• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Invited to be a Freemason

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
This evening I was at a retirement party and the host of honor invited me to be a Freemason and become a Shriner.

I've done my due diligence in researching the Masonic history but it's difficult to know what's believable and what's bullshit. So, I figured maybe some of you can give me some true info on whether or not it's something I want to partake of.

Thanks in advance.

You do realize that a good Mason probably won't tell you anything of importance at all, right?

Its B.S. that however is my opinion of it I don't want to get into a big long winded rant but secret hand shakes and all the mystique is a waist of time

Masonry is a secret religion, despite their denials(they have an altar in their lodges) and becomes increasingly esoteric the deeper one is involved which should beg the questions; why are they afraid of the light of day on their activities and why aren't initiates trusted with the all of it . Is it truly a brotherhood? You'll never get a straight answer.

Membership is also still a de facto excommunication from the Catholic Church as the two are mortal enemies, but again, they'll never admit to it.

JoeZ

My wife had an uncle who was a Mason and he was a man of honor and integrity, as were his friend who were also of the order. I also had a former Chief here at my PD who was very respected by the officers and the community. He was always the first one to appear at an officers house when there was a tragedy in there life, he was fair, highly intelligent and still is an anchor in the community.

I know the dogma and BS that surrounds the order, watched all the History Channel babble and hear the fallings out of the Church but I also see lots of donations coming out of our local but only see money going into the Church.

KillShot having the invitation to enter into there world a peak behind the curtain is worth it. If they, as a institution, are even half what they portray then you could end up being part of something very good. If it is all BS and black magic you your powers of observation will spring to life and the little hairs will stand up on the back of your neck. Then you can get the hell out and worn us all.

Bottom line, I would check it out in a heart beat and see what all the propaganda is about.

Sully

Not in the Masonic Lodge yet or a Shriner yet, but My dad is in both, and I'd definitely like to get into both here in a few years.
Anybody who thinks that the Freemasons are out to destroy the world must have never seen, or heard of any of the stories about what good the Shriners hospitals do for children. (every Shriner is a Freemason). Just on got done helping the local club my father belongs to at their annual fundraiser and every year it amazes me hearing the stories, and seeing some of the kids they have helped. Truly a great organization that does great things for kids and families in need.

Stop chasing the elusive "Brotherhood" and just follow Jesus... John 14:6

Don't believe the "Freemasonry is a cult" junk.

It is a fraternal organization (not completely dissimilar to the frats at your local college). No they don't throw keggers or toga parties, but they are both private men's organizations. Its about brotherhood, charity and social events.

Loads of upstanding christian men are also masons.

People are scared of the unknown, and Freemasonry remains fairly secretive and there is a reason for this. Freemasons don't talk much about the inner workings of Freemasonry because when they are initiated into the order they swear an oath not to discuss the "secrets" of the order and, being men of their word, the vast majority keep this promise.

Shriners Hospital in Boston is quite a place and does a lot of good gratis for some very hurt people.

Geo Washington, Sam Adams and some of that line give it a +1 so it cant be that bad.

Reactions: archerforkids
Edit/add

Like all fraternal/social organizations they seem to be suffering for members these days. Too many other distractions to compete against.

What was onced kind of exclusive with "to be one, ask one" Masonry now advertizes for members on the radio in these parts and holds one day meetings to get new initiates inducted.

Not saying you are not worthy Kill but the days of secretive/selective seem to be past and now they are looking for anyone breathing to fill the ranks.

My step father was a 50 plus year member and put a lot of time in on the charity end. I feel bad that these generous charitable types are getting replaced by guys that take the one day class to see if they will learn some secrets.

More edit/add

On occasion Id drive the old mans truck with his Masonic/Scottish Rite badges on the rear glass. Often Id get approached by guys asking if I "was from the east". Of course I couldnt reply with the correct countersign or knowledge but I had some conversations with what seemed like SOLID citizens.

Other side notes my ex Welsh girlfriend and family were very suspect/disturbed by the stepdad's openly discussed membership. Seems British folks had hangups that the average American doesnt.

If you want to see spooky Mason stuff try jogging around the abandoned Temple in the craphole that is Monrovia, Liberia while muslim women ululate at zero dark thirty. Seems President Munroe must have been a Mason also and those he repatriated wanted to build a country on Masonic principles. If Liberia is the result they should stick to small cars in parades, rodeos and hospitals.

This evening I was at a retirement party and the host of honor invited me to be a Freemason and become a Shriner.

I've done my due diligence in researching the Masonic history but it's difficult to know what's believable and what's bullshit. So, I figured maybe some of you can give me some true info on whether or not it's something I want to partake of.

Thanks in advance.

KillShot,
You already know TRUTH, anything else is a false witness...

OP, that is interesting, because you shouldn't be invited.

Where you actually invited, as in, "We would like you to join"?
Or was it a question like, "Have you ever thought about joining", or "What do you think about joining"?

I would be hesitant of any situation where someone actually asked you to join, as that is not in the tradition of Free and Accepted Masons.

Ask what the penalty is for divulging secrets, and what you must take an oath to do to a fellow mason if you catch anyone divulging secrets. The disgusting truth, if they will even answer the question, should be all you need to know, unless oaths mean nothing to you. It is not a fraternity at all, and good deeds don't change the core beliefs of an organization.

The hallmark of a cult is not revealing everything to new members, saving the dirty secrets until you are heavily invested. Ask yourself why they would do that.

I'm not well versed on the Mason's, but can say the Shriner's are a wonderful group.

If you have so much free time, become a Big Brother or find some other way to fulfill your life, they're is all kinds of rewarding ways to enrich your being without joining some clandestine organization.

My father is a Free and Accepted Mason, he never spoke much of it, but I do know he made it to the highest degree Worshipful Master, he had the whole bib and top hat getup. I remember him mentioning that to become a Shriner, one must be a Master Mason first. So your invitation to become a Shriner was a little confusing. Here is a link to a quick search How to Become A Shriner

Also the Masons do not solicit applicants, you have to seek them out of your own free will.

Same argument could be made either way. Besides all of the Masons and Shriners I know have a pretty strong monotheistic belief system.

I have known Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, and Pentecostal Masons. I have never met an atheist Mason, as a Supreme Being is in keeping with their traditions.

Those who tell you Freemasonry is a cult are speaking on subjects that they do not fully understand with second hand information.

I have known Catholic, Baptist, Methodist, and Pentecostal Masons. I have never met an atheist Mason, as a Supreme Being is in keeping with their traditions.

Those who tell you Freemasonry is a cult are speaking on subjects that they do not fully understand with second hand information.

So I am confused, are you arguing against my statement about their belief system?

Invited to be a Freemason

I have found that most of those who bash Masonry are not nor have ever been Masons. As such, they rely on second and third hand info, History Channel specials and books by those who were either ejected, left or were never Masons. There is already a lot of garbage in this thread. I am a Master Mason and a Christian. The two are not mutually exclusive regardless of what you may have read. Pike is often quoted but he is not the guru of Masonry he is made out to be. It was explained to me before I joined that as a board of a corporation doesn't tell everyone and anyone what they discuss, though it may not need be secret, as does a lodge. If I were OP, I'd talk to Masons that he knows or knows of and not be persuaded/dissuaded by an internet forum. And another thing: you can learn enough about Masonry in the public domain, if you have some discernment, to inform you about "secret religion" " anti-Christian" and " penalties for divulging secrets" to realize that just as in the military or religion, there is symbolism. There are some truly idiotic statements in here. Makes me wonder how some of the commenters can figure out how to operate a firearm with the dark age, small town attitude they have exhibited.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

It's not that I'm looking to be a part of something "secret" but the fact that a friend mentioned that he would like for me to consider joining the masons and if interested, become a Shriner later on. I know masons and Shriners do some good things and I thought I may entertain being a part of it.

I had considered the Big brothers & Big sisters but my concern is...being falsely accused of something and losing everything I own. This is a concern because it happened to a former OKC LEO a few years back. He was accused of molesting a kid and he bankrupted himself to prove his innocence. The kid finally admitted he lied because he was angry at said man but the damage was already done.

It's a good thing, blcouch, said it best. I would just add that the alter mentioned earlier, has The Holy Bible resting upon it. Masonry takes a good man and makes him better, simply by associating him with other good men doing good charitable work. The reason for those secret hand shakes were to protect the members from Catholic church spies wanting to do them harm. More history for u out would be that at the Batltle of San Jacinto, Mexican General Santa Anna was captured by Sam Houston's Texican soldiers. Houston and several of his men refused to execute Santa Anna simply because Santa Anna was a Mason just like them. He was released and the rest is history. Masonry is a good thing.

All the "secrets" of Masonry are easily found on the Internet, it's no biggie.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

I have found that most of those who bash Masonry are not nor have ever been Masons. As such, they rely on second and third hand info, History Channel specials and books by those who were either ejected, left or were never Masons. There is already a lot of garbage in this thread. I am a Master Mason and a Christian. The two are not mutually exclusive regardless of what you may have read. Pike is often quoted but he is not the guru of Masonry he is made out to be. It was explained to me before I joined that as a board of a corporation doesn't tell everyone and anyone what they discuss, though it may not need be secret, as does a lodge. If I were OP, I'd talk to Masons that he knows or knows of and not be persuaded/dissuaded by an internet forum. And another thing: you can learn enough about Masonry in the public domain, if you have some discernment, to inform you about "secret religion" " anti-Christian" and " penalties for divulging secrets" to realize that just as in the military or religion, there is symbolism. There are some truly idiotic statements in here. Makes me wonder how some of the commenters can figure out how to operate a firearm with the dark age, small town attitude they have exhibited.

BS. There are plenty of former masons willing to talk about the organization, the "secrets" are not so secret. But if your blood oaths are just symbolic, why don't you just explain them to those here who haven't seen them? Is it because they aren't so symbolic? Which is it? Can you be a mason if you renounce them? Why not if they are just symbolic?

Haven taken a real oath I dont recognize or respect secret organizations that take fake ones...and they better be fake otherwise they are criminal and either way they are sick. You could always post them up here though to show everyone they aren't so bad and disprove me. I won't hold my breath.

To the OP, do your research.

my father in law and his brother were both mason's. Two of the best men I have ever known. both were in wheel chairs and would work charity events all day long and never in the 20 years I knew both of them did I hear a complaint come out of either ones mouth. If they all are cut from that cloth it would be an honor to be one.

I am also a master mason. I would recommend doing it. It is getting harder and harder in todays world to find a good way to socialize with good men. Becoming a mason is a good way to meet like minded/morally men. I have been a master mason for just over 1.5 years now and would do it again. Standards are still high, not everyone is allowed in. It also shows a great respect by the mason who mentioned the organization to you.

BS. There are plenty of former masons willing to talk about the organization, the "secrets" are not so secret. But if your blood oaths are just symbolic, why don't you just explain them to those here who haven't seen them? Is it because they aren't so symbolic? Which is it? Can you be a mason if you renounce them? Why not if they are just symbolic?

Haven taken a real oath I dont recognize or respect secret organizations that take fake ones...and they better be fake otherwise they are criminal and either way they are sick. You could always post them up here though to show everyone they aren't so bad and disprove me. I won't hold my breath.

To the OP, do your research.

So you're implying that an organization that has had multiple members become presidents of this country is fake? Just curious.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A real oath? As in 'support and defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic'? So have I. A marriage vow? Done that too. There is little else on earth that comes close to those two in importance. Masonic secrets are not about the secrets themselves as they are about giving your word to other men in the presence of God. If I had slipped the plans for a power plant to an AQ member without anyone else knowing, I would still know. It would be something I would have to live with, regardless of whether or not any harm resulted from the act. If I cheated on my wife in the middle of the desert and then destroyed the body of the co-adulterer, I would still know. It is not about secrets, it's about character. So take your 'if it's not so big a deal just tell us' childishness to Arfcom or somewhere. I have listened so a lot more anti-Masonic garbage from people I know and whose character, however misinformed, I admire than some internet scholars can toss around. To keep repeating here-say and xeroxed arguments is a disservice to the man that asked for I hope an honest answer by those who would give it.

Hell, I'm not a computer hacker and couldn't do anything with it Kypatriot, but how about you tell us your ssn, bank account info and balances, passwords, safe combination. I mean, those things are secret and matter to someone( you and yours) but don't mean shit to the rest of us who would never think of misusing that info.

All secrets are secret for a reason. Not necessarily the reason we might think, or secretly hope, if we have some conspiracy theory that needs experimental evidence.

OP, all the advice I will give is to ask a Master Mason one simple question, "What does Masonry mean to you?" If you understand his answer and it is in agreement with your personal belief system, join the Lodge. Good luck.

Another thing, that is not secret: you are told that Masonry is not to come before your God, Country , Family or Job. Period. So, where is the Satanic Anarchy in that?

I could care less about it. The OP asked for opinions, I gave mine based on the experience of a friend. You either believe the oaths are ok, or you don't. I have no problem revealing my beliefs or my oaths in public, because I am proud of the promise I made to my wife and the Constitution. I've never asked anyone to swear an allegiance to my SSN or other personal info so that analogy makes no sense. The reason we keep bank information private is obvious. You and I both know why the blood oaths aren't acknowledged, but again if they are harmless then let's hear them. If my opinion is wrong, prove it. I dont mind being wrong, it means I've learnt something. I am not intending the personally offend any mason, as has been mentioned there is more to a man than a single organization, but I dont take oaths lightly.

That being said, with all that's happening in this country this subject is the least of my concerns.

Last edited:
You choose your own path. If you feel compelled to enter, then so be it. If you are inclined to stay away, then that's probably for the best. For me, I have found a wealth of brotherhood, bounded by virtue. I have been challenged, and I have found benefit in being challenged. Freemasonry is not a religious institution, though a man must believe in monotheism to enter. For those of you who feel offended by the existence of Freemasonry, you have likely swallowed the red pill, and regurgitate only what has been fed you. There is nothing offensive in Freemasonry, unless you are a tyrant, or a fool.

To the Op I am a Master Mason and also a member of the Scottish Rite, there is alot of information that people think they know about and some of it is true. Yes there is an alter and on that alter is a Bible, there are alot of relly good men that are Master Masons and there are also some that should not be. The Masonic lodge is an organization that helps not only kids but also Vets, they do this not for publicity but for the ones that need the help. I have been a mason for 15 years and have held every position in the lodge, as stated above it takes a good man and makes him better. I would suggest that you talk with mason that you know and ask questions some of them they can answer and some they can't. If you decide to pursue it you will be supprised by the people that you have known that are mason's.

My youngest daughter was born with a very severe club foot, I didn't think she could ever walk. We were referred to Shriners Children's Hospital in Salt Lake City(300 miles away) The local Shriners contacted us and paid for us to visit the hospital; gas, hotel, food, everything for every visit.

We traveled to appointments once a week for 2 years straight, my daughter has had over 70 different casts, 4 surgeries.
She is now 6 years old and plays on the soccer team!

I never payed a penny for a single visit or surgery, they didn't even have a billing dept. I am forever in debt to Shriners for the care that they gave to us!! I couldn't tell you how many kids I seen at that hospital in conditions far worst then my daughter. It was truly heartbreaking and those kids got the best care you could ever ask for any where in the world, and parents never had to worry about any financial burden!!

In my opinion try it, it will be the most amazing expierance being a part of helping children and parents. An expierance you'll truly never Regret or forget!

Last edited:
I've been a Master Mason, for many years as well as a Shriner "Sitting on the hospital board", and a member of the York Rite. I believe in God and the bible, I've never encountered anything that I would consider a cult or evil. I can tell you this, "Don't believe what you see on TV". We are not trying to take over the world and we do not have satanic rituals.

Most of the time, the guys that are talking bad about the Masons, are ones that didn't get accepted.

I would like to tell you more, but it's all a (GIANT) secret..;-)

I hang out in a local biker bar owned by a Shriner and his sons , who are also members and they are constantly giving to various children's charities by way of raffles or poker runs and never ask anything in return , surely if the Masons could turn these folks around there has to be a greater good in their society of brotherhood . My grandfather was a Mason , so is my Uncle and cousin , but I never ask about what goes on , all I have ever seen are great acts of kindness towards others by them and that's all I need to figure out

The problem is, anyone who tells the secrets are apparently shitbirds not to be trusted. So, one side is saying they are not to be believed, but they won't tell you the "truth"... The other side is saying "this is the truth, the fact that they won't provide anything else is proof of this".

So at the end of the day, it's a he said, she said... and no one is really believable.

Reading all this makes me think. I'm in my mid fifties now. I didn't really have much for family growing up. I did have what I'll call my pseudo grandparents. My "pseudo" grandpa was a Mason. I never really thought anything about it as a kid or a young person as it really wasn't relevant, I just knew he was. Really didn't mean anything to me at the time. After reading this thread and recalling, my "grandpa" was the most kind, humble, strong in his quiet way, and an upstanding man that I have ever met. If being a Mason is "questionable" then I never saw that in him. I saw the man, not the symbol. That says enough for me. If that's the man that is part of the organization, or whatever it's termed, then I think it must be made up of good men.

The compass to circumscribe our desires; the square to square our actions; and the level that all men are created equal. It is about a brotherhood of men trying to improve themselves and their fellow man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the mafia of the mediocre. You might as well join a public union and say you're doing it for the middle class...

If I cheated on my wife in the middle of the desert and then destroyed the body of the co-adulterer, I would still know. It is not about secrets, it's about character.

So it's about character. Interesting since I know one mason that has committed adultery a number of times ending his first marriage and now it's working on ending the second one; also a known liar. Plus, I know one that's a thief, stolen from two places, a gun club that he no longer belongs to and a gun shop. Just like any religion or organization, there's good and bad.

I also know the "secret handshake", found out by accident when the "thief" shook my hand thinking that I was a Mason. When I mentioned it to another mason that I know, he gave me the deer in headlights look.