• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Input on what happened to this brass...

WOW!

So Savage and Nightforce both got to eat some expense because of your poor decision.....

The ethics of some people make me question this hobby.

The way I see it, the customers will eat the added expense because the manufacturers will have to place this paid out in the appropriate column of their profit & loss sheets, which will raise the cost of products for the next cycle, unless the owners decided to pay out from owner's equity.

This thread should have started out like this:

"Word of warning: Don't shoot your buddy's hand loads in your new rifle! I just blew my gun up with a buddy's hand load, destroying the rifle and my NightForce scope. After pulling one of the other loads he traded me, I see the powder mix looks...well, mixed. I'm just glad that nobody was injured or worse. I can only imagine what might have happened if we had been at a populated range, and some innocent shooters to our left or right had been impacted with any of the fragments created by our combined negligence. Thank God it was limited to turning my rifle into a grenade, and nothing else.

I have sat down with my buddy and looked over his reloading bench to try and identify where the failure took place. We're looking at his powder dispenser, any other types of powder he uses to match the unidentified kernels in the mix, and the lot of Hodgdon's H-1000 to see if any other kernel types are in the canister. I'll keep you posted when we isolate where the failure point took place. Just glad to be alive."

I always question when I go to the range that I could have this situation right next to me. I need to start wearing my body armor when I go from now on.

I just received this in a PM from the OP:

It was very obvious from the beginning that he was trying to place the blame on the manufacturer of the rifle. The blame still lies squarely on the OP and his buddy for this catastrophic failure and it's absolutely shameful that neither possess the constitution to be men and accept the responsibility the failure of the rifle and the total disregard for the safety of those around them at the range.

This is a prime example of why I use the search function to find the information I need instead of becoming an active member of this community.

There are plenty of people I've seen on here over the years that I would be more than happy to shoot with but as of late... they are becoming few and far between and this sport is very quickly becoming populated by individuals such as the OP who put everyone on the firing line at risk.

I would have to agree with you. At first, I was trying to help him figure out what may have happened, but then he started to tell more of the story, and it all fell into place. At that point, I looked at his pics of the powder, and I could see the biggest piece of the problem---mixed powder. I felt quite strongly that he was not being honest in his original post, (call it dishonest by omission), and the more the story went on, the more uneasy I became in the way he was and had treated the issue.

I have a great deal of respect for you in the stance you have taken.
Don't back down!

I know, im going to get flamed for this, but had a catastrophic failure and working with the gun company, but thought id get some input on the casing from the shot. Im probably going to send it to a professional along with whats left of the rifle since the company is giving me the run around, but this is the 20th round fired from the rifle on an otherwise new rifle. It was a hand load from a friend who was shooting them out of his remington 700p 338 just fine and apparently one found its way into my rifle and it didnt agree so well. According to him, the load was Lapua brass, 96 gr of H1000, HPBT 250 gr bullet.
Any help would be appreciated, especially if you have a shop that deals with bolt action rifles and might be able to do a full analysis of the rifle to determine the failure. So far it sucks that im out about $5500 between the rifle and optics, and only made it to the range once.

Ive had a couple local shops look at it already and the consensus was chamber failure, but the gun company insists it was the ammo and their rifle was fine.

The original post bears repeating, I don't know how you could more directly say the gun was at fault without saying "My Savage blew up because it was built wrong."

This line is a gem too, seeing as how they were handloads intentionally placed into the OP's rifle.
It was a hand load from a friend who was shooting them out of his remington 700p 338 just fine and apparently one found its way into my rifle and it didnt agree so well."

This whole attitude of "Don't be such bullies, it wasnt my fault, you big meanies." makes me sick. Nobody is ever wrong anymore, and nothing is anyone's fault. I've never been a Savage fan, but the fact that they gave you a new rifle is pathetic, they should have hung up the phone and let you move onto the next company. Handing out freebies like that generally comes out of the advertising budget, and someone who screws up and blames the rifle first is not who I would want promoting my company.

-matt

For those inclined:

Don't forget to keep your "ignore user" list updated...

It is helpful in the future for when that deuchebag has something for sale you're interested in....you click on the link, see the "You are ignoring this user" message, and think to yourself: "I knew I kept up with that list for a reason!"

Fuck.... I just read every post in this thread hoping to learn something, and hoping to see some gun destruction video and pic's and you guys scared the dude off! WTF .....?

Come back Fenix, share the pictures man, you owe that to us at least.

OP's story went from one round finding its way into his range bag by accident, to the OP trading other items for the hand loads. He even states he intended to shoot these hand loads. Clearly voiding the warranty.

I don't know about you but when I shoot a new rifle for the first time, I buy factory ammo. It comes in boxes and I take each round out as I need it to shoot one at a time. So you just carry a bag of ammo around and grab the first one and put it in the chamber?

This whole thread seems like bs to me, and I believe the OP had to say savage is helping him out to bring his story to a close as not to give more contradicting information. You threw yourself under the bus when you said savage was taking care of the situation and the whole time you said you didn't want to have a smear thread. I highly doubt savage would care if you posted the pictures or video if they even exist. They would verify your story but you won't post. They must have made you sign a gag order to receive a replacement I guess.

Look at the whole rem700 debacle with guns firing by themselves, it was debunked and Remington doesn't have a hard time selling their guns.

A friend told me once, "friends don't let friends buy savages".

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Man, I do the exact opposite from you ^^.

When I put a new rifle together, I build a series of loads from scratch and I start well off the lands, and well back from maximum pressure which I qualify through quickload and various manuals as well as powder and bullet manufacturers data. I never use factory ammo first. I will say that I am extremely anal about the first few loads that get sent through a new rig because I don't want to put too much pressure on parts right off the bat.

Everyone has their own methods, but that is what works best for me.

I'm still pissed that the OP won't share rifle carnage pics. I want to see what that looks like. I want to at least see pics of the scope that was propelled 40+ yards away by the force of the blast.

Oh yeah... I don't have anything negative to say towards you Fenix Mike, it is what it is, but I am sure glad your mishap did not hurt anyone else at the range (you included).

Last edited:
Fenix Mike: "Ive had a couple local shops look at it already and the consensus was chamber failure, but the gun company insists it was the ammo and their rifle was fine."

I would love to hear from someone at one of the local shops that inspected the damaged rifle.

I, for one, applaud Felix for not posting the pics of the damaged firearm for the public to see and waiting for the company to render a decision. All posting pics does is add fuel to the fire.

I see where Felix simply asked a question based on typical shooters experience. He had a buddy how had ammunition that works fine, he shot it and it was not fine...what's the problem. Regardless if it was a mixed load, why is it that his friends firearm works and his did not.

As shooters with a long history of experience we can speculate as to why the rifle failed...it's all speculation. Given my background, I'd have done the same thing, wanting to know where the issue is. Even if the reload is over pressure, if the barrel was made with an inherent flaw due to improper machining, stress relieving or simply poor bar stock, I'd want to know. So what if it's over pressure...if the over pressure is within reasonable yield of the material, it doesn't matter. What if the bar stock had microfractures that were propagated by firing the firearm with in spec and "the straw that broke the camels back" was the last load...the company is still liable. This is why proper testing is required...this takes sectioning, polishing, etching and an education to determine the cause of the destruction.

I applaud Felix for not flaming the manufacturer for the issue. I agree that it could have been worded differently but he never came out and said "X company has crap guns and stole X money from me"...He simply wanted to know what happened.

Weird. I built myself a 7mm/338LM a few years ago. I was running 95grs of WC872 pushing 180 bergers at light speed. One day I get a call from a buddy wanting to load some varmint rounds. I cannot be there but trust the guy with my life so I give him the code to my shooting house/reloading room so he can load his rounds. When I come in I see a bleach jug by the measure and think to myself, at least my buddy put things back the way they were and decide to load a few rounds to shoot ovr the chrono since I was happy with what my load was doing at 800. First round runs nearly 3700 fps with a 180 berger. I know right then something is bad wrong either with my chronograph or my rifle. Turns out to be the rifle. 95 grs of 8208 makes a bit more pressure than 95grs of WC872, by a factor of 2x plus. But my rifle was intact and only the action body and barrel had to be replaced. Not even a gas release from a blown primer even though the M16 style extractor locked the bolt. Looked like some RL 15 4350 and 1000 in that pic to me. I do not see anyway that combo of powders even if it had all been 15 could have caused that. Live and learn I guess.

BTW for those who have not guessed my buddy had loaded his rounds with 8208 out of a jug that was nearly identical to my 872.

Well that sure was entertaining!! I'd have been inspecting my buddy's reloading room immediately after seeing that powder.

I, for one, applaud Felix for not posting the pics of the damaged firearm for the public to see and waiting for the company to render a decision. All posting pics does is add fuel to the fire.

I see where Felix simply asked a question based on typical shooters experience. He had a buddy how had ammunition that works fine, he shot it and it was not fine...what's the problem. Regardless if it was a mixed load, why is it that his friends firearm works and his did not.

As shooters with a long history of experience we can speculate as to why the rifle failed...it's all speculation. Given my background, I'd have done the same thing, wanting to know where the issue is. Even if the reload is over pressure, if the barrel was made with an inherent flaw due to improper machining, stress relieving or simply poor bar stock, I'd want to know. So what if it's over pressure...if the over pressure is within reasonable yield of the material, it doesn't matter. What if the bar stock had microfractures that were propagated by firing the firearm with in spec and "the straw that broke the camels back" was the last load...the company is still liable. This is why proper testing is required...this takes sectioning, polishing, etching and an education to determine the cause of the destruction.

I applaud Felix for not flaming the manufacturer for the issue. I agree that it could have been worded differently but he never came out and said "X company has crap guns and stole X money from me"...He simply wanted to know what happened.

I don't think any one is flaming him for not telling the make of rifle---the issue is that his story was inconsistent. It all sounded so innocent at first, and as the story progressed, it came out that he purposefully took some rounds that his buddy made---when he wasn't there, and they were not developed for his gun---and shot one, and the gun blew up. Then, he shows us a pic of the powder used in another of said rounds, and there is an obvious mixture there. This argument is over integrity, not over procedure. He has portrayed himself as the innocent victim in the thread, not one of the major players who broke the "rules" and is lucky to be alive.

There are two major obstacles negating any claim here. RELOADS! Basically, that's all it takes! There are too many instances where errors are made in reloading for any manufacturerer to entertain any claim. Their other way out is: They were someone else's reloads you were using. I would be surprised in them even answering your inquiry, knowing the above. Real tough break!

Who is to say that the rounds his buddy shot in his Remmy weren't less overpressured than the bomb Fenix Mike put in his rifle. Since the ass clown mixed powders, do you really think he has the capability to measure correctly?

I know I am late to the game here. Listen, after the pic was posted of the mixed powder.....PFFFT...game over...subject rested...blame established. For the record the first thing that came to mind when I saw the duke's mix powder pic was H1000 mixed with IMR3031 or IMR4198 both extremely fast for 338L. I have reloaded a long time and I can come pretty close at a glance telling powder from a pic, especially if I own it and have worked with it. THe guy that reloaded the grenade in question is going to tell you anything he needs to tell you, to absolve himself. He probably went home and pulled bullets like a mad man after your range session. Powders do not mix themselves. If that mix of poder is what I think it is he ain't shooting them in his fargin Remington either. Lots of unanswered questions here, and none of them point to a bad rifle, blocked bore, long cases...etc etc. When you have reloads, one was fired and one was pulled. One fired was grenade, one pulled had undeterminable mix of powder.....come on....what other evidence do you need, if you have any inkling of reloading knowledge and experience. This is the shit that every loading manual printed warns you about.....but then...some people only get their info from youtube.

I know I am late to the game here. Listen, after the pic was posted of the mixed powder.....PFFFT...game over...subject rested...blame established. For the record the first thing that came to mind when I saw the duke's mix powder pic was H1000 mixed with IMR3031 or IMR4198 both extremely fast for 338L. I have reloaded a long time and I can come pretty close at a glance telling powder from a pic, especially if I own it and have worked with it. THe guy that reloaded the grenade in question is going to tell you anything he needs to tell you, to absolve himself. He probably went home and pulled bullets like a mad man after your range session. Powders do not mix themselves. If that mix of poder is what I think it is he ain't shooting them in his fargin Remington either. Lots of unanswered questions here, and none of them point to a bad rifle, blocked bore, long cases...etc etc. When you have reloads, one was fired and one was pulled. One fired was grenade, one pulled had undeterminable mix of powder.....come on....what other evidence do you need, if you have any inkling of reloading knowledge and experience. This is the shit that every loading manual printed warns you about.....but then...some people only get their info from youtube.

And then blame OTHERS for it.

Chikn, I agree with everything you (and others) have said. Both these threads are dismal, in my opinion.

Weird. I built myself a 7mm/338LM a few years ago. I was running 95grs of WC872 pushing 180 bergers at light speed. One day I get a call from a buddy wanting to load some varmint rounds. I cannot be there but trust the guy with my life so I give him the code to my shooting house/reloading room so he can load his rounds. When I come in I see a bleach jug by the measure and think to myself, at least my buddy put things back the way they were and decide to load a few rounds to shoot ovr the chrono since I was happy with what my load was doing at 800. First round runs nearly 3700 fps with a 180 berger. I know right then something is bad wrong either with my chronograph or my rifle. Turns out to be the rifle. 95 grs of 8208 makes a bit more pressure than 95grs of WC872, by a factor of 2x plus. But my rifle was intact and only the action body and barrel had to be replaced. Not even a gas release from a blown primer even though the M16 style extractor locked the bolt. Looked like some RL 15 4350 and 1000 in that pic to me. I do not see anyway that combo of powders even if it had all been 15 could have caused that. Live and learn I guess.

BTW for those who have not guessed my buddy had loaded his rounds with 8208 out of a jug that was nearly identical to my 872.

Why do you have powder in (I assume unmarked) bleach jugs?

Some surplus powders are sold in white jugs like WC844, WC846, etc. I still have a white keg of WC846 on my shelf but it's clearly marked as such.

Epic thread, absolutely classic. Something for everyone. Real knowledge, humor, trashing talking, blackmailing, all sorts of inferring, etc.

Anyway, I was thinking about this thread when I read about a recent tactic the Syrian Army is employing against the rebels. The Syran Army is leaving ammo loaded with explosives, not safe smokeless powder. Rebels find ammo, and thinking its normal ammo, shoot it and blow their weapon up, possibly hurting operator and/or surrounding rebels. Nasty stuff. Not the same intentions with the OP here, but basically the same outcome.

Anyway, I was thinking about this thread when I read about a recent tactic the Syrian Army is employing against the rebels. The Syran Army is leaving ammo loaded with explosives, not safe smokeless powder. Rebels find ammo, and thinking its normal ammo, shoot it and blow their weapon up, possibly hurting operator and/or surrounding rebels. Nasty stuff. Not the same intentions with the OP here, but basically the same outcome.

Nothing new there; we did it to the Vietnamese. Not only did it make them wary of shooting their weapons, but also sowed seeds of distrust with their Russian and Chinese ammo suppliers.

I believe Terry was right about the direction of the blast. That being said...holy fuck! That Nightforce ruggedness is no fucking joke! I remember seeing an older NF ad where they spoke of a DMR or sniper taking a round in the scope, and the marksman continued to use the scope throughout the remainder of the engagement.

Fenix - if you still have the scope...if you look through it, what, if anything, can you see? Interested if you would snap a pic through the ocular?

The best way to prove it wasn't the ammo is to fire one of the reloads in your new rifle. If it survives, then you can tell everyone in this thread to kiss your a$$.

Be sure post video.

I am going to buy an AI .338 and test it with 90 grains of bullseye. lol. BOOM!

Reading thru the events the best thing to come out of the situation is no one firing or bystander was injured or killed, everything else can be replaced.

The best way to prove it wasn't the ammo is to fire one of the reloads in your new rifle. If it survives, then you can tell everyone in this thread to kiss your a$$.

Be sure post video.

YES!

This is a fabulous idea.

Be sure post video.

But if it blows up it will just prove that Savage sent him ANOTHER bad rifle...

It's ironic that first we thanked God that he wasn't hurt or even killed, and then we beat him to death ourselves. The mistakes and errors in judgement here are some serious shit that could have affected a lot of people for life, but they're being lost a few pages back due to all the late tackles. Read and learn, then make useful comments if you have them.

I have to post. I just wasted 20+ minutes of my life reading through this thread. i commend all of you who tried to help this guy figure out what happened to his "alleged" rifle. The discussion was right on the money and very helpful in resolving a hypothetical problem. We never saw pics of the rifle. We did see a pristine piece of destroyed brass without a smudge or burn mark on it. We did see a picture of a destroyed scope that after flying 40 yards down range didn't have one dent on either end from landing and tumbling. It didn't even have a bend to it where the front ring supposedly ripped off first and then took the back ring with it. We did see pictures of mixed powder. These are all facts. If I were on a jury, the evidence doesn't convince me there was kaboom. I'm sorry, but that's my opinion. I guess that's why I don't think Lee Harvey Oswald was the only shooter either. The evidence just doesn'tsupport the accusation.

I do again commend each of you for keeping it civil and trying to help this guy discover the cause to a problem he says he had. Your comments were helpful and instructive, and could be used in any reloading situation.

I am also somewhat saddened because if what the OP says was true, then because of his own misjudgement, a manufactured is bing held accountable for a problem that wasn't theirs, and of course to make up the cost, who do you think is going to pay for this? We are of course. We will pay forsomeone elses negligence. Sort of like spilling hot coffee in my lap then sueing the store becase the hot coffee I purchased was - yup - hot!

Maybe I should keep my mouth shut here, but it's not always my nature. To all of you who were trying to be helpful - you were, and a lot of us lurkers are thankful for your concern and input.

Thanks for a great site and a great community.

The way i read it is this, he took the rifle to a couple of shop who both said it looked like chamber failure, based on that he sent the rifle to the manufacturer to inspect it and test to see if it had any manufacturing flaws. I don't see that he straight out blamed the manufacturer, he just wanted a definitive answer as to whether or not there was a fault that contributed to the failure. If he did not tell them that he was using hand loads and especially someone else's hand loads i can completely understand that. Telling them it was a hand load brings the instant assumption that the hand load was the cause, what he wanted was for them to inspect and test to determine if there were any flaws in the metal that may have contributed to the failure. Yes it was probably the hand load that caused it, but did it happen because there was a flaw that failed when the high pressure round was fired and that if that flaw wasn't there it wouldn't have blown up?? He's like me in that he wanted more information not just someone saying that it was the hand load. Bear in mind that the information about the hand load being a mixed powder charge was only discovered during this thread and not known at the time of firing.
Also i have seen comments saying that he Blackmailed the manufacturer, you have no idea what was said between him and them, you just automatically assume that because he has pics and video of it blowing up that he must be trying to blackmail them into giving him a new rifle. A lot of assumptions being made on here.

Yes he screwed up using someone else's reloads in his rifle, and as a result it failed. But in the end the manufacturer has replaced his rifle even after being sent this thread, so maybe there was an issue with the rifle after all. As none of you have seen the rifle you are only making assumptions.

I guess we can all just take it as a lesson not to f@#k with other peoples reloads. not everybody is an expert and i bet there are plenty of people out there that think if its the same caliber it'll be fine.

The way i read it is this, he took the rifle to a couple of shop who both said it looked like chamber failure, based on that he sent the rifle to the manufacturer to inspect it and test to see if it had any manufacturing flaws. I don't see that he straight out blamed the manufacturer, he just wanted a definitive answer as to whether or not there was a fault that contributed to the failure. If he did not tell them that he was using hand loads and especially someone else's hand loads i can completely understand that. Telling them it was a hand load brings the instant assumption that the hand load was the cause, what he wanted was for them to inspect and test to determine if there were any flaws in the metal that may have contributed to the failure. Yes it was probably the hand load that caused it, but did it happen because there was a flaw that failed when the high pressure round was fired and that if that flaw wasn't there it wouldn't have blown up?? He's like me in that he wanted more information not just someone saying that it was the hand load. Bear in mind that the information about the hand load being a mixed powder charge was only discovered during this thread and not known at the time of firing.
Also i have seen comments saying that he Blackmailed the manufacturer, you have no idea what was said between him and them, you just automatically assume that because he has pics and video of it blowing up that he must be trying to blackmail them into giving him a new rifle. A lot of assumptions being made on here.

In engineering, we use safety factors, i.e. Calculate the strength of a given assembly, then apply a safety factor of 2, and tell the customer that it's safe for half of the calculated strength. We KNOW that at some point, everything will fail, it's a fact of design and engineering. We also know that calculations and manufacturing are not perfect, they're subject to tolerances and material variances within reason. The point of the Safety Factor is to ensure that the product will not encounter a mode of failure under any reasonable circumstances.

In a rifle, the action and barrel are rated for a certain level of pressure within the chamber, the rifle is built with a calculated safety factor to withstand pressures in EXCESS of SAAMI specs for that caliber. Depending on how each component of that rifle is built, it will withstand a certain amount of pressure above and beyond SAAMI spec, but without encountering a failure and knowing the pressure of every single round fired, nobody knows where that limit actually is for any one rifle. For liability reasons, before each rifle leaves the factory, a proof round loaded to SAAMI max pressure is fired, and the rifle is inspected, to prove that each rifle is safe for the end-user to fire. This process is documented and kept on file, so that if something like what happened to the OP occurs, they have sufficient legal proof that their product was safe when it left their factory. Through their inspection process, they KNOW that each rifle they ship is safe to fire with ammunition that is within SAAMI specs for pressure.

Somewhere beyond this pressure, SOMETHING will fail, though it won't be the locking lugs since they're engineered to be the strongest part of the system, preventing you from being impaled by the bolt if you do something like the OP. On the OP's rifle, let's say the rifling was cut slightly too deep, and the barrel split there, at 1.5 times SAAMI max pressure. Or, maybe the OD of the barrel was cut to less than the minimum tolerance, and the chamber was was thin, causing a split failure there at 1.4 times SAAMI max pressure. Maybe the threads were cut too deep and the barrel failed there at 1.37 times SAAMI max pressure. Heaven forbid, maybe all of these manufacturing flaws were present on the OP's rifle, along with an improperly heat-treated barrel blank, and everything failed - at 1.2 times SAAMI max pressure. So then, 10 gunsmiths inspect the rifle and determine that the failure occurred where it did because of all these things; it's still irrelevant because the round was loaded above and beyond the maximum rated pressure. Whether the same load has been fired 100 times in his friend's rifle is irrelevant, because that's a different rifle from a different company with different specifications. If that Remington blew up too, the OP and his friend would still be at-fault because the load was improperly loaded IN EXCESS OF THE MAXIMUM RATED PRESSURE FOR .338 LAPUA. End of story. Savage had proved that this rifle was safe to fire long before Fenix Mike took possession of it.

-matt

"Whether the same load has been fired 100 times in his friend's rifle is irrelevant, because that's a different rifle from a different company with different specifications. "

THIS^^^^^

And yet we hear these statements and questions all the time in the reloading community, and when answered with a sharp retort, there is no shortage of people who will chime up to pile on the one making the sharp retort.

"What is your pet load."
"The loading manuals are way too conservative on their data."

Nothing seems to make people bristle like telling them they need to work up a load from scratch. THIS is the reason WHY you do your own homework gentlemen.

Not to mention the savage 338 chambering is well known to be extremely tight and have tight headspace. The point is moot now though...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Pinecone, ive been in the industry for over 15 years, the magnuson moss act is only as good as your attorney, and the amount of money you have to fight the car company. Short answer is you wont win. Ive personally given the bad news to quite a few people that their $60,000 investment wont be covered due to the aftermarket filter or filter system (either cheap filters, or things like the Amsoil systems), and the news was given by Ford/GM/whoever by looking at the vehicle for about 5 min and making a decision. I also had a similar problem happen to me 11 years ago and had to buy an engine. Just because theres a neat document and things for you to google doesnt mean any companies "follow the rules".

That is not my experience. Every oil filter warranty void happened because the filter failed. And filled the oil passages with filter material.

But I do know of one where the warranty on the brake system was voided due to the use of a non-DOT approved brake fluid. But the stuff was blue and kind of obivous. :)

Do you guys really believe this friend is real? And if he is real, you really believe the contents of these loads were unknown to anyone but him?

Do you guys really believe this friend is real? And if he is real, you really believe the contents of these loads were unknown to anyone but him?

In my arrogant opinion, there are quite a few questions that I feel are unanswered. I started to really wonder when the story began to change as the thread progressed. Part of me is grateful for the thread, as I did learn some things through the discussions, and from research I did because of things in the thread. I also have stepped back and taken another look at my own reloading work, and my personal procedures to re-evaluate them and be sure once again that I am following safe practices. Other than that, the OP has me questioning large parts of his story.

Nothing new there; we did it to the Vietnamese. Not only did it make them wary of shooting their weapons, but also sowed seeds of distrust with their Russian and Chinese ammo suppliers.

Make sure we remember this when the revolution is upon us and ammo is in short supply. . . . .

One of the most common sources for mixed powders while reloading is a one-station powder measure/dispenser like the RCBS Charge Master or Lyman 1200, etc.. If powder from a previous load session is left in the powder measure and not emptied every time, it will get mixed with the new powder poured on top of it. Depending on when the loads were transferred from the load tray to the press, and then the cartridge case or box, these loads might not show up until after you have fired all of the rounds but the mixed powder charges, awaiting you like roulette.

Even if one of the incorrect powders is not enough to cause over-pressure on its own, it often has a different ignition temperature, and could have started burning first, propelling the H1000 down the barrel before it ignited, or vice versa. This is one of the possibilities with a secondary ignition, and an unburned mass of powder is not meant to detonate...oh let's say right under your scope.

It might have been something totally different, but this is my best guess as to what happened based on the limited evidence we have been provided. I agree that is serves as a lesson for those of us that hand load, and I thank the OP for sharing this wake-up call.

i have seen under charge do bad things before ...it flashes over the powder and back pings the primer like engine knocking ! this can do a lot of damage etc !

Personally I could care less about his dealings with the company. I just don't want to be the guy standing next to his buddy next time he pulls the trigger on one of those. He's gonna get himself or someone else hurt.

L
from personal experience I agree watching you eldest go off in an air ambulance. 70 year old no4 enfield let go he got the extractor in his chest 10 yards behind me. It turned out ok went under skin but over his ribs. He's got a good tale to tell we even got on the telly (helps raise money for Air Ambulance).
I load my own but at the time was using up some milsurp.
I'm glad your ok it could have so easily been far worse.
The biggest problem I had was trying to find the cause. never did pin it down.