• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you don’t shoot comps

Well if you judge yourself versus others it will
Never be fun

Judge yourself against your prior performances.

I learn something at every comp I go to.
There is absolutely value there. I also learned things in every match I attended. Most of it was predominantly relevant to prs, but definitely some tricks.

As far as comparing myself to others: I don't know how to detach from that. I can't be mediocre at anything for long. I'm either in 100% or I'm not. I couldn't commit the time to prs to be in 100%, so I'm out.

• Haha
Reactions: Bender and BurtG
I never made the claim that they weren't. In fact at least twice in this conversation I've pointed out that there is crossover. Comp shooting teaches zero field craft. Go back and read all of it before you cherry pick.
You mean read your entire rant on this thread that goes in 20 different directions?

I'm replying to your first comment by the way.

PRS isn't about FIELDCRAFT... get out of here with the wannabe sniper BS anyway. No one shooting PRS cares about fieldcraft.

OTOH, competition brought the 1911 back from the brink of extinction with inovations and improvements. It rescued it from the post WWII BS that it was inaccurate and 'you can't hit nothin' with it' to a modern Tier 1 fighting gun.

You mean read your entire rant on this thread that goes in 20 different directions?

I'm replying to your first comment by the way.
the point of my first post was that there are alternatives to competition to sharpen your skills as a rifleman, and I say that varmint hunting is more practical training for any real world scenario than prs. You'll never find yourself engaging 10 targets in pre-determined locations on a sanitary range with 4" tall grass in less than 90 seconds after spending 10 minutes discussing the wind with your buddies, consulting your kestrel, and writing your dope on a card while swinging your 25lb 6mm wildcat around..

It's the most impractical practice for any hunting or combat scenario ever devised. Everyone should train as much as they can, but not everyone has the time and cash to shoot prs. Almost anyone can learn to hunt varmints and predators successfully with time and patience, and without buying a $5k rifle, a $3k scope, and another couple thousand dollars in reloading gear, pay $250 a weekend in entry fees, and on and on. If you don't hunt coyotes, you don't understand that what I'm telling you is the truth, and most of you don't..

Reactions: MJF
I want to challenge something you said here. I am very familiar with the guy you are talking about. We shoot at the same range. I've shot in his squad a few times. He's been shooting a .308 in the open for at least the last 5 years. His gun doesn't weight 10-11lbs, it's in a TCS stock with a 1.25 straight barrel. It's 20+lbs like everyone else's. He's also won this before shooting a similar rifle. He's a stud, no doubt about it, but make no mistake, he's shooting a prs (I believe "boat anchor" was bandied about above").
The rifle I saw and handled that I was shown was far lighter than 20 pounds. This was this spring. I could be wrong, would not b e the first time, but I truly believe that rifle was quite a bit lighter than what I shoot at 18-11. You shoot at Prince?

My competion is hog hunting. It's the closest thing to sniping an enemy. Build a hide, hide, make long shots, sometimes on multiple targets.

When I get a thermal, I'll double my effectiveness. A rural kid that grew up around guns, shooting and hunting was condusive to being a good soldier in combat.

eta- plus hogs are constantly moving and tweaking and your window of time to take a shot is only seconds.

Last edited:
the point of my first post was that there are alternatives to competition to sharpen your skills as a rifleman, and I say that varmint hunting is more practical training for any real world scenario than prs. You'll never find yourself engaging 10 targets in pre-determined locations on a sanitary range with 4" tall grass in less than 90 seconds after spending 10 minutes discussing the wind with your buddies, consulting your kestrel, and writing your dope on a card while swinging your 25lb 6mm wildcat around..

It's the most impractical practice for any hunting or combat scenario ever devised. Everyone should train as much as they can, but not everyone has the time and cash to shoot prs. Almost anyone can learn to hunt varmints and predators successfully with time and patience, and without buying a $5k rifle, a $3k scope, and another couple thousand dollars in reloading gear, pay $250 a weekend in entry fees, and on and on. If you don't hunt coyotes, you don't understand that what I'm telling you is the truth, and most of you don't..
Not everyone has access to hunting.

Someone who lives in the city isn't going hunting every weekend.

However, they can drive to a local match and improve their marksmanship in every way.

We get it, you don't like PRS - or you see it as a useless skill. But to paint a broad brush on such a small, niche competition in the grand scheme of shooting sports is awfully naive. This is akin to saying USPSA/IDPA/IPSC shooters have no practical use in the real world because the targets don't move, race guns, etc.

LE/MIL/hunters/avg joe/etc shooters all benefit from competition. It's a culmination of skills put to a timed test. This is no different than hunting.

The rifle I saw and handled that I was shown was far lighter than 20 pounds. This was this spring. I could be wrong, would not b e the first time, but I truly believe that rifle was quite a bit lighter than what I shoot at 18-11. You shoot at Prince?
We may be talking about a different guy then.

Reactions: Dead Eye Dick
Not everyone has access to hunting.

Someone who lives in the city isn't going hunting every weekend.

However, they can drive to a local match and improve their marksmanship in every way.

We get it, you don't like PRS - or you see it as a useless skill. But to paint a broad brush on such a small, niche competition in the grand scheme of shooting sports is awfully naive. This is akin to saying USPSA/IDPA/IPSC shooters have no practical use in the real world because the targets don't move, race guns, etc.

LE/MIL/hunters/avg joe/etc shooters all benefit from competition. It's a culmination of skills put to a timed test. This is no different than hunting.
I never said PRS was a useless skill. I have said at least 20 times that competition is good. I offered up difficult hunting as an alternative to competition. I've said 20 times that PRS will make you a better shooter. I hope everyone does whatever they can to get better, with whatever access they have, comp, hunting, dry fire in their basement, whatever. I also agree with @BurtG if there was enough NRL hunter around to be worth fooling with, I'd be far more interested in competition. Years from now when my 4 year old has her own hobbies and doesn't want to hang out with her Daddy, I'll probably go neck deep in NRL hunter matches. I think that format teaches more real world skills than any other comp format other than maybe the sniper comps.

I never said PRS was a useless skill. I have said at least 20 times that competition is good. I offered up difficult hunting as an alternative to competition. I've said 20 times that PRS will make you a better shooter. I hope everyone does whatever they can to get better, with whatever access they have, comp, hunting, dry fire in their basement, whatever. I also agree with @BurtG if there was enough NRL hunter around to be worth fooling with, I'd be far more interested in competition. Years from now when my 4 year old has her own hobbies and doesn't want to hang out with her Daddy, I'll probably go neck deep in NRL hunter matches. I think that format teaches more real world skills than any other comp format other than maybe the sniper comps.
TBF, we are heavy with NRL-H matches here... but they have their own drama. But yes, they are great otherwise.

@NiteQwill I've been shooting in my own 400y range in my back yard the entire time we've been having this discussion. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that. I also live 20 minutes from K&M, maybe the best range in America, where I am a member. I wish everyone had the kind of access that I do. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who live in cities.

Attachments

• 20231225_132406.jpg
    20231225_132406.jpg
    525.2 KB · Views: 52
@NiteQwill I've been shooting in my own 400y range in my back yard the entire time we've been having this discussion. I'm fortunate enough to be able to do that. I also live 20 minutes from K&M, maybe the best range in America, where I am a member. I wish everyone had the kind of access that I do. I can't imagine what it must be like for people who live in cities.
Nice. Yes, I have access to 2900 yards locally, live among beautiful high mountains for hunting and hiking, minutes from public land, and shoot free at the county range (if I dare risk my life with the shooters there lol).

K&M is great. Shannon has a good setup. I have done classes and PRS comps there. First rate facility.

PRS shooters are the best.

Coyote hunters are the best.

Bow hunters are the best.

Duck hunters are the best.

Head hunters are the best.

Deer hunters are the best.

Etc. Etc.

Best at what they are dedicated to. It’s all in what you are dedicated to.

Merry Christmas!

I got my first 1911, a Colt series 70, not long after IPSC and competition first became a thing. It was practical pistol competition, IOW, how to prevail in a gunfight.

It didn't take long until egos and race guns took over to 'get an edge' on the competition and practical pistol shooting became an arms race of unpractical comp'd guns you would not carry on the street carried in holsters that were more contraptions than holsters.

I wanted to learn how to win a gunfight and stuck to drawing and shooting a 5" goverment model from a concealed holster and IPSC went it's own way.
This is why I prefer shooting IDPA matches vs IPSC or USPSA. Generally, the crowd at an IDPA match is a lot more laid back, at least around here. There's divisions for the gamer guns, midsize guns, and BUG size guns. You are really only "competing" with shooters playing the game with the same class of gun as you. I shoot a 1911 in CDP division in the cooler months, and shoot a G17 in SSP when the weather heats up. In mid Summer, there are matches just for the midsize CCP division guns and smaller. I actually shoot my G26 in these matches because I am better with it than a G19. On match day, the gun I will be shooting is my carry gun for the entire day.

With what little free time I have, I prefer to stay proficient with what I am likely to carry. I stick with iron sights and have not taken the easier road like a lot have done with red dot sights.

Another reason I didn't get involved in competition was exactly that.

Middle-aged fat men getting butthurt when some new guy smoked their asses, running to the judges like little bitches, trying to find ways to get him disqualified or kicked out of the club.

You want to see how petty, jealous and chickenshit grown men can be, start shooting in competition or enter a bass fishing tournament.
This in not the experience I have had. Can't remember how long ago, probably 6 months or so, a new guy showed up to the 22 match. Nobody knew who he was. Dude shows up and literally stomps everyone. After shooting they feed us and then announce the winners and where you came in. This new guy is kind of just hanging around, doesn't know anybody, doesn't have a gang yet. I asked him a few questions and next thing you know he's showing me what he's shooting and telling where he came from. Next time I went, he won, but didn't stomp us quite as bad. And everyone likes him. He's one of the gang now.
He told us about a story that kind of matches what you said though. He shot somewhere and smokes everyone. He was doing everything he could to be the best. Bought high end ammo and sorted it... all kinds of stuff. They changed their rules so he had to shoot their ammo, he still beat them. Then they changed something else to try and knock him down some. That's why he stopped shooting there and went to the match I go to.
He has a barrel that looks to be a straight bull barrel. Before he showed up I had not seen anyone with a 22 barrel that big. Now there are 4 or 5 guys with them.
Maybe this happened because it's an outlaw match? Top 3 guys get a home made wood trophy/plaque and a pie.

Last edited:
Another reason I didn't get involved in competition was exactly that.

Middle-aged fat men getting butthurt when some new guy smoked their asses, running to the judges like little bitches, trying to find ways to get him disqualified or kicked out of the club.

You want to see how petty, jealous and chickenshit grown men can be, start shooting in competition or enter a bass fishing tournament.
Actually, I have seen the opposite. New guy shows up, gets his ass handed to him, then complains and wants all the rules changed so he can win. I’ve seen it happen at least three times. Newby screwing up and blaming the sport/judges/match directors/experienced competitors, and in at least one incident, the rules were ignored to help the new fellow, another, the new fellow blatantly ignored the rules, put others in danger.

What I see is young people, with great eyes and especially good reflexes and steadiness, move in and make all the old guys look bad. Believe it or not, that’s a good thing, every sport needs young people getting involved.

Finally…Fellows, we all want to win, we all don’t want to look bad, but at some point, we have a choice, be happy with our abilities and have fun, even if it means being the winner of the Red Lantern award. Me, I’m proud of my many Lanterne Rouge. Not that I like to loose, but I’m just awful proud I still can.

It’s a game folks, it’s supposed to be fun!

Actually, I have seen the opposite. New guy shows up, gets his ass handed to him, then complains and wants all the rules changed so he can win. I’ve seen it happen at least three times. Newby screwing up and blaming the sport/judges/match directors/experienced competitors, and in at least one incident, the rules were ignored to help the new fellow, another, the new fellow blatantly ignored the rules, put others in danger.

What I see is young people, with great eyes and especially good reflexes and steadiness, move in and make all the old guys look bad. Believe it or not, that’s a good thing, every sport needs young people getting involved.

Finally…Fellows, we all want to win, we all don’t want to look bad, but at some point, we have a choice, be happy with our abilities and have fun, even if it means being the winner of the Red Lantern award. Me, I’m proud of my many Lanterne Rouge. Not that I like to loose, but I’m just awful proud I still can.

It’s a game folks, it’s supposed to be fun!
Dang. Thats pretty demanding for a new guy to want to change the rules because they can't shoot.
Talk about a sense of entitlement.

But I'm talking about good shooters that show up, beats the usual leaders but don't try and fit in the clique of the local club. It happened to me. It also happened to Chip McCormick. Their excuse for running him off was he wouldn't stick around after he won and help load up the targets and frames.

I have not shot prs matches in way too long, but shoot some 22 matches here or there. Need to get back to some prs or the hunter matches.

To me, i use what i hunt with. Its still pretty tactical, but as light as i can make it without sacrificing accuracy. 11.5 pounds on the nose. I hunt with tripods and a bag, also use my pack as a bag. I run a shortish barrel, suppressor and a chassis, nf glass, but not trying to compete for top finish, just try to keep myself sharp. I am running a hot cartridge with little barrel life just under speed limit for prs, but hunter matches want some silly shit about bullet weight, so i am kinda turned off. Maybe my 6.5x284 will be the answer to that, we will see. I like to be in the top 15%, without using a heavy gun. Literally something i hunt with.

Oh, i use it for coyotes too. All with the same rifle. Just swapping optics around.

PRS shooters are the best.

Coyote hunters are the best.

Bow hunters are the best.

Duck hunters are the best.

Head hunters are the best.

Deer hunters are the best.

Etc. Etc.

Best at what they are dedicated to. It’s all in what you are dedicated to.

Merry Christmas!
Actually, I am the most ethical. I catch deers by putting salt on their tails.

Anyway, the fire from this raging debate keeps me warm on a chilly Christmas day.

Um.... what?
I was laughing because I figured out who you were.

And knew that for the rest of the thread all your posts will include excuses and misdirection. Just like you do in real life. I.E. my velocity is off that’s why I’m missing…not having a great zero…whatever…it’s never the shooters lack of skill.

People like you never take advice well…never put the time in…always fail and quit because someone else has some completely made up advantage. “I could be a top competitor…but I don’t want to…” hahaha!

I will repeat once again…the top shooters in PRS are better than you because they have focus…natural skill…and drive/follow through. Has nothing to do with sponsors. Hahahaha…sponsors. It kills me you think that gives people an unfair advantage!

And knew that for the rest of the thread all your posts will include excuses and misdirection. Just like you do in real life. I.E. my velocity is off that’s why I’m missing…not having a great zero…whatever…it’s never the shooters lack of skill.

People like you never take advice well…never put the time in…always fail and quit because someone else has some completely made up advantage. “I could be a top competitor…but I don’t want to…” hahaha!

I will repeat once again…the top shooters in PRS are better than you because they have focus…natural skill…and drive/follow through. Has nothing to do with sponsors. Hahahaha…sponsors. It kills me you think that gives people an unfair advantage!
I never said anyone had an "unfair advantage". I also never said the top shooters didn’t have everything on your list, they clearly do. In fact, I made a list for someone above and listed almost everything on your list. But to pretend that to both get to and maintain a position at the top doesn't require a ridiculous commitment of both time and money is just dishonest.

And to be clear, I could definitely be a top competitor. Again, I have said this several times. I am not willing to make the sacrifices neccessary to achieve that. I'm at a point in my life where it wouldn't make any sense to go that hard. I don't know what excuses you're talking about anyways, because I made none. I shot that match with a shot out barrel. It was a 6cm with right at 1,500tds. I knew I was on the edge, and had been waiting for a replacement barrel for months, and it showed up a few weeks after the match. I took that rifle home after that match and it was shooting 3+moa. My velocity was all over the place. I didn't make excuses, I shot every stage and smiled through the misses. I didn't make any excuses.

Reactions: RAD2 and BurtG
And to be clear, I could definitely be a top competitor. Again, I have said this several times. I am not willing to make the sacrifices neccessary to achieve that. I'm at a point in my life where it wouldn't make any sense to go that hard. I don't know what excuses you're talking about anyways, because I made none. I shot that match with a shot out barrel. It was a 6cm with right at 1,500tds. I knew I was on the edge, and had been waiting for a replacement barrel for months, and it showed up a few weeks after the match. I took that rifle home after that match and it was shooting 3+moa. My velocity was all over the place. I didn't make excuses, I shot every stage and smiled through the misses. I didn't make any excuses.
LOL

It sucks. I have to drive a hour to shoot and 2 hours to mkm to get meaningful practice. During the winter its hopeless. Once it stays light longer i can supplement with dryfire outside.
Ps I love K&M. I'll definitely make the kahles match every year

That’s poor planning and failure to understand your equipment. Excuses. Most competent reloaders can get a 1.5k creed barrel to shoot 1MOA with just an hour or two of effort. Excuses. You could have ordered another barrel months before. Excuses.

The amount of time you have spent on this thread typing and coming up with strawman arguments you could have had that rifle shooting subMOA. Get your priorities straight.

That’s poor planning and failure to understand your equipment. Excuses. Most competent reloaders can get a 1.5k creed barrel to shoot 1MOA with just an hour or two of effort. Excuses. You could have ordered another barrel months before. Excuses.

The amount of time you have spent on this thread typing and coming up with strawman arguments you could have had that rifle shooting subMOA. Get your priorities straight.
Damn, seems like everything you just said are a function of time.

Read what I wrote again, I literally quit trying to compete because I don't have the time to do all of the things you just described. I waited almost 4 months on that barrel after being told it would be 8 weeks. I do not have the time required to be good at this sport, (that's at least the 5th time I've said this), so I gave it up. I'm not even sure why you want to argue about this since all you did was repeat my assertion that I didn't commit ample time to preparation. I assume your anonymity gives you some kind of safety net that allows you to be a dick here, but it's unnecessary.

Damn, seems like everything you just said are a function of time.

Read what I wrote again, I literally quit trying to compete because I don't have the time to do all of the things you just described. I waited almost 4 months on that barrel after being told it would be 8 weeks. I do not have the time required to be good at this sport, (that's at least the 5th time I've said this), so I gave it up. I'm not even sure why you want to argue about this since all you did was repeat my assertion that I didn't commit ample time to preparation. I assume your anonymity gives you some kind of safety net that allows you to be a dick here, but it's unnecessary.
Can we please get back to how great coyote hunters are and the made up part where they whip any top PRS guy in a firefight?

That’s the good stuff.

Also I’m not being a dick. I’m just stating facts if they come off as harsh…well I’m sorry I guess.

Just stop internetting and use that time to get better at shooting. You will end up being a better shooter overall. Like I said prioritize.

If you prioritize getting in unwinnable internet arguments…well…you do you. It’s been entertaining.

Can we please get back to how great coyote hunters are and the made up part where they whip any top PRS guy in a firefight?

That’s the good stuff.

Also I’m not being a dick. I’m just stating facts if they come off as harsh…well I’m sorry I guess.

Just stop internetting and use that time to get better at shooting. You will end up being a better shooter overall. Like I said prioritize.

If you prioritize getting in unwinnable internet arguments…well…you do you. It’s been entertaining.
You're a dipshit. I've tried to be civil and you've repeatedly twisted my words. Have whatever kind of day you want to as you talk shit safely hidden behind a screen name. I don't need your life advice, and if you are who I think you are, you are excellent at shooting crossfit and probably nothing else. I'm sure what I've said here seems like an attack to your God status in an obscure shooting event, that nobody outside of that arena gives a shit about, but it isn't.

Get the SafetyThird lawn mower operator and DeathBeforeDismountingDick up in here with their excuses and get this party started

Matches are great for sorting out what works and what doesn't under the pressure of competition.

It's one aspect of honing your skills as a marksman. But it can also be detrimental if all you focus on is say PRS.

I agree with @blbennett1288, that while competitions like PRS can certainly be helpful in developing certain skills as a marksman, you won't be very well rounded as a marksman if that's all/the majority of where your focus is placed.

Reactions: lash
So kids... We have learned from the hide in this thread and another to be the best shooter in the world you need the following combination:

1. Shoot a Quigley Ford
2. Bench press at least 275
3. Have over 200 confirmed bow kills
4. Be a coyote hunter

I shot PRS for the past 10 years, but don't any more. I am just not able to devote enough time and don't want to devote the amount of funds it requires to excel. I guess I "plateaued" and personally don't find it interesting anymore. The only thing that's changed with PRS over the past decade is that the cost of entry has gone up. The three long distance ranges in my state stopped hosting matches because they got tired of dealing with the PRS.

I've greatly scaled back my time competing because of this. I only shot one match in the past 15 months. I'd like to find something different that holds my interest, but locally it's not here. Steel Safari always sounded fun, but that's 1,800 miles away.