• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ingenuity Precision trickler

So I watched the videos - this product puts the last grain or so into the cup?

Yes ...except it doesn't do it by vibrating a tube (like every other powder dropper on the planet), it does it by capturing single kernels/flakes of powder one at a time in a slotted disc and then finishing the charge to within .02gn, in seconds, with next to no overthrows (vibrating tube tricklers, even Gucci ones, overthrow charges "all the time" by comparison).

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Yes ...except it doesn't do it by vibrating a tube (like every other powder dropper on the planet), it does it by capturing single kernels/flakes of powder one at a time in a slotted disc and then finishing the charge to within .02gn, in seconds, with next to no overthrows (vibrating tube tricklers, even Gucci ones, overthrow charges "all the time" by comparison).
Thanks for the more basic explanation. That helps me understand what the device does that is such an improvement.

Promethius had that style trickler first. I’m surprised they are not getting in trouble for copying it.

I need a cover that will cover the Ingenuity and my scale together, anyone have something they wanna share? Thanks.

I need a cover that will cover the Ingenuity and my scale together, anyone have something they wanna share? Thanks.
I use the Area419 cover just fine. You can also have Stan (radio cover maker) make any sized cover you want (he is the one who makes covers for Area419, Henderson Precision, etc.)

Reactions: ICU22250
This thing is the shit.

I just ran 20 308 loads through this with Varget. Of those:

- 2 were .02gr low (1 kernal)
- 3 were .02 gr over
- 15 were right on

This blows away what the stock trickler was giving me.

Interestingly, I see a much higher low rate on my 6 BRA with H4895. I didn't count, but I'm guessing 40ish percent were .02gr low.

Reactions: Schütze and CK1.0

- 3 were .02 gr over
- 15 were right on

Interestingly, I see a much higher low rate on my 6 BRA with H4895. I didn't count, but I'm guessing 40ish percent were .02gr low.

I have mine set to .98/ .00 to where it almost never overthrows (maybe twice per 100 and if it does it's only +.02), I could probably run it faster but have no need to.

I made that video before I had even tuned it in a little... I ripped through 100rds in ~20mins (NPR) and that batch is as perfect charge-wise as can be. I was loading 33gn of Shooter's World Precision Rifle (Lovex Varget) and every fucking one is 32.98 or 33.00 (most 33.00) without even really trying. I dig it.

Reactions: Schütze
I have mine set to .98/ .00 to where it almost never overthrows (maybe twice per 100 and if it does it's only +.02), I could probably run it faster but have no need to.

I made that video before I had even tuned it in a little... I ripped through 100rds in ~20mins (NPR) and that batch is as perfect charge-wise as can be. I was loading 33gn of Shooter's World Precision Rifle (Lovex Varget) and every fucking one is 32.98 or 33.00 (most 33.00) without even really trying. I dig it.
I loaded 165 rounds 6gt yesterday running 35.3gr H4350, I accept everything ranging 35.28-35.34 with a desired throw of 35.31, I threw and seated all rounds in about 40 mins. This is in combo with a V3. I do really like this thing.

Reactions: Schütze and CK1.0
I'm just digging that it does exactly what I need it to, nothing more, nothing less, no drama, nearly no setup, with very little to break or go wrong.

No ladder mode, no extra BS, the same monkey that pulls the trigger can handle the bulk charge, I just need the IP trickler to handle the hard part: trickling to within a kernel every time, fast as hell, without fucking up.

Last edited:
Not that this really matters but I noticed yesterday if you trickle varget and set your target to an uneven number, the charge stays in a .02 window.
Just for the ocd guy’s …. 😆

Reactions: ma smith and CK1.0
This is def. minimalist chic ... (y)

One of the best parts is loading/off-loading powder, it’s minimalist amazing:

Pour powder in old-school powder measure, drop a few bulk charges into the cup to pour into the IP hopper and you’re ready to go.

When finished, pour IP hopper into powder jug, pour powder measure into the jug (or just run it dry into jug), done.

One of the best parts is loading/off-loading powder, it’s minimalist amazing:

Pour powder in old-school powder measure, drop a few bulk charges into the cup to pour into the IP hopper and you’re ready to go.

When finished, pour IP hopper into powder jug, pour powder measure into the jug (or just run it dry into jug), done.
If you switch between a electronic powder measure like the V3 I use and a manual one, do you just have to disconnect the cable to the v3?

Yep, that’s it, just disconnect the auto dropper from port 2.
Thanks, that’s great news! Save’s me a lot hassle if I like to do a batch with Staball for example. Don’t have to empty the auto dropper because this thing is a pain to get really empty.

Reactions: CK1.0

- 3 were .02 gr over
- 15 were right on

Add .01 in the app and it won't throw under.

Since there are people watching this thread that know a heck of a lot more about tuning this thing than I do, looking for some insight into a problem I'm having that's unrelated to the ingenuity trickler:

Occasionally, the trickler controller gets into a state where it stays in fast trickle mode just a little too long and will consistently overthrow by a decent amount. It just doesn't slow down in time. The trickler will be working perfectly well, then suddenly "decide" it's time to change.

I'm assuming there is some way to set how far out it goes into slow mode, but I don't know what that is.

Can anyone shed some light?

Pay close attention to what the trickler is actually doing, because usually when it gets stuck running the motor in high speed (or was going slow then decides to speed back up) it's because the notched wheel is bound up on a kernel and the belt is slipping, then it overcharges when the wheel gets unstuck and starts dumping powder with the motor still running at high speed.

You need to clean the hell out of the notched wheel with an aggressive solvent like brake cleaner or acetone and a toothbrush to avoid sticking kernels that can stop the wheel and slip the belt.

A thorough cleaning of the notched wheel and cup fixed all of my issues.

Another thing that can cause a speed change during the final trickling is drafts influencing the scale reading.

Last edited:
Pay close attention to what the trickler is actually doing, because usually when it gets stuck running the motor in high speed (or was going slow then decides to speed back up) it's because the notched wheel is bound up on a kernel and the belt is slipping, then it overcharges when the wheel gets unstuck and starts dumping powder with the motor still running at high speed.

You need to clean the hell out of the notched wheel with an aggressive solvent like brake cleaner or acetone and a toothbrush to avoid sticking kernels that can stop the wheel and slip the belt.

A thorough cleaning of the notched wheel and cup fixed all of my issues.

I actually ran into this before I set up the Ingenuity trickler, and it just reared its head for the first time using the Ingenuity. That's why I was saying it was not specific to the Ingenuity. Usually unplugging and restarting everything cleans it up - OR - it just falls back in line after I yell at it :)

Another thing that can cause issues... If you have any non conductive plastic bits around the scale pan, they can mess with the scale response if the parts get a static electricity charge on them. Any non conductive plastic parts near the pan should be occasionally wiped down with something like anti static endust. Static charges were a huge problem on the all plastic rcbs charge master; static buildup in the draft cover would influence the plastic scale pan. The A&D 120i having a metal scale pan cover and a metallic plated pan base under that isn't nearly as susceptible to static related issues, but if you're running plastic draft shields and your measuring cup is plastic or has a plastic handle you can run in to issues.

I had an unexpected day off so I decided to plow through a bunch of rounds today, an inadvertent sort of "burn down".

I love it. My old-school/new-school setup is bonehead-proof and amazing for my needs. I'd didn't get powder anywhere I didn't want, easily swapped over from stick to ball powder, no drama.

I did 500 today, and with the 100 I did last night, that's pretty much 600 straight through and the fucker didn't miss a beat and every round is to the kernel, either XX.98 or on the nose. Over that 600, it overthrew 5-6 times by only +.02gn (which would have been perfectly acceptable in my pre-IP life). 300 SW Precision Rifle (extruded stick like Varget/H4350), 300 Sta-Ball 6.5 (ball powder, like CFE).

Every now and again it can get caught up on a kernel or two of the stick stuff, and with a helping little twist from the monkey, it's right back at it. The ball stuff is a breeze. I wiped the disk down with IPA when switching to the ball powder disk and think that'll probably be my SOP every cycle anyhow.

I've never loaded so many in one stretch with so little pain. The analog nature of just adjusting the slider and forgetting about it, instead of fucking around endlessly with a set of parameters, is beautiful.

\m/

tempImagek07ayL.png

41gn Sta-Ball:

Last edited:
This thing is the shit.

Ok, so, first, thanks for posting that video. This opened my eyes.

So I see the Ingenuity Precision trickler. I know what scale that is. What is that big yellow thing from which you are dropping powder before using the Ingenuity Precision trickler to get the final measure?

I am trying to see what it would cost to make that set up. Big yellow thing, cup, scale, trickler, and some funnels, oh, and trays, I guess that is it?

the IP, and then ~$100 in parts:

AT V3 electronics
1 AT motor
AT V3 motor cable
AT V3 power adapter
AT App
Glass Cup
Sorry, but one more question, so when you order the IP trickler, it does not come with the motor or cable or power adapter? That must come as a nasty surprise to at least some of the customers ordering it.

Sorry, but one more question, so when you order the IP trickler, it does not come with the motor or cable or power adapter? That must come as a nasty surprise to at least some of the customers ordering it.

So thanks for correcting me, yes it’s @-Obsessed- … his panel set keeps the scale clean and makes it so it’s easy to put the cup in the same spot every time (plus it looks nice).

As far as IP not including the motor/cable/PSU… most of the guys buying an IP already have an AutoTrickler so they already have those parts on hand to reuse/repurpose. I’m one of the relatively few using the IP along with dropping the bulk charge manually, and to do it I had to grab those items “a la carte”.

Last edited:

Lol what? You have to have an autotrickler in order to use the IP so why is it a surprise those are not included since you should already have them in your possession to use the IP?

Lol what? You have to have an autotrickler in order to use the IP so why is it a surprise those are not included since you should already have them in your possession to use the IP?

Nope.

I’ve never had an AT and didn’t want one since loading/off-loading powder in and out of one looks like more of a PITA than it’s worth (same thing with the SuperTrickler).

I figured since I’d be standing/sitting there the whole time anyway, it’d be easier for me to throw the bulk charge manually myself… and so far I don’t regret my decision whatsoever.

It’s as fast or faster to throw the bulk charge manually versus using the AT, just a whole lot simpler to live with IMO.

Nope.

I’ve never had an AT and didn’t want one since loading/off-loading powder in and out of one looks like more of a PITA than it’s worth.

I figured since I’d be standing/sitting there the whole time anyway, it’d be easier for me to throw the bulk charge manually myself… and so far I don’t regret my decision whatsoever.

It’s as fast or faster to throw the bulk charge manually, and a whole lot simpler to live with.

So how are running the trickler without a motor ? Spinning it by hand lol?

There’s a motor. Go back to post #257 and so forth and check out the videos I had posted… the IP just handles the hard part.

That's cute n all throwing by hand but I load my match ammo in bulk on a progressive usually 200-400 min at a time... I don't have the time or patience to mess with that throwing by hand noise... But you do you boo

My point earlier was you still needed a cabel and motor from the at so it's not a surprise it's not coming with the IP.

I load in bulk too mostly, but I just think the AT is more annoying than anything else, so I decided I’d actually rather not even bothering with it.

So how are running the trickler without a motor ? Spinning it by hand lol?
He has two videos posted above.

That's cute n all throwing by hand but I load my match ammo in bulk on a progressive usually 200-400 min at a time... I don't have the time or patience to mess with that throwing by hand noise... But you do you boo

My point earlier was you still needed a cabel and motor from the at so it's not a surprise it's not coming with the IP.
100% surprise to me.

I don't know even now where the motor and cable and power adapter go in the setup to which you refer - but, I mean, I take your word for it.

Not all of us are coming from an upgrade to another system.

CK1.0's video just made this extra simple for me.

CK1.0, thank you for answering all of my questions.

Reactions: ma smith
I believe IP is soon coming out with their own set up to handle the throw and some other things so there will be no need for any AT parts and its supposed to be awesome.

It's going to be sick after talking with Paul.

He has two videos posted above.

100% surprise to me.

I don't know even now where the motor and cable and power adapter go in the setup to which you refer - but, I mean, I take your word for it.

Not all of us are coming from an upgrade to another system.

CK1.0's video just made this extra simple for me.

CK1.0, thank you for answering all of my questions.

The whole point of the IP was to upgrade the auto trickler. Paul didn't design it as a standalone system initially that I am aware of. However, he has a new all in one standalone system coming out soon.

Although you could use it like CK is, that was not the initial reason for it's existence. Glad it was helpful for you

Reactions: Malum Prohibitum
Hard to know until it is out. I hope everybody is right in their expectations.
Well, the IP trickler is absolutely fantastic and since I've talked to Paul on several occasions over the last few years, and as a result at least know his basic personality, I believe he won't put it out unless it's awesome.

The whole point of the IP was to upgrade the auto trickler. Paul didn't design it as a standalone system initially that I am aware of. However, he has a new all in one standalone system coming out soon.

Although you could use it like CK is, that was not the initial reason for it's existence. Glad it was helpful for you
Do you have any idea if this will also use the FX120 scale?

Nope.

I’ve never had an AT and didn’t want one since loading/off-loading powder in and out of one looks like more of a PITA than it’s worth (same thing with the SuperTrickler).

It’s as fast or faster to throw the bulk charge manually versus using the AT, just a whole lot simpler to live with IMO.

The ATv3 is a thrower just like any other. Your setup is not any easier to switch powders than a whole V3. The V2 was literally a Lee thrower. All you've done is eliminate the ability to do another task, like seating, while powder is dispensed.

Do you have any idea if this will also use the FX120 scale?

It will from my conversation with Paul a few weeks ago....he said he was also making compatibility with the Creedmoor Sports reloading scale as well.. cheaper, purpose built for reloading in grains not conversion from grams to grains....and supposedly very accurate/reliable

Reactions: jzerfoss
The ATv3 is a thrower just like any other. Your setup is not any easier to switch powders than a whole V3. The V2 was literally a Lee thrower. All you've done is eliminate the ability to do another task, like seating, while powder is dispensed.

I have to disagree about the ATs being just as easy to load/off-load/switch powders (well, with the V3/V4s at least, never used a V2).

I haven't eliminated the ability to seat bullets at the same time, I just choose not to... my setup is so fast that I can't keep up with it while trying to do that (tried). I'm averaging ~6 seconds a charge with no overthrows, so I'd rather just knock out powder, then seat bullets after.

Honestly, no BS, doing it the way I'm doing it is faster than with an AT V3/V4 for me... in fact, I could probably demoralize them speed-wise worse if I had 2 cups that weighed the same, which sooner or later I'll have (even though I don't really need it to go any faster, something I thought I'd never say lol).

I hope no one thinks I'm dropping the bulk charges to save money by not getting an AT or something like that... nope, no way, that couldn't be further from the truth. It's just that the way I see it, the AT is unnecessary and would just get in my way.

I know that not everyone will feel the same about it. And if someone is already running an AT V3 + IP setup it’s not like I’m daring them to unplug the AT and give it a try… but depending on the level of one’s clumsiness, speed-wise it’s the same or faster.

Personally, the only way I could see getting any real benefit from having an AT provide the bulk throw is if I had 2 identical complete setups like @NiteQwill has, otherwise I’m totally fine with being the monkey doing the easy part.

Last edited:
I have the V3 thrower with the IP and it's a great setup, love it.. I could also do it like CK1.0 does but I already have the V3 thrower so why not..

I have to disagree about the ATs being just as easy to load/off-load/switch powders (well, with the V3/V4s at least, never used a V2).

I haven't eliminated the ability to seat bullets at the same time, I just choose not to... my setup is so fast that I can't keep up with it while trying to do that (tried). I'm averaging ~6 seconds a charge with no overthrows, so I'd rather just knock out powder, then seat bullets after.

Honestly, no BS, doing it the way I'm doing it is faster than with an AT V3/V4 for me... in fact, I could probably demoralize them speed-wise worse if I had 2 cups that weighed the same, which sooner or later I'll have (even though I don't really need it to go any faster, something I thought I'd never say lol).

I hope no one thinks I'm dropping the bulk charges to save money by not getting an AT or something like that... nope, no way, that couldn't be further from the truth. It's just that the way I see it, the AT is unnecessary and would just get in my way.

I know that not everyone will feel the same about it. And if someone is already running an AT V3 + IP setup it’s not like I’m daring them to unplug the AT and give it a try… but depending on the level of one’s clumsiness, speed-wise it’s the same or faster.

Personally, the only way I could see getting any real benefit from having an AT provide the bulk throw is if I had 2 identical complete setups like @NiteQwill has, otherwise I’m totally fine with being the monkey doing the easy part.

BTDT.

Attachments

• 20230623_080519.jpg
    20230623_080519.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 77
I believe IP is soon coming out with their own set up to handle the throw and some other things so there will be no need for any AT parts and its supposed to be awesome.

It will from my conversation with Paul a few weeks ago....he said he was also making compatibility with the Creedmoor Sports reloading scale as well.. cheaper, purpose built for reloading in grains not conversion from grams to grains....and supposedly very accurate/reliable
Anybody have any more recent updates?

Reactions: ma smith
Anybody have any more recent updates?

I just talked to Paul. He said things are coming along nicely, just tweaking the electronics still.

He said he's still a little far out to being giving pricing out yet but hoping for early fall release..

Here a sneak peak of the all in one setup running..

I just talked to Paul. He said things are coming along nicely, just tweaking the electronics still.

He said he's still a little far out to being giving pricing out yet but hoping for early fall release..

Here a sneak peak of the all in one setup running..

Talk about a flex on the scale. 😆 That thing is even more expensive!

Almost sounds like a solenoid running a gate on the bulk drop and letting gravity do the work for the bulk charge...

I'm guessing he didn't show the back of the bulk dropper in this early video on purpose.

I like what I'm seeing though...