• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Impact or loan peak Fuzion

Pretty much every single person that I know and have talked to that has run the LP Fuzion and the Impact prefers the LP Fuzion, it's not even close.

The hyperbole and rhetoric hype machine was strong for Impact when it came out, you don't really hear much about the LP Fuzion which is a shame, as it's arguably better then the Impact. Impact did a great job with marketing, it got in the right shooters hands and the hype exploded. LP Fuzion is still that excellent sleeper option.

Like you say, both great actions. One gets way more hype then the other.

The good news is the Impact doesn’t really disappoint vs the hype. It’s a great action.

I can’t say the same thing about other hyped actions unfortunately.

The good news is the Impact doesn’t really disappoint vs the hype. It’s a great action.

I can’t say the same thing about other hyped actions unfortunately.

Yeah, you are definitely not making a bad choice per say by getting an Impact.

Circling around on this I asked another gunsmith friend who offers prefits for both Lone Peak and Impact. It's one of those close but not quite situations. Timing of threads and the engraving probably wont match up and while the headspace spec is the same there is a larger counterbore on an Impact barrel vs a Lone Peak, leaving more unsupported case than you have to. So while it would function and headspace it's not ideal. Better to just go to a gunsmith who can cut you a Lone Peak barrel to the perfect specs.

Circling back around to this, again. The impact does have a large counter bore, but its ~5 thou which is not nearly as bad as some other actions call for on their prefits (Curtis). I honestly do think prefits for Lone Peak and Impact would be interchangeable. We do a ton of Impact Prefits, but finally got some orders for Lone Peak and on my timing jig they lined up almost dead nuts the same. At the end of the day its the responsability of the end user to ensure the rifle they are shooting is safe. So check headspace and all that to ensure you're good to go.

Reactions: Renomd and jzwolen
Circling back around to this, again. The impact does have a large counter bore, but its ~5 thou which is not nearly as bad as some other actions call for on their prefits (Curtis). I honestly do think prefits for Lone Peak and Impact would be interchangeable. We do a ton of Impact Prefits, but finally got some orders for Lone Peak and on my timing jig they lined up almost dead nuts the same. At the end of the day its the responsability of the end user to ensure the rifle they are shooting is safe. So check headspace and all that to ensure you're good to go.

That's cool to hear that they have essentially the same timing.

Agree the other the difference is subtle for sure. The drawings I saw had a 10 thou difference in counterbore, 140 vs 150 so you'd have a tiny bit more case support on a LP barrel. That's not much at all and since the headspace is the same then essentially it would seem to be a judgement call about how much bolt nose to barrel clearance there is. I wonder if the bolt nose rim to bolt face protrusion is the same on a LP vs Impact bolt.

Just out of curiosity and knowledge sake, knowing that both are great actions, what makes the LP better/“a no brainer”? What does the LP do better? What does the Impact do better?

Last edited:
Lone Peak does everything equally as well, if not better than an Impact, and is smoother/lighter on bolt lift/close. I had several Impacts and loved them. Bought a Lone Peak just to try something different, and the Impacts were sold shortly after. Like I've said before, and others in this thread, there is no bad option between the two actions.

Lone Peak does everything equally as well, if not better than an Impact, and is smoother/lighter on bolt lift/close.

There you go Johnny ;)

Mike R.

Reactions: BCX and kthomas
ugh....wish i wouldn't have come in here and read all the comments. Just ordered a build and the gunsmith actually recommended the Impact over the Lone Peak so i switched my build from Lone Peak to Impact. Had nothing bad to say about Lone Peak and said it is really splitting hairs, but he has seen more consistency in the thread tolerances for Impact which makes it more reliable making prefit barrels.

You guys are making me already regret my decision :confused:

Reactions: eazy e
The LPs that I’ve felt were sloppy as fuck. Y’all are really gonna make me go and find another one to finger bang?

Or am I just that averse to slop while others don’t mind it?

The LPs that I’ve felt were sloppy as fuck. Y’all are really gonna make me go and find another one to finger bang?

My impacts have more clearance (slop) than my lone peaks. My lone peaks are new. I know they changed tolerances a little within the last year or so to make pre-fits possible. Maybe they changed something with their bolt clearance as well.

That’s one of the reasons I prefer my lone peak. Less slop.

Could just be sample variance if we’re being honest. I felt three defiance’s the other day. One was amazing. Felt timed and worked on. One was alright, and one had been cerakoted and was sluggish as hell.

My impact isn’t that tight but as long as it’s not binding say like a bighorn that doesn’t bother me. Not really a knock at bighorn either we’ve had three of them, still have two. Mine was just prone to binding if it wasn’t ran perfectly. The main difference between the LP and the 737R is cam on close and cam on cock. The LP is effortless where the impact needs a bit more forward pressure on the cam on close, almost reminiscent of my Tempest. Not that forceful but similar feel. Granted my LP experience is a sample size of one but it was enough to make me want to give it a run.

Can't say I've noticed excessive slop in my wife's LP Fuzion or any other one I've played with.

It's actually the reason why I got one for the wife. Originally went with the TL3, which she hated due to the excessive slop. She loves the LP Fuzion, there's no slop to speak of and has the correct clearances to be really resistant to debris initiated issues.

My impacts have more clearance (slop) than my lone peaks. My lone peaks are new. I know they changed tolerances a little within the last year or so to make pre-fits possible. Maybe they changed something with their bolt clearance as well.

That’s one of the reasons I prefer my lone peak. Less slop.
Which brass catcher do you run?

Maybe it’s a combination of sample variances. My Impact is nothing short of incredible, but it’s well worn and again, a sample of one. And maybe I’m wrongly associating “slop” with binding... the Impact does have a little play, but I can’t get it to bind no matter what I do. The LPs that I’ve played with felt like TL3s in that they would bind with off-axis pressure. Maybe that’s what I didn't like.

I’ll have to see if I can get my hands on a new LP to see if it’s any different than the ones I remember. I do like the idea of no COC.

Maybe it’s a combination of sample variances. My Impact is nothing short of incredible, but it’s well worn and again, a sample of one. And maybe I’m wrongly associating “slop” with binding... the Impact does have a little play, but I can’t get it to bind no matter what I do. The LPs that I’ve played with felt like TL3s in that they would bind with off-axis pressure. Maybe that’s what I didn't like.

I’ll have to see if I can get my hands on a new LP to see if it’s any different than the ones I remember. I do like the idea of no COC.

I do wonder if those were older ones you played with.

My wife's is impossible to bind. If she could bind it, we wouldn't own it.

ugh....wish i wouldn't have come in here and read all the comments. Just ordered a build and the gunsmith actually recommended the Impact over the Lone Peak so i switched my build from Lone Peak to Impact. Had nothing bad to say about Lone Peak and said it is really splitting hairs, but he has seen more consistency in the thread tolerances for Impact which makes it more reliable making prefit barrels.

You guys are making me already regret my decision :confused:

Given that Tikka can hold tight enough tolerances for shoulderd pre-fit barrels, I wonder how many folks are truly experiencing issues mating up new barrels to their LP (or other top tier) actions. Did he specify the degree of variance? Is he talking thread depth for timing/headspace? Just curious.

Given that Tikka can hold tight enough tolerances for shoulderd pre-fit barrels, I wonder how many folks are truly experiencing issues mating up new barrels to their LP (or other top tier) actions. Did he specify the degree of variance? Is he talking thread depth for timing/headspace? Just curious.

He may be referring to the earlier ones, in which weren't held to close enough tolerances that prefits could be made. IDK.

But this is the first time I've heard people are having issues with the newer ones.

The gunsmith didn't mean that he couldn't make a pre-fit, but he said he has had zero issues making a prefit without the action in hand for the Impact, but he had a few issues with timing (i specifically remember him stating timing for something) or something for the Lone Peak. I don't know much about that stuff so i can't say for certainty what the issues or how many. My guess is there weren't too many with how popular the Lone Peak is.

At the end of the day, i figured either action would be fantastic for me as i've never used a custom action before. My experience up to this point has been my Q bolt rifle and some Savage 10/110's, Remington 770's and maybe a Ruger. If my gunsmith feels better about the Impact and he will be tuning everything then i think i will be more than happy....hopefully.

Reactions: kthomas
He may be referring to the earlier ones, in which weren't held to close enough tolerances that prefits could be made. IDK.

But this is the first time I've heard people are having issues with the newer ones.

And that may very well have been the case. He did mention they have gotten better and that he could call them up to check on the current situation if i still wanted the LP but as i said in my post prior to this one, they both sound FAR superior to any that i've used before and have stellar reputation for quality so i don't think i personally will be missing out on anything.

BTW, i am going with the Impact long action for a 300WM. He mentioned about the way the long action for Impact is being cut a better way (again, sorry for my complete ignorance on the subject) than the current short action Impacts but they are looking to update the short action.

My intent was not to dog your choice, at all. I ran into a gent this past weekend running his impact like a sewing machine. Had it bolted into an MPA chassis with a Proof CF pre-fit on it and was just going to town. I know shooter skill matters, but if I were gonna pick an action from last weekend just based on how it looked being run, the 737R would be a top choice.

My intent was not to dog your choice, at all. I ran into a gent this past weekend running his impact like a sewing machine. Had it bolted into an MPA chassis with a Proof CF pre-fit on it and was just going to town. I know shooter skill matters, but if I were gonna pick an action from last weekend just based on how it looked being run, the 737R would be a top choice.

No worries. i always second and third guess my decisions so if i would have chosen LP i would have regretted not going with the Impact, lol. In regards to shooter skills, well that is absolutely true and i need not worry there as i have ZERO skill so either action will perform poorly in my hands, but i will have a lot of fun missing.

Can lone peak actions be configured into single shot.

You can get an AICS pattern single shot sled, like these:

If you want it to be built single shot only, I'm not sure. Best would be to contact Lone Peak and find out if that's an option.

Last edited:
You can get an AICS pattern single shot sled, like these:

Should have been more detailed in my post, what I meant was could you order the action as single shot

I think I’ve talked myself into changing out one of my impact .223 for a lone peak .223...

Probably one of the smartest guys in this thread, not the smartest but he's up there ;)

But what would I know ?

Mike R.

Reactions: eazy e
Just got my lone peak fuzion today. Out of the box it is as slick as my three year old tl3 with over 10,000 rounds through it. I ordered it with a .308 and .223 bolt. Couldn’t be happier so far. My buddies came in a few weeks ago and he has been hammering .223 with it. He cleaned a stage the other day at a small local match that went out to 1003 yards. Was shooting 88 grain eldms loaded on a Dillon. I put a few through it and I’ve never felt an action that cycled as nice.

Just got my lone peak fuzion today. Out of the box it is as slick as my three year old tl3 with over 10,000 rounds through it. I ordered it with a .308 and .223 bolt. Couldn’t be happier so far. My buddies came in a few weeks ago and he has been hammering .223 with it. He cleaned a stage the other day at a small local match that went out to 1003 yards. Was shooting 88 grain eldms loaded on a Dillon. I put a few through it and I’ve never felt an action that cycled as nice.

No-Brainer = An easy obvious conclusion, decision, solution, task, LP choice definitely not the lessor, etc.; something requiring little or no thought...

Great choice Danrobberg and HillBilly n TX I'll be telling my Grandchildren about you guys...

Mike R.

For those of you that have multiple actions, do you just have way too much money or is there a reason you just don't swap barrels and bolt faces? Serious question because a lot of people talk about these actions being "switch barrel" but it seems most just have multiple actions instead. I would love a reason to justify buying a Lone Peak Fuzion down the line, but if i can switch my Impact from the 300WM i'm having it set up for do almost any other caliber i want then what would be the reason for another action?

It's pretty simple actually. Some people prefer to make 1 rifle do everything (think AXMC), and others prefer having rifles for a specific task. I prefer having rifles/suppressor for a specific task, and as long as I have the means to do so, I'll keep doing it that way.

It's pretty simple actually. Some people prefer to make 1 rifle do everything (think AXMC), and others prefer having rifles for a specific task. I prefer having rifles/suppressor for a specific task, and as long as I have the means to do so, I'll keep doing it that way.

Makes sense and I completely understand the philosophy of 1 gun 1 task.

For those of you that have multiple actions, do you just have way too much money or is there a reason you just don't swap barrels and bolt faces? Serious question because a lot of people talk about these actions being "switch barrel" but it seems most just have multiple actions instead. I would love a reason to justify buying a Lone Peak Fuzion down the line, but if i can switch my Impact from the 300WM i'm having it set up for do almost any other caliber i want then what would be the reason for another action?

Couple reasons. You can’t shoot one while other is cooling at the range.

I have a couple matches coming up and don’t want to mess with zero/dope on the rifle I’m going to be using.

Swapping barrels and bolts gets old, especially if you shoot those cartridges frequently.

You will see a lot of people that start off with the one "switch barrel" rifle, with full intention of having one gun and multiple cartridges, eventually get dedicated rifles for each cartridge. Swapping out a barrel, sometimes a bolt and a magazine, re-zeroing the scope, is just not as convenient as grabbing the next rifle off the rack while letting the other one cool down.

I go back and forth between rifles as I let each one cool between strings of fire. Having to constantly replace the barrel and re-zero the scope would be annoying.

"Switch barrels" systems just aren't as convenient as you would originally think. Plus, with some quick barrel setups, like ones where say a grub screw is used to keep the barrel snug, you are introducing another potential failure point into your system. I will take an ~80-100+ ft-lb torqued and shouldered barrel over a gimmicky grub screw "switch barrel" setup any day.

One of my favorites is the sponsored shooters who go on video extolling the virtues of their sponsors quick barrel change ability, but then get a dedicated rifle chambered in up each cartridge, with the barrels torqued and shouldered. Real glowing endorsement...

Anyways, I digress :p I'm personally not a fan, but I know there are others who swear by them.

The best "switch barrel" system I've ever used isn't a switch barrel system at all - it's swapping an entire upper receiver, optics included, and using the same fire control group. Same magazines, same trigger, same stock...same user interface for me and an optic that stays zero'd to whatever upper it's on and it all swaps as easy as two pins out, two pins in. I wouldn't mind rolling a bolt action with the same capability, but I don't see that on the horizon. Like a lot of guys, despite how easy it is to swap uppers, I still run different lowers.

Anyone know if the actions from Altus are fully nitrided? Pics show just the bolt body, but LP’s website shows full action.

Was going to order one through Altus just because... but want to get the full nitride version to truly compare vs. the Impact. If there’s a better place to order, let me know.

So i had a barrel and bolt for my impact. Am currently in dental school and don’t have anytime and just came to the realization once my 7SS was built on the 737r i wasn’t about to break that thing down to switch it to 6.5x47 simply because i didn’t feel like doing it.

If i was to do another switch barrel it would be a DTA.

Anyone know if the actions from Altus are fully nitrided? Pics show just the bolt body, but LP’s website shows full action.

Was going to order one through Altus just because... but want to get the full nitride version to truly compare vs. the Impact. If there’s a better place to order, let me know.

They should come fully nitrided. I would call Altus to confirm, but all the LP Fuzion's I've seen have been fully nitrided from the factory.

Reactions: Dthomas3523

Mine was

Thanks, Josh from Altus emailed me back and said they sold out today, but that they should have more from Lone Peak in the next week or so.

He also confirmed that all actions going forward are fully nitrided (though it sounds like they have been for a while). Figured I will get one to see for myself and throw one or two of my Impact barrels on it to test.

Thanks, Josh from Altus emailed me back and said they sold out today, but that they should have more from Lone Peak in the next week or so.

He also confirmed that all actions going forward are fully nitrided (though it sounds like they have been for a while). Figured I will get one to see for myself and throw one or two of my Impact barrels on it to test.

I have been told by BlueMoutainPrecision and PatriotValleyArms that Impact prefits will not work on LPA Fuzions.

"Their prints dont match so I wouldn't advice this" - BMP and PVA basically said that he would have to cut clearances for the bolt nose.

I have been told by BlueMoutainPrecision and PatriotValleyArms that Impact prefits will not work on LPA Fuzions.

"Their prints dont match so I wouldn't advice this" - BMP and PVA basically said that he would have to cut clearances for the bolt nose.

It seems there is a lot of speculation by a lot of people and nothing for certain. You’d think, for as many people that apparently have both Impacts and LPs in this thread, someone would have put this to bed by now...

Going to torque an Impact barrel on the LP and test using gauges. It’ll either headspace or it won’t. If it headspaces properly using gauges I will test fire it to see if there are any ill effects on brass due to the difference in counterbore.

At least then we’ll have some evidence either for or against using Impact barrels on LP actions.

Last guy I had cut my barrel compared the impact prints to the barrel already cut for my lone peak and they were within .002.

Reactions: 5RWill