• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Inflation.......... ?

I think Texas road House used a very, very conservative inflation number. Didn't take much to spook investors. When the real numbers come out at the end of the year that will be spooky.

Texas Roadhouse spooks investors by talking of 7% food inflation for the year

Prices for "serious" food is now up 10% or more in comparison to 2020. After joey and rats are done screwing around, it will likely be very close to 22-25% by the middle of the next year.

• Sad
Reactions: Hobo Hilton
KFC surprised us today. Last trip two months ago, Family Bucket with 3 sides was a $20 bill. Today’s special was minus one side, and still cost $30.
Chickens gotta eat. Plants don’t grow without water, so seed is Mo money to feed dem chicklins. Worse, nobody wants to drive a Semi when they can sit on their azz and get Joe & the Hoe’s FREE MONEY!
Somebody that knows Kim Yung whatshisname, please ask him to Nuke DC and Kalifornia. If he throws in Mexico, I bet we could send him a few barges of chicklins. I know he like to eat.🥳

I went to Lowes today, and saw sub flooring 4x8 sheets for $103.00. they are usually like $30 so they are up about 8373728393.727 percent.

• Wow
Reactions: Amanda4461
But but but... It's only temporary!! Until it's not.

No one cares because the Fed printers are pouring money out like a frat boy that chugged a gallon of milk. As long as the market is hitting records daily?? No shits are given. The money changers are getting fat and the common man is getting fleeced.
This is where chode comes and says don't believe your eyes.

Everyone thinks they are the common man. I have no idea what that means anymore.
I have talked to guys making 30/hr that call themselves the little guy and swear they are getting shit on because they make too much to get the gov benefits and stay at home.
I have also interacted with people who are just now looking for a job that have spent the last two years sucking on the government tit. They also think they have been shafted because the money ran out AND because no one is hiring them at the rate of the government checks. They also think they are the common man. I take great pleasure in reminding them that they should have at least invested that time in themselves instead of video games and Patio burritos.

it seems the one thing the common men all have in common is the statement “poor me”. It’s the rare dude who sets his jaw and actually gets to work. If people became realistic about their value in the marketplace, realize that they aren’t worth what they government has been paying them, got the idea of idle wealth generation out of their heads. got off thier asses and went back to work some of the supply issues would clear up, potentially assisting with lowering prices and MAYBE the “common man” would gain some self respect.

Straight up, people need to stop being weak in this country.

Last edited:
All good comments... A challenge for those of us "trying to get things done" is dealing with people that seem to be on a mission to simplywaste our time. An old saying "Time is Money".. I see one factor of inflation is how much longer it is taking to get commodities from Point A to Point B.

I wonder if Jerome Powell (The Federal Reserve) sees this as "temporary" inflation ?

The U.S. Postal Service is moving forward with its decision to raise costs on Aug 29 in an effort to boost revenue, according to a letter from USPS Vice President of Government Relations and Public Policy Peter Pastre.

USPS first announced the increase on May 28, though lawmakers including Rep. Glenn Grotham, R-Wis., have expressed concerns with the plan.

First-class mail stamp prices will increase from 55 cents to 58 cents, and general mail products will see average price increases of about 6.8%. Costs for magazines, newspapers and catalogs will rise by 8.8%, according to a July 19 filing from the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC).

U.S. Heat Is So Bad Farmers See a ‘Half Crop’ for Spring Wheat​

(Bloomberg) -- Sun-baked U.S. spring wheat fields have been so badly hurt by drought this year that some farmers are expecting to harvest what they’re dubbing a “half a crop.”

Plants are visibly stunted. So much so that when crop scouts toured the fields of top-producing state North Dakota this week they kept having to get close to the ground to inspect crops that were about 10 inches (25 centimeters) or shorter -- about a third of the normal size for this time of year. Large patches of dry soil could be seen in between rows. In better seasons, the ground isn’t even visible.

All told, the harsh conditions will send yields for spring wheat in the state plunging to 29.1 bushels an acre this year, according to final assessment of estimates following the Wheat Quality Council’s crop tour. While that’s slightly higher than the most-recent estimate from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, it would still mean a drop of 41% from last year’s harvest.

Spring wheat is highly prized worldwide for giving foods like pizza crust and bagels their chewiness. This season’s expected shortfall hits as neighboring Canada contends with extreme heat and dryness as well, putting those crops at risk.

Yesterday, I paid $1000 for 24-sticks of a mix of 1-1/4" and 2" PVC conduit. Guy at the counter warned me their price went through the roof. I had no choice, as I need them to fill the trenches that cost me $175 per hour to dig.

Yesterday, I paid $1000 for 24-sticks of a mix of 1-1/4" and 2" PVC conduit. Guy at the counter warned me their price went through the roof. I had no choice, as I need them to fill the trenches that cost me $175 per hour to dig.
Understood. Thank you for sharing. While your news is discouraging / concerning it validates the concerns of many who are simply following this discussion. There will always be the person who chimes in and says "I can get whatever I want". That is another perspective in a complicated scenario. I see commodities, supplies, food and consumables being sprinkled across America. This is an effort to avoid another "toilet paper shortage" in other supply chains. I'm seeing the "Black Markets" of supplies developing. Unfortunate.

From JW Rawles site:

Today we are pleased to present the regular monthly precious metals column by Steven Cochran of Gainesville Coins. We are grateful for his writing efforts. Please consider Gainesville Coins whenever you want to expand your holdings of precious metals.

INFLATION FEARS
Supply chain disruptions are still the scapegoat for present inflation rates, but things don’t seem to be getting back to normal as quickly as hoped. Home prices and car prices are two of the obvious culprits for recent inflation spikes, but get ready for food shortages soon, as droughts and floods and extreme weather destroy crops. Some restaurants are beginning to take scallops and other seafood items off the menu, due to sharply higher prices.
But, looking at bond yields, the market seems to believe the Fed that this is all temporary.

COVID-related global chip shortage will make back-to-school shopping more expensive​

Families say they plan to spend an average of nearly $850 on back-to-school shopping this year, up $59 from 2020​

Haha $60 more. It was more like $200 more.

The same exact shoes I bought my boy last year were $20 more than last year.

• Sad
In the current inflation environment, where do the Hide members think the best place to put your cash is?
My top 3:
1. Debt
2. Real Estate
3. Tangible assets that are scarce and generally go up in value anyway

What are your top 3?

In the current inflation environment, where do the Hide members think the best place to put your cash is?
My top 3:
1. Debt
2. Real Estate
3. Tangible assets that are scarce and generally go up in value anyway

What are your top 3?
Debt sure as hell doesn’t rank anywhere near anything for me. Damocles sword anyone?

Last edited:
1) Health maintenance (teeth, eyes, heart, etc). Get those elective operations done now.
2) Food - Corn, wheat, oats will be in short supply... Storeables like pasta, lard (tortilla mix), flour / yeast, etc
3) Training - First aid, basic mechanics, communication (Ham operator)
4) Get straight with God.... It will come down to you and him

Reactions: Pbgt and NoDopes

Not sure I saw that here previously... sorry if it's a dupe... but China is directly responsible for buying up all the homes way above market price.
I'm sure this is part of an orchastrated effort.. they also jacked up all their import prices.. they are probably also responsible for the auto chip debacle.

What’s REALLY behind the war on home ownership?​

Reactions: NoDopes

What’s REALLY behind the war on home ownership?​

Some of us have been telling anyone who will listen, for months now, to pay attention to this, and warning that this is the beginning of the end of "ownership" for all but the elites, as the sheep joyously stampede to the new feudal era. Not just in America but other western countries are finding the same thing happen. Yet the sheep refuse to see what is right in front of their eyes.

Nobody seems to listen to us Cassandras, so the stupid young people will one day find the glitter has come off the lie and they are living as serfs and property of the Global Elites.

Some of us have been telling anyone who will listen, for months now, to pay attention to this, and warning that this is the beginning of the end of "ownership" for all but the elites, as the sheep joyously stampede to the new feudal era. Not just in America but other western countries are finding the same thing happen. Yet the sheep refuse to see what is right in front of their eyes.

Nobody seems to listen to us Cassandras, so the stupid young people will one day find the glitter has come off the lie and they are living as serfs and property of the Global Elites.
I’ve brought it up several times. I sold one house and am holding on to the other 3. I’m not selling anymore, because at this pace I won’t be able to buy again and make it worth while.

• Sad
I’m not letting go of any hard assets right now.

I can’t tell you the number of people I know who have “cashed in” on home prices and are now renting trying to find something affordable where they just sold. Pretty dumb to be honest. I wonder what they’ll do when they bow their profit on rent and then have to buy a house at higher interest rates once the fed raises them?

Same for those cashing in on used car prices.

If you have tangible assets. Keep what you can.

I'm looking to buy a second home in a State that is less taxing, and more free. Not that I really want to move from where I'm at because It's the ideal place for me. However, I am behind enemy lines so to speak as the State I reside in is turning bluer every election.

I'm sick of getting taxed (and charged fee's) to death, and sick of seeing my freedoms erode.

Need a second home as a Tax Haven.

Molson Coors is dropping 11 ‘economy’ brands including Keystone Ice and High Life Light

Major, world wide companies are starting to circle their wagons. Business media is intentionally not covering these actions. To avoid panic they are simply saying "We will be focusing on our core products". They know which side their bread is buttered on. We are seeing less selections available in the grocery stores, longer delays in the food chain, popular items disappearing from the restaurant menus. Had a fresh baked apple fritter while shopping in my local grocery store.... Tasted terrible, threw it away.... The lowering of the quality ingredients is becoming obvious. Trust your taste buds...... Unfortunate

Article in the local paper concerning shortages for the local craft breweries. Shortages (worldwide) on aluminum cans, and these small outfits are having to import blank cans from Korea, and apply labels themselves, driving up the costs per can over 200%.

• Sad
Article in the local paper concerning shortages for the local craft breweries. Shortages (worldwide) on aluminum cans, and these small outfits are having to import blank cans from Korea, and apply labels themselves, driving up the costs per can over 200%.

AluminiumCommodity​

2,615.85+25.70+0.99%
01:55:30 PM
MI Indication

Aluminum, as a commodity, is up 53% for the year.

On a similar note, a few months back, while shopping in the local grocery store, ran into the PepsiCo guy stocking shelves, asked about Mt Dew and Dr Pepper with real sugar. He said that because of the worldwide aluminum can shortage, PepsiCo is dropping quite a bit of their line in aluminum because of that. He said the less popular sellers will only be available in plastic bottles.

I'll bet Molson/Coors is dropping stuff because of the same issues?

On a similar note, a few months back, while shopping in the local grocery store, ran into the PepsiCo guy stocking shelves, asked about Mt Dew and Dr Pepper with real sugar. He said that because of the worldwide aluminum can shortage, PepsiCo is dropping quite a bit of their line in aluminum because of that. He said the less popular sellers will only be available in plastic bottles.

I'll bet Molson/Coors is dropping stuff because of the same issues?
I use aluminum round bars 12' long, from 0.625" to 12" OD in my shop, every single workday. Trust me when I tell you the price is going up. We are all increasing prices out to the final consumer. Stainless steel? Holy shit...if you can find it. 7075 DFARS compliant plate? Bend your ass over.

Some suppliers are making all quotes good at the time of quotation only for all metals. Call when you want to place the PO. I know of a couple of large shops that have huge material demands and tried to manage cash flow by going JIT without a contract. Because why not? Its always worked before. Prices went up and inventory dwindled at the same time and now they are unable to fulfill the contract - delayed at least one quarter, minimum. So now there is a scramble to find work for the guys to offset the cost of keeping them on payroll until material arrives. Almost everyone is scrambling for raw material right now, and you have to be nimble. Some suppliers are not fulfilling 100% orders, but are fulfilling a percentage of the outstanding orders based on past volume, and you never really know until it arrives.

Its tighter out there than the average consumer thinks, but it will start trickling down soon enough.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Recently bought 8 pieces, 24’, 1-1/2” hot dip galvanized sch-40, steel pipe, 1.9” O.D.
$800
The steel supplier had signs up “quotes only valid on the day provided”
They would not take my order until calling and verifying the day’s price.

As far as what to invest $$ in right now, we did an inventory of things around the house that
would be expensive to replace in the future, like appliances.

I installed our 80 gallon electric water heater in 2006, still works fine, but just in case, we bought a spare.
It is stored next to the one in service, ready to go.
The replacement Bradford-White 50 gallon was $687 when I bought it February this year.
Today the same unit is $859!

I use aluminum round bars 12' long, from 0.625" to 12" OD in my shop, every single workday. Trust me when I tell you the price is going up. We are all increasing prices out to the final consumer. Stainless steel? Holy shit...if you can find it. 7075 DFARS compliant plate? Bend your ass over.

Some suppliers are making all quotes good at the time of quotation only for all metals. Call when you want to place the PO. I know of a couple of large shops that have huge material demands and tried to manage cash flow by going JIT without a contract. Because why not? Its always worked before. Prices went up and inventory dwindled at the same time and now they are unable to fulfill the contract - delayed at least one quarter, minimum. So now there is a scramble to find work for the guys to offset the cost of keeping them on payroll until material arrives. Almost everyone is scrambling for raw material right now, and you have to be nimble. Some suppliers are not fulfilling 100% orders, but are fulfilling a percentage of the outstanding orders based on past volume, and you never really know until it arrives.

Its tighter out there than the average consumer thinks, but it will start trickling down soon enough.

That is part of the reason I keep this topic going. Even if we have a few lurkers reading this, it gives them a heads up to what is coming down the pipe. The food supply chain is also moving in the same direction...

frankxtc ...... I'm casting a critical eye at my current hot water heater.... Debating gas or electric......

I feel most all of those here have weapons and ammo.... I'm hopeful they have enough food supply to balance the time frame of the ammo.

Spinoff's continue:

PepsiCo to sell Tropicana, Naked for $3.3 bln​

PepsiCo unveiled a $3.3 billion sale of its Tropicana and other juice brands in North America to French private equity firm PAI Partners on Tuesday, as it looks to simplify its product range and move away from high-sugar drinks.

This is the complete list we did for our plan: "do we need to buy it now before the price goes up, or availability stops"

Well pump = 2018
85 gallon well water pump pressure tank = 2002 bought Flexcon 85 spare jan 2021
80 gallon water heater = 2006 bought spare Bradford-White RE380T6 Feb 2021
washer = 2014 new maytag feb 2021
dryer = 2016
dish washer = 2006, replaced March 2021
range = 2004
refrigerator = 2020
wall air conditioner = 2019
heat pump = 2017
generator = 2010
air compressor = 1987

That is part of the reason I keep this topic going. Even if we have a few lurkers reading this, it gives them a heads up to what is coming down the pipe. The food supply chain is also moving in the same direction...

frankxtc ...... I'm casting a critical eye at my current hot water heater.... Debating gas or electric......

I feel most all of those here have weapons and ammo.... I'm hopeful they have enough food supply to balance the time frame of the ammo.
I have food and ammo, but there are chinks in the armor we all have that aren't off the grid. Part of the compact we make to live in normal society I suppose, but unless you have a small parts warehouse for car parts, refrigerator, water heater, spare plumbing parts, then I feel like most of us are going to be one broken part away from problems.

• Sad
A lady I know ordered one of the two car, prefab metal carports back in April. The one where a crew rolls up with the prefab and has it erected in 3 - 4 hours. At that time they would only allow her to put $150 down as a deposit. Supposed to be delivered in June. Same old bull shit... Personnel changes, poor communication with the factory, push back on the delivery date. She had fill brought in and had the site prepped. Finally she was able to speak with the guy who took her order. Seems the carport was cancelled by the factory back in May. She was offered the option to reorder it but the price was $1,000 (33% increase) more than her original order. They will refund her down payment. She checked around with other vendors and was told they would have no installation crews working in Montana due to labor shortages..... A total waste of time... Time is $$$

I have food and ammo, but there are chinks in the armor we all have that aren't off the grid. Part of the compact we make to live in normal society I suppose, but unless you have a small parts warehouse for car parts, refrigerator, water heater, spare plumbing parts, then I feel like most of us are going to be one broken part away from problems.
I am in agreement with you. Difficult to find used camping gear because many are buying it up should they be forced to do some camp cooking in the back yard. Few can visualize having a cast iron griddle over a camp fire in order to have a hot meal.

I am in agreement with you. Difficult to find used camping gear because many are buying it up should they be forced to do some camp cooking in the back yard. Few can visualize having a cast iron griddle over a camp fire in order to have a hot meal.
My wife's favorite cooking channel is Kent Rollins, the cowboy cook, and he's in-state. Whenever the wife asks for gear, we make it happen. The food side and the ability to prepare it just about anywhere is a strong point. We are currently looking for land a year or 4 late a few miles out into the countryside. I grew up in the country, so getting back won't be a huge issue, but the upheaval if we have to shift gears to that is going to be something. It will make my USMC short-lived career seem like a prep course for the future I would guess.

Meat is starting to get pretty goofy on prices. Butchers/local processors in Oklahoma are so far behind that doing it yourself is starting to look more and more realistic and unavoidable. A pig in the freezer would go far. Car lots are looking strange with the outside road facing row filled, but 75% of the lot bone dry. A few holes in the supply chain here and there at the grocery store, but nothing serious just yet. Gas still in the low 3s for unleaded without alcohol.

My wife's favorite cooking channel is Kent Rollins, the cowboy cook, and he's in-state. Whenever the wife asks for gear, we make it happen. The food side and the ability to prepare it just about anywhere is a strong point. We are currently looking for land a year or 4 late a few miles out into the countryside. I grew up in the country, so getting back won't be a huge issue, but the upheaval if we have to shift gears to that is going to be something. It will make my USMC short-lived career seem like a prep course for the future I would guess.

Meat is starting to get pretty goofy on prices. Butchers/local processors in Oklahoma are so far behind that doing it yourself is starting to look more and more realistic and unavoidable. A pig in the freezer would go far. Car lots are looking strange with the outside road facing row filled, but 75% of the lot bone dry. A few holes in the supply chain here and there at the grocery store, but nothing serious just yet. Gas still in the low 3s for unleaded without alcohol.
I tried to schedule a steer at my local butcher. What is usually 3 months out is now a year.

• Sad

I'm with you......

My favorite outdoor cook =https://www.ceedubs.com/

The "Meat Situation" is somewhat regional.

The future is unknown. No one giving survival training has a crystal ball.

I'm looking at the broke down cars lined up at every shade tree mechanics shop. Many only need one part to get back on the road. (as mentioned above)

I have two freezers... Every time I look at them I question what I would do in case f a power outage. I am now canning more things.

It's being pointed out more on the Logistics Websites that a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link... Food for thought.

I have friends with all sorts of alternate power sources. Each one has it's drawbacks. Best know how to keep your system going without a service call.

Keep your powder dry

Reactions: devildog93
The consolidation trend continues:

MUNICH (Reuters) – Airbus has warned employees of hundreds of possible job losses at its small-parts manufacturing business in Germany if the unit is not hived off in line with a cost-cutting strategy set out in April, a source familiar with the plan told Reuters.

U.S. wholesale prices rose sharply in July for the sixth month in a row and offered little evidence that a big wave of inflation is on the verge of cresting

U.S. wholesale prices rose sharply in July for the sixth month in a row and offered little evidence that a big wave of inflation is on the verge of cresting

I haven't yet spent a lot of time going back to data from Q2/Q3 of 2008, but my memory is that prices didn't roll over in any sort of predictable fashion; things were hotter and hotter until all of a sudden they weren't. The point being is that I don't see this looking cylical in nature, but more like a cliff.

EDIT: Copper went form $3.89 on 1Jun08 to $1.39 on 30Nov2008. WTI Crude went from $145.16 on 14Jul08 to $30.38 on 23Dec08 (Note as well the mini-crash and recovery in September of that year which provided an awesome head-fake.)

EDIT: Copper went form $3.89 on 1Jun08 to $1.39 on 30Nov2008. WTI Crude went from $145.16 on 14Jul08 to $30.38 on 23Dec08 (Note as well the mini-crash and recovery in September of that year which provided an awesome head-fake.)
That head fake is known as a dead-cat bounce.

I’m trying to consider the positive aspect of more inflation on my budget.
Should I use this new wealth windfall to order one or two Barrett M107A1’s?

Depends on the lead time.......... What does your crystal ball look like ? How is your sustainable food garden looking? ;)

That head fake is known as a dead-cat bounce.

Might have looked dead-cat-ish at the time, but it was a long ways from the actual bottom. Probably need to look at the prices in Q1 or Q2 2009 for the actual dead-cat bounce.

This material will be on the next quiz, which maybe comes early next year.

• Sad
Might have looked dead-cat-ish at the time, but it was a long ways from the actual bottom. Probably need to look at the prices in Q1 or Q2 2009 for the actual dead-cat bounce.

This material will be on the next quiz, which maybe comes early next year.
I remember those days. It’s felt more like a dead cat falling down a staircase. Few seem to remember that carpet rash of a year.

I remember those days. It’s felt more like a dead cat falling down a staircase. Few seem to remember that carpet rash of a year.

Holy crap, that's a hell of an accurate metaphor.

I wish more people had better memories of that period, because it would potentially make for better decisions in the upcoming months and perhaps a softer landing. Instead, we'll get a bunch of unnecessarily repeated mistakes, in addition to the stuff that was genuinely unexpected.

• Sad