• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes IOR Thoughts?

Re: IOR Thoughts?

Just got my IOR 2-12x32 today. Looks great! Glass is clear, precise audible clicks, easy to focus, very stout and robust. I bought it for my 6.5 Grendel build which, unfortunately, is still waiting for parts.

My experience with the 2-12x was this; (and I hope ol' Nordic don't have the same problems):
#1) At 2x to about 5x & from about 9.5x to 12x; the outer area of the sight picture, about 70% of the image, was so distorted that the scope was not usable. Scotty, the IOR employee, told me, "You didn't buy this scope (2-12x) to use at low power, did you buddy? Just crank it up and enjoy"...
#2) When focusing the reticle, I noticed distortion like a film of oil on glass in the MP8 reticle area (center of the scope). When set at 6x or 8x magnification which was distortion free, instead of the outer area of the scope picture looking like a fisheye/coke bottle distortion, the center reticle area looked "soft". Focus from 5-9x was crisp on the outer areas of the scope, but the center area was not crisp.
#3) When I used the parallax adjustment, even at 75 to 150 yds, I could not get the reticle and what I was viewing to both look crisp and sharp. The sight picture would be distorted or the reticle was out of focus.

I returned the scope asking to have it replaced or repaired. IOR returned the scope saying there was nothing wrong with it. Armed with a letter from the factory, I sold the scope eventually.
===========================================================

So 99hmc owns an IOR, my congrats. Now take a look at the two turret retention screws, the head is small but the shaft of the screw is much smaller. If you think you can find one of those screws at your local NAPA or jeweler supply, you are mistaken. Or maybe you are a tool & die man or machinist by training. Not many of those around, under age 65 anymore, but who knows???

99hmc said to me (see top post):
"Edit: Also why did you spend $25 bucks to replace a screw that you could have bought in your own town? You knew it was a little metric screw so why not just go get one? Also ANY scope company in the world no moatter bad or good will cost you at least shipping to their shop for warranty work......."

I would rather not get banned from here for insulting anyone, so ...

I am glad so few of you guys have had problems with your scopes. I was lucky that IOR knows how to remove the turret dial and could get a plier or locking vise grip on the remaining stub of the screw and thread it through. No, it's not rocket science to replace a broken screw; IF you have the screw, and if you don't void your warranty by taking the scope apart.

Of course, at the time, I didn't know that warranty matters at IOR were a joke....

To the guy who got to "upgrade" to the 40mm tube model; did you pay the difference in cost at full retail or at distributor selling cost? Might be a couple hundred bucks difference? There are deals and there are "deals".

Used to be lots of independent shops worked on Leupold, Weaver, Redfield; before there was a custom shop. Siebert, Ackerman, Lee, Premier Reticles. If Leupold went out of business tomorrow, they could still work on L&S scopes. Nobody works on IOR, not even IOR-Valdada; not unless you send it back to Romania.

Glad your scopes are working fine. If they stop working fine, then maybe you will get satisfactory service; maybe not.

As to the lighter walled scope tubing; I did not make up the fact that an IOR dealer told me. Berish himself dished a lot of dirt on IOR when he called my home. He seemed like a nice guy, maybe a little lonely to want to chat for 30-45mins at 11:30pm Florida time to a guy who didn't buy from him...

Anyway, if IOR ever comes to America with a service and repair facility and has more than 50 employees based here in the USA, I might consider buying their product.

As far as who you buy from; just remember that no one is in business to lose money. IOR-Valdada has only 2 employees and no service or repair facilities in order to maximize the profits they get from every sale.

Anyway, back to the North American IOR-Valdada Customer Love Association meeting....

Complex variable scopes with lit reticles are more likely to need repair or suffer breakage than other scopesights. Good luck when it comes to a warranty matter with IOR-Valdada....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">#3) When I used the parallax adjustment, even at 75 to 150 yds, I could not get the reticle and what I was viewing to both look crisp and sharp. The sight picture would be distorted or the reticle was out of focus.</div></div>

So you used the parallax knob to try to focus the reticle huh? Weird how that didnt work out for you. I can think of four (4) shops here in town that would have a small bolt. Would I do it myself? Maybe maybe not. Anyone worth a shit knows where to get stuff like that. Its not some kind of "speicial" NASA bolt or something....

Stop talking ebonics, its making me read your posts over and over to try to understand....

ENOUGH!!!! Yeah that is yelling.

This thread needs to be locked or deleted. We all know its buyer beware with any product. And I hate to remind all of you my scopes better than your scope warranty people but a warranty is only as good as the company behind it and for as long as they are in business. A company can go out of business in a day due to unforeseen circumstances and your warranty is worthless. Any guy driving a Chrysler or Pontiac/Saturn want to chime in? Hmmm??

When this thread went south with Swamper's, 2nd or third post it no longer was adding value to the Hide. We know he has an axe to grind that he can't wait to do so on any forum that will allow him on it. So lets get back to shooting, sharing knowledge, and enjoying our sport and eliminate the internet product safety experts with an agenda from our midst.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ENOUGH!!!! Yeah that is yelling.

This thread needs to be locked or deleted. We all know its buyer beware with any product. And I hate to remind all of you my scopes better than your scope warranty people but a warranty is only as good as the company behind it and for as long as they are in business. A company can go out of business in a day due to unforeseen circumstances and your warranty is worthless. Any guy driving a Chrysler or Pontiac/Saturn want to chime in? Hmmm??

When this thread went south with Swamper's, 2nd or third post it no longer was adding value to the Hide. We know he has an axe to grind that he can't wait to do so on any forum that will allow him on it. So lets get back to shooting, sharing knowledge, and enjoying our sport and eliminate the internet product safety experts with an agenda from our midst. </div></div>

Well said......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">6x 42mm Bucuresti w/euro reticle (kept)
10x 56mm Bucuresti w/lit reticle (returned)
10x 50mm Valdada MP8 (sold)
4-14x 50mm Valdada MP8 Illum reticle (sold)
2-12x Valdada MP8 illum reticle (sold)
</div></div>

I just want to know, "swamper", did you inform the buyers of the scopes as to their crappy construction and mechanical short commings or..........

did you just fuck somebody on the re-sale????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ENOUGH!!!! Yeah that is yelling.

This thread needs to be locked or deleted. We all know its buyer beware with any product. And I hate to remind all of you my scopes better than your scope warranty people but a warranty is only as good as the company behind it and for as long as they are in business. A company can go out of business in a day due to unforeseen circumstances and your warranty is worthless. <span style="font-weight: bold">Any guy driving a Chrysler or Pontiac/Saturn want to chime in? Hmmm??</span>

When this thread went south with Swamper's, 2nd or third post it no longer was adding value to the Hide. We know he has an axe to grind that he can't wait to do so on any forum that will allow him on it. So lets get back to shooting, sharing knowledge, and enjoying our sport and eliminate the internet product safety experts with an agenda from our midst.</div></div>

I drive a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT and my warranty is still good. I get what you were going for, but you should have used a better example. Like...Enron stock LOL.

I picked up an IOR 6x24x50 tube from Scott.

I feel that he was truthful about IOR. Of course, there are small things that annoy me, but the scope appears to operate well.

Initial observations:

1) Relatively total lack of documentation covering: torque specifications for rings, torque specifications for turret screws, recticle use, and general operation.

2) Minor rust on the screws.

3) Slotted screws that were clearly keyed due to slippage while torquing. (Not all of them exhibit keying...)

While the scope appeared new, I actually had to ask Scott of this was the case.

Even with piece of crap scopes I've never seen this...

Now, on the flip side, the glass is VERY GOOD, and the light transmission is pretty decent. Functionally, it does appear to work very well.

I love the MP-8 Dot, it's very useful.

I have not been able to put the turrets through their paces, so I'm not positive about zeroing issues.

I can shoot 1/4MOA with it, but it's on a TRG-42 in 300WM.

Why do my comments arrouse anger among other owners of IOR products here? Have I said or implied that anyone was foolish to buy the product? Guess I was a big fool, since I bought and owned at one time four of these "remarkable instruments.

It is the service, or lack of; and the lack of any testing facility beyond "took the scope outside and looked at some distant buildings", which I find "remarkable"! So, I post my observations and remarks....

"single shot" asks, "did I inform my buyers". Yes, I did. There were no defects on the 10x mp8. The 4-14 illlum mp8 went to a guy aware of the tube creases. It did not affect the scopes operation in any way; but I did sell the scope at a $400 discount. The 2-12x went on Ebay and I had a letter from IOR stating it was in "perfect condition". The scope had a return provision. The scope netted me about $725 after expenses.

Scott Berish actually said he would allow, or would consider allowing me a trade in of about $650, but I would have to send the scope in for him to evaluate it. That for the 2-12x 32mm which was Brand New, no marks, complete in box etc and certified by IOR to be perfect condition... Living in Alaska, I tend to want a firm commitment on a business deal before accepting to send a $1300 scope 5,000 miles away to Florida.

GB reports some further details of interest. I have never received even a $10 Bushnell cheapie scope with rust on mount screws or anywhere else. If a fastener has a stripped head or its slots/allen head look worn; I'd say it was a "USED" scope. Factory Service Technicians, of all kinds, but especially Optical Instruments, tend to have the proper tools so they don't strip screw heads; or they have spare parts to replace turned over screws to hide their clumsiness. Rust is corrosion. Not what you expect on a $1000 "brand new" anything...

The opticians at Wal-Mart have more tools and training in servicing "optical devices" than the employees at IOR-Valdada. That is my opinion.

I've always suspected, after getting the cheesy code-a-phone recorder/answering machine, that IOR rents the cheapest business park, storage unit "office" it can find. The kind with a roll-up door, and ol' Val said to Scotty, "Roll up the door a minute, would you buddy? I've got to check this asshole's scope out and at least say I looked through this piece of shit before we send it back. Don't suppose we should ship it collect do you?"

If it is "bashing" to report what you experienced with a product, and the lack of concern for the defects reported; I am guilty.

Before I went out of town the other day, I asked my wife if she remembered the expensive scope from two years ago that would about make you sick if you looked through it too long. She remembered.

As I've said, I wish everybody luck with their IOR scopes. When I objected to IOR's stance declining to make the scope work correctly, I just decided I could take the loss and move on. I also decided that I would report what happened to me.

I am amazed that so many are angry and think I am a "bad guy" for reporting the hassles and losses I incurred from buying IOR products.

If you watch Ebay or the hide, or even longrangehunting; you will see that IOR scopes are among the highest discounted used scopes. Other brands bring much higher resale values. Maybe it is the lack of transferable warranty, or just lack of general interest in the brand, (except on this board)? Other scopes bring more for a reason. That is a cold-hard fact.

Ask yourself why Zeiss, Meopta, Hensoldt, Nikon, Leupold, and others don't turn their products over to Joe Blow to distribute as they see fit? A quality company cares about customer service and repairs, and does not allow other firms to rent its name. The quality company incurs extra business expenses to serve the public fully and have control over all aspects of its distribution.

When the "quality company" says to a customer, "We have been having problems with our Six Multiplier scopes"; they won't say in the next breath, "...But you didn't buy that scope to use on low-power, did you buddy? Just crank it up and enjoy!" No. The Quality Company does a recall and fixes the problem. They dismantle the scope and clean the reticle. They adjust the erector lens group so there is no distortion, and they get the parallax and reticle sharpness working properly.

IOR had no interest in taking these steps for me.
IOR had then and probably still doesn't have the facilities to be able to make these common repairs.

Leupold or Burris can do those jobs. Guys send in their hunting scopes to have non-AO scopes parallax adjusted further than 100 yds, have the reticle and turrets checked, have the scope internals cleaned, and smooth out rough handling or other issues.

IOR doesn't care what you want or need. You are their cash-cow, and they milk you for all they can get. But that's only my opinion.

The saying is friends don't let friends drive drunk...
Anyone I knew that was contemplating an IOR purchase will at least get to hear my experience, unless they run away shrieking into the night...

When it all comes down to it, this is just about riflescopes.
Not a BFD.

You know Swamper, i have been following this post for a couple days, and seeing that you seem to be catching alot of flack for your responses, i decided to go look at your other posts that you have made. And i must say you are an assclown that has absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Remember the Larue OSR thread, you made yourself sound like a complete dumbass. And to me it ultimately seems that you are taking every opportunity to bash ___________ Company because you feel that they did you wrong or their product doesnt satisfy you. You are absolutely ridiculous and then on top of everything calling Scott out, cmon man are you serious, Scott is bout the best out there when it comes to customer service. You ought to go somewhere else like ARFcom( as mentioned above) and get all them to listen to you. These opinions are just mine, and based on what ive read from you, they seem pretty true and valid

As far as who is a joke, at least I am not posting on the "hot girlfriend" or "motivational pics" threads regularly, and my "handle" is not "deadly" something...

I post on matters of my experience. My experience has not been exactly like others' on this forum, but if I have a perspective that might be helpful, I tend to offer it up for consideration.

I have never bought anything from Berish, don't intend to at present, and my discussion is not about him or what he calls his sales organization.

If IOR-Valdada (the USA Importer of IOR products) now has:
+ 50 or more employees,
+ a staffed and trained technical services and repair facility,
+ a transferable warranty of 25yrs or longer,
+ a D&B rating of better than CB1
Then, I will say "Congrats to Val for caring about his customers and his business", and not say another word. Is this the case? I am pretty sure it is not...

Years ago I asked D&R Sports about carrying the IOR line. They told me they had looked at IOR and could not work with them. I was once a regional rep for a wholesale distributor and know about how important it is to represent firms that stand behind and can service/repair their products...

I really believe that if the IOR dealers had "integrity", they would clamor for better service from IOR for their customers. Maybe IOR makes a great scope? It doesn't matter if they can't do anything besides choose to replace or deny replacement on every scope that comes in on a warranty claim.

I was told by a dealer that "IOR's business model is to replace scopes rather than repair or service them". The fact that the warranty is very discretionary and non-transferable and the scope cannot be repaired except in Romania has to influence the Valdada warranty decision process. But you don't learn this until you have problems.

Anyone who is vigorously defending themselves from supposed "attacks on my integrity", but chooses to sell expensive merchandise from a company that has no facility for service, and plenty of economic reason to deny warranty claims is rationalizing their non-existent integrity anyway. But that is my opinion.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as who is a joke, at least I am not posting on the "hot girlfriend" or "motivational pics" threads regularly, and my "handle" is not "deadly" something... </div></div>

Just because someone participates in "fun" threads does not make him a joke. One proving that he is a narcissistic blow-hard that is un-willing to accept others viewpoints (even those of much greater experience) and assumes that everyone should agree with him just because he says so...

So you had a bad experience with IOR, sounds to me like all your "failures" were of your own doing. From your tone on this forum, I can only imagine how you came at the company and its representatives. If I were confronted by that, I would not want to help you either.

But, you know what, the world does not owe you something just becuase you think you are special. Sometimes shit does not work out for you. Your fierce defence of "I am always right, and you must listen to me or you are an ignorant asshole" attitude gets old real quick.

As an example:
Every time I see the word "scopesight" in one of your posts, I almost puke, what a douchebag. We all know what people are talking about when they say "scope" or "glass" or even "OPTIC." But you are to proud to bend on your oppinion that we are all idiots for wanting a good quality OPTIC to mount to our rifles.

In summation, nobody place any weight on what Swamper has to say. He obviously has a personal vendetta and his opinions are thusly biased.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone who is vigorously defending themselves from supposed "attacks on my integrity", but chooses to sell expensive merchandise from a company that has no facility for service, and plenty of economic reason to deny warranty claims is rationalizing their non-existent integrity anyway. But that is my opinion.
</div></div>

And yet you have done just that, did you not sell your IOR's?

Oh, and sorry for the douchebag comment, I feel that was out of line. I guess you just bring out the best in people. The rest of the previous post stands though.

Im not to sure where you get off saying that i post mainly in the motivational pics or hot girlfriends thread. In the first 3 pages of all my posts there is a total of like 4 or 5 posts in any of those threads. Wow, looks like you need a lesson on counting as well. If i felt that i wouldnt be crapping or straying off topic by posting what i want to about some of your expertise, i would. Everything you are saying is pure bullshit like i said above, you are on a mission to bash any company that you can. Everything from your experience sounds like a crock of shit to me. And the non transferable warranties, i think that it has been stated here a couple times that others have not had the same problems, and hey guess what, they had transferable warranties. And as far a making fun of my screen name, yours is Swamper, good one and you live where Alaska? Awesome, have you ever done anything work talking about in your life, other than bashing companies. Swamper like i said in my first post, and i stand behind this you are an assclown and you are right you are entitled to your opinion, but you are trying to pass it off on the manf. when in fact i believe the problems lie within you. And SWAMPER if you feel that you need to make a lengthy response to me, PM everyone here is tired of hearing your shit, id be more than happy to hear from you.

Deadly,

Why not confine your discussion to facts about IOR-Valdada? What you believe of what I post is of no consequence to me.

I mentioned the girly-pix threads because I did search your posts and aside from the For Sale listings, and girly pix threads there's not a whole lot to what you put up.

But to get back on track, this thread is about IOR-Valdada and our thoughts, as the originating member phrased it.

I am willing to bet that Vector optics has probably 30 or more employees, since they are seriously coming on as a contender in the market. Premier Reticles and US Optics likely have ten or more; but they are scopesight optics specialists, unlike IOR with large manufacturing facility. I bet even Falcon and Wonder have more employees and also have service facilities.

Zeiss probably has a couple thousand employees around the world. Leupold has about 750 in the USA. Burris/Beretta, Bushnell, Schmidt & Bender, Trijicon, and other scope makers are staffed with Optics engineers, sales staff, managers, customer service reps and all the normal operational staff that a firm doing a national product distribution, and maybe manufacturing will have to have.

Yet IOR does it different.

And yes, IOR did take off the elevation turret dial and remove the broken screw for me. I told them the scope was bought used. Their remarks about the tube creases voiding any warranty consideration for other claims worried me, but at that point I hadn't heard about them specifying lighter walled tubes and denying obviously valid warranty claims. Both Berish and the other dealer told me IOR's warranty denials had cost them money.

Anyway, if you own an IOR scope; I wish you the best of luck with it. The lens systems are very nice.

Reminds me of a joke: Woman on a plane is admiring the very large diamond ring on the hand of the older woman seated next to her, so she asks the lady about the diamond. "Yes, thank you it is a beautiful diamond, but there is a curse that goes with this ring!'
"A curse! How romantic!", the young woman exclaims
"Not so romantic, if you take a look at my husband" says the older lady.....

The curse on IOR scopes is they are distributed by IOR-Valdada.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One proving that he is a narcissistic blow-hard that is un-willing to accept others viewpoints (even those of much greater experience) and assumes that everyone should agree with him just because he says so...

As an example:
Every time I see the word "scopesight" in one of your posts, I almost puke, what a douchebag. We all know what people are talking about when they say "scope" or "glass" or even "OPTIC." But you are to proud to bend on your oppinion that we are all idiots for wanting a good quality OPTIC to mount to our rifles.

<span style="font-weight: bold">In summation, nobody place any weight on what Swamper has to say. He obviously has a personal vendetta and his opinions are thusly biased.</span> </div></div>

you hit it right on the head brother, oh by the way swamper since you wanted to show your manhood after being called out, and save what ever dignity you have, you posted here, i figured that was bound to happen, but since you want to fill this post with random bullshit, i wont continue to after this post. But you have a pm which is the way i said that i would rather he what crock of shit you had to say, so if you are man enough why dont you respond to me in a pm and not on the thread?????? Sound good

Everything aside, as I just drifts in here after a longer periode off, I`m quite happy with my four IOR scopes:

2,5-10X times two, FFP`s, of those one are about 8 years old with the green lighted reticle. That scope has about 6000 shots on a canned semiauto .308, never a problem with it. The second one are bought this year and is still waiting to get mounted as I`m travelling with a lot of fellas and we all wear the same looking clothes...

1,5-8X I gen, lighted CQB reticle - on an AR 15, thats has about 4500 shots, training and matches, no hiccups.

3-18X I gen, Metric reticle, FFP, residing on my Sauer SSG3000 in 6,5X55, gotten around 2000 shots, no problems with that either, other than the need to use OEM rings because of the odd diameter (same goes for the 1,5-8X).

Would I buy another one ?? Hell, yes - I just did...
grin.gif

wow this thread turned into piss central quickly. o_O Just fyi, I traded my nightforce straight up for an old 3-18x valdada scope and I couldn't be happier. just FYI.

Funny thing, there are two other repliers on this thread who had "issues" with IOR products. Another person (Maverick) back on page 1, detailed that:
"The issues with the SH 3-18X42 version were primarily with Gen 1 and Gen2. Rarely any issues with Gen 3 in this model. But like the other poster stated .308 or lower caliber and you will be fine."

There were a number of guys who received junk IOR scopes in those days. Those scopes were $1300 bucks or more. IOR stated to me, "We've had a lot of issues with our Six Multiplier scopes..." They KNEW they were shipping junk. They just hoped their customers could be placated and schmoozed over, or would pay more $$$ to "upgrade" to another scope....

Now, if we set aside the personalities; Somebody answer the concerns about IOR I posted:

Does IOR-Valdada have a technical service facility anywhere in the USA staffed by full-time employees that are factory-trained?

Does IOR-Valdada have more than 2 employees?

Does IOR-Valdada have a Dun & Bradstreet rating comparable to Bushnell, Leupold & Stevens, Zeiss, Burris Optics, Schmidt & Bender, Nikon?

Do you get the picture? IOR-Valdada is not comparable in any way to the other legitimate sports optic corporations doing business in America. No matter what you "feel" about your scope, if you buy IOR-Valdada, be aware that you are buying from an organization that cannot/will not fix their product, and refuses to invest in the capacity to operate like other businesses.

IOR-Valdada does tout itself as being equal to Zeiss and others, but simply forgets to mention everything they can't do warranty repairs, can't service their product, and can't change out your reticle or turrets should you want another configuration.

Even SWFA contracts with Bushnell to service their Super Sniper line of scopes. Why can't a company that makes a ton of money off its USA customers, serve those customers in the full-service manner that almost all its competitors do?

When surveying a market about a product, a fair margin of samples are paramount to the validity of the survey.

I own one IOR, the M2 w/Druganov reticle. Has been spot on with the AR it is mounted on & the BDC for the 62's is very accurate on my setup. No problems to report......

sorry but my six multiplier scope, I think it's a first gen one actually....
images

Zero problems and it's had the hell smacked out of it. Doing just fine.

I am glad most have had no problems. As shooters, we are all potentially friends, and wish no one to receive defective equipment.

If IOR had the same level of service, warranty, repair and custom facilities that the other firms it competes with offer/provide; I would have fewer concerns, but they don't.

Leupold will still repair, free of charge under their lifetime warranty, problems you might have with a scope they made in 1970. Doesn't matter who bought it then or how you came to own it, or how much tension you put on the scope rings when you mounted it.

IOR-Valdada has been in business maybe 8 or ten years as the IOR importer. Might even be longer, who knows? Yet, with all their products and sales, all they have grown into is a 2 man firm with nothing invested towards customer service or growing their market.

If all you want is "great glass" at a relatively cheap price, then have at it. Maybe you peruse the Russian Mail-Order Bride catalogs also? I have heard there are such things.

IOR needs to step up and do more for its USA customers, or maybe not... If you don't care about warranty and service facilities, why would they ever do more? Just price their stuff close enough to, but under the competition and ship enough scopes into their buddy in Colorado to handle the sales their dealers drum up. Set the markup margin higher than the companies providing all the "extras" and you can make the dealers absorb some of the repair/warranty claims you deny. Who knows?

Two years ago I recall seeing a guy on another board mention how if they could get a couple thousand dollar order together, IOR would let them become a "dealer". Maybe that is why a legitimate distributor of Zeiss, Leupold, Burris about laughed when I suggested IOR to them a few years back.

Consider how much it really costs not to have a repair facility? You have to buy or owe the factory for each scope that comes back. You have to replace all the warranty claims you can't deny. You save some salary and overhead, but people that use tactical equipment will use it as intended and complex variable scopes will be returned for repair. Then you piss off the customers whose legitimate claims you deny, or whose scopes you can't fix in less than 6months time to/from Romania...

As the disposable income for hobbyist shooters dries up, IOR-Valdada will lose sales. Hensoldt, Schmidt, Premier, and Leupold along with NightForce will still be around serving the professional Tactical market; but as the depression worsens individual hobbyists buying $1500 scopes will be few and far between. Pro shooters and their supply chain will not risk buying from a penny ante marketing group with no backup service facilities. Then try and get IOR-Valdada to honor its warranty as the gravy train winds down...

Try getting Meade Optical to honor a Redfield Colorado warranty, or ask Blount about honoring a Weaver ElPaso warranty. In their day, both firms had more facilities than IOR-Valdada; but those days are gone. When your small-time dealer is also gone or dead; who will go to bat for you?

Just importing "nice glass" and selling it at a price that undercuts your competition in the USA is not enough!

seems to me Swamper that you are flooding this thread and the other IOR threads with nothing really technical except one or two posts out of the 11 on this thread alone. All you keep talking about is their customer service, albeit a decent argument. But you keep rewording your response to make it sound like you are some fucking Ivy league graduate and how inferior everyones grammar here is except yours. Come on man we get that you dont like IOR. But 11 posts saying the same things is of no use other than you typing to make yourself feel better. Youve voiced your opinion. Let it be.

Anything can happen in life. Valdada has been in business for 18 years. They show no signs of slowing up. They can certainly fold the tent anytime, as can a host of other optical companies. I do not believe that is going to happen.

Personally, I prefer a brand new scope over a "repaired" one, in most cases. I've seen what some repair facilities do in the US and sometimes it isn't pretty. The best I've seen are USO and Premier at actually going into a scope and fixing it as good as new. I've seen some scopes hacked up and marred up so bad I had to demand another scope.

If Valdada chooses to replace any defective scope with a new one, what is the problem? To me, as a consumer, on a factory "mass" produced item, a new one off the shelf is the way to go.

All this beating of a very dead horse has a term: FUD

FUD

Small businesses are the real economic engine. We are tiny but we do this for a living, so we will do anything we can to make things work and are in this for the long haul. Just because a business doesn't have a huge corporate presence and hordes of staff and oodles of this and that does not make them illegitimate, IMO. Consistently delivering a product or service that makes customers happy and staying in the black is all that is really needed. There are untold thousands of "Mom & Pop" operations that have been in business for years that enjoy great success. There are also many HUGE corporations that would be dust right now if it wasn't for Uncle Sam and the bailouts. It's how you conduct your business that matters. All this FUD is just what it is.

Valdada certainly leaves itself open to criticism, and there some valid points here, but the fact is 18 years is a pretty long time, and if the sky was falling it probably would've crash landed already. But we all know, there are no guarantees. So we soldier on.

Scott

Didnt you hear Scott? IOR and Valada are crap. I just found out now! Well Im off to the back yard to burn my IOR scopesight.....

OK, so, lets end this.

The stats are:

Of the people that were generous enough to participate in this thread with first hand knowledge of IOR products,

35 scopes have had no reported problems and the owners are happy.
2 scopes had issues, but IOR corrected them and the owners are happy.
2 scopes had issues and the owners are upset (but one still owns 4 IOR products).

and then there is Swamper.

So, use this data and make up your own mind. I think that is a fairly decent percentage of happy owners, but that is just my personal opinion. And if you buy from Scott, you will be taken care of, so it really is kind of a mute issue.

37 happy : 2 unhappy (and then there's Swamper)

"Then there is Swamper"...

At what point do remarks like this and other insults become objectionable? Or maybe my experience and the clarity with which I've explained the situation makes you question your buying decision? Not my intent.

My questions still have not been answered.

A company that imports a supposed high-quality optics line into the USA, and in 18yrs it only has added one employee? Not like IOR-Valdada hit the market as a 100 employee concern. They have 2 TWO employees! I guess if you own a goose that lays golden eggs, you don't need more than 2 people to take care of the goose.

Mr. Berish is pretty damn silly bringing up "small business is the engine of the economy" and "the bailouts" Chyrsler GM etc.

Who knows how many millions in annual sales IOR-Valdada racks up? There are not that many police snipers or longrange enthusiasts and most aren't buying IOR-Valdada, nor or they buying a new scope every year.

When Maverick cited the 3-18x scopes finally having the bugs worked out in Generation III models; why did the company sell a product with such a large number of widespread defects?

Before I sent my 2-12x in to be fixed, Scott (the IOR employee) told me "You didn't buy this scope to use at low power (from 2-5x) did you, buddy? Just crank it up and enjoy!"

Then there is that famous quote also from IOR-Scott, "We've had some problems with our Six Multiplier scopes"... Yeah, and Ford had some problems with Pinto gas tanks...

Too bad there was distortion, image bending like a fisheye or super wide-angle lens from 9.5 to 12x also; so I couldn't "crank it up"....

Too bad the reticle and parallax were not capable of being in focus, and Too Bad the glass reticle had oil on it.

But IOR-Valdada checked that scope out and said it was good to go.

Leupold repaired my 16x mk4 with mil-dot, which had a dirty reticle; no questions asked and their technician worked on it the night it arrived. The scope was in the mail the next day with their blue service letter.

Had the IOR-Valdada scope been a Leupold, Burris, Zeiss, Bushnell or any other make on this planet; it would have been fixed.

IOR-Valdada has only 2 TWO employees, a discretionary warranty that is non-transferable and uses maintube materials so substandard that a set of 30mm rings can crimp the tube.

No other telescopic sight manufacturer does business the way IOR-Valdada does.

Maybe if I had been smart, I could've paid some extra money and "upgraded". I've never lived anywhere that bribery was commonplace, and never owned a scopesight made by a company that would disregard obvious defects and instrument design flaws. Actually, I've never owned any scope that was this fucked up. Maybe IOR has no Quality Control dept? Even someone with severe vision problems could've seen this scope was defective.

Well... When IOR-Valdada begins doing business like the Real World Scope Companies, let me know. Until then their "good glass" is just like a come-on look from a syphilitic whore. Maybe you get a dose, maybe you won't. At least you don't have to worry about your nose falling off if you get a lemon IOR product; that is some consolation.

Doesn't every scope manufacturer ship their product with rusty screws? Or maybe it is only the one operating in Romania? Guess that is old world craftsmanship in action..

You guys take care and crank up them IOR optics and enjoy!

Swamper....go somewhere else and peddle your wares. We of the Hide come here for positive experiences and to widen our knowledge of the art of shooting. You come here to run off at the mouth about your poor little experience with one company. Give it a rest. You don't like IOR...we don't care...go cry in your corn flakes on another board. You don't like Scott Berish and Liberty Optics....we don't care...go have a beer with Mssrs. Gates and Obama. Maybe they will be more sympathetic.

I for one like IOR as an option for optics. I have purchased 2 scopes (one IOR one Premier) from Liberty so far and the service has been first rate and the time Scott spends answering my endless questions was much appreciated. I get the same treatment from GAP, USO and many others I happen to inquire about information whether I buy a product or not.

I pronounce this thread offically DEAD, will someone bury it....DEEP?

I'll admit after owning a first gen 3-18 FFP I have a bit of FUD in regard to IOR and Valdata. My scope just loosened up and went fuzzy under 308 recoil. The scope was 100% babied. However it WAS a beta type product and I was somewhat expecting issues. Unfortunately my rifle had no open sights and I had no backup scope. So I really wanted to get something on my rifle. I ended up asking Scott for my funds back. I really REALLY wanted an IOR but I also was going to have a hard time trusting it and I really wanted to be able to trust it. Honestly it had amazing glass and I think I prefered the SH reticle to the P4F that I have in my S&B PMII 5-25X56. I'll honestly state that the difference in price for my S&B didn't really result in all that much better glass. The glass in the IOR was incredible and the light transmission was fantastic. Its quite clear that a lot more goes into building the thing like a tank on the S&B. This is most apparent when adjusting the turrets for zero. Look under the turret on the IOR and compare it to the S&B and its clear there is a difference.

Would I buy an IOR scope again? *ONLY* if it was from Scott!

Edit: Added the caliber that the scope failed under.

I have a solution to this paltry dilemma. When I bought my PTR MSG it came with a sweet optic. It's a 10x with "tactical" covers and NCStar rings. CDNN sure does have some good glass. It has no syphilis or any other STD (I had it tested before it was allowed near the safe).. So what do you say Swamper, wanna trade your lemon for my peach of a scope? Then everyone is happy..

And yes I am a relative newb to this board but I look through glass all day. Nikon, Olympus, Leica and Zeiss. Most of my time is spent on Leica glass looking for a cure for Parkinson's. And even the best scopes I work with have problems from time to time. That's why I have my dealer's number on my cell. I think that's also why so many people swear by Scott...

So a question. Anyone use the 2-12x32 IOR 35mm? I have a AR10 AP4 I want to switch up. It had an ACOG but I think I need more power. I've been thinking about a SN-4 or MRK4 MRT but I'm open to other options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
So a question. Anyone use the 2-12x32 IOR 35mm? I have a AR10 AP4 I want to switch up. It had an ACOG but I think I need more power. I've been thinking about a SN-4 or MRK4 MRT but I'm open to other options. </div></div>

I just got my IOR 2-12x32 the other day. It's going on my 6.5 Grendel AR build, but I'm still waiting for parts. I hate waiting!

What kind of barrel did you get for your 6.5?

Saturn was supposedly building me one but I've been waiting almost a year now with no word about if I will ever see a barrel...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of barrel did you get for your 6.5?

Saturn was supposedly building me one but I've been waiting almost a year now with no word about if I will ever see a barrel...
</div></div>

I ordered it from Templar Consulting. I got one of their 18" buttoned barrels. They still have some 16" barrels, and I believe they had one 20" cut barrel.

Good luck with your 2-12x. I had mine mounted on a GAP AR-10T for all of 2 days before sending it back. I got the scope mounted a couple hours after it arrived and noticed the sight picture was very poor right away.

The next day, I took the scope onto my front porch and tried to get the reticle to focus. Called IOR and that was when I heard about their "...problems with our Six Multiplier scopes" and was told that I didn't buy the scope to use at low-power, so "...crank it up!"

I would urge you to test the shit out of any IOR scope you ever buy, be sure that it operates perfectly.

Actually, what I wound up with on that AR 10 is a Leupold Mark 4 4-14x w/illum TMR reticle. The scope weighs half what the IOR did, is tough as nails, and gathers light like a vacuum cleaner. There is no distortion of image, the reticle is always crisp once adjusted, and the parallax control worls perfectly as well. Did I mention it was lightweight?

I really thought the IOR 2-12 would be a great choice. Too bad mine had so many problems..I like using low powered optics on field rifles. Also own a Leupold Mark 4 1.5-5x SPR/MRT and NightForce 2.5-10 24mm. No distortion, no problems in over 2yrs.

In my opinion, putting a scope that weighs almost 3lbs on an AR-15 sacrifices the weight advantage the 15 platform gives you. If you are going to carry a 14lb AR-15, you may as well carry an AR-10. If you are going to shoot longrange, may as well have more than 12x, but wow, when you put a 4.5-14 or longer IOR scope on a 15 the scope is about the full length of the upper and looks clunky, is heavy, and is still an IOR. I tried my 4.5-14 on a 20" upper, and a Sako TRG 42 and other rifles. IOR just uses antiquated long-tube and long occular bell designs on most of their scopes; and they all weigh as much as boat anchors. Yet we all have to learn the lessons we learn...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: six9</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <snipped>
And yes I am a relative newb to this board but I look through glass all day. Nikon, Olympus, Leica and Zeiss. Most of my time is spent on Leica glass looking for a cure for Parkinson's. And even the best scopes I work with have problems from time to time. That's why I have my dealer's number on my cell. I think that's also why so many people swear by Scott...
<snipped> </div></div>

Ah, Laramie WY, hotbed of cutting edge medical research I am sure. Have overnighted in Cheyenne, Casper, and maybe Laramie also. Is it on I-25 about 80mi South of Billings? Gateway to Yellowstone from the Eastern side?

Scott sells a lot of Leitz stereo microscopes, does he? Must have a cousin who is a buyer for Johns Hopkins, or Baylor College of Medicine. Wouldn't you be using an electron microscope to peruse cellular level events of your research? Not like Parkinsons is a virus or amoeba, is it? Does a lensatic microscope enable DNA mapping and examination of nucleotide/peptide wrappings?

Fascinating work you do I am sure. Always wanted a Microscope adapter for my Canon F1, to make lovely dye-transfer prints; but never happened. I did enjoy nature photography/macro photography with 35mm gear, and used medium format and 4x5 view cameras in the field. Also did my own darkroom work and archival printmaking.

Kind of obvious even to an untrained eye like mine that only a fisheye or super wide-angle lens is supposed to curve and distort subject matter on the periphery of the lens coverage area. Yet, the 2-12x 32mm (w/35mm tube) that I owned would distort from 2x to almost 6x, and again from about 9.5x to 12x; but hey! As IOR-Scotty said, "You didn't buy that scope to use at low power settings, just crank it up and enjoy!" Looking through a soda bottle was more pleasant. Shitty optics will actually make you feel nauseous if you use them for more than a few minutes; but you know that.

Wow Swamper, you just can't stop can you?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper (Ass)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

credibility sinking, hole getting deeper, must keep shoveling...

</div></div>

Ass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gugubica</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow Swamper, you just can't stop can you?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper (Douche)</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

credibility sinking, hole getting deeper, must keep shoveling...

</div></div>

Ass. </div></div>

agreed. There he goes again with Ivy League graduate composition again. Swamper did you ever think about writing for a women's magazine? You would be great, you can relate to them, you sure do bitch enough.

Guys,

Got any children? Funny thing about homeschooling is you can pick up skills you missed the first time around. No need to feel inadequate about lack of vocabulary and no need to shell out hundreds of dollars to buy a Power-Vocabulary set of MP3s. Always amusing to hear people use them big words in inappropriate context at a business meeting....

The only bitches I've met in months have been on this thread.

To quote that iconoclastic citizen of contemporary America, Rodney King, "Can't we just get along?"

Of course some "Americans" want to lynch the first person who looks different, has different manner of speech; or was cheated out of a scope warranty service... Oh well, ain't that why we got that pesky 2nd Amendment?

But hey! Contemporary Fascist America is all about corporations running the state. IOR can do whatever it wants, and if it is Fascist enough, maybe it will be rewarded with government contracts? That would make a lot of sense, buying scopes imported from Romania with no service facilities on this continent.

Might even make sense for IOR to have a repair station in Mexico City or Juarez? But kinda doubt they sell many scopes there...

Probably sell more scopes to individuals here than anywhere else in the world; but no warranty-service here...

Seem to recall that Jethro Bodine was an Oxford man...
So much for your "ivy league insults".
Of course it was Oxford OK where Jethro gradjiated from the 4th grade, but ivy is ivy.

How about you IOR groupies and camp-followers leave the personalities and personal comments out of it here, and I won't have to waste my time picking up the gauntlet.

Wasn't kidding about homeschooling though. Might actually find that your kid is a lot brighter than your public or private school teachers ever thought.

Baylor? You are giving me crap for UW and you cite Baylor?? And no, Laramie is on I-80. Also UW does have a rather interesting deal worked out with the other UW, giving Wyoming students sixteen slots to the number one ranked primary care medical school in the US. Baylor is ranked 17th by those same rankings. This is where I will go after I finish my Neuroscience degree. UW Neuroscience also ranks among the highest in the US by NIH funding. Both the US News rankings and NIH grants are listed online if you feel like researching it more.

Furthermore, a scanning electron microscope is only helpful for examining one part of one cell. We now know that PD is caused by the destruction of a large amount of dopaminergic neurons in the substantia nigra pars compacta. My research is about the neuroprotective role of a heat shock protein as it effects the whole brain and the SNPC. So a SEM does jack shit for me. We use a method called IHC to determine a total number of neurons with my protein and without before and after they have been given MPTP. Because there is no true Parkinson's in animals. It occurs in humans only so in order to study it we must induce it with MPTP. Being as the SNPC is of a decent size we use either a high quality Leica to detect fluorescent signals or a confocal.

I don't know Scott at all, but I do know that all optics have problems from time to time. That is what I was trying to point out. Even the SEM spends a good deal of its life waiting for someone to fix it. And YES bad quality optics will make me dizzy and sick in no time. Especially, under higher magnification.

I would also give you the benefit of the doubt on your "eye." If you have shot 4x5 you, no doubt, have dealt with all sorts of optics and put a good deal of time in behind lenses. I also sympathize that you were burned on higher dollar optic. My offer was intended to be funny. I guess it wasn't seen that way. But it did have a decent idea imbedded in it. I can't stand Canon glass and it gives me a headache when I use it at higher power. Nikkor, for whatever reason, represents the image I wanted much better and my eyes and head feel much better. So perhaps you should trade the IOR to someone who likes IOR, and get something that fits you better.

Oh, and to the others, sorry for my essay on neuroscience.. I felt I had to defend my school and research a little bit there.

six9, no worries, Swamper is an assclown that needs to make himself sound like he is better than everyone else. If you notice he is an expert on all things in the shooting, camera, glass, and optical world. Next he is gonna tell us he had a hand in building the Hubble telescope. Just brush what he says under the rug, he is only here to bash IOR and anyone that disagrees with him

Chock another 1 up in the satisfied customer column with IOR. I love my 3 X 18 X 42.

Shot with, but haven't owned a U.S. Optics or Nightforce though...but for the money I'm very happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he is an expert on all things in the shooting, camera, glass, and optical world</div></div>

And yet his Leupy "gathers light like a vacuum cleaner"
confused.gif

Swamper I truly am surprised you haven't been banned. You are one hell of a nuisance. I pray this website doesn't turn in to arfcom. I think you've had some bad experiences with IOR but for whatever reason you've come here to pick a big fight for no other reason than I can tell than because it's entertaining and taxing. If you want to contribute to the forum, knock yourself out. The more info the better, but just because you say IOR is crap doesn't mean so. I have a beat-to-shit first gen 3-18x IOR scope that is still 100% 5x5. I traded a like new nightforce for it and still could not be happier. Just recently contacted IOR because it was missing a windage cap and they are replacing it for FREE!@ Guy on the phone said simply give him my address and he'd ship it out. That's pretty good as far as customer service goes. Usually companies CHARGE you for things, hence their in the business to make money. Especially since the burden of the loss of the knob cover is on me and not them. No problems at all with IOR. It seems like your past dealings with IOR were just that.... in the past. If they were a crummy business to do business with, well they're not anymore.

My personal IOR/Liberty Optics experience: I purchased an IOR 3x18x42 (Flea Scope) with the illuminated MP-8 reticle from Scott Berish at Liberty Optics a couple years ago and have yet to find a scope I like better. I did have an issue with a very small bubble that appeared to be on the inside of the objective lens. I called Scott and he instructed me to send it to Valdada in Littleton, CO. He also advised that he would call Valdada as well. It was three months before I received a scope, but they sent me brand new one! During that time, I stayed in touch with Scott Berish and he kept on Valdada. To my understanding, It took a while to get in the scopes with the exposed tactical turrets. Scott Berish, about the two month mark, offered to purchase one from another dealer and send it to me. In turn, he would wait for the one Valdada would send me when it came in. I just got it a few days ago! I am about to sell it! But, only to fund another IOR purchase from Liberty Optics! I decided to exercise patience and I didn't allow Scott to purchase a scope for me. But, the fact that he was willing to, just goes to show what level of customer service you get at Liberty Optics! So, in light of the conversations in this thread, I would like to thank Scott Berish and say that I look forward to doing business with him again!

hmmm I wonder how much it'd cost to trade in my old first gen 3-18x for one with the big exposed turret if at all possible.......

yeah I'd like to have the larger amount of moa per turn. how much do the older 3-18x scopes usually run for used?