• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm a reloading dumbass

A round won't drop in until there is significant clearance. The assumption is the neck is perfectly round as is the bullet. We did a demo last night and rounds don't fall in until there is 4 to 6 thou of clearance. It is dependant on chamber and brass. My Fired brass barely accepts a 0.262 expander (for me). Some of my 308s measured right at 308 dia while some got up to 316. Bullet fell in the 316 dia case. not the 308 case.

Its the difference between theory and experiment.

I have a feeling you guys are dinging your case mouths (the biggest reason I don’t care for plunger ejectors), if you extract your cases pushing them so they extract straight, do you see the same thing?
Were you pressing the case down to counteract the spring of the ejector?

Since someone else posted their FUBAR, I'm posting mine in case someone else learns from it.

I'm shooting some nice 140 ELD-M @ 41.5 (6.5 manbun bruh) that has been a killer load for me. Some of them are not fitting and I'm all "DAMMIT NOT THIS CRAP AGAIN" as I have trouble maintaining my headspace. in the past. I swear to god I checked these in the rifle before loading and yet here we are.

Just trying to get some recoil practice in and shoot enough ammo to get 50 brass to load up with 50 more brass I have sitting at home.

Hmmmmmm there's some primers on the bench, that guy musta had a bad day.

OH SHIT THOSE ARE MY PRIMERS!!

And HOLY FUCK THERE ARE EJECTOR MARKS ARE THE BRASS SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT!! (I'd run this load in virgin brass 0 issues).

So now I am in a quandary--I may have fucked up my nice rifle (it looks ok) BUt how in the hell did I get the headspacing wrong and overpressure.

Pulled a round. It measures perfect OAL. 41.5 grains of powder on the dot, verified with my weight system.

What in the actual hell is going on--I'm just a goddman moron. Look at the Headspace comparator....

It has the "E" insert in it.

6.5 takes the "C" insert.

And I am a dumbass for missing that.
I never have done the comparator insert mixup... Came close once or twice, but caught it.

Maybe color code them with different colored Sharpies... Green, blue, red, black, etc... Or some other visual indicator that's easy to check.

Mike

If we are gonna be stupid how many times you clear a house with a bolt gun.
We should all know o give of a gun ,constant measurement base to lan depending on your purpose and mathematical restraints different bullets will have longer or shorter cols but the BTO stays the same for that gun !with that said I would select a bullet short enough to feed but long enough to get the best ballistic benefits !I mostly load bolt gun ammo for bench but know a few things about arms and plainly stated if I were to clear a house I'd set the gun up for that purpose once and write down your specs! Ar's can shoot quite good set up for their purpose, what's the purpose ,your the shot caller ! I'm 69 retired shop teacher and have built a few dozen guns and know the only way to learn is to talk to people not pass them off ! These guns need balance in bolt an buffer !

• Haha
Reactions: Taylorbok
@9/11 are you trying to tell us something? need us to call the bondulance? Not a single thing you have said has had any relevance.