• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Impact or loan peak Fuzion

jmw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2018
Missouri
Ime going to do a 6bra and I can’t make up my mind which of these two actions to pick. I have a impact and like it but would like to hear from anyone who owns both
Thanks

I’m trying to decide between the two myself. Here’s what I’ve gathered:

A few people have posted they like the Lone Peak more.
One gunsmith prefers Impact
Far more people have Impacts where I am.
I see far more Impact Barrels for sale, I think logistically it wins.
I’ve handled 3 Impact actions. 2 of them felt exactly like Defiance actions. 1 of them was amazingly smooth.

I still haven’t made up my mind yet.

Reactions: jmw
I have Defiance, Lone Peak, and just picked up an Impact. I don’t feel there is a difference in quality, all top notch. The more I shoot the Lone Peaks the more I like them. Bolt cycle is smooth and solid on closure. My latest Defiance I had nitrided... super super smooth and feels like my Lone Peaks. I honestly am partial to the bolt cycle feel of the Lone Peak and Defiance over the Impact. But I do like the trigger hanger, magazine release, and the availability of prefit barrels for the Impacts.

I have no experience with Lone Peak, other than knowing some of the guys involved, who are great by the way. I ran Defiance for years, than at a particular dusty/dirty match, I tried another competitors bolt operation after day 2. I was completely blown away by how smooth it still was, where mine was difficult to efficiently operate.

I made a call to Impact, and inquired about availability of a 737. Now I own 2, planning on picking up at least 1 more, and a long action when it becomes available. The ability to buy pre-fits from a ton a reputable builders (R Bros, Stuteville, Exodus, The Firm, etc) is definitely a feather in the hat. I haven't had to wait for a new barrel, or gunsmith to hang a new barrel in over a year. I honestly dont know what I would do now, without the prefits.

I haven't had any customer service needs, but Tate checks in every now and then to make sure everything is still running well and I am happy.

I have nothing but the best things to say about Impact, and I for one will be a lifer.

Not really a bad option between the choices listed. Being a consumer in this market these days is pretty awesome, much better choices then 5+ years ago.

When I was making a choice between Lone Peak and Impact for my wife's rifle (also a 6BRA), what sealed the deal for me was that every single person that I talked to that had experience with both actions, including some top gunsmiths, preferred the Lone Peak Fuzion. It runs really well in shitty conditions (as does Impact). When I shot the 2018 Quiet Riot match, which had really dusty conditions, the Fuzions (and I'm sure the Impacts) still felt amazing. My friend and I were shooting Mausingfields, and while they held up perfectly fine, you could start to feel them get a bit gritty. Lone Peaks also are made with tight enough tolerances that gunsmiths can spin up "pre-fit" shouldered barrels for them, so you can certainly find them. Any gunsmith that has actions to the tennon specs or has experience with the LP Fuzion should be able to spin you up a pre-fit barrel. My gunsmith of choice is TS Customs, who spins up more LP Fuzion barrels then probably anyone else.

Nothing wrong with the Impact either though. Great action and well thought out. Initially it was overhyped on the internet, but the hysteria has calmed down a bit on them. They handle dust incredibly well, people like how they feel, you have prefits available (like most modern actions these days), good CS, etc. They are both very well built renditions of the rem700 2 lug push feed action. Honestly myself (or my wife) would've been happy with either action I'm sure. I almost bought an Impact over a Mausingfield, but the deal on the Mausingfield was too good to pass up.

In form and function they are close enough that you may as well go with the action that you can get the fastest, cheapest, and/or the one your gunsmith of choice is most comfortable with. There really isn't a bad option between the two.

Since you already have an Impact, why not pick up a LP Fuzion so you can try out both?

That's what I would do if I was in your shoes. Now that I have a LP Fuzion in the house, I almost want an Impact as well for the sake of having something different (on top of the x2 Defiances, Mausingfield and TacOps R700).

i am leaning towards the lone peak. All the shooting I do is prone or off a bench. I run my actions slow and don’t like the feel of my impact while closing the bolt. It has a super light lift and if you run it fast it feels great, the bolt feels like it closes itself, however it has that “hitch” that you feel when closing slow. I actually prefer the feel of my deviant or mausingfield when running bolt slowly. How does your lone peak feel when cycling slow

From what I recall, it feels nice and smooth when closing the bolt, even slowly. No "hitch" that I can remember - smooth like my other actions. If it had a "hitch", I'm certain I would've noticed that. Bolt lift is a little heavier right at the beginning of the bolt throw then say compared to a well tuned Defiance or Mausingfield (mine has a really light bolt lift), but it "snaps" open really quickly once you get over that initial lift (which still isn't heavy at all).

I'm out of the country and way from my house until April due to work and green card visa stuff, so unfortunately I can't run home and do a quick comparison for you.

I've never ran an impact for an extended period of time, but have 3x Fuzions now (2 Nitride steel and 1 Nitride Titanium). They are all very nice and run awesome. If you have an Impact, scratch the itch and try a Fuzion.. I don't think you can make a poor choice here.

Reactions: kthomas and jmw
Well I ordered a lone peak today. Ime going to have TS customs chamber my barrel. Thanks for the replies, Ille chime in when the rifle is in hand and I can comment on it.
Thanks again
Jason

I'm looking forward to hearing how you like it!

What action wrench is best with a lone peak. I have a viper wrench, I guess it should be fine

What action wrench is best with a lone peak. I have a viper wrench, I guess it should be fine

I haven't put an action wrench in the wife's Lone Peak, so I can't say for certain. I would imagine a Defiance or Impact wrench would work just fine?

Unfortunately I won't be back home and with the rifles until April, so I can't confirm until then.

Ask Travis or shoot Lone Peak an email.

I've heard informally that the tenon length/headspace on Lone Peak and Impact is the same, so you could conceivably run Impact prefits on a Lone Peak. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

Reactions: 702lineman
As far as action wrench’s Both Travis and Brian from lone peak told me a surgeon wrench.That was quite awhile ago and they may have there own now.Reach out to lone peak.

I've heard informally that the tenon length/headspace on Lone Peak and Impact is the same, so you could conceivably run Impact prefits on a Lone Peak. Can anyone confirm whether this is true?

I'm curious to know as well, I personally haven't heard that.

Perhaps @Shanerbanner10 knows?

I'm curious now as well. I"d be hesitant to say yes, but looking at the tennon spec on Lone Peaks website, a Impact should fit a Lone Peak Fusion, but I wouldn't 100% say a Lone Peak would fit an Impact. The Lone Peak barrel fitting an impact would be darn close. As for headspace, I would defintely check with gauges. Impacts drawings have a headspace measurement, no peaks do not. So can't say there for certain.

Well I ordered a lone peak today. Ime going to have TS customs chamber my barrel. Thanks for the replies, Ille chime in when the rifle is in hand and I can comment on it.
Thanks again
Jason
You are going to love the LonePeak and Travis at TS Customs is as good as it gets and very easy to work with.

Travis has spun a couple Lone Peaks with Proofs and Benchmarks for me... you will NOT be disappointed. They are all above and beyond my abilities.

Are both actions AW cut? Any issues cycling if resting rifle on the mag?

As I stated above, you can in fact get Impact 737's cut for AW; both of mine are, and both run great.

As for the second part of this question; I have zero issues cycling if resting on the mag. This is more a problem with magazine fitment within the bottom metal, magazine presentation to the bolt face, and bottom metal to stock/chassis interface.

I am not sure I would make a for or against decision, based on if it will feed with the system resting on the magazine. That is not a very stable position, and a better shooting solution should be developed, in my opinion.

Reactions: Chesapeake
As far as action wrench’s Both Travis and Brian from lone peak told me a surgeon wrench.That was quite awhile ago and they may have there own now.Reach out to lone peak.
i ordered a surgeon wrench, I when I use it Ille post how well it works

I'm curious now as well. I"d be hesitant to say yes, but looking at the tennon spec on Lone Peaks website, a Impact should fit a Lone Peak Fusion, but I wouldn't 100% say a Lone Peak would fit an Impact. The Lone Peak barrel fitting an impact would be darn close. As for headspace, I would defintely check with gauges. Impacts drawings have a headspace measurement, no peaks do not. So can't say there for certain.

Circling around on this I asked another gunsmith friend who offers prefits for both Lone Peak and Impact. It's one of those close but not quite situations. Timing of threads and the engraving probably wont match up and while the headspace spec is the same there is a larger counterbore on an Impact barrel vs a Lone Peak, leaving more unsupported case than you have to. So while it would function and headspace it's not ideal. Better to just go to a gunsmith who can cut you a Lone Peak barrel to the perfect specs.

50FEF864-4B51-419E-8DA9-C5D99FB19D19.jpeg
Got barrel from TS customs and got rifle put together. Haven’t got to shoot it, but hopefully this weekend.
Lone peak fuzion
Manners prs1
Bartlein 7.5 5r MTU 28” length blended thread protector
Bix n andy tacsport pro 2 stage

I was all for the Fuzion but ended up ordering an Impact. Didn’t see any LPs at two different two day matches while there were dozens of impacts at each.

I was all for the Fuzion but ended up ordering an Impact. Didn’t see any LPs at two different two day matches while there were dozens of impacts at each.

Impact has a big following. There certainly was a lot of hype at their release, which generated a lot of interest in shooters and thus sales. There's definitely a lot of them showing up at matches. Their brand was marketed brilliantly, how much of it was intentional I don't know.

Lone Peaks seem to be a bit more regionally dependent for matches you see them at. You don't see them marketed or hyped up much, they seem to be more of a "sleeper" option.

Impacts are great actions, no doubt about it, but don't make the mistake of correlating popularity with quality and performance. So far every one I know who's had both prefers the LP, I wouldn't be surprised if you see them getting more popular in the future.

Reactions: 5RWill
Impact has a big following. There certainly was a lot of hype at their release, which generated a lot of interest in shooters and thus sales. There's definitely a lot of them showing up at matches. Their brand was marketed brilliantly, how much of it was intentional I don't know.

Lone Peaks seem to be a bit more regionally dependent for matches you see them at. You don't see them marketed or hyped up much, they seem to be more of a "sleeper" option.

Impacts are great actions, no doubt about it, but don't make the mistake of correlating popularity with quality and performance. So far every one I know who's had both prefers the LP, I wouldn't be surprised if you see them getting more popular in the future.
That’s what I’ve heard as well. For me it’s more of a logistics thing. Barrels can found more readily and for whatever reason I need a barrel in a hurry I can borrow one from a friend. Pretty much all the people I shoot with use Impacts. Likewise for spare parts if I need a bolt or firing pin or something, they all have spares.

But the main reason is the Impact is a known quantity for me as I’ve felt and shot several. Never got a chance to put hands on a lone peak.

Reactions: kthomas
That’s what I’ve heard as well. For me it’s more of a logistics thing. Barrels can found more readily and for whatever reason I need a barrel in a hurry I can borrow one from a friend. Pretty much all the people I shoot with use Impacts. Likewise for spare parts if I need a bolt or firing pin or something, they all have spares.

But the main reason is the Impact is a known quantity for me as I’ve felt and shot several. Never got a chance to put hands on a lone peak.

Those are more then very fair reasons to get an Impact. They are awesome actions. Really, you can't make a bad choice between these two options IMO.

My lone peak and benchmark barrel from Travis has shot outstanding. The feel of the bolt is amazing no matter the condition and it doesn't seem to matter what I run for ammo. All of my future work will go to lp and Travis. Sure it might be more expensive then some options but it is well worth it imo.

Reactions: kthomas and Pav67
My lone peak and benchmark barrel from Travis has shot outstanding. The feel of the bolt is amazing no matter the condition and it doesn't seem to matter what I run for ammo. All of my future work will go to lp and Travis. Sure it might be more expensive then some options but it is well worth it imo.

Travis Stevens is awesome to work with, he does some really good work with good turnaround times. He's my go-to gunsmith these days.

My wife's rifle is a LP Fuzion built by TS Customs, and that's an awesome little rifle for her. The bolt on the LP Fuzion just wants to "snap" open once you get past the first ~15-20% or so of the bolt lift. I really like how the LP Fuzion handles and feels.

One thing to keep in mind is that the bolt handle on my wife's would work itself loose after a number of cycles, had to use red loctite to get it to stay in place. Blue Loctite just wasn't enough to keep it in place either. Not sure if this is typical of actions like the LP Fuzion or if my wife's is just the victim of a little bit of tolerance stacking with the threads. But at least it's an easy fix.

Reactions: 5RWill and jmw
I've had a
bighorn TL3,
Curtis axiom
And an impact
I now have 2 impacts and the rest are gone
They are the slickest
Actions I've used except for maybe a couple of bench rest guns I was allowed shoot but that's a different animal all together.

I will say Travis seems like a good guy and he is very easy to get in touch with. Like I said earlier, I haven’t got to shoot rifle yet, but the work on the barrel looks excellent. I used antisieze on threads but before I put on the antisieze I spun the action onto the barrel and just gave it a quick snap of the wrist and it locked up tight, took some effort to break loose, which I think is a sign of good threads and good fit. He recommended 100 ft pounds so that’s what I did. Defiance wrench, viper vise, Wrapped a little drywall tape around barrel, everything worked perfectly.

I can give a initial report on my 6bra. Ime very happy with the work from TS customs. I have 110 fire forming rounds down the barrel and this thing is a hammer. Ime using 29.5 grains of h4895, 105 Berger, 10 thou off. This pic, believe it or not, is a typical 5 round group from this rifle fire forming the new brass. I only hope the fire formed brass loads shoot as good. On a side note I put a Minox zp5 on it today, and this scope is incredible. Thanks for everyone’s input. Ille chime back in when brass is all formed and have a load developed.
F5CE4BD6-B88D-4589-8C37-9EE97C83BC23.jpeg
A7B4EEEE-1237-4F41-8C43-8C43A34E30FA.jpeg
171647BB-EBD6-4491-B9A7-000DA1F2CA80.jpeg

Will chime in on this. I finally felt a fuzion last night at a buddies house. I'm here looking to see if Impact barrels time with Fuzions lol. There is nothing wrong with the Impact but i was never blown away with how "smooth" it is. I like the action and i know it will run in anything. But given the hype and what i was told i was expecting something close to my DLCd and polished tempest. It's not. Then i felt a lone peak and while i wouldn't put it above my tempest as far as how slick it is. It's cam on close and cam on cock was impeccable. It was hands down the smoothest coated 2-lug i've ever felt and effortless to work. It honestly felt timed, like Travis at TS customs had put the time in to work on the sear engagement. My buddy told me it wasn't and this is apparently how most of them feel. If that is the case, i'll be owning one very soon. I can't really just dump my 7SS but i'd be lying through my teeth if i didn't wish it was a Fuzion barreled 7 SS right now and not the Impact.

I recently was debating between the two and opted for the LP fuzion, partly because I live in Utah where they are, and partly cause of the comments I saw on the hide about them. I’m impressed at how light the lift is and how smooth the action feels. I have no experience with impact but I’m don’t regret my decision at all. For kicks my wife and I tried getting the action to bind, and really couldn’t get it to stick at all. It’s crazy.

Reactions: rydah and kthomas
Will chime in on this. I finally felt a fuzion last night at a buddies house. I'm here looking to see if Impact barrels time with Fuzions lol. There is nothing wrong with the Impact but i was never blown away with how "smooth" it is. I like the action and i know it will run in anything. But given the hype and what i was told i was expecting something close to my DLCd and polished tempest. It's not. Then i felt a lone peak and while i wouldn't put it above my tempest as far as how slick it is. It's cam on close and cam on cock was impeccable. It was hands down the smoothest coated 2-lug i've ever felt and effortless to work. It honestly felt timed, like Travis at TS customs had put the time in to work on the sear engagement. My buddy told me it wasn't and this is apparently how most of them feel. If that is the case, i'll be owning one very soon. I can't really just dump my 7SS but i'd be lying through my teeth if i didn't wish it was a Fuzion barreled 7 SS right now and not the Impact.
Who DLCd and polished your tempest? Would you say it was worth doing work on the tempest?

Who DLCd and polished your tempest? Would you say it was worth doing work on the tempest?
100% it remains the smoothest action I’ve laid hands on. Granted when i got my tempest they came bare. Cam on close/cock is not as nice as lone peak but the smoothness of the action itself is absurd. But Chad Buie at what was formerly known as club custom guns is who you want. He’s a great guy and does quality work. I had him dlc dads SR3 receiver as well.

Last edited:
I own both. The lone peak gets run weekly. The impact not even close to as much. Nothing at all wrong with the impact. I prefer the feel of the lone peak.

Hard to explain. But the lone peak feels more stout and more even across the cocking/camming.

Again, nothing wrong with impact. I like them a lot as well.

I own both. The lone peak gets run weekly. The impact not even close to as much. Nothing at all wrong with the impact. I prefer the feel of the lone peak.

Hard to explain. But the lone peak feels more stout and more even across the cocking/camming.

Again, nothing wrong with impact. I like them a lot as well.

Pretty much every single person that I know and have talked to that has run the LP Fuzion and the Impact prefers the LP Fuzion, it's not even close.

The hyperbole and rhetoric hype machine was strong for Impact when it came out, you don't really hear much about the LP Fuzion which is a shame, as it's arguably better then the Impact. Impact did a great job with marketing, it got in the right shooters hands and the hype exploded. LP Fuzion is still that excellent sleeper option.

Like you say, both great actions. One gets way more hype then the other.