• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Inexpensive but sturdy rifle shipping container?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
I'm going to be sending a rife in for some work (non warranty)and need some recommendations on how to pack it. I have some old shipping boxes from the factory but I'm wondering if there is any a bit better without buying a pelican. I prefer bags so I would never use the pelican except for shipping. Thanks

Re: Inexpensive but sturdily rifle shipping container?

Get a standard off the shelf hardshell plastic case from Walmart. Wrap your rifle in bubble wrap. Stick it inside and eliminate the possibility of any movement within, then close it. Zip tie and duct tape the shit out of it. Insure it for the full value amount and pray for the best.

I order the Plano. The box is light cardboard and really will only last for a few trips, unless you wrap it in a heavy tape.

At that price it works great for what little shipping I do.

MidwayUSA sells dedicated firearms shipping boxes in various sizes that I have used to ship firearms/components all over the place for gunsmith work, etc. They are made of a heavy-duty cardboard exterior with a fully padded (foamed) interior with internal lengths up to around 58" depending on your needs.

The full-size rifle boxes run around $40 or so (the last time I bought one) and they are good for multiple shipments assuming that the monkey brigade at USPS/USP/FedEx aren't too hard on them (I had FedEx basically destroy one about 3yrs ago but the contents were safe/secure with no damage).

If you are interested, go over to MidwayUSA and try running a search for "shipping box" or something along those lines.

Does the smith NEED the stock, etc for the work, or are you only getting barrelled action work done? It is a HELLUVA lot easier and cheaper to just ship a B/A.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the smith NEED the stock, etc for the work, or are you only getting barrelled action work done? It is a HELLUVA lot easier and cheaper to just ship a B/A. </div></div>

Yeah, they said that it would be "better".

I looked at the Midway cardboard box but I can't see paying $50 for a cardboard box. Midway has a Plastic Plano with foam interior for $20. I think I will buy that and then put that inside my factory rifle shipping boxes. That should do it, (I hope).

I don't know if you have a firearms store close to you, but for my gunbroker auctions I've gone to my local gunstore, and asked for the shipping boxes in which new rifles have been shipped. If you're going the PLANO or similar route, place the Plano in the cardboard box which is more specific to rifle shipping. Just an idea that has worked for me. My customers have been happy.

Best of luck!

-G45

Besides the walmart/plano case, by breaking the rifle down reduces the over length making it a whole lot easier to find a heavy box and then just pack the hell out of it.

I agree with MWDG3 Order from someone online that way you get the shipping box to put it back in. I ask for them at walmart and they said they are shipped to them in bulk with no box. I have also done what Tbag said break the rifle down. Looks less suspicious to someone wanting to damage or lift something.
I also have better luck with USPS than UPS. They are easier to deal with (except pistols) and 95% of the time the box gets through unharmed. I think UPS teaches a class on how to damage a package, at least in my area.

UPS, worked their many moons ago and talk about damage. Moving packages by hand as fast as one can and it was nothing about tossing light to medium packages half the length of a semi-truck trailer. Amazed more packages didn't get damaged.

Re: Inexpensive but sturdy rifle shipping container?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer bags so I would never use the pelican except for shipping. Thanks</div></div>

If you EVER fly you will need the Pelican. I don't see a point in life were I won't have at least one hardcase.

However they are heavy as hell for shipping. I would just bubble wrap the hell out of it. Slap it in a Plano and bubble wrap/tape/zip tie that. Stick it all in a cardboard box and pray.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thefitter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I prefer bags so I would never use the pelican except for shipping. Thanks</div></div>

If you EVER fly you will need the Pelican. I don't see a point in life were I won't have at least one hardcase.

However they are heavy as hell for shipping. I would just bubble wrap the hell out of it. Slap it in a Plano and bubble wrap/tape/zip tie that. Stick it all in a cardboard box and pray. </div></div>That ^ will work pretty good. I've shipped motorcycle engines in rubbermaid containers, packed real well with bubble wrap and paper then zip tied <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #990000">then wrap the zip ties in duck tape so UPS man does't cut himself setting off a violent package destroying rage</span></span> haha

Drill holes in the plano case every 4-6 inches and put a good zip tie through it and then cover the tie in tape. Make sure you throw some extra ties in the case for when it gets shipped back, hopefully it will come back the way you sent it. Mine always did.

I had the USPS DESTROY a Plano case in a midway shipping box. Sent my FN SPR to Jeff at CDI and when he sent it back, one corner of the cardboard box looked like an accordian.
When I opened the box PIECES of the plano case fell out.
I have no idea what sort of gentle handling the USPS thought would be good for the box, but at least the bubble wrapped rifle inside the case was fine.

As someone said earlier, about the best you can do is, wrap it in bubble wrap, pick wahtever outer container (or two) you find acceptable, and hope for the best.

I can't believe the complete lack of respect for property shown by the USPS, but I guess they figure it isn;t theirs so they don't give a rat's posterior.

madd0c

Thanks for the replies. However I pack it I won't be sending it UPS or USPS. I find I get better service with FEDX for important shipping needs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hntbambi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These boxes are not too bad. Foam lined shipping box </div></div>

That's a much more reasonable price for a cardboard box.

Rifle_ConvFoam.jpg

Box looks pretty flimsy ^ and I could also see a cheap plano case getting trashed.

Get a $15 <span style="color: #000099">Rubbermaid</span> container (not clear) from Walmart, the long and narrow kind made to go under the bed. Take the barreled action out of the stock and bubble wrap it all up real good, put it in a cardboard box to add rigidity then drill holes in the edge/lip of the container every 4-6 inches. Put a zip tie in each hole. Duck tape the zip ties. Like I said, I've shipped heavy ass moto engines like this and never had a problem, just make sure the sharp zip tie edges are taped so you don't piss anyone off.