• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Range Report Inconsistent or normal for factory match ammo?

snorkygunner

Sergeant
Banned !
Minuteman
Jul 31, 2013
Montana
Decided to chrono a box of Hornady 140 ELD-M Match ammo after doing some load development last week and got some numbers that surprised me. Here's the data I got and I wasn't expecting such a wide range. Do the SD and ES seem pretty normal for factory match ammo? Shot out of a 24" factory RPR barrel with 75 rounds and over a Magnetospeed V3.

Avg 2659
Min 2623
Max 2687
SD 17.5
ES 64

Interesting. I've got another box from the same lot so I might pull the bullets this week and weigh the charges. Guess it was wishful thinking that factory match ammo would be decently consistent.

Interesting. I've got another box from the same lot so I might pull the bullets this week and weigh the charges. Guess it was wishful thinking that factory match ammo would be decently consistent.

Some advice? Go out and shoot it at distance. Don't judge by numbers alone. I use that ammo in matches and do very well with it. Let the ammo show you how it does. Also with only 75 rounds through the rifle the barrel is still working in. My SDs are usually around 11-13fps.

And don't bother pulling bullets. Waste of time and ammo. Just shoot it.

20180224_103042.jpg

I've had excellent luck with the 147s. Albeit only a sample of 10rds shown here, this is the most consistent factory ammo for my barrel. Give it a try if you haven't, for me it has better numbers on the chrony than the 140s. But as @Rob01 said, it really doesn't matter. I've seen him shoot our club match here in NC and the standings don't lie!

Reactions: Rob01
Most of the factory ammo that I have shot through the years from 308 to 6.5 has SD in that range. Some lower, but mainly low teens. I never had issues with the ammo at distance, only my ability to read the wind. As others above said... shoot it.

Here's some results from a trip to the range last week.....using my Tikka A1 and Magnetospeed....140 ELD-M Match ammo.....

I also shot 2 five shot strings of 140 ELD-M loads of mine: 41.8gr H4350, CCI450 in Lapua brass.

I really didn't expect the factory ammo results to be so positive...

Two days ago, amidst some other testing, i put another another five factory rounds over the chrono and the average velocity was 2710 and the SD was 8.5.
Screenshot 2018-05-04 11.58.53.png
Screenshot 2018-05-04 12.04.41.png

I’ve had best results with the 147’s for some reason they’re more consistent with lower SD’s and ES.

Barrels matter, I’ve shot with my shooting partner using the same ammo (Hornady ELD Match) and his rifle DT with a factory barrel has higher SD and ES than my RPR with an LRI barrel on it. The LRI barrel was chambered for the ELD.

SD and ES do matter, run the numbers at 1k in your solver using a SD of 5FPS and an ES of 15fps (good hand load) and then compare to a SD of 15fps and a ES of 40fps (good factory ammo). The difference is what your giving up. It’s still not worth reloading IMO but your hit probability is higher with a lower SD and ES.

Last edited:
But reloading is so enjoyable in and of itself, if you have the time it can be very rewarding.

I have 200 pcs each of Lapua and Peterson small primer brass for 6.5CM, and wanted to try the Hornady as well. That's the main reason I bought 100 rounds of 140gr ELD-M factory ammo. I'm happy with it, and surprisingly pleased with the accuracy as well as the "numbers."

George

Here are a couple screenshots from AB Analytics. I zeroed everything out and input .5 MOA for the rifle. The top is 5fps confidence factor the bottom 15fps.

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 1.34.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 1.34.13 PM.png

But reloading is so enjoyable in and of itself, if you have the time it can be very rewarding.

I have 200 pcs each of Lapua and Peterson small primer brass for 6.5CM, and wanted to try the Hornady as well. That's the main reason I bought 100 rounds of 140gr ELD-M factory ammo. I'm happy with it, and surprisingly pleased with the accuracy as well as the "numbers."

George

LOL I hate reloading. It's a means to an end. I would rather be shooting than sitting behind a bench. I know some like it but I just can't get into that mindset. Wish I could.

Out of 3 different barrels, the ES's for factory Hornady 140 ELD-M was around 50-60 fps. So what you are seeing is on par for the course.

My rifles would shoot the 140's really well, it shoots good for factory stuff, the ES's are just high. I would have no problem shooting it in a match (and I have).

Prime ammo was similar numbers, but my gun didn't like it as much. The only factory ammo that I have shot that doesn't have crazy high ES's is .308 FGMM through my TacOps. That has impressively low ES's/SD's for factory ammo.

For what it's worth, i decided not to reload for my 6.5 Creedmoor match rifle, and instead put all the time that i would've put into reloading into barricade dry fire practice, as i dont have time for both. I'm now consistently placing 7-10 places higher than when i reloaded and didn't practice as much.

Out of 3 different barrels, the ES's for factory Hornady 140 ELD-M was around 50-60 fps. So what you are seeing is on par for the course.

My rifles would shoot the 140's really well, it shoots good for factory stuff, the ES's are just high. I would have no problem shooting it in a match (and I have).

Prime ammo was similar numbers, but my gun didn't like it as much. The only factory ammo that I have shot that doesn't have crazy high ES's is .308 FGMM through my TacOps. That has impressively low ES's/SD's for factory ammo.

I would agree with the FGMM numbers and downrange results. It’s stupid good IF your gun likes it. Hornady and others could take a lesson from Federal in producing “match” grade ammo.

Hornady does just fine. Don't need to take lessons from anyone. Many people shooting them in matches and doing well. Not many shooting FGMM 168 SMKs. ;)