• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Im stuck on finding correct incline for long range 22lr build

Ty

So I'm building a Vudoo 22LR trainer.
Looking at NX8 2 -20 or 4-16 ATACR

Total travel 110 moa

Want a 25 yard zero and ability to reach 400 yards which calls for about 80 moa w my 25 zero

I'm actually shooting mils, but for simplicity, I'm showing you numbers in moa

So you need 55 moa of cant in theory.

What I have done and would suggest to you is.....
Get a 30moa rail and a set of Burris XTR Signature rings. Use the different ring inserts to get the extra needed cant to bottom out your scope. With the inserts included in a set of Burris XTR Signature rings, you can get up to 40moa of cant.

Reactions: A-Rob
Easy enough, but I'm building an almost exact rig of my PRS rifle, which has spuhr mount.

Vudoo suggested 40, after considering 60 which wouldnt possibly allow me to get a 25yrd zero.

Just wondering about that math I posted, which looked like a pretty solid formula, but it didnt make sense to me.

Ty

So I'm building a Vudoo 22LR trainer.
Looking at NX8 2 -20 or 4-16 ATACR

Total travel 110 moa

Want a 25 yard zero and ability to reach 400 yards which calls for about 80 moa w my 25 zero

I'm actually shooting mils, but for simplicity, I'm showing you numbers in moa

With my nxs and a 30 moa base, I get about 75 moa worth of adjustment. You will need at least a 40 moa base.

Reactions: Trent A
Most guys I shoot 22RF with zero at 50yds. Any good reason for zeroing at 25? There's only a couple of tenths of a mil at most difference...

Most of the guys I shoot with in .22 prs use a 25 yard zero. As the last guy said not much difference so there is nothing to gain either. With that scope you don’t need much cant. 20 is plenty and not needed. To get to 400 with Eley match it will take about 22 mils of elevation. I use a Steiner t5 with 0 cant rail. I don’t run out of elevation until almost 500 and then there’s the 10 mils in the reticle. 34 mm scope tubes rule for .22lr

Last edited:
Reactions: Burdy
Most guys I shoot 22RF with zero at 50yds. Any good reason for zeroing at 25? There's only a couple of tenths of a mil at most difference...

Plenty of people zero at distances other than 50.

25 is less affected by wind

30/35 is all up adjustments similar to 100yd centerfire zero.

The Trijicon AccuPower 5-50x56 on my Vudoo has 29.1 mrad of elevation and sits on a 20 moa rail.
Comfort zone with 50y zero.

Most of the guys I shoot with in .22 prs use a 25 yard zero. As the last guy said not much difference so there is nothing to gain either. With that scope you don’t need much cant. 20 is plenty and not needed. To get to 400 with Eley match it will take about 22 mils of elevation. I use a Steiner t5 with 0 cant rail. I don’t run out of elevation until almost 500 and then there’s the 10 mils in the reticle. 34 mm scope tubes rule for .22lr

I'm just hearing 25yrd zero is best, but 50 is same thing as far as incline needed...not much difference.0 needed 20 plenty, 40 maximizes turrets, 60 to risky...that's what it seems like

All you need to know...

Why is 25yds a priority?

Only time I've shot my Vudoo at 25y is bore sighting after reinstalling a scope?

Why is 25yds a priority?

Only time I've shot my Vudoo at 25y is bore sighting after reinstalling a scope?

25 is what I'm told I need, never did a 22 lr match, but plan on it in Spring. 50 yard zero and 25 is not much mil difference, not a big deal. I can live w a 50 just as well.

All you need to know...

Thank you, with this help I was able to make a google sheet to help me find my optimal rail incline. Heres a copy of what I did on google sheets.

Check it out, just change value in YELLOW HIGHLIGHTED FIELDS ONLY

If I could get to 400 without a canted base, that is definitely the way I would go. Thanks for the info on your setup. Looks like my scope exceeds the T5's elevation range, so I should be good as well.

As for the 25 vs 50y zero, I would think most that are doing 50y zeros simply don't have parallax that goes down to 25 yards so they zero where they can control parallax. At least thats what I would do.

A few different reasons for 50 yard zero. Never really heard of 50 yards as the lowest setting on a scope though? I’ve done both. Not much of a difference. Our 25 yard targets are small so I like to be right on and couldn’t find an plus side to a 50 yard zero. As the one guy said a 30 or 35 zero allows all up on the elevation so that seems logical. I may even try that. But then again.........why.

Last edited:
I guess my question is, how much shooting will you do at 400 yards? Unless you do the majority at that range, why have your elevation maxed out "down," or nearly so, almost all the time? While I am not expert enough to speak to the actuality and physics myself, there are threads here on SH cautioning against leaving a scope cranked to one extreme or the other of its turret travel for extended periods of time.

I have a 30MOA rail on my Vudoo with a Vortex Razor gen-2 4.5-27x56 on it. With a 50-yard zero (arguably VERY close to 25 yards in terms of elevation setting) and 28.5 mils of elevation range, I can dial to something over 300 yards. If I want to shoot further, I use holdover. I've never shot a PRS -style rimfire match with range over 300 yards, and the great majority of shots are well inside that.

Fwiw.

EDIT: Also, wrt close-up focus: So my Razor focuses down to something like 40 yards. What about the occasional 25-yard shot in matches? No problem. You don't use anything near max magnification that close, and at reduced magnification depth of field increases. I have no problem whatsoever plinking match heads or empty .22 casings at 25 yards because I'm using maybe 8-10x magnification.

Last edited:
Unless your shooting cb caps or have a 4 inch barrel 28 mills will be way way more than 300 yards. 300 yard will be 12-14 mils 7 ish for 200. At 1100 fps.

Last edited:
Unless your shooting cb caps or have a 4 inch barrel 28 mills will be way way more than 300 yards. 300 yard will be 12-14 mils 7 ish for 200. At 1100 fps.
28.5 mils total. Approximately 14.25 mils above center, 14.25 mils below. Add 8-9 mils "up" for the rail. Subtract whatever individual vagaries for the particular rifle/scope/rings/rail. On mine, I get 17.7 mils total "up" from zero. Lapua Polar Biathlon at 1103fps gets me to 370 yards, 350 yards with Center-X at 1070fps. Which I do believe is "something over 300 yards" on a calm day or especially with unfavorable wind.

Edit. I do have to adjust. My .22 Razor is MOA, and I simply converted to mils for this post. Turns out that Vortex specs show the MOA version has 71MOA total, which is a fraction over 21 mils. I assumed MOA and milrad Razors would have the same total elevation, whether expressed in mils or MOA. Wrong. Learned something new tonight.

Last edited:
28.5 mils total. Approximately 14.25 mils above center, 14.25 mils below. Add 8-9 mils "up" for the rail. Subtract whatever individual vagaries for the particular rifle/scope/rings/rail. On mine, I get 17.7 mils total "up" from zero. Lapua Polar Biathlon at 1103fps gets me to 370 yards, 350 yards with Center-X at 1070fps. Which I do believe is "something over 300 yards" on a calm day or especially with unfavorable wind.

Edit. I do have to adjust. My .22 Razor is MOA, and I simply converted to mils for this post. Turns out that Vortex specs show the MOA version has 71MOA total, which is a fraction over 21 mils. I assumed MOA and milrad Razors would have the same total elevation, whether expressed in mils or MOA. Wrong. Learned something new tonight.
That’s not much elevation adjustment. He will have much more than that.

That’s not much elevation adjustment. He will have much more than that.
That's a good point. Tunnel vision / assumption on my part. I do think the general points around avoiding too much emphasis on the extremes of range need to be considered.

I have a 60 moa base on mine and am able to zero at 25 yards with both nx8 2.5-20 and atacr 7-35. Furthest I have taken it is 540 yards with the atacr and was able to dial the 30.2 mil it took that day.

Murphy precision made me a 42 or 44 moa base a while back. Maybe 40?? Lol, been a while. Top notch and may be worth a look if they are still around.

I have a 60 moa base on mine and am able to zero at 25 yards with both nx8 2.5-20 and atacr 7-35. Furthest I have taken it is 540 yards with the atacr and was able to dial the 30.2 mil it took that day.

Sounds great. Wowness. Question, what scope mount did you do and is there a way I can tell what the nx8 will need in ring height on my MPA competition chassis?
I really want to do Spuhr unimount, not sure what height I need going into a MPA Competition chassis

Sounds great. Wowness. Question, what scope mount did you do and is there a way I can tell what the nx8 will need in ring height on my MPA competition chassis?
I really want to do Spuhr unimount, not sure what height I need going into a MPA Competition chassis
I have it mounted in a Spuhr. Its in a 1.35 height, just to match my other rifles with the same height spuhr's. It sits higher than it needs to for any clearance issues but I like my scopes mounted a little higher if I have the option of an adjustable cheek piece to keep my head up a little more. You could use a lower height if you wanted to.

If you are using a 0 cant rail and a t5 and not using rings or a 1 piece mount with added cant you are probably limited to about 300 yards. A t5 has about 28 mil total travel and about 14 mil up on a 0 cant base.

I like 50 moa bases for my 22 if I plan to shoot to 500. I have a 50 moa base and swfa 20x on my 52c that gives me 105 moa up from a 50 yard 0. Between 45 and 55 is usually good for scopes with at least 100 moa of travel.

I Shoot a Vudoo V22 also. Ammo is SK standard plus at 1060 fps. I am running the factory 20moa rail and I have an Ares ETR mounted in a 20 moa ADM scope mount. This still maintains my 25 yards zero and I can dial 25ish mil before using the 10 mil of holdover in the reticle.