• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Interesting Read On Barrels And Chambers

Gun Barrel Configuration Info v2.pdf (storage.googleapis.com)

Maybe Frank Green will elaborate on the content. Thought the standard/conventional vs polygonal rifling in relation to dispersion was interesting, especially for ELR, and forcing cone angle may have an effect on SD and ES.

I am reading it and have a background in physics and would like to see far more theory so I could understand and evaluate what is presented. This should not be construed as an indication that I do not agree/believe what his conclusions but more background would help me do just that.

Not a lot of help an no information I know,
wade

Caution, I downloaded the pdf and McAfee reports that it has a virus attached and quarantined. Just FYI
I see that. The first computer I viewed it on did not alert me.

Reactions: mtang45
I am reading it and have a background in physics and would like to see far more theory so I could understand and evaluate what is presented. This should not be construed as an indication that I do not agree/believe what his conclusions but more background would help me do just that.

Not a lot of help an no information I know,
wade
While it's interesting, it's also bad because it makes me over-think shit.

I thought this was an excerpt from Jeff Siewert's recent book, Ammunition Demystified (2022), but it's not a direct cut-and-paste. I'm not to that part of the book yet, but it looks like he rewrote it for Bulletology. I'll bookmark this to read once I've read that portion of his book, thanks for sharing.

I am reading it and have a background in physics and would like to see far more theory so I could understand and evaluate what is presented.

The book for you is Modern Exterior Ballistics by Robert McCoy. It has much technical depth, although it covers different material than Siewert's book. I've attached the TOC.

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpeg
    IMG_4574.jpeg
    471.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4575.jpeg
    IMG_4575.jpeg
    416.7 KB · Views: 16
I thought this was an excerpt from Jeff Siewert's recent book, Ammunition Demystified (2022), but it's not a direct cut-and-paste. I'm not to that part of the book yet, but it looks like he rewrote it for Bulletology. I'll bookmark this to read once I've read that portion of his book, thanks for sharing.

The book for you is Modern Exterior Ballistics by Robert McCoy. It has much technical depth, although it covers different material than Siewert's book. I've attached the TOC.
Thanks for the links. Looks like more sleepless nights ahead:oops:

The book for you is Modern Exterior Ballistics by Robert McCoy. It has much technical depth, although it covers different material than Siewert's book. I've attached the TO
I have had McCoy's book on my shelf for over15 years and studied it, if he was using McCoy's formulation he should have identified it as such. He has graphs of torque claimed on bullets with no mention of how these values were obtained, by calculation assumed but what calculations? I have read too much science literature and written some that you just don't throw a graph in without an explanation and expect the technical audience to accept what you have.