
I've coyote hunted many times for several years. There's plenty of times that you will never even see one and many times that you may see one and not get a shot off.
I seriously doubt that trigger time coyote hunting can compare to a competition.

Reactions: lash and Modoc
I've coyote hunted many times for several years. There's plenty of times that you will never even see one and many times that you may see one and not get a shot off.
I seriously doubt that trigger time coyote hunting can compare to a competition.

I'm not sure what the average target # would be, but that would be pretty variable between matches.

Not uncommon for matches to have round counts between 180 - 200 over a weekend, to give you an idea.

Such an ignorant statement. What does prs teach about camouflage and concealment, use of terrain and elevation, really breaking down an area to determine the most effective place to deploy, or any other field craft skills? Movers? Nothing but shit on a range has a predictable speed, nothing in nature does. Animals and people don't stand still in the open while you finger fuck your kestrel and calculate your dope. It's the most unrealistic shit you'll ever do if you want to learn to use a rifle in any functional manner, or if you're forced to. Good hunters are good trackers, good at moving quietly in any terrrain, good at getting stable shooting positions in all conditions. If you have 10 targets standing still in a 4" tall grass field, and you have a perfect rest, all the ranges given to you, and all of the time in the world to work up your dope, write it down somewhere visible, and double and triple check your mags, your dope, the wind, and the advice of your buddy who shot in front of you.... oh, and 90 seconds to execute, PRS is your game. For the 20th time, prs will make you a better shooter, and that's not debatable. If that's the only skill you care about, good, it's for you.

You must not get out much
That's the part of that you take an issue with? In a typical 2 day match there are 20 stages, and that describes about 16 of them. Now, I'll freely admit that I've only shot on 3 different venues, so that's a very small sample size, your experience may vary.

Such an ignorant statement. What does prs teach about camouflage and concealment, use of terrain and elevation, really breaking down an area to determine the most effective place to deploy, or any other field craft skills? Movers? Nothing but shit on a range has a predictable speed, nothing in nature does. Animals and people don't stand still in the open while you finger fuck your kestrel and calculate your dope. It's the most unrealistic shit you'll ever do if you want to learn to use a rifle in any functional manner, or if you're forced to. Good hunters are good trackers, good at moving quietly in any terrrain, good at getting stable shooting positions in all conditions. If you have 10 targets standing still in a 4" tall grass field, and you have a perfect rest, all the ranges given to you, and all of the time in the world to work up your dope, write it down somewhere visible, and double and triple check your mags, your dope, the wind, and the advice of your buddy who shot in front of you.... oh, and 90 seconds to execute, PRS is your game. For the 20th time, prs will make you a better shooter, and that's not debatable. If that's the only skill you care about, good, it's for you.
But I thought that you said this was about operating a rifle and not field craft.
If you are now changing that. I will interject that a majority of the people participating in PRS are probably prior service and also hunters. Hence negating your coyote hunters advantage.
Ever tried bow hunting turkeys without using a blind?

I always wear camoflage at matches. Just like hunting.

I wear my hunting boots.

I pick up my brass which is exactly like hunting…crawling around all quiet looking for small items that blend in.

I carry all my gear stage to stage in a hunting pack. Probably weighs 50lbs. Just like hunting.

I glass off a tripod all day like I’m up on a ridge glassing for a buck.

I snack on peanut m&ms and protein bars plus drink electrolyte packs…just like hunting.

Shooting a PRS match is exactly like hunting. And perfect train up for coyote hunting. Only difference is you get more shooting at a PRS match.

But I thought that you said this was about operating a rifle and not field craft.
If you are now changing that. I will interject that a majority of the people participating in PRS are probably prior service and also hunters. Hence negating your coyote hunters advantage.
Ever tried bow hunting turkeys without using a blind?
I never said that. I realize this thread is long and you probably didn't read it all, but I never made that claim. I've said essentially the same thing I regurgitated above since my first post. There are definitely prior service folks out there, but I'd say we were far from the majority. Maybe 20-30%, but it's hard to tell since so many competitors dress up like it's fucking Halloween. They have on their operator costumes. I was honestly surprised how few of the guys I met were actually vets. When you consider that vets only account for something like 2% of the population, we are definitely overrespresented there, but far from the majority. Any trigger time will make you a better shooter, any competition will make you better at aspects of shooting, but shooting by itself without any knowledge of how to get a rifle into the hunt or into a fight is basically worthless. You could potentially be 90 years old and 500lbs and be the world's best shooter. You couldn't do anything with that skill but sit at a table and shoot, but you'd be a badass at one thing. That's an extreme example, but it's the point I continue to attempt to make. One big reason this line of thinking is so difficult for many of the people arguing in this post is because they aren't vets, and they have no idea how anything actually works, so they think prs prowess will make them a legit badass if shit ever goes bad, and it won't. Not even a little bit.

I always wear camoflage at matches. Just like hunting.

I wear my hunting boots.

I pick up my brass which is exactly like hunting…crawling around all quiet looking for small items that blend in.

I carry all my gear stage to stage in a hunting pack. Probably weighs 50lbs. Just like hunting.

I glass off a tripod all day like I’m up on a ridge glassing for a buck.

I snack on peanut m&ms and protein bars plus drink electrolyte packs…just like hunting.

Shooting a PRS match is exactly like hunting. And perfect train up for coyote hunting. Only difference is you get more shooting at a PRS match.
All I'll say about that is that you definitely aren't who I thought you were. I wonder who you actually are.

I never said that. I realize this thread is long and you probably didn't read it all, but I never made that claim. I've said essentially the same thing I regurgitated above since my first post. There are definitely prior service folks out there, but I'd say we were far from the majority. Maybe 20-30%, but it's hard to tell since so many competitors dress up like it's fucking Halloween. They have on their operator costumes. I was honestly surprised how few of the guys I met were actually vets. When you consider that vets only account for something like 2% of the population, we are definitely overrespresented there, but far from the majority. Any trigger time will make you a better shooter, any competition will make you better at aspects of shooting, but shooting by itself without any knowledge of how to get a rifle into the hunt or into a fight is basically worthless. You could potentially be 90 years old and 500lbs and be the world's best shooter. You couldn't do anything with that skill but sit at a table and shoot, but you'd be a badass at one thing. That's an extreme example, but it's the point I continue to attempt to make. One big reason this line of thinking is so difficult for many of the people arguing in this post is because they aren't vets, and they have no idea how anything actually works, so they think prs prowess will make them a legit badass if shit ever goes bad, and it won't. Not even a little bit.
Yeah right. PRS matches are perfect training for when shit goes bad. Tons of shooting…all that recoil…concussion…dudes yelling and swearing. It’s basically the same thing as combat.

Basically PRS matches perfectly train you for hunting and combat with all the different things you have to do and are involved in.

Then I will add.
Neither are doing much for survival skills in a shtf scenario. Shooting anything that is not an immediate threat to you is going to bring more shit than you can deal with.

Yeah right. PRS matches are perfect training for when shit goes bad. Tons of shooting…all that recoil…concussion…dudes yelling and swearing. It’s basically the same thing as combat.

Basically PRS matches perfectly train you for hunting and combat with all the different things you have to do and are involved in.
You uh.... seen much combat?

Reactions: Makinchips208
About these coyotes being hunted that are producing top shooters- are these the kind of coyotes that always shoot back with aimed fire?

About these coyotes being hunted that are producing top shooters- are these the kind of coyotes that always shoot back with aimed fire?
Who said anything about top shooters?

I wish some of you knew what the word "quixotic" meant.

If you replaced coyote with gps collared wolf , you might actually be impressive.

Cops kill dogs all the time. It’s not an accomplishment

• Haha
Reactions: Makinchips208
You missed the point of course. TN is just as claustrophobic as LA. Most of our shots on deer are tight. Anything beyond 200y here is rare. Most opportunities are inside 100y.

There are plenty of places to test your long range rifle, especially in the western part of the state, but the best deer hunting is in the south is typically in shit so thick you can't see your hand in front of your face.

Horseshit.

False... In combat you actually have to do mag changes "on the clock"

Thanks for saying absolutely nothing again.

Are you attempting to claim that most deer hunting in the south (we can debate what that means if you want) isn't done in thick shit?

If you are, you're a fucking idiot. Most of the southern states are planted thicker than shit with pines and have been for the last 30+ years. Most of the huntable land in the state you live in is thicker than shit. The fact that you think this is a questionable statement just makes it clear that your dementia has finally taken over. I can't believe I'm arguing with someone over southern deer habitat.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike Casselton
Meh. Pigg / mkm / geisselle Tremont are pretty bad ass

I can shoot 800 yards easily and 1500 off a silo.

Doesn’t compare to matches
Is Geisselle's Tremont range something you can join, or somehow become part of, outside of the shoot that takes place there?

Thanks for saying absolutely nothing again.

Are you attempting to claim that most deer hunting in the south (we can debate what that means if you want) isn't done in thick shit?

If you are, you're a fucking idiot. Most of the southern states are planted thicker than shit with pines and have been for the last 30+ years. Most of the huntable land in the state you live in is thicker than shit. The fact that you think this is a questionable statement just makes it clear that your dementia has finally taken over. I can't believe I'm arguing with someone over southern deer habitat.

You're an angry little elf.

Only if the competition is realistic for how you want to grow and many are not. If our soldiers went house to house like it was a speed match, ignored cover, concealment, didn't slice pie and shot then ignored that target there would be a lot more purple hearts. There are great competitions like the sniper ones done by the military and then there is 3 gun that instills more bad habits than it is worth.
Actually during work up and or training for a specific mission they do just that .
Run a shoot house while being critiqued by peers and Senior Rank . Run it for time and run it for tactics . Over and over and over . The only acceptable constant is get better , evolve .
Gotta say it chaffes my ass that so many legit threads turns into pissin matches because of nay Sayers .
Everything should be approached as a Black Belt . Prove it's worth . Put in the time to make it work . If it doesn't you proved it . Dismissing anything out of hand proves you weak and a fool .
Black Belt means that you've made it your own .
A fool dismisses all .

All this discussion about what PRS doesn’t train and what PRS trains..You folks are getting nonsensical.

Shooting precision rifle style stages, under pressure from the clock teaches you one thing. How to successfully operate your rifle under pressure. “Successfully” is the key word, successful includes loading, working the action, getting off the shot and hitting the target. Noting more, nothing else. However, this is a great benefit when coyote hunting, deer hunting, or…..standing ten feet in front of a 13 foot tall, 6000 pound bull Elephant who is fully intent and committed on converting you into a grease spot, and GETTING THE SHOT OFF IN TIME AND HITTING THE KILL ZONE!

As far as camouflage, carrying shit, working a kestral, finding game in brush you can’t see your hand in front of your face in is immaterial to the point, which is Successfully completing the goal. (Which is, as I said, loading, working the action, getting the shot off and hitting the target.)

However, using equipment typical of PRS can help shooting other disciplines, shooting in other sports. Still,

Getting the shot off, under pressure and hitting the target is the Point. In Precision Rifle’s case, hitting all the targets in time is the winning strategy. This is what trying to be a better shooter in PRS has helped me improve.

Last edited:
Here, let me clear up your exaggeration for you.
If you can't see your hand in front of your face, you're either blind, in a dark cave or your head is up your ass.

Thick and jungle-like, full of limbs, vines or even palmettos, it doesn't matter. You can still see your hand in front of your face.

It's a complete exaggeration and you know it.

If you can't see your hand, you sure as hell aren't going to see anything else.

Hence the Horseshit reply. Twice.

I've come to the conclusion you suffer from Cranial-Anal, Insertion.

Here, let me clear up your exaggeration for you.
If you can't see your hand in front of your face, you're either blind, in a dark cave or your head is up your ass.

Thick and jungle-like, full of limbs, vines or even palmettos, it doesn't matter. You can still see your hand in front of your face.

It's a complete exaggeration and you know it.

If you can't see your hand, you sure as hell aren't going to see anything else.

Hence the Horseshit reply. Twice.

I've come to the conclusion you suffer from Cranial-Anal, Insertion.
You seriously decided to start an arguement with me over what you're openly admitting that you knew was hyperbole?

Jesus christ.