• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

improvised rifle

ArmedByRuger

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Shingletown, CA.
I've been thinking about what would happen if the communists oops I meant democrats
grin.gif
had their way on banning lead and gun powder and just about anything else gun related like they did in England how could we improvise around this, because defending your rights with a crossbow or a taser is... not good. What I'm considering is large diameter bottleneck cartridge that holds a correct ratio of sodium hydroxide, aluminum, and diesel. The sodium hydroxide dissolves the aluminum and produces hydrogen gas pressurizing the shell with oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. The shell would have either a cap or built in electrodes for spark ignition. Upon ignition the pressure and temperature generated by the O,H,N mixture would compress and auto-ignite the diesel producing a much higher net pressure and temperature vaporizing any liquid left in the shell casing and propelling the bullet down the barrel. A simpler design would consist of a shell casing with an airsoft valve for the insertion of LPG into the shell casing as the catalyst to vaporize and ignite the diesel. The large diameter bottleneck would supplement higher velocity from the lower pressure fuel. The bullet would consist of an iron or steel lathed rod dipped in a polymer or resin jacket. What do you think?

Re: improvised rifle

Make BP, it's reliable, data exists and you can shoot hard cast lead from existing components.

Primers can be made too, but best to just leave 1k of each type you might need for defense in a sealed, untouched state if/when it comes to that.

You can get everything you need to make BP from Agway or any other farm supply store.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make BP, it's reliable, data exists and you can shoot hard cast lead from existing components. </div></div>

In his scenario they banned lead as well... So no BP.

My longbow however will shoot 200 yds 8)

It's not what I want to use for self defense....I'll just have to be an outlaw.

Ugg! Me use rock.

or...

When Atlatls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Atlatls...

I seem to recall reading an article a few years ago about a rifle (remington I think) that had an electronic primer system to eliminate the lock time and moving parts of the firing pin. I don't know if its still in production, but the same concept should work well in this application

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ugg! Me use rock.
</div></div>

Wisdom of the elders, right there.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about exactly how drunk I'd have to be to start thinking that this was a sound and purposeful idea and I am very comfortable with the fact that I would be dead from alcohol poisoning long before I blew myself up with a diesel powered rifle.

If you seriously think that some sort of rebellion is going to be brought to the point of considering this as a legitimate method for combating our overlords, then you might want to start studying up on Gandhi because the leadership is going to be desperately soliciting alternatives.

Ok, I've gone back and read your other posts and I understand now that you are conducting some sort of Gecko45 style comedy performance art with the persona you have created. Congrats on going a full 5 months without being identified as an excessive legal liability by the moderators and subsequently banned. I'm sure we'll all be watching to see if you can make it 6...

Bow and Arrow.

Lots of rifle equipped soldiers found out that it's pretty effective depending on the indian.

Lots can be made in just about any of the woods I have walked through using nothing but what nature gives you.

Ghandi was the man for his times. These are different times, with different 'values'. I think Ghandi would get short shrift in days like ours.

As interesting as various SHTF scenarios may seem, I don't think anyone can envision what might happen if/when(?) the world turns upside down.

Simple is good. Restraint is probably better.

Like when I'm driving, I have two rules. Don't be the fastest car in sight, and only use the left lanes when it's absolutely necessary. Oh, and since Im over sixty; check my directionals from time to time, too...

For SHTF, I'd let the rash ones take the lead. I understand the concept of 'cannon fodder', and seriously intend not to be same. He who laughs last may seldom get the point anyway, but at least he gets to do the laughing.

This may sound crass, but there was a moment in 'Nam when I stood over the body of a wiseguy and told him, "I told you so...".

That day, I learned an important lesson. He didn't.

Greg

The replacing of lead in firearms is a real and legitimate issue. Finding a cheaper better alternative is good for both gun enthusiasts and the environment and would give the liberals one less reason to complain about us, which is all and all good. Now as for the propulsion of ammunition we have been using gun powder several hundred years. I just think it is about time someone come up with something better. It was recently discovered in Germany that a high voltage discharge over a spark gap through water can instantly detonate the hydrogen and vaporize the water producing a muzzle blast as high as 4,000ft/s. The muzzle blast alone from the water is enough to blow a hole clean through an 1/8 inch thick aluminum plate. I don't know about you but a projectile that moves at 3-4,000ft/s is a marksman's dream being that it would have a flat laser like trajectory.

Now as for Ratbert's comments if I post what seem as silly questions, or I seem fool hearty, immature, or perhaps there not enough hair on my chest compared to the ex-military and civil protection officers here. This is why I am here to surround my self with men who are smarter, have more character, and life experience I do. A man is only as good as the people whom he surrounds himself with that define him. I look forward to the day that I can be around men like you whether in forum or in person and not be considered green gilled.

aquanet and a bag of potatoes is all I need

Hey armedbyruger,
Your comment about not useing lead would be better for the envrioment just got me thinking.
Lead is a natural substance on the face of the planet, so what's so bad about digging it up over here and injecting back in the ground over there?

I am working on a electric gun, similar to a rail gun, but no rails....should have a really long "barrel" life, and nice, HIGH velocitys. Due to design, the projo is hollow too, so other than being capable of really goode BCs, it will have some intresting terminal ballistics. And range. Only thing i am worried about (other than cost, which is amazing for such a "simple" device) is accuracy, since there is nothing that can be called a barrel per se, the bullet might get bumped around quite a bit.

That would make a good improvised rifle.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fr3db3ar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Make BP, it's reliable, data exists and you can shoot hard cast lead from existing components. </div></div>

In his scenario they banned lead as well... So no BP.

My longbow however will shoot 200 yds 8)

It's not what I want to use for self defense....I'll just have to be an outlaw. </div></div>rambo did ok with a bow

I can't believe this thread was allowed to remain open.

By the time you need to worry about the scenario your describing, you wont be worrying about having lead and gun powder, and I'll be SOL.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmedByRuger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I've been thinking about what would happen if the communists oops I meant democrats
grin.gif
had their way on banning lead and gun powder and just about anything else gun related like they did in England how could we improvise around this, because defending your rights with a crossbow or a taser is... not good. What I'm considering is large diameter bottleneck cartridge that holds a correct ratio of sodium hydroxide, aluminum, and diesel. The sodium hydroxide dissolves the aluminum and produces hydrogen gas pressurizing the shell with oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen. The shell would have either a cap or built in electrodes for spark ignition. Upon ignition the pressure and temperature generated by the O,H,N mixture would compress and auto-ignite the diesel producing a much higher net pressure and temperature vaporizing any liquid left in the shell casing and propelling the bullet down the barrel. A simpler design would consist of a shell casing with an airsoft valve for the insertion of LPG into the shell casing as the catalyst to vaporize and ignite the diesel. The large diameter bottleneck would supplement higher velocity from the lower pressure fuel. The bullet would consist of an iron or steel lathed rod dipped in a polymer or resin jacket. What do you think? </div></div>

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=...kesallthese.wav

In Kalifornia we do not have a lead ban yet. If it happens I have access to several tons based on about 2 to 4 oz on each and every tire in this state.