• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

I'm an idiot and could use some help

Hoyt7mm

Bow Shooter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2017
Wisco
Last week I deprimed and sonic cleaned about 300 pieces of brass in preparation for a run through the AMP. After cleaning, I put the brass in the oven at 230 deg F to dry for an hour. I shut the oven off, but didn't remove the brass (you may guess where this is going). Fast forward to today and I preheated the oven to 400 deg, with the brass still inside. Once preheated, I realized my mistake and immediately removed the brass. So, did I just ruin 300 pieces?

I doubt you annealed the brass at 400 deg, how long were they heated ?

I doubt you annealed the brass at 400 deg, how long were they heated ?
However long it took to preheat from room temp to 400...say 12 min or so to be cautious.
I think I'm ok...emhpasis on the THINK, which doesn't appear to be my strong suit today.

From mass reloading.com

Brass is annealed by heating it to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. The higher the annealing temperature, the shorter the time required to anneal. The grain structure of the brass begins to change - indicating the start of annealing - at just under 500 degrees Fahrenheit. At 600 degrees F, brass will anneal in one hour. At 800 degrees F, brass will take only a few seconds to anneal.

From mass reloading.com

Brass is annealed by heating it to a certain temperature for a certain amount of time. The higher the annealing temperature, the shorter the time required to anneal. The grain structure of the brass begins to change - indicating the start of annealing - at just under 500 degrees Fahrenheit. At 600 degrees F, brass will anneal in one hour. At 800 degrees F, brass will take only a few seconds to anneal.
Thanks. I read that as well when initially panicking. I guess I'm just hoping for more verification

Thanks. I read that as well when initially panicking. I guess I'm just hoping for more verification

Not many people have probably tested this. Best bet is probably edit your title with something more along the lines of heating case heads up to 400 degrees etc. that’s where the issue of failure will occur. Some here are very knowledgeable in metals and would be more of a help if they see your title as such.

I say your good to go. But I’m not a metallurgist and would hate to see something go wrong by suggesting you just role with it

Email the guys at AMP. They're pretty responsive and would know 100%.

99.9% you're completely fine.

Make note to yourself. Always check oven before heating, never know if wife or child left something in there.
Can't help much on the annealing, sorry.

Bet you're probably OK. Giraud recommends Templaq 450 stripe down the case head and 750 at the neck.

So if you heated to 400F at the case head for a limited time. Bet you're OK.

Take 5 cases, Load them 1gr or so below your usual load and test. Inspect the cases and "feel" the inside of the case to see if failure is developing.

Oh... and I always check the oven when turning on. You can't imagine the mess that a cake in a tupperware case makes at 350degrees.

BTDT.

Andrew

Reactions: larryh128