• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Initial seating depth while finding the right powder weight

You're absolutely right. I went to the range and ended up with a slow velocity even at 42.5. That was the maximum load I had so I'll continue upwards as far as I can, because the case capacity is starting to be a problem. These days I'll make additional tests. I decided to test at CBTO: 2.2580 (-0.020) and I had no issues at all. I was surprised from the group also, given the fact I had a bad mirage due to the cold weather and no time to wait for the barrel to cool down enough. The group is at 110 yards. Max velocity so far at 42.5 - 2601fps. I had 2 rounds at 42.5 and both were with exactly the same speed.

If case capacity is starting to be a problem then use a longer drop tube and trickle in the powder slowly. This will allow the powder to settle better inside the case.

Were you making windage corrections in that group, or is that just how they flew? If one can draw a definite line through their impacts like that it is a tell tale sign of body position/NPOA. (Natural Point of Aim) If you were clicking, that scope tracks really good. Your elevation is balls on!

I shot my first Berger VLDs today. Started at touch and I ain't touching nothing else with this load! :p

Didn't make any corrections, could be the mirage as well. The last shots I made when I look through the scope for more than 2-3sec the orange dot is disappearing... :D I didn't have the time to wait the barrel to cool down, and my primary idea was to check the velocity.

Didn't make any corrections, could be the mirage as well. The last shots I made when I look through the scope for more than 2-3sec the orange dot is disappearing... :D I didn't have the time to wait the barrel to cool down, and my primary idea was to check the velocity.
Heat is the biggest killer of precision & accuracy. That is why the competition shooters use thick heavy steel barrels to dissipate the heat. Try to schedule your range sessions so you don't have to abuse your kit and et diminished returns. SO enough with the Dad speech. LOL You are showing a lot of promise with those groups heat or no. ;)

• Love
Reactions: vbogoev
While he’s ordering the tuner from Eric, he should ask him why he test seating in 003” increments. I followed Eric’s advice and found I usually have my seating depth found in less than 15-20 shots. I also found, if you don’t want to be scratching your head and not sleeping thru the process, start by shooting thru your chrony until you get the desired SD, because if that’s not under control, everything else is just noise. I usually won’t even look at my groups, the numbers on the screen is the most important part of the process. If you can’t prep brass good enough to get single digit SDs then you need to start there. Forget seating until you can produce ammo good enough to benefit from it.
If your rifle is only a one moa capable rifle, then stop there. It’s not getting any better.
If I was going to half ass it, I’d just shoot factory ammo.
Yeah, except if you watch Mr Cortina’s very recent interview with Mr Green from Bartlein, you be will hear Mr Cortina say he has never found seating depth adjustment to be productive and he only uses a tuner now.

Brian Litz once said that annealing does not affect accuracy, a profoundly stupid assertion, but everyone thinks he’s a reloading god.

Cortina once said that seating depth nodes are very narrow and therefore people should make .003” adjustments.

But now it doesn’t matter.

His scores suggest he's mid pack only in F-Class. I was being generous. He gets rekt at PRS matches (the ones I bothered looking at) and watching him shoot pistols is embarrassing. His claim to fame is spicy YT videos about full length sizing. His content is entirely riding the coat tails of everyone else in precision marksmanship. Why anyone takes him seriously in shooting is beyond me.

Reactions: Haney and b6graham
IMHO tuners are for rimfire... in theory... maybe? (I don't shoot rimfire, and therefore don't know shit about it really lol).

I'm 100% sure they add one more thing to a centerfire rifle that can get knocked loose and possibly fuck things up.

While he’s ordering the tuner from Eric, he should ask him why he test seating in 003” increments. I followed Eric’s advice and found I usually have my seating depth found in less than 15-20 shots. I also found, if you don’t want to be scratching your head and not sleeping thru the process, start by shooting thru your chrony until you get the desired SD, because if that’s not under control, everything else is just noise. I usually won’t even look at my groups, the numbers on the screen is the most important part of the process. If you can’t prep brass good enough to get single digit SDs then you need to start there. Forget seating until you can produce ammo good enough to benefit from it.
If your rifle is only a one moa capable rifle, then stop there. It’s not getting any better.
If I was going to half ass it, I’d just shoot factory ammo.
He should also ask EC if he knows his brake is voodoo.

His scores suggest he's mid pack only in F-Class. I was being generous. He gets rekt at PRS matches (the ones I bothered looking at) and watching him shoot pistols is embarrassing. His claim to fame is spicy YT videos about full length sizing. His content is entirely riding the coat tails of everyone else in precision marksmanship. Why anyone takes him seriously in shooting is beyond me.
Nailed it , well said .

Just curious....
How many mid pack F-Class LR shooters have won their State Championship?
How many have won it three times?
How many have a Bronze at a World Championship?

How many will stop their day and talk with you about a question or problem?
How about we leave Erik's character, classifications, and win records alone and discuss his positions on load development instead?

That said, I would not sit still if folks were attacking your characters, classifications, or records either.

My apologies if it feels like I am calling you out on an opinion about Erik and admit you are entitled to it, and I realize anyone who is selling products or making videos becomes fair game to some degree. You are entitled not to like someone or what they are selling.

But in his defense, Erik readily admits when he needs to change a past position and has done it publicly and often. That you are entitled not to like anyone is okay, but should we be entitled to belittle his classification cards, win records, and accomplishments when those are facts?

Does this personal attack on (fill-in-the-blank) make SH a better place to work out load development, or does it threaten to make it a toxic playground for trolls?

Not to mention that he is a very friendly guy and you would probably rather count him as your friend than take away his records if you were not letting your keyboards get ahead of you.

You don't have to buy what he is selling or like his sense of humor, but SH would still be better if it didn't sound like a such a playground.

I'll have your backs and hope you have mine if a day ever comes, but today we needed to have Erik's back cause we are letting our egos go too far. A civilized, adult, criticism of a position is constructive, but if we keep using venom here folks who can actually help will stay away.

Carry on, as always, YMMV

I'd be 20thou plus. From the mag. If you are kissing...little bits matter a bunch. Typically larger jumps are more tolerant of seating depth inconsistencies.

If single fed....by all means, stuff it till it shoots.

One problem is that most of us can't shoot into the .2's every shot and therefore we mix form errors with equipment error.

Notice how none of the pro guys come on here anymore?
The funny part is, you’d think those guys would be hard to talk to, but most of the pros, will talk in facebook messenger and help all they can, and are happy to do so, then you get guys in here, that never win anything and always quick to criticize.

Just curious....

How many will stop their day and talk with you about a question or problem?
How about we leave Erik's character, classifications, and win records alone and discuss his positions on load development instead?

That said, I would not sit still if folks were attacking your characters, classifications, or records either.

My apologies if it feels like I am calling you out on an opinion about Erik and admit you are entitled to it, and I realize anyone who is selling products or making videos becomes fair game to some degree. You are entitled not to like someone or what they are selling.

But in his defense, Erik readily admits when he needs to change a past position and has done it publicly and often. That you are entitled not to like anyone is okay, but should we be entitled to belittle his classification cards, win records, and accomplishments when those are facts?

Does this personal attack on (fill-in-the-blank) make SH a better place to work out load development, or does it threaten to make it a toxic playground for trolls?

Not to mention that he is a very friendly guy and you would probably rather count him as your friend than take away his records if you were not letting your keyboards get ahead of you.

You don't have to buy what he is selling or like his sense of humor, but SH would still be better if it didn't sound like a such a playground.

I'll have your backs and hope you have mine if a day ever comes, but today we needed to have Erik's back cause we are letting our egos go too far. A civilized, adult, criticism of a position is constructive, but if we keep using venom here folks who can actually help will stay away.

Carry on, as always, YMMV
I think the guy is a dick . It's open mic night , I will say whatever I want about him . Worship him if you want, but don't preach to me .

• Haha
Reactions: RegionRat
Just curious....

Other than the world shoot last year, wasn't most of that almost 10 years ago? Lazy GMs get smoked by A class shooters all the time.

Today he finished 2nd in the Grand Agg.

1676532179120.png

Make sure you're applying the advice you receive to the right components of the game. Taking ammo / equipment advice from an f class guy because he's a great shot can bite you in the real world....I wouldn't take marriage advice from wilt chamberlain just because he drilled 10k ladies.

Some f class disciplines and tools can seriously screw you in real life conditions.

• Haha
Reactions: FredHammer
This is what I also do. If the mag length happens to be longer then I’ll just start .005 off the lands
Same here, but I’ve only ran into one time on a cheap savage axis hunting rifle for my brother. So I did the same and started .005” off.

This is what I also do. If the mag length happens to be longer then I’ll just start .005 off the lands
Is that .005 to account for shoulder bump moving forward and the first .002 of soft touch? I always think I'm shooting touch when I seat back .005.

Is that .005 to account for shoulder bump moving forward and the first .002 of soft touch? I always think I'm shooting touch when I seat back .005.
It’s an arbitrary number I picked. I don’t ever jam and I don’t want to be right on the lands so .005 just in case there’s slight differences from bullet to bullet. But I also want to feed from the magazine and not single feed.

Eric cleaned up at SWN this week with Alex’s 7 prc chamber.
Took home the 2023 champion trophy.

Reactions: RegionRat