• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

If you only had one large frame AR platform, at the $1k point....

EotS

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 12, 2020
South
I have a pile of 556s in numerous configuration. Need (want) a 308 Ar10.
Reliability is #1. Don't need superfly anything. 20in or so. Versitile enough for paper and hunting. Running a 18x or so.

Looking at a PSA kit.
Any other turn key setups to consider at $1k?

My PSA has been 100%. Well, except when over gassed when suppressed but an adjustable gas block solved that issue. It shoots well out to 600 with factory ammo thus far.

I think PSA is about all you can find at that price. I have a PSA AR that hasn't given me any problems, for thousands of rounds. I have a large frame Aero M5 that has done the same.

I have been really impressed with the quality of my buddies stag ar10 kit. The uppers are sr25 pattern cut so you can slap them in knights and lmt lowers.

They take regular Dpms pattern ar10 barrels and handguards and mags

Reactions: st1650
Off topic, maybe, but just having a desire to “want” a large frame gasser are they even necessary? Just wondering…

• Haha
Reactions: rpoL98
Sig 716Di is a great value.

tenor (1).gif

Didn’t Sig just make like 150,000 716’s for India?? $100,000,000+ contract I believe.

Had an opportunity to shoot one the other, day put about 50 rnds through it. The factory trigger is sloppy and heavy. Other than that, nice piece.

PSA got their SHIT together with the ar15's. Not so much on the large frame AR308's though. It's a 50/50 crap shoot wether you'll get one that runs properly or not. You may spend a couple hundred $ to damn near the price of the gun (depending on if you are competent to fix yourself or have to pay a smith) to get it running right. Everything from undersized gas ports, to incorrect buffer assemblies etc. So how much will your $800+ PSA end up costing in the end??
As mentioned above, look closer towards Aero or literally anywhere else.

Reactions: Kickin45

What's that look for?

Didn’t Sig just make like 150,000 716’s for India?? $100,000,000+ contract I believe.

Had an opportunity to shoot one the other, day put about 50 rnds through it. The factory trigger is sloppy and heavy. Other than that, nice piece.

My dad bought a Sig 761i "Tread" for himself that he sent to my house, it's nice; I do prefer the trigger in my REPR but I am also not entirely sure what the value proposition is on these . I haven't gotten around to firing it yet, curious to see how well it does.

Picked up an aero complete upper and lower in 6.5cm minus charging handle and bcg for under 900 shipped from primary arms. I went expensive with a JP LMOS bcg and SCS plus SA gas block but I could’ve picked up an aero BCG for another 200 and been ready to go for around 1100.

Reactions: Biggie1976
What's that look for?

My dad bought a Sig 761i "Tread" for himself that he sent to my house, it's nice; I do prefer the trigger in my REPR but I am also not entirely sure what the value proposition is on these . I haven't gotten around to firing it yet, curious to see how well it does.

0eb1bec60ca96b2e4ae06c7130eef34b.jpg

Haters gonna hate, but I have a DPMS 24” bull barreled lr308 that’s a fine shooter. I did, however, replace the trigger (SSA-Ej, grip (ergo), buttstock (magpul prs), gas block (JP adjustable), and bolt release (phase 5). Changes were made for preference, not due to breakage or reliability. It came in just north of $1000 (before my changes), 10 or so years ago.

Last edited:
some of you clearly cannot read, he said 1ksig isn't coming in under 1400 and you've got a bunch of prop parts and mediocre accuracy
Stag isn't bad but pretty sure over 1k
smith and wesson is at 1k
psa is at 1k
aero is at 1k
Read just fine. See all of these around the low 1k area depending on who is selling it and whats on it.
89730A74-94D8-4CCF-912B-8E54D2EABA88.jpeg

6BE41859-67CA-4142-8131-276F79B2248F.jpeg

65559241-10EA-4559-AC99-98ADCA5253BE.jpeg

PSA doesn’t even have them in stock, so no price listed. With current inflation prices are going up.

You do have a point about parts being proprietary. Charging handle, upper, lower, hand guard etc.

Tha 716 I shot last weekend was MOA out of a lead slead while sighting in and had no problem hitting c zone steel out to 600yards off a bag. Definitely made me wonder about them.

NOT trying to turn this into a pissing contest. All of these are capable and around the same price point... give or take a few 100 here or there.

Reactions: GLD1980
Read just fine. See all of these around the low 1k area depending on who is selling it and whats on it.
View attachment 7816709
View attachment 7816708

View attachment 7816715
PSA doesn’t even have them in stock, so no price listed. With current inflation prices are going up.

You do have a point about parts being proprietary. Charging handle, upper, lower, hand guard etc.

Tha 716 I shot last weekend was MOA out of a lead slead while sighting in and had no problem hitting c zone steel out to 600yards off a bag. Definitely made me wonder about them.

NOT trying to turn this into a pissing contest. All of these are capable and around the same price point... give or take a few 100 here or there.
lol,
You can buy aero uppers and lowers and slap together for under 1k. Right now m5 aero lowers, (compete) are 350 and uppers are under 650 (complete)
smith and wesson-gunzone deals under 1k (987 to be exact)
PSA, lol, hot garbage with roll the dice qc
sig, you found the unicorn, plenty of threads on lackluster and mediocre results even with match ammo much less the issues with prop parts and gas block alignment issues. not to mention, it's 1400 minimum or 40% higher than the OP said he's looking to spend so yeah, maybe the reading comp is an issue on this board

Nothing to do with pissing contest, OP asks for x and in typical ignorant fashion, people chime in with Y

lol,
You can buy aero uppers and lowers and slap together for under 1k. Right now m5 aero lowers, (compete) are 350 and uppers are under 650 (complete)
smith and wesson-gunzone deals under 1k (987 to be exact)
PSA, lol, hot garbage with roll the dice qc
sig, you found the unicorn, plenty of threads on lackluster and mediocre results even with match ammo much less the issues with prop parts and gas block alignment issues. not to mention, it's 1400 minimum or 40% higher than the OP said he's looking to spend so yeah, maybe the reading comp is an issue on this board

Nothing to do with pissing contest, OP asks for x and in typical ignorant fashion, people chime in with Y
Upper lower then slap them together... you still need to buy a BCG and charging handle. Which puts it right up in there with the 716.

4B74FAEB-6990-4E72-8CBA-0E8E778E3622.jpeg

700123FF-8D20-49CB-9853-A5386B98376C.jpeg

I just purchased the least expensive PSA Gen 3 lower for $220. Rise Armament 434 trigger for $150, BCM Gunfighter grip for $20, Magpul PRS Lite for $110. Total $500 in lower. Complete 20" PSA 6.5CM upper for $550. Added a VG6 muzzlebreak for $70. With taxes i'm around $1200. I added a Vortex PST GEN2 5x25 in Warne 1 piece mount and Harris bipod. Only have 25 rounds thru it for break in but it shows potential.

Attachments

• 20220223_184131.jpg
    20220223_184131.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 48
I'm a big fan of Aero Precision blem sales, free shipping on orders over $99, and an added 10% discount for LE and military. Takes a few months to get everything you need at a discount but you can save a lot of $$.

Reactions: GLD1980
In 2022, I think $1000 is too low of a cap for a reliable AR-10.

It’s hard enough for the top dollar companies to make a consistently reliable large frame AR.

The AR-10 is not inherently-reliable, and wasn’t even in the beginning. Jim Sullivan mentioned this dating back to the ArmaLite Fairchild days in Hollywood.

Magazines are overlooked by many. Hk made some really well-designed mags for the 417, but they are huge.

Eagle Arms/ArmaLite Inc. really made some great rifles in the Mark Westrom era, but I haven’t had any experience with the new ownership rifles.

My AR-10T and multiple ArmaLite Inc. rifles I’ve seen shot in higher round counts have all run without any memorable hitches. Those were all on the modified M14 mags.

I simply don’t trust the parts companies when it comes to AR-10s. Somebody needs to take ownership of the product, rather than running volume price points and offers to replace with the beta testing customer base. I would love to be consistently proven wrong in this case.

Until a major military makes the move back to a 308, no one is going to "take ownership" of the large platform AR pattern rifle.

Until a major military makes the move back to a 308, no one is going to "take ownership" of the large platform AR pattern rifle.
I mean at the company and individual SKU level.

The diversification of the large frame types ships have sailed long ago and only continue to divert from their respective paths.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Last edited:
The OP is asking about an AR in 308 for a low budget of $1K, so I post about the Sig 716di because it's fairly inexpensive and has a decent reputation...

But then this happens...

Strawman argument MEME.jpeg

I just did a GB search for BUY IT NOW, NIB and New Old Stock, Sig 716i Tread, and found two at $1399 and ten at 1499.

What's the current average street price for a 716 Tread, which is a Di and not piston rifle? The 716G2 is the much pricier piston model.

And how many different options are there for good quality, Di, full rifles from other makers?

All of those are the 716G2- which are piston based. I was specific about the Di Tread model 716.

again, this thread has gone full retard because you guys can't read. He said 1k that leaves sw m&p, aero, and psa and of those 3, it's aero all day. I already posted a link to the smith for 987 but here is your sig at the street price I stated earlier

aero lower, less than 350 delivered with discount ends tonight
aero upper complete for 550 delivered
aero bcg for 184

puts you at 1k with moa guarantee (yeah yeah we all know about guarantees but BA barrels have more happy customers than not)

on the EE here, there have been several that could be had for less over the past 2 months.

How many options are there under $1500 for a new, decent AR 308 with a lifetime warranty from a major manufacturer?

There may be more than I thought... I dunno.

+ stock = 75'ish
+ charging handle = 25'ish
And probably some sort of muzzle device.
Obviously some sort of sights/scope.

Sorry folks, bare bones minimum starts at $1500.....you will not be able to overcome that no matter how hard you try.
And....it will be shit, bare bones, hopefully able to pull 2 MOA.
Not much of a point. I just posted a data point... A factual observation. You can add up speculative optics and make it a $5k+ rifle if you want to, or you can pay $50 for a stock, iron sights, and charging handle combined on Amazon/ebay. Also, I think these barrels are Ballistc Advantage 1 MOA guarantee barrels. While you're at it, take another $40 off of mine if you don't want to upgrade to the black nitride BCG. So get that "no matter how hard you try" crap outta here. I don't know what rifle you're in here hyping and don't care. I just posted a $1,039+ tax rifle, saying nothing. Let folks come to their own conclusions.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
Only $1000 Ar-10/Ar308 I have seen is the Smith M&P 10. It doesn’t have sights.

All other examples of the builds mentioned are leaving out import parts.. charging handle, magazine, butt stocks, sights. Unless you want to single feed and shoot with no sights. Also you are now buying a combination of parts,not a complete rifle. Fitment and function could be an issue.

Set the bar a little higher!

I don't know what rifle you're in here hyping and don't care. I just posted a $1,039+ tax rifle, saying nothing. Let folks come to their own conclusions.
8E4C5180-A5B9-41CC-98A4-6408833921F1.jpeg

And the lower you posted had no buttstock.
086ED1F6-2751-4213-977E-0E94055593C6.jpeg

You also failed to include a magazine and sights and a charging handle.

More like a 12-1300$ rifle.

Good lord, some of you are whiney.
Screenshot_20220227-222411_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220227-222304_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220227-221737_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220227-221705_Chrome.jpg
Turn key enough? Or do I need to find you a helmet and chin strap?

Add $66.15 + 1,039 + tax. I know you'd prefer to exaggerate to make the aero look worse and whatever you're hyping look better. But I'm actually showing facts, while you guys are whining. I still don'tknow why and don't care. You wanna pay 1400? Cool. 4k? Cool. $14k for a second hand SR25? Cool. Do your thing and let others come to their own conclusions.

Good lord, some of you are whiney.
View attachment 7817307
View attachment 7817308
View attachment 7817309
View attachment 7817310
Turn key enough? Or do I need to find you a helmet and chin strap?

Add $66.15 + 1,039 + tax. I know you'd prefer to exaggerate to make the aero look worse and whatever you're hyping look better. But I'm actually showing facts, while you guys are whining. I still don'tknow why and don't care. You wanna pay 1400? Cool. 4k? Cool. $14k for a second hand SR25? Cool. Do your thing and let others come to their own conclusions.
My conclusion is you left multiple parts out of the build. Did you include shipping on all those multiple small orders... 🤪

This isn't their normal model. This is their version of the old DPMS G2. If you think the rifle is scarce, try finding a spare BCG for one.

The normal model is a PA-10 and they're all out of stock. :D
Aren't Pa-10’s are normally sub 1k?

I recently wanted to accomplish something similar to what you’re wanting to do. Couldn’t get myself to go the route of the few that I came across that were at about that 1k mark. The ones I saw at that range were PSA, M&P, Savage MSR, and Springfields Saint.

Ended up going with an Aero in 6.5 w a Burris XTR3 3-18 on it. Not that the Aero is a ton better by any means. However, It was about as cheap of a set up as I could go, knowing I was wanting a little better accuracy out of the rig than what I thought the others would bring. Thus far it’s met my expectations. Hope you’re able to come across the right deal that meets your needs.

Attachments

• 7CD4C963-DC16-4449-AC6A-26AD4AD7BF08.jpeg
    7CD4C963-DC16-4449-AC6A-26AD4AD7BF08.jpeg
    415.5 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
Reactions: LonewolfMcQuade
For the low price budget, maybe start thinking used. Keep eyes open at your local LGS's, might find a decent deal on something of better value/quality & low round count. Many cant afford to shoot a ton of the larger calibers therefore it becomes a safe queen. When $$ gets tight or funds are needed for something important, safe queens tend to get hocked 1st for quick cash.

That's how I came across my Armalite AR10 T 308 with a Trijicon Accupoint TR23-2G 5-20x50mm scope & 3 mags at a damn good price.