• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inexpensive shooting bag filler...any particular preference?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
I've been searching the forum and while i haven't seen a consensus i have seen mentioned:
rice
beans
polyfill
plastic poly pellets
airsoft bbs
sand.

Wondering which might be preferable.

I don't think i'd like to try food.

Sand sounds like it would be pretty heavy.

Some of the commercial fills marketed specifically for this purpose are pretty expensive and while i bet they represent excellent options....the reality is that i'm never going to be a significant player in this sport.....i just want to learn a lot and have fun, so pretty good would suit me just fine.

thank you

I’ve tried several different fill materials and ended up settling on used tumbler media. Specifically corn cob, it works well and it’s free.

Popcorn. Doesn’t react to moisture like rice or beans do. Used it on an old issues sock as a rear bag for years until I got an Armageddon bag, but it’s still living in my range bag.

Rice. Made two bags 6 years ago. Still using them. A bit heavy.

If you want lighter, BB, pay more.

First one was a green gi sock filled with 30 bucks of air soft bb's. Worked great for many years. It got a hole in it so I stuck it in another green gi sock. Still works.
But there are some pretty nice ones for decent prices. Go check out the equipment section and scroll through a couple pages. There are plenty of threads on them.

Box2Bench precision has some pretty cheap superlight fill. I use it for the bags on my hunting rifles, actually have to slip a few ounces of lead shot in too to get a little weight to where I like it.

Reactions: accurate_okie
thanks everyone....very grateful for the help as always.
the reason i'm asking is I saw MidwayUSA has some bags on sale and the rice filled sock i've been using has seen better days.

thanks everyone....very grateful for the help as always.
the reason i'm asking is I saw MidwayUSA has some bags on sale and the rice filled sock i've been using has seen better days.

Or buy once cry once and hit up @Precision Underground for the ultimate rear bag I had him design and make for me which is now a regularly stocked item with him. Best rear bag Ive ever owned, its used weekly since I received it and I own at least 15 other bags from all the big names....

I made two bags and filled the first with plastic beads from a hobby store. I really like it, but it's heavy. I wanted something lighter for hunting and found my kids bean bag chairs were filled with styrofoam pellets. I stole some and really like the feel. It only weighs a couple ounces and I clip it to my hunting pack.

1 for 10.20 it's a one lb bag take what you want and jam it into a you fill bag . acts just like poly fill just the beads are a little larger a little but still tiny it even makes for a nice fill for a pillow if you don't mind the crunching sound as you head rolls on them . but for 36.00 you could do away with the need all together and go to a lab jack and have an adjustable rear bag like thing just takes a tiny alteration .
I am not thinking this would work for say a prs but bench or prone shooting . Our so far it has put the bags we have wasted $80.00 on to shame . taking out the middle section on the lab jack the thing sits less than 1/2 in high so its low enough on some tables if I need height I crank it up total height is like 6 inches if I ever find a need for that much height and that has worked really well on the ground . You would have to decide on your own feet as it does not have any I used screws so its pointy and grips wood tables real nice , good luck on what ever you get .or dirt is't everywhere , cost nothing its free . just unzip empty and refill where and when ever needed .

Last edited:
I had access to unlimited 4mm stainless bbs through work so I filled mine with that. Heavier = less recoil = better... Right? I had to go back and replace 3/4 of them with plastic toy filling because they were so heavy. There's probably something useful in there, something like 'don't be dumb like me' I suppose.

I like rice and sand in a sock. I just can't get a sock shaped like a game changer without learning how to sew...

I've used the filling from inside the U-shaped neck pillows that are super light. Have no idea what its called but its crazy light, no issues with water, packs a rear bag really tight. I made two socks that way over 10 years ago and they are still going strong.

Has anyone tried crumb rubber (the stuff they use for filler on astroturf fields )? It is supposed to weigh 32lbs/cf. It is like 80 bucks for 50lb bag on Amazon shipped.

Not sure if there are local sources for it?

Or buy once cry once and hit up @Precision Underground for the ultimate rear bag I had him design and make for me which is now a regularly stocked item with him. Best rear bag Ive ever owned, its used weekly since I received it and I own at least 15 other bags from all the big names....
Thank you sir! We’ve sold a ton of the 3d ELRs!

I can't find them anymore but they were little pieces of plastic, about the size of the beads shown above oh, maybe a little bit larger but they were shaped like the anti-tank blockers below

If anybody can find them I'd like a link... They self lock when tight and slip around each other when loose.

MHFF5J.jpg

Has anyone tried crumb rubber (the stuff they use for filler on astroturf fields )? It is supposed to weigh 32lbs/cf. It is like 80 bucks for 50lb bag on Amazon shipped.

Not sure if there are local sources for it?

Yes, I got some used from a decommissioned field. It works, but heavier than I want for field style matches.

Definitely have to look at the weight when considering bag media. I thought I found some good stuff a little while ago... 75 to 95 lb per cubic foot...

But for those that are okay with it Go research tumbling media... pyramid, wedge, cone

Kitty litter, particularly Tidy Cat! Haha

the fellow who makes Bull Bags told to use that as fill in his bags and it works and it’s cheap.

and I guess if I have the urge at the range to piss in sand and scratch around a bit, I’m set haha

Kitty litter, particularly Tidy Cat! Haha

the fellow who makes Bull Bags told to use that as fill in his bags and it works and it’s cheap.

and I guess if I have the urge at the range to piss in sand and scratch around a bit, I’m set haha
The thing with kitty litter is if it gets wet the bag is done. You want something that won’t absorb moisture unless you’re sure it will never get wet.

The thing with kitty litter is if it gets wet the bag is done. You want something that won’t absorb moisture unless you’re sure it will never get wet.
Yep, and that was my reply to him. But, on the other hand, kitty litter is fairly cheap and readily available and he was rather persistent in recommending it.

I do NOT use it in my other bags, but that's what I used in his X shaped bag. It is very stable and seems to support gripping the fore end well.

Rice and beans that way is you get stuck behind enemy lines you have something to cook.

I've done the airsoft bb's but I either liked or disliked it depending on the type of bag and use. What I have come to use in most of all the bags is some plastic pellets you can find on Amazon. Just search, plastic pellets for weighted blankets. For my barricade bags or gamechanger style bags I really like using the little pellets mixed with chipped foam. I feel its a good balance of weight and flexibility to allow the back to fit over whatever I'm shooting off of.

I've been searching the forum and while i haven't seen a consensus i have seen mentioned:
rice
beans
polyfill
plastic poly pellets
airsoft bbs
sand.

Wondering which might be preferable.

I don't think i'd like to try food.

Sand sounds like it would be pretty heavy.

Some of the commercial fills marketed specifically for this purpose are pretty expensive and while i bet they represent excellent options....the reality is that i'm never going to be a significant player in this sport.....i just want to learn a lot and have fun, so pretty good would suit me just fine.

thank you

I've got a fair amount of the poly-bead fill. PM me if you're still looking.