• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introducing the AI Obsession Chassis

8/19 update:

I talked to the machine shop last week and they are almost done with the programming for the chassis and all the accessories. I’ve seen a couple pictures of the 5-axis fixture for the chassis, it’s pretty badass!

Not sure exactly how long it will take to get parts on machines, but we’re getting closer. First run will be 3 complete kits; one for myself and two will be sent out for user testing. Then hopefully over fall/winter I can figure out if anyone else is interested and pursue a production run.

Sam

8/19 update:

I talked to the machine shop last week and they are almost done with the programming for the chassis and all the accessories. I’ve seen a couple pictures of the 5-axis fixture for the chassis, it’s pretty badass!

Not sure exactly how long it will take to get parts on machines, but we’re getting closer. First run will be 3 complete kits; one for myself and two will be sent out for user testing. Then hopefully over fall/winter I can figure out if anyone else is interested and pursue a production run.

Sam

What would it cost to make the initial run 4 complete kits? :p

Not wading through all three pages. Make these in these three footprints from the start and you got yourself a winner:
  1. R700 (duh)
  2. Howa 1500
  3. Tikka T3/T3X
Add the Sako TRG and 75/85 footprints for bonus points.

Not wading through all three pages. Make these in these three footprints from the start and you got yourself a winner:
  1. R700 (duh)
  2. Howa 1500
  3. Tikka T3/T3X
Add the Sako TRG and 75/85 footprints for bonus points.

At least let the pictures in the OP load (or read the OP). He is making an AI specific chassis that will re-use the original AI grip and butt.

Assuming the AI-action chassis is successful, I might pursue making a chassis (forend section) for an R700 AICS inlet. If only to allow the use of a R700 or Vudoo trainer rifle that was identical to the AI-action version. This would also use the buttstock and grip area of a factory AT or AX-AICS chassis.

No plans at this time for a stand-alone chassis for the R700, et al. I would probably do things differently because I wouldn't be designing around the existing AI ecosystem, but I can't claim I could come up with something better than MDT/MPA/KRG/etc already has.

I would like a TRG-22 buttstock
I don't have experience with either...is the TRG different enough from a Manners/McMillan to call it a completely different animal? Or is the picture in the concept close enough?

At least let the pictures in the OP load (or read the OP). He is making an AI specific chassis that will re-use the original AI grip and butt.
The OP understood my question/statement. You, not so much.

Assuming the AI-action chassis is successful, I might pursue making a chassis (forend section) for an R700 AICS inlet. If only to allow the use of a R700 or Vudoo trainer rifle that was identical to the AI-action version. This would also use the buttstock and grip area of a factory AT or AX-AICS chassis.

That's what I was suggesting + forend sections inletted for Howa and Tikka actions. Maybe the availability of stand alone AIAT or AIAX buttstocks and grips would be the deal killer there.

That's what I was suggesting + forend sections inletted for Howa and Tikka actions. Maybe the availability of stand alone AIAT or AIAX buttstocks and grips would be the deal killer there.

Yep, especially since AI doesn’t make a chassis for either of those inlets.

AI made a couple (read under 100) chassis for tikkas but almost none came to the states. Only one that I know of. I know how’s isnt even on their radar.

I don't have experience with either...is the TRG different enough from a Manners/McMillan to call it a completely different animal? Or is the picture in the concept close enough?

No, the pistol grip needs to be closer to the trigger. It will probably require the ears to be cut off the back of the AI chassis.

The TRG stock also has more room in the “U” area between the pistol grip and the butt section.

What you have drawn up looks closer to a McMillan A3 or A5 grip.

1st machining op on the 5-axis is complete, on to the 2nd op and the accessories (spigot, NV bridge, internal weights). I think I'll have the whole kit in hand with enough time to get it ready for my local club series finale match on 10/5.

Obsession_Chassis_MachineOp01.jpg

Obsession_Chassis_MachineOp01-02 - Copy.jpg

@THEIS thanks for the kind words and encouragement! Once I get the prototypes in hand and test them, I still have to figure out what's going on with the current ITAR rules and whether or not I will need to register/pay, or when I would be 'free' to sell them. Or possibly seek a partnership with a 3rd party to bring them to market.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Hi,

Nothing has changed yet, lol... Defense Trade Advisory Group is holding another meeting very soon..but IMO we will not see anything change until 2020.
The DDTC to Commerce transition has had just about as many delays as a lot of the current products in our industry haha.

IF you are going to be at Shot Show...lets plan to sit down and have a chat about everything :)

We can discuss filing a Commodity Jurisdiction to DDTC for your product.. So make that easier and do not mention anywhere in regards to marketing brochures for Military/Defense use :)

Sincerely,
Theis

Last edited:
Well, that sounds about par for the course! Can't go making too many logical decisions too quickly haha. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed for Jan 1, 2020 for the changes to take place ?

I'm hoping to make it to Shot Show, I'll definitely contact you if I get the chance!

Thanks again,

Sam

Awesome! Are you going to have this anodized or cerakoted?

Thanks!

The 6061-T6 chassis will be cerakoted. One in sage green for me, one in dark earth for @BLKWLFK9, and one in whatever color the Team AI guys paint it in.

The bipod spigot and NV bridge are 6061-T6 as well, and will be type III black hardcoated. The internal weights are steel and will be black nitrided.

Cant wait to get it and do the testing, Sam. I think its going to be a complete game changer for competitive AI shooters.

Hi,

Absolutely!!! I hope he finds someone to bring it to production or decides to take that jump himself!!
The thought, reasoning's and design speak to its' utilization within the AI market.

Sincerely,
Theis

I love seeing the progression on this, really cool!

I don't own an AI, but I would be salivating if I did.

Excellent work!

Reactions: samb300
First test fit looks great, everything fits and functions as it should. Next step is to bond it together and document the process. More pics and info to follow!

View attachment 7153213

You should take one more step and make the hand grip assembly out of aluminum so you can have the lug to attached different style and size hand grips.

Reactions: Stoweit
You should take one more step and make the hand grip assembly out of aluminum so you can have the lug to attached different style and size hand grips.
As @Luvman mentioned, it is complicated to do that while still keeping the bonded action/chassis interface. It is also difficult because of how wide and bulky the buttstock interface and hinge is...it all gets in the way of where an AR grip tang would go. I have thought at a lot about it, and it would take an even larger amount of effort and financial resources to pursue than I have put in already. For now, I think the goal of a “factory” AI competition rifle is looking good, even though it uses the AI grips and buttstock.

Reactions: candyx and Luvman
As @Luvman mentioned, it is complicated to do that while still keeping the bonded action/chassis interface. It is also difficult because of how wide and bulky the buttstock interface and hinge is...it all gets in the way of where an AR grip tang would go. I have thought at a lot about it, and it would take an even larger amount of effort and financial resources to pursue than I have put in already. For now, I think the goal of a “factory” AI competition rifle is looking good, even though it uses the AI grips and buttstock.

Can’t you just 3D print different skins with different angled/sized grips? Could even have an “integral” thumb rest.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Can’t you just 3D print different skins with different angled/sized grips? Could even have an “integral” thumb rest.
Well technically...yes. But it’s way more complicated and way more work than “just 3D print” a series of different grip panels and back straps. Step 1 through step ??? is measure, document, draw in CAD, 3D print, check the fit, then repeat over and over until it fits. And that could be just for one feature or component.

IMO the chassis is relatively easy when it comes to CAD, lots of flat surfaces and arrays of features. The pistol grip has a lot of complex surfaces which are hard to do in CAD, even more so when you have literally no dimensions to go off of other than what you can measure.

I’ve thought about new skins before, but I haven’t had the time or desire to really dedicate to going through with it.

@BLKWLFK9 I’m sorry but Sam accidentally shipped yours to my address. Looks like I’m going to have to pull my AT apart:ROFLMAO:

@samb300 the check’s in the mail:ROFLMAO:

seriously I can’t wait to see what these look like coated and right handed.

The chassis is completely ambidextrous, so if you want to mirror the pictures I post that should do the trick for a RH rifle for the time being ?

I accept cash, check, and Varget.

What’s the final weight difference?

I haven’t weighed the chassis next to the factory AX chassis yet but I will. I think it’s going to end up a bit lighter, especially if you bolt on an Arca rail to the AX forend.

The rifle in the picture above is 20.0#, which includes the 1.25# internal weight kit. Barrel is a 24” Heavy Palma.

Reactions: rydah
Well technically...yes. But it’s way more complicated and way more work than “just 3D print” a series of different grip panels and back straps. Step 1 through step ??? is measure, document, draw in CAD, 3D print, check the fit, then repeat over and over until it fits. And that could be just for one feature or component.

IMO the chassis is relatively easy when it comes to CAD, lots of flat surfaces and arrays of features. The pistol grip has a lot of complex surfaces which are hard to do in CAD, even more so when you have literally no dimensions to go off of other than what you can measure.

I’ve thought about new skins before, but I haven’t had the time or desire to really dedicate to going through with it.

Got it. That seems like it would be hard. And a lot of work. Didn’t mean to imply what you do is easy.

But man... there are lots of people that never get into AIs because of the grip ergos.

Well I’ve done it 3 times now, and will have to do it again once I get a chassis painted sage green.

You could say my action has been de-flowered and then some ?

Does that mean you have also re-bonded the chassis back to the action?

Does that mean you have also re-bonded the chassis back to the action?
Yes, I have re-bonded the factory AX chassis back to the action twice, and I just bonded the action to the new Obsession chassis. I filmed an instructional video to document the process for both de-bonding the factory action and re-bonding the new chassis.

When I re-bonded the AX chassis back together, it had been apart for about 5 months total (basically the whole gun and scope was in pieces). I went to the range and my zero was only off by 0.2 mils. Pretty crazy how consistent these rifles are!

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
Yes, I have re-bonded the factory AX chassis back to the action twice, and I just bonded the action to the new Obsession chassis. I filmed an instructional video to document the process for both de-bonding the factory action and re-bonding the new chassis.

When I re-bonded the AX chassis back together, it had been apart for about 5 months total (basically the whole gun and scope was in pieces). I went to the range and my zero was only off by 0.2 mils. Pretty crazy how consistent these rifles are!

That is impressive. I look forward seeing the video. I’ve recently bought a AT and am keen to see how your project turns out as the AT in MPA chassis doesn’t quite do it for me....