• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Impact or loan peak Fuzion

That's cool to hear that they have essentially the same timing.

Agree the other the difference is subtle for sure. The drawings I saw had a 10 thou difference in counterbore, 140 vs 150 so you'd have a tiny bit more case support on a LP barrel. That's not much at all and since the headspace is the same then essentially it would seem to be a judgement call about how much bolt nose to barrel clearance there is. I wonder if the bolt nose rim to bolt face protrusion is the same on a LP vs Impact bolt.
That’d a pretty simple measurement for anyone to do with anyone has both action. I can measure an impact tomorrow.

Using a tool is pretty lame when others have twist tops but all is well
Are you worried about running the bolt or taking it apart once every 3 months?

Does anyone know the main difference between the fuzion vs razor action? Are they both as smooth and have prefit barrel compatibility.

Does anyone know the main difference between the fuzion vs razor action? Are they both as smooth and have prefit barrel compatibility.

I could be wrong, but the razor doesn’t have intergral rail and not aw cut. More of a hunting action for box mag type stuff.

No, but my previous action had a twist removal and thought my Fuzion also had this feature but apparently not.

I am like you. I prefer rifles that can be field stripped without any specialized tools, or the rifle has a tool contained on itself.

Reactions: S3th
Different priorities I guess. I've taken apart my bolt twice in the past year but i shoot in GA where theres not alot of moon dust.

Look man, worst case scenario you can use your boot lace to strip your bolt

I see we have an intelligent gentleman in the mix, I second the shoelace if you need too...

Mike R.

Just picked up my Impact and prefit on Sunday. This is my first custom rifle. I went back and worth between Impact and LP. Now, I feel like I need to pick up a LP as well.

Either way I went this thread would have been dominated by the other action.

Time to convince the wife she needs a custom rifle too. 😁

Reactions: kthomas
It seems there is a lot of speculation by a lot of people and nothing for certain. You’d think, for as many people that apparently have both Impacts and LPs in this thread, someone would have put this to bed by now...

Going to torque an Impact barrel on the LP and test using gauges. It’ll either headspace or it won’t. If it headspaces properly using gauges I will test fire it to see if there are any ill effects on brass due to the difference in counterbore.

At least then we’ll have some evidence either for or against using Impact barrels on LP actions.
Have you gotten the chance to do this yet? I have two impacts, kind of want to try a LPA fusion, this would be awesome if they work between each other.
@Shanerbanner10 have you gotten a chance by chance to confirm? Thank you both in advance!

@Sheldon N hey I was just wondering per your explanation, since the counterbores are different per tenon diagrams by 10 thou but if they headspace the same it would be 10 thou less in the counterbore regardless even if you had a prefit spun up for your specific action and didn't interchange barrels? LPA Fuzion diagram for their tenon is 140 thus it appears 10 thou shorter than impact (I don't see any tenon diagrams published for impact per web search).

Appreciate your guys input on this!
Thank you!

This is what I was told when I had a new barrel put on my Fuzion. These are the direct quotes from him. He had a barrel for an impact laying around and was curious so checked. This wasn't a pre-fit but a barrel he had fitted to one of his Impact actions. He fitted a new different barrel for me.

"It's almost identical, barrel tenon is spot on, headspace of your action is .002 more than an impact, so an impact prefit would work, it would be ideal to adjust the sizing die so you aren't bumping the shoulder too much"
"I had a brain fart, your receiver is a match for an impact prefit, with the barrel hand tight it is go +.004, so once it's torqued down it should be go+.001+.002"

Have you gotten the chance to do this yet? I have two impacts, kind of want to try a LPA fusion, this would be awesome if they work between each other.
@Shanerbanner10 have you gotten a chance by chance to confirm? Thank you both in advance!

@Sheldon N hey I was just wondering per your explanation, since the counterbores are different per tenon diagrams by 10 thou but if they headspace the same it would be 10 thou less in the counterbore regardless even if you had a prefit spun up for your specific action and didn't interchange barrels? LPA Fuzion diagram for their tenon is 140 thus it appears 10 thou shorter than impact (I don't see any tenon diagrams published for impact per web search).

Appreciate your guys input on this!
Thank you!

This is what I was told when I had a new barrel put on my Fuzion. These are the direct quotes from him. He had a barrel for an impact laying around and was curious so checked. This wasn't a pre-fit but a barrel he had fitted to one of his Impact actions. He fitted a new different barrel for me.

"It's almost identical, barrel tenon is spot on, headspace of your action is .002 more than an impact, so an impact prefit would work, it would be ideal to adjust the sizing die so you aren't bumping the shoulder too much"
"I had a brain fart, your receiver is a match for an impact prefit, with the barrel hand tight it is go +.004, so once it's torqued down it should be go+.001+.002"
Ah.... got it thx for that info! So basically it will work but brass will need to be sized differently by .002

Good info!

I have an Impact action on hand now and my buddy has several Lone Peak actions and barrels, so I should be able to play around with this some more perhaps in the coming weeks.

I'll try to measure the bolt nose protrusion when we've got them on hand too.

Reactions: BCX
So I played around a bit side-by-side with the Impact and Lone Peak fusion. Headspace is identical, measured with go and no-go gauges on common barrels. Engraving timing is off, when the lettering on the Lone Peak barrel is correct for 9:00/3:00 that will put it at around 6 and 12:00 on the Impact.

Measuring the bolts themselves (both 308 BF) the Impact bolt is indeed 10 thou longer from bolt face to bolt nose. I think they measured 0.150 and 0.140 or therabouts but I didn't write it down.

There was no contact between the bolt nose of the Impact action and the barrel tenon when putting on a Lone Peak barrel, but I don't know how much gap remained. I'd be curious to know what the total clearance between bolt nose and barrel tenon is when chambered properly.

Given that bolt noses are 0.010 different and barrel tenon's are 0.010 different, there is actually a 20 thou net difference in clearance when switching barrels between actions (shorter bolt nose + shorter tenon or longer bolt nose + longer tenon). I'm not a gunsmith so don't have any knowledge of whether the bolt nose plays any part in supporting the case head, or if clearances are too close if you run a Lone Peak barrel on an Impact action.

So I played around a bit side-by-side with the Impact and Lone Peak fusion. Headspace is identical, measured with go and no-go gauges on common barrels. Engraving timing is off, when the lettering on the Lone Peak barrel is correct for 9:00/3:00 that will put it at around 6 and 12:00 on the Impact.

Measuring the bolts themselves (both 308 BF) the Impact bolt is indeed 10 thou longer from bolt face to bolt nose. I think they measured 0.150 and 0.140 or therabouts but I didn't write it down.

There was no contact between the bolt nose of the Impact action and the barrel tenon when putting on a Lone Peak barrel, but I don't know how much gap remained. I'd be curious to know what the total clearance between bolt nose and barrel tenon is when chambered properly.

Given that bolt noses are 0.010 different and barrel tenon's are 0.010 different, there is actually a 20 thou net difference in clearance when switching barrels between actions (shorter bolt nose + shorter tenon or longer bolt nose + longer tenon). I'm not a gunsmith so don't have any knowledge of whether the bolt nose plays any part in supporting the case head, or if clearances are too close if you run a Lone Peak barrel on an Impact action.

Here are the difference from tenon diagrams.

Impact 1-1/16-16 3a thread. .705/.150 counterbore.
.950 tenon.

Lone peak 1-1/16-16 2a thread. .710/.140 counterbore. .940 tenon.

Thanks for this, as I am interested. I am also not a gunsmith and would love to hear some qualified answers.

I may be doing this incorrectly, but given the measurements from you and WildBill3/75, the beginning of the chamber should start at the same distance from the bolt face. (see math below….if I did it correctly)

So if the headspace is the same, and the distance from the bolt face to the chamber is the same, shouldn’t the difference then be 10 thou of unsupported case if you put an Impact barrel on a Fuzion? And wouldn’t that 10 thou of unsupported case already be there on a LP barrel/LP action since the bolt face to chamber measurement is the same? The other 10 thou looks like it is in the “three rings of steel” (bolt nose, barrel tenon, and receiver overlap of case) and not the amount of supported case by only the bolt nose.

I think an important part we are missing is the distance between the bolt nose and the deepest part of the counterbore/beginning of chamber for a correct LP and Impact barrel. If both were the same, then I wouldn’t think a LP barrel would fit on an Impact action.

What am I missing?

Impact

Tenon = .950
Counterbore = .150

Start of chamber/counterbore ends .950 - .150 = .8 from the bolt face.

Lone Peak

Tenon = .940
Counterbore = .140

Start of chamber/counterbore ends .940 - .140 = .8 from the bolt face

I had a friend share a copy of the prints for both chambers.

Impact Lone Peak.jpg

Not sure if it was answered earlier in the thread, but Lone Peak does make an action wrench specific to the fuzion.

Thread resurrect! Any thoughts from people 1.5 years later that have run both? I go back and forth between the two a couple times a day, coming from a Bighorn Origin that has been great but want something with a little smoother bolt throw.

I've been shooting my Impact (also TL3's) and have since added a Lone Peak Razor which is my daughter's match rifle now. The Impact and the Lone Peak are very similar in feel to me. Would be hard pressed to choose between them. Comparing to my TL3's which are super duper smooth and low effort I wouldn't say the Impact/Lone Peak are "smoother", maybe just more solid feeling.

Side note since I saw all the prior discussion about Impact barrels on Lone Peaks and vise versa.... I'm running an Impact prefit on my Lone Peak action. I chatted with the guys at Lone Peak and they said no issue. I've had no problems, headspaces the same as when that barrel was on my Impact action.

Thanks for the input @Sheldon N . I’m leaning Loan Peak at the moment but Impact was very cool when I reached out today. I know Tate and Wade have a great reputation and they offer an LE discount so I’m waiting to here if LP offers similar. Nice to know there’s so many good options for shooters these days. The Impact guys just seem like good dudes.

An Impact in a Foundation just seems so “Oklahoma troop-line-cool-kid” I may just HAVE to do the LP to rep the west coast. 😉