• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

I'm confused on bottom metal. Sort me out, please!

Stokes

Quiet
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2001
South Puget Sound, WA
I've a McMillan stock that is cut for factory Remington 700SA bottom metal, and also has the aluminum pillars installed.

I'd like to find some aftermarket bottom metal that is drop in, that I won't have to modify the stock to fit.

Preferably, I'd like to find a DBM using AI mags, but will consider others. Is such a beast availalbe?

Thanks!

Re: I'm confused on bottom metal. Sort me out, please!

HS Precision DBM is only one that is going to be close as a true no-mod fit. Even at that, will need a small bit of fitting.

AI mag systems are wider than factory inlet so stock will have to be modified to allow use.

Wyatt's is another option and have heard they are great...

PM'd ya. For everybody else...I looked into this a lot. There isn't a bottom metal that's drop in, anywhere, period. The closest, as mentioned, is the HS precision, but they use proprietary magazines.

If you want the AI mags, you have to do something like badger, hooper ordnance, etc. There are other guys that make nice stuff like Seekins and CDI but a lot of them make their own mags also.

Just send the rifle back to mcmillan or any competent smith, have it inletted for a Surgeon DBM and be done with it.

no dbm will drop in and let you use AI mags....at least that I know of

there is a version of the williams steel bm and I believe PTG makes a similar BM that will drop in.

I run the williams all steel on my hunting rig and it was a drop on on the HS stocks

Hooper Ordnance stuff says it is drop in fit for factory bdl. I have not used any but it looks good in pictures.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hooper Ordnance stuff says it is drop in fit for factory bdl. I have not used any but it looks good in pictures.

</div></div>

Its not 'drop in'...you still need a small inlet job to get it fitted properly.

OP,
As has been stated, you will need an inlet cut to the stock to make the AICS mag systems work.

Easiest method is pick the DBM make that you like the best, lots of choices now, contact one of the smiths here on the board and send your stock to them for the work. Jeff at CDI will also inlet your stock for a small fee if you buy his DBM.

The process is not difficult, but it will take some work and a few dollars.

Good Luck

I just had jeff at CDI inlet a HS stock for his bottom metal...............he did a great job but more "fitting" was still needed to get it all to work properly together.

After that job all I can say is thank god for my aics.

So no modifying the bottom of my HS stock if I went with the Williams bottom metal?

Stokes, I found myself in the same boat just recently, I wanted to change over my McMillan from a standard SA floor plate to a DBM system. Looking around, I decided on Seekins new AICS, now the other dbm's are all excellent I just liked this one a ittle better, particularly the snag free ambi push button mag release. When I got the system, I thought about sending the stock back to McMillan to have them mill it out, or looking for someone local, I ended up doing it myself. It wasn't very hard, the standard bdl mag well needed to be straitened out and the rear tang area needed to be a little deeper and a slight relief needs to be made for the release to function, if you can bed a rifle or in anyway handy, its a fairly easy install.