• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Ionbonding - Any good or bad experiences?

jasonk

Very Snipery
Minuteman
Feb 23, 2007
Vancouver, Washington
to send my Badger M2008 off to have it done, any good or bad experiences to share?

Also, I heard its thinner than Cerakote which will be good since the M2008 is pretty tight to start. Any one know the coated thicknesses of each?

Jason

Re: Ionbonding - Any good or bad experiences?

Global tactical sells AR bolts and carriers coated with it. Also some barrels. I have it on an 18 SPR barrel and it is a very tough, attractive finish. As far as thickness I do not know.

Jason,
check your email - sent you some pics - hope they help.
Your barrel on the rifle looks highly polished and the action is not. The barrel may therefore be a darker black (and shiny) as opposed to the action itself. I believe it is thinner but don't have the specs in front of me. Hope this helps.
Len

Here is a quick google find on thickness.

"But the reason I am writing is to give some technical info on the finish so yall ain't left in the dark. The coating most of people are wanting is the DLC (Diamond Like Coating). This is our PVD coating that is the One tough mother of a coating. Hardness is 70-90 rockwell and thickness is 3 to 6 microns. Not quite a half a thousandth at its thickest. Pretty much wont interfere with your tolerances. This coating is available for steels and hard anodized aluminum. Coating sucks up lubrication like a sponge, then releases it as it is needed. When coated parts come out of the Machine they are a dark charcoal color and after I oil them they are black. We also have a Zirconuim coating in two colors now. Flat Dark Earth and Desert Tan. The F.D.E. is closer to an olive drab tone. This coating is 60 to 70 rockwell hardness and 2 to 3 microns thick. So now you can have your two tones. This coating is currently only available for steels, we are in process or developing it for aluminum. I just finished a revolver in Desert and Black and it looks sweet"

I have had a few of my IPSC pistols done in it. The stuff is bullet proof, you can run a knife down the side of your gun and you leave knife on the gun. As for thickness, I have no idea.

My question is where are you guys sending your stuff to have it done up?

I've got a pile of stuff I'd like to send....

My understanding is ION Bond is now only taking non-OEM piece work from Scott Springer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt that nitriding jason? </div></div>

No. PVD Boron Carbide.

Adam,
Could you please send me some info on the process?
I did some parts as proto, with some kind of ion bond, a couple years ago.
Parts were not sent back right, and it was some hard shit to fix!

+/- .0005 on bore, and 6-8 micro.
Bore was not masked.
bet those parts are still working!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt that nitriding jason? </div></div>

No. PVD Boron Carbide.

</div></div>

Thanks. After looking this up its a interesting process. Similar to some others. I will like to know how this turns out.

Well I got to see my buddies Ion'd Wilson 1911 hit the concrete muzzle first. The metal at the edge of the bushing was rolled over but the coating was intact. He then dragged it all over the sandbox in a kydex holster. The lovely combo of fine sand and kydex did nothing to the finish and it looks like it was done yesterday. The slide rails show a very fine wear line but no signs of it going through after about 10,000 rounds.

Cosmetics after finishing are more like a bluing rather than a paint or hard chroming. If your parts have slight finish differences based on the final media blasting or polishing it will show up in the finished product. I have seen two 1911's done where the top of the slide was heavily blasted and the sides were nicely polished and it came out sweet, flat charcoal color on top with black mirrors on the sides.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 858</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Isnt that nitriding jason? </div></div>

No. PVD Boron Carbide.

</div></div>

Thanks. After looking this up its a interesting process. Similar to some others. I will like to know how this turns out. </div></div>

SIG Nitron. I had ION Bond coat some 1911 parts. Parts look good and the finish is fairly durable.

If anyone knows, from what I understand POF-USA does all their barrels with it but they also do the inside of the barrel and they (POF-USA) say it when they coat the inside of the barrel and they say no copper fouling or anything will stick. Is this true?

Super tough stuff. Ion Bond on a bolt carrier group for one of my AR's and it's tough a nails. No real wear to speak of and it's waaaaaay easy to clean. Can't see is to why it wouldn't work great on your action. If you're having the barreled action done then be sure both barrel and action are prepped the same / equal so the finish will match s mentioned above (good catch 110len).

Todd