• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ingenuity Precision trickler

The delays are with things such as "after we had this material in the sun for a few months, we realized it turns yellow". "Now we have to source a new material because we don't want anything painted but it also can't be anything that static will effect or must allow for this special coating to eliminate static".

There's many many different things like this, and that's just one example, but the main reason for delays is Paul's high standards on everything and his experience and knowledge of potential issues. Avoiding potential issues and finding materials that fit the bill, that can be had in a reasonable time, that can be manufactured correctly, ect.. all takes time, and when something pops up, it's really tough and time consuming to deal with. Now days it's infinitely more difficult to deal with anything manufactured.
Personally, I'd be very happy with just the bulk dropper/trickler system using the standard scale shield (or printing my own) for now. If the delays are related to the newest iteration of the shield, I'd wish he'd allow us to buy the rest of the system sans the shield. I'll print my own cup too if needed.

I'm fine with the delays too because I expected them, and I'm really excited about this machine

I'm sad that I offloaded my superspiller 2 months ago, to get ahead of the expected used market glut of Superspillers, and now I'm handtrickling for a good while longer, or I have to buy another used Superspiller or a chargemaster or something to tide me over
I did something similar although I never took delivery of it. I preordered the ST before the IP System was announced. Once I found out about it I figured it was a better choice and decided I’d order it instead. The very next day I got an email saying my ST was ready to ship. I politely declined it and decided to hold out for the IP.

Reactions: secondofangle2
Personally, I'd be very happy with just the bulk dropper/trickler system using the standard scale shield (or printing my own) for now. If the delays are related to the newest iteration of the shield, I'd wish he'd allow us to buy the rest of the system sans the shield. I'll print my own cup too if needed.
I'm not sure if he even could really do it that way. I really don't know but I do know that there's some other things that make the system kind of intertwined with other parts of it vs just being a "dropper plus trickler" type of thing. There's a lot of innovation in this thing. I don't know of any one thing that's causing a delay or anything either I was just giving an example of some of the types of stuff he's dealing with on it.

I think it will be out in a few more months and I know it will be worth the wait.

Me too. I preordered the Powder Meter quite some time ago. I'd be happy with it and a manual thrower while I wait for the dropper to release. I haven't heard a thing and I'm long past the estimated ship time. I wonder if he's piling them up so he can sell them with the complete system.
Has it been over the 45 days listed on the ordering page?

I haven't been following. Is it that good?
Seems so.

$0 down for a "no obligation preorder". Delays were to be expected as there is no skin in the game.

Curious what delays there are for just the Powder Meter, ie not the "new system", which has a $100 downpayment and a 3% penalty for any cancelations.

Has it been over the 45 days listed on the ordering page?
It has been for me. Last update I received when I sent an email is he's running behind with all the orders and the powder meter should be ready by the end of this month. I'm thinking end of this month is not likely.

Edit - Today is day 81 since I placed my order.

It has been for me. Last update I received when I sent an email is he's running behind with all the orders and the powder meter should be ready by the end of this month. I'm thinking end of this month is not likely.

about the same for me

seems like if the trickler part is 81+ days out, it will be at least that long for the whole system, which would be mid-April

what all is required for the IP powder meter to run with a manual thrower? is there a link to the full setup?

about the same for me
Time will tell. An update is needed as money exchanged hands.

seems like if the trickler part is 81+ days out, it will be at least that long for the whole system, which would be mid-April
The "Its Finally Here" video from Dec 9 didn't age well.

• Haha
what all is required for the IP powder meter to run with a manual thrower? is there a link to the full setup?
I listed all the parts required in a previous post. Don’t know what the post number was.

PXL_20240121_214123869.jpg

Nema 17 - 42SHD0002-24B1
42x42x34mm
1.8 degree
0.5A Current/Phase
D-Shaft, 20mm length

An alternative stepper would be 17HS13-0404S1, which is 42x42x34, 26Ncm, 0.4A, 12v, 1.8 degree

Last edited:
Reactions: mynamejeff
The Autotrickler one you get from their site. But all I used was the plastic handle and found a Stainless Steel shot glass I had that fit. A bunch of people here have done that too. My shotglass is a Wild Turkey one.

Got the same email. I thought that it was a shipping notification.

Yeah, I enjoyed opening mine. Particularly when I was told 6 weeks ago that mine would ship in January. Don't put much faith in February.

I dunno, maybe he should update his website and remove the "45 days" statement. And/or, stop collecting $100.00 down payments when the delivery is going to be going on six months. Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I enjoyed opening mine. Particularly when I was told 6 weeks ago that mine would ship in January. Don't put much faith in February.

I dunno, maybe he should update his website and remove the "45 days" statement. And/or, stop collecting $100.00 down payments when the delivery is going to be going on six months. Just a thought. :rolleyes:
Hoping to not get the "Liberty Optics" experience.

Hoping to not get the "Liberty Optics" experience.
I'm not too worried about that. But, not an invalid point.

I think he's just stretched very thin. But, he should stop representing things that just aren't so. Meaning, ship times. I've worked with vendors like that before. Yeah, kind of a PITA, but when someone comes up with a better mousetrap and the world does indeed beat a path to their door (and breaks it down), it can be tough. I get it, but just be upfront with people.

Maybe he shouldn’t have did a pre order for a full kit with no money down. I can only imagine how many people pre ordered that’s not gonna pay for it.

Maybe he shouldn’t have did a pre order for a full kit with no money down. I can only imagine how many people pre ordered that’s not gonna pay for it.

It's actually a good thing when somewhere takes pre-orders with no money down. It means they aren't in need of the presale funds to make the project happen. They aren't taking the down payments to use for paying or offsetting the costs for materials. That's how you end up with real delays that take forever. Cash flow problems and you have to beg Peter to pay Paul to get parts in which delays things significantly.

It also means they are likely building a static amount for the first run and they expect them to sell out no matter what. So it doesn't matter how many don't pay up. You send the email with the link to pay that expires after X amount of days. Then the next person gets an email. Pretty simple.

Curious as to where you get the standalone motor.
I ordered a motor on the IP website at the same time I ordered the Trickler the first week of October (2023).

Now, whether it ships with the Trickler, or, if it being out of stock and holds up the shipment of the Trickler is another matter. We'll see.

I'm staying committed to my order at this point. As this wears on over time, I'm getting more and more pissed. But, at the end of the day, I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.

It's starting to look like it's going to be at least 6 months (minimum) before I see my order for a simple Trickler, Motor and Cable.

At this point, I'm thinking 6 months is optimistic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocketmandb
thank you!

Thank you. Pretty wild the $17 motor isn't included with the $360 trickler...

Then it would end up being an over $400 trickler. If a motor was included, then he'd have to purchase significantly more. Which means spending more money. And spending more money obviously means you're tying up funds...which if you're doing it properly, means a bit higher mark up.

It's almost never as simple as the $17 motor making it a $377 tricker. It'll likely be a $400 trickler.

And then you're also at the mercy of the motor supply. If you include one with every order and suddenly you can't get them, you can't sell anything.

Reactions: Threadcutter308
Then it would end up being an over $400 trickler. If a motor was included, then he'd have to purchase significantly more. Which means spending more money. And spending more money obviously means you're tying up funds...which if you're doing it properly, means a bit higher mark up.

It's almost never as simple as the $17 motor making it a $377 tricker. It'll likely be a $400 trickler.

And then you're also at the mercy of the motor supply. If you include one with every order and suddenly you can't get them, you can't sell anything.
Oh......you can "sell" all you want. "Shipping" is another matter altogether...........

And......One way or the other, new customers will need a motor. Whether they scavenge it off of the used Autotrickler, or buy a new one. If the supply of motors dries up, so does the ability of customers to put their new IP Trickler into service, to some significant degree.

If it were my decision to make (which obviously, it's not), I'd be laying in inventory of as many motors as I could. Particularly at $17.00 (Sell price) a piece. I wouldn't want to have to deal with pissed off customers that had taken delivery of their new ($375.00) IP Trickler, but couldn't use it because they couldn't get a new ($17.00) motor for it. And yes, there are going to be sales of used Autotricklers where the sellers include the (used Autotrickler) motor. Meaning, the motors start becoming "Hen's Teeth", particularly for the new IP purchases.

the stepper motors are not hard to get. Reason the IP powder meter doesn’t come with a stepper motor is because Paul felt it would not be right to charge people for a motor you don’t need when you can take the motor from the V2 or V3 trickler and swap it in. If people want to buy a motor they don’t need Paul is okay with charging a mark up on them to include in the order. But at least the customer has the option.

the stepper motors are not hard to get. Reason the IP powder meter doesn’t come with a stepper motor is because Paul felt it would not be right to charge people for a motor you don’t need when you can take the motor from the V2 or V3 trickler and swap it in. If people want to buy a motor they don’t need Paul is okay with charging a mark up on them to include in the order. But at least the customer has the option.
Yes, providing/having the option is the right thing to do.

At $17.00, it's a no brainer to buy, even if you already have one.

Oh......you can "sell" all you want. "Shipping" is another matter altogether...........

And......One way or the other, new customers will need a motor. Whether they scavenge it off of the used Autotrickler, or buy a new one. If the supply of motors dries up, so does the ability of customers to put their new IP Trickler into service, to some significant degree.

If it were my decision to make (which obviously, it's not), I'd be laying in inventory of as many motors as I could. Particularly at $17.00 (Sell price) a piece. I wouldn't want to have to deal with pissed off customers that had taken delivery of their new ($375.00) IP Trickler, but couldn't use it because they couldn't get a new ($17.00) motor for it. And yes, there are going to be sales of used Autotricklers where the sellers include the (used Autotrickler) motor. Meaning, the motors start becoming "Hen's Teeth", particularly for the new IP purchases.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240127_195535_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240127_195535_Chrome.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 42
If the supply of motors dries up, so does the ability of customers to put their new IP Trickler into service, to some significant degree.

Are you familiar with NEMA 17 motors? They sell MILLIONS of NEMA 17 style motors a year. They are so ubiquitous that I think its a great design choice to use them. Both the IP trickler, and the Autotrickler uses them.

A motor failure is something to be concerned with in any system. If the system happened to use a very specific motor, or you didnt know the specs; then you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to provide replacements. With a NEMA 17 all you have to do is go online and search for NEMA 17 stepper and they are everywhere. They are easily found for $10-$20.

The new system will also be using a NEMA 14 motor for the bulk drop. While not as popular as a 17, still a very standard and very easy to get part.

Of all the things to worry about in regards to the ability to produce/ship/repair the IP system; the use of Nema 17/14 motors is very very low on the list.

Are you familiar with NEMA 17 motors? They sell MILLIONS of NEMA 17 style motors a year. They are so ubiquitous that I think its a great design choice to use them. Both the IP trickler, and the Autotrickler uses them.

A motor failure is something to be concerned with in any system. If the system happened to use a very specific motor, or you didnt know the specs; then you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to provide replacements. With a NEMA 17 all you have to do is go online and search for NEMA 17 stepper and they are everywhere. They are easily found for $10-$20.

The new system will also be using a NEMA 14 motor for the bulk drop. While not as popular as a 17, still a very standard and very easy to get part.

Of all the things to worry about in regards to the ability to produce/ship/repair the IP system; the use of Nema 17/14 motors is very very low on the list.
Really ?

You might want to read this;

"Are all NEMA 17 Stepper motors the same?
The NEMA numbers signify the standard dimensions of the faceplate mounting the motor. It does not specify any other characteristics of the motor. This means that if there are two different NEMA 17 motors, they may have completely different technical specifications and may not be used as a substitute for one another.

The NEMA standardization provides interchangeability, i.e., the ability to switch from one manufacturer to another without the hassle to change different parts of the motor such as couplings, mounting brackets, etc. But, if we take a NEMA 17 stepper motor designed by two different manufacturers, there is a chance that these two motors can have different electrical or mechanical specifications. Such as shaft length and shaft diameter, the number of lead wires, and many more".

That's not really the point anyway. The point is, bring in the part to take care of your customers that is most likely to cause you delivery problems of your "system". Particularly when it's one of the least expensive components in your "system".

I guess I should go back and read through the entire thread but with the new comple system that’s available for pre order you don’t need the motor and cables, etc. so I’m assuming you guys are referring to the older version? Just clarifying.

Reactions: lead ƒarmer
I guess I should go back and read through the entire thread but with the new comple system that’s available for pre order you don’t need the motor and cables, etc. so I’m assuming you guys are referring to the older version? Just clarifying.
I haven't ordered the IP new system. Everything I'm referring to here is in regard to the IP Trickler, adding it on to my Autotrickler V3 system/replacing (and ultimately selling) the V3 Trickler.

When I ordered the IP Trickler (beginning of October), I ordered a spare motor and cable as well. They are entirely optional items.

When I receive the IP Trickler, I want to sell the AT V3 Trickler and I don't want to have to screw around with moving a motor around, being short a cable and telling a buyer that he has to find/buy a cable. I want to be able to provide everything and say "here you go, everything is there/all done for you and you're ready to run". Easy peasy.

Last edited:
The older one was made specifically for people who had an AT3 already. It is just a trickler. It was only meant to be a trickler, and it was a fix for the AT2/3 units because the trickler was the issue. With the success of the trickler, many people and Paul himself thought a better whole system could be done and utilize that trickler.

The New Full System is just that, it's a whole system, so it comes with everything you need for the whole system. They are two different things, though the whole system, uses the same trickler within the new system.

Hey yall, it was clarified earlier that the Autotrickler V3 uses the same motor hence why it doesn't come with the IP Trickler. Since my goal is to use it standalone with a manual thrower and the motor that makes the thing work was not included, it surprised me. I was also worried that getting the motor from IP would be a headache (as it seems all of his products are), but now I know the motor is available at autotrickler and elsewhere. It's all clear now, thank you all for the extra insight :)

Hopefully, I get the IP trickler soon, I was loading last week and comparing my RCBS lite scale to my AnD and the RCBS was off by .2-3 grains at some times, all over the place. It was warmed up and calibrated and everything. Not sure if it's on the fritz or what, but I can't trust it. I manually adjusted powder based on my AnD and my SD's went from 12 to 4, and ES from 25 to 8. Yikes. I'm going pure manual drop/trickle using the AnD for the time being.