• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Introducing the AI Obsession Chassis

@THEIS This is what I used. It's what comes with the AX buttstock kit for installation on the AT chassis. I've also heard to use the Devcon aluminum putty, but it's $60/tub so I went with the $6 epoxy haha.

I bought some dual-tube syringes with mixing nozzles for the application. It's way too fine of an area to mix the epoxy separately and spread on with a stick or q-tip. Plus the mixing nozzle ensures a perfect 50/50 mix. Each chassis will come with epoxy and a mixing syringe for the installation.

1569526361540.png

That is impressive. I look forward seeing the video. I’ve recently bought a AT and am keen to see how your project turns out as the AT in MPA chassis doesn’t quite do it for me....
Sounds like you're already halfway there ?

What don't you care for on the AT-MPA chassis?

Bonded. Cured. Ready to rock.

I’ll do an assembly video next, and another video going over the features of the chassis. The features video I’ll hopefully get to this weekend; the instructional videos will take a while to edit.

03804A8A-042D-4855-9E9A-7A2B9861780A.jpeg

43D4708E-1A44-4705-8EC6-C099FE428383.jpeg

Looks great but could do with some cerakote! Looking forward to the range report ?

I shot my local WI club series finale, the new chassis was amazing and helped me make hits I haven’t been able to before. Especially in stages like our “doghouse” which is a cramped doghouse shed with small port hole windows.

I got 2nd in the finale, and ended up moving from 11th to 3rd overall for the season standings. I shot well, and the chassis was a huge part of it since out of 9 stages, only 2 were prone.

Feeding, firing, and ejection was flawless with my tried-and-true 6.5x47L shooting 140 ELDMs. Even suppressed I was able to hold my own against all the braked 6mm’s out there.

13B66B7E-E545-4723-A9C4-EC8ED180DEBF.jpeg

313602F0-C560-466F-AA1A-D3FD96FC065A.jpeg

75098AC1-DBDE-496C-AD8A-A9AC1E9E217C.jpeg

3726F572-8C8F-416D-9347-163276173DF0.jpeg

@samb300 What are those black plates on the left side of the hand guard?
They are the 1st gen MDT M-Lok weights, which were introduced with their ACC chassis. They have a newer design, but look very similar.

The Obsession chassis has spec M-Lok slots on the sides and bottom of the forend for accessory attachments like the MDT weights. The interior of the forend also has 1.5# of bolt-in weights.

They are the 1st gen MDT M-Lok weights, which were introduced with their ACC chassis. They have a newer design, but look very similar.

The Obsession chassis has spec M-Lok slots on the sides and bottom of the forend for accessory attachments like the MDT weights. The interior of the forend also has 1.5# of bolt-in weights.

Gotcha, thanks

I watched @samb300 run his AI in this chassis this weekend. He all but dominated the CoF at are club series finale.
Thanks buddy. Throw out that mover and you were right with me all day. Looking forward to next season, unfortunately in WI our offseason is just as long as our actual season!

• Haha
Reactions: BLKWLFK9
that chassis sits so low on that gamechanger bag. i bet it feels super stable vs sitting on the original AX chassis.
Yup, feels like a totally different rifle. I have shot AI’s exclusively for the past 4 years; an AT for 2 years, then an AX the past 2. After one match with the new chassis I have a much better understanding why guys love shooting and do so well with MPAs, ACCs, KRGs, etc. This style of forend, magwell, and rifle balance just works so much better as a dedicated comp gun.

I’d be very interested to see how the balance, weight and handling of the prototype is different when using an AT. Are you planning to do this Sam?

I’d be very interested to see how the balance, weight and handling of the prototype is different when using an AT. Are you planning to do this Sam?

Mine is getting cerakoted right now, my AT will be going in it, so stand by for results.

Tim that’s a great idea. In the craziness of getting the prototype in hand with only 1.5 weeks until my club finale, I didn’t get a chance to do any comparisons. But I have an AT and AX chassis, so I can bolt them up to the action and do a few comparisons to the Obsession chassis. I think pictures of how each one sits on a Game changer will be quite revealing. The balance point isn’t all that different without weights, but the new chassis lets you set it all the way to the magwell and then add interior/exterior weights to fine tune the balance. My current setup has a 24” heavy palma, the 1.5# internal weights, and two of the MDT M-Lok weights at 0.75# each. The balance point is approx 3-4” in front of the magwell, just about perfect for this game of positional prop shooting.

Once I get one of the chassis back from Cerakote, I’ll have to de-bond the raw aluminum one. Then I can bolt all three chassis to the action and take a bunch of pictures and measurements.

I told Sam this weekend, this chassis could easily sell a lot if AI's. I love mine, but I know its limitations in the comp sector.

Reactions: RS14

Tim, did you mean how does it compare to an AT....or how does it handle if you re-use your AT buttstock instead of the AX ?

Tim, did you mean how does it compare to an AT....or how does it handle if you re-use your AT buttstock instead of the AX ?

I am interested in how it works using an AT base rifle and compared to an AT base rifle; rather than an AX. I suspect Sams chassis would be more appealing to AT users and this would represent a significant upgrade in my mind. Although it would appeal to both crowd for sure.

I would not be surprised at all to see AI work in conjunction with Sam to offer a “competition” model AT. Makes too much sense IMHO. Call it an LE AT (AX rear) with Sam’s chassis, and I think they’d have a real winner.

JMHO...

I am interested in how it works using an AT base rifle and compared to an AT base rifle; rather than an AX. I suspect Sams chassis would be more appealing to AT users and this would represent a significant upgrade in my mind. Although it would appeal to both crowd for sure.
The target user is definitely someone who already has an AT. I only had an AX, so that’s what I used, which ended up being really useful for certain dimensions and features. I was actually able to buy a stripped AT chassis from someone that had swapped theirs, so I started the design with that.

If sold as a chassis on its own, it would be up to the user to decide which buttstock to use, fixed/folder and AT/AX. My thought was if you had an AT already, the chassis upgrade and an AX buttstock kit would end up at the same price or less than a factory AX.

Reactions: Tim Brush
I would not be surprised at all to see AI work in conjunction with Sam to offer a “competition” model AT. Makes too much sense IMHO. Call it an LE AT (AX rear) with Sam’s chassis, and I think they’d have a real winner.

JMHO...
That would be awesome, but we’ll see. I had my AIAC (Accuracy Competition) concept a couple years ago and they didn’t steal that idea then, so I had to do the design myself haha. I woulda been #1 on the preorder list had they made a comp oriented rifle at some point.

I have one of these in the hands of the Team AI shooters, and they’re excited about it. If they have positive feedback and can get AI on board, maybe there could be a partnership and a real AIAC rifle for the shooting public. Until then I’ll keep testing it and soon I’ll have the other prototypes with some other shooters.

As long as we're in discussion of AT vs AX conversion... Anyone confirm usage of AW mags with AT? I'm assuming no AW cut on AT so limited to AICS mag??? Hence only the double stack AW's on the AX?

This ^^^.

The Obsession chassis has the same magwell dimensions as an AT, but has a much larger flared opening for easier loading. It will use standard AW mags without issue.

The AX uses AX magazines, which are essentially an AW with a small metal lip on the front face to facilitate rocking into the magwell. Loading an AX into the magwell is amazingly easy, but I abandoned that design for this chassis because it takes up precious real estate in front of the magwell, and makes it require RH and LH specific chassis.

Reactions: Squibbler
Wonder if the foot print from the AW changed going to the AT... I've got an AW that sees less use these days but is a fantastically accurate rifle.

Wonder if the foot print from the AW changed going to the AT... I've got an AW that sees less use these days but is a fantastically accurate rifle.
I’m pretty sure it’s the same. Main difference is the AW doesn’t have the quick-loc barrel change feature, so barrel swaps would need to be done with a barrel vise out in front of the forend (basically the same as you would do now anyway).

I’m pretty sure it’s the same. Main difference is the AW doesn’t have the quick-loc barrel change feature, so barrel swaps would need to be done with a barrel vise out in front of the forend (basically the same as you would do now anyway).

AWs have a 3 lug bolt, whereas the newer AT (almost always) and AX have 6 lug bolts.

AWs have the older style trigger:

AW:

AI-AW-.308-20-inch-SAS-Muzzle-Brake-Pic-Rail-Green-Folder-Butt-Spike.jpg

AT:

373D6E3F997289F1BB8AC25574FBF81A62BFF5DF.jpg

AWs have a 3 lug bolt, whereas the newer AT (almost always) and AX have 6 lug bolts.

AWs have the older style trigger:

AW:

View attachment 7159937

AT:

View attachment 7159938
Yup. I’m talking about the action to chassis interface; i.e. recoil lug and dimensions of the four action screws. I believe the AW, AT and AX are the same, but I haven’t had an AW in hand to confirm. I think the Comp Trigger is even a direct drop-in to the AW.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
One thing to keep in mind with the buttstocks is that the AX stock has a higher cheek piece than an AT stock. with the forened rail gone, if you slam the scope lower, the factory cheek rest may be too high on an AX stock. Sam has a lower cheek piece which is used when you add the AX stock to an AT rifle.

I would love to see AI come out with this as the Obsession chassis with an AT stock. Charge around 5 grand, so it sits in between the AT and AX currently. I would buy the hell out of that. I am sure someone smarter than me can come up with a catchy series of letters to name it. maybe AI AO? and just sell it with the comp trigger in it, if it's not too much to ask.

One thing to keep in mind with the buttstocks is that the AX stock has a higher cheek piece than an AT stock. with the forened rail gone, if you slam the scope lower, the factory cheek rest may be too high on an AX stock. Sam has a lower cheek piece which is used when you add the AX stock to an AT rifle.

I would love to see AI come out with this as the Obsession chassis with an AT stock. Charge around 5 grand, so it sits in between the AT and AX currently. I would buy the hell out of that. I am sure someone smarter than me can come up with a catchy series of letters to name it. maybe AI AO? and just sell it with the comp trigger in it, if it's not too much to ask.
If you went AI AO then we would have to sing about all of the farm animals after that. Then we would never get to shooting. Though that might work great as a song to teach kids about guns.

Exactly, the "footprint" if you want to call it that. From pics it looks similar in arrangement and roughly speaking dimensions. But once they change it to add the quick lock tensioning system they might have altered other aspects. I

If I take some rough exterior dimensions like action face to lug and screw distances, would you be willing to compare and estimate compatibility?

Exactly, the "footprint" if you want to call it that. From pics it looks similar in arrangement and roughly speaking dimensions. But once they change it to add the quick lock tensioning system they might have altered other aspects. I

If I take some rough exterior dimensions like action face to lug and screw distances, would you be willing to compare and estimate compatibility?
Definitely. Let me know some numbers when you have them in hand and I’ll be able to tell you really quickly if they’re close.

I do know that guys in the UK have paid AI to swap their AW action into an AX chassis. I doubt that AI would make a custom AW-AX chassis for those few people, but anything is possible. I always assumed that externally the AW action was a 1:1 of the AT/AX besides the quick-loc.

Definitely. Let me know some numbers when you have them in hand and I’ll be able to tell you really quickly if they’re close.

I do know that guys in the UK have paid AI to swap their AW action into an AX chassis. I doubt that AI would make a custom AW-AX chassis for those few people, but anything is possible. I always assumed that externally the AW action was a 1:1 of the AT/AX besides the quick-loc.

Will pull it from the safe and get back to you.

And on the conversion, I didnt know that. I would bet money they are externally identical to facilitate this for military customers who have AW

My original concept was AIAC for Accuracy Competition. I like it at least haha.

Yeah the AX buttstock on the low action rail and low scope rings can present a challenge for some users. That’s personally why I still use the high action rail, and just recently switched from a 1.5” to a 1.18” Spuhr with my “low” cheek piece. So now I can still use the NV bridge if I ever get the chance to use a NV optic, and in comps I can use it as a forward support hand rest and have clearance with the front objective. All while still being able to get a good cheek weld and have a little bit of adjustment lower if I need it.

Quick measurements on an 09 AW

Attachments

• 20191007_165734.jpg
    20191007_165734.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 76
Quick measurements on an 09 AW
I'm 99% sure that's the same. The front recoil lug and screws are looking good. I don't have that measurement from the rear of the action to the rear screws. It's a bit tough, but can you measure the distance from the front action screws to the rear ones (center-to-center)? I've got 5.5" for that distance. If that's the same then I think the AW is good to go.

EDIT: Derp, did the math from your print, that distance is 5.538" so I'm guessing that's close enough to count.

I'm 99% sure that's the same. The front recoil lug and screws are looking good. I don't have that measurement from the rear of the action to the rear screws. It's a bit tough, but can you measure the distance from the front action screws to the rear ones (center-to-center)? I've got 5.5" for that distance. If that's the same then I think the AW is good to go.

EDIT: Derp, did the math from your print, that distance is 5.538" so I'm guessing that's close enough to count.

Could the dimension be 5.512” (140mm)? That seems to make the most sense.

Yep, action screws are exactly 140 mm between centers the long way. Front are 19mm apart and rear are 23mm apart width wise

You’d think so, but detailed inspection of multiple stripped chassis with pin gages would suggest it’s not all in metric whole numbers. There’s enough clearance that 0.012” gets lost in the fray, but it’s really hard to get a perfect measurement from a screw in a countersunk hole.

You’d think so, but detailed inspection of multiple stripped chassis with pin gages would suggest it’s not all in metric whole numbers. There’s enough clearance that 0.012” gets lost in the fray, but it’s really hard to get a perfect measurement from a screw in a countersunk hole.

Ya I've run into weird mixes of dimensions on products I know are metric being right on an inch even/whole number. Not fasteners, but spacing and thicknesses etc.

So, do you want an AI AW test bed? :)

Reactions: RS14