• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

iPhone 'Stealth Tweaks'

Powder_Burns

Shoutbox Veteran
Supporter
Minuteman
  • May 4, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm not really sure to what extent the iPhones are being used by the shooting community, but considering the number of programs avaliable for calculating drop tables and ballistics I thought I would offer some little tips about these toys.

Out of the box, the iphone is shiny and noisy. It makes all kinds of noises for everything, and the backlight is pretty intense. If one were to use an iphone during a hunt or a tactical situation, unplanned noises or lights could blow your cover etc. Using the iphone could cast enough glare to illuminate your face, and the noises the unit emulates present other target indicators (ie sound).

So, the 2 biggest factors to address are the backlight and sound effects.

The backlight isn't an issue during the daytime, so its not crucial at that point, but as ambient light decreases the backlight will be proportionately brighter.

On your iphone, tap the settings icon. It looks like a gray icon with a picture of gears. When you are inside that menu, access the Brightness tab. The slider on top allows you to manually select a brightness, the button underneath will automatically adjust the brightness to match the amount of ambient light. For night use I recommened the brightness be manually set to the lowest level and allow your eyes to adjust to it. If it is too dim only increase the brightness a small percentage and allow your eyes to acclimatize.

Now the sounds part is much more involved. The first thing to do is go back to the settings page, and then to the sounds tab.
    At the bottom of that page is a switch for 'Keyboard Clicks', you will want to disable that sound by switching it to 'off'. This takes care of the noise you would create by inputting data.

The next 2 sounds we need to address are the iphone lock and unlock sound effects. This is the computer savvy part, its much more involved than the previous 2 steps we took.

Basically, all the iphone sound effects are stored in a folder on your iphone that is not accessible 'out of the box'. In other words, you need to take some special steps to access these files. There are programs avaliable on the web that give you a pretty interface to allow you to drag and drop files to and from your iphone.

The dirty way to do this involves some mild iphone hacking. iPhones come from the retailer 'locked', meaning the file systems are protected from end-user access and this also restricts the phone from being used with other carriers or service. It is an accepted practice already to obtain an iphone, have it unlocked or 'jailbroken', and then get the phone connected to T-Mobile as opposed to AT&T.
    Anyway, what you do is google 'BlackRa1n'. This is the software that unlocks your iphone. Plug your iphone into the computer with your usb connector, run the program BlackRa1n. It will automatically install to your iphone. After that is done you will have a BlackRa1n icon in your iphone, run the program and a menu comes up with 3 tabs; Cydia, Rock, and sn0w. sn0w will unlock your iphone, then install Cydia. Cydia is a 3rd party software repository for iphones, it contains software bundles and packages not offered on the AppStore. Through Cydia there are a bunch of useful programs to install onto your iphone, but for now we are concerned with <span style="font-weight: bold">Terminal</span>. Terminal is the program that will allow you to navigate the iphone software directories and make the modifications we need to stealth out the iphone.

Once you have Terminal installed, its time to run the program. It brings you to a text prompt we call a 'console'. In that console you are going to input the commands we need to silence the phone. Note--this is not a permanent tweak, it can always be reverted back to the regular settings.

Your command prompt will look something like this:

user:~ mobile$

we are going to type in: ls

ls means 'list' more or less, it lists the contents of the directory you are currently in, which is /var/mobile/.

You should see a list of folders, Applications, Downloads, Media, Documents, Library.

We need to be in a different folder to make this happen, so you type in: cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
    That is case sensitive too, should look like this:

user:~ mobile$ cd /System/Library/Audio/UISounds
    user:/System/Library/Audio/UISounds mobile$

enter the 'ls' command again, it lists all the system sound files your iphone uses:

Its a big list, including all the DTMF tones of the phone, text message sounds, low battery noises, etc.

The files we want to focus on are: lock.caf, unlock.caf, and perhaps even low_power.caf.

These are perhaps the 3 most unescapable and most inadvertently played sounds on the phone. The low power will come without warning, and play a distinct 'boop boop boop' sound. Lock and unlock are triggered when you slide to unlock your phone and start using it, or when you press the lock button to set your phone aside.

What we are going to do, is simply rename these files so the iPhone no longer references the correct file when its time to play the sounds.

The command in Terminal to rename files is mv, short for 'move'. However to perform these commands we need elevated user privileges, ie System Administrator access. The command for that is 'su' which means 'switch user'. So we type in 'su' and hit enter, it asks us for a password. <span style="font-weight: bold">The default root password for ALL iphones is 'alpine'.</span> This is a security risk on the side, the password should be changed by the end-user to something else. If you want to do that, now is the time. Type 'passwd' and hit enter. It will prompt you with: 'Changing password for root. Enter new password:' enter a new password, minimum 6 letters, confirm it and move on to the next step. You will notice, when you are logged in as 'root' that your prompt now has a # at the end instead of a $, this means you are using the 'root' account.

So, now for the lock sound, we will type this: mv lock.caf lock-old.caf

it will look like this:
    user:/System/Library/Audio/UISounds/ root# mv lock.caf lock-old.caf

We do the same thing for the other sounds we want to silence.
    mv unlock.caf unlock-old.caf
    mv low_power.caf low_power-old.caf

When you are finished renaming all the sound effects you want to silence, it is time to log out of the root account and restart your phone. Type 'exit' to log out of root, it will revert back to the prompt with the $. At that point you can simply press the home button on the iphone to go back to your main screen. Shut down your phone and restart it so the system can re-initialize and load up its default sounds--this is where it will no longer find the files we renamed and thus not play any sounds for those events.

When its all said and done you can use your iphone now and not have to worry about excess sounds or lights compromising your position.

I know what you may be thinking, 'couldnt I just switch my phone to silent mode?' Yes and no, its only going to silence your ringtone and sms sounds but the regular system sound effects will still play. I know this is a bit steep on the learning curve to accomplish, but its certainly do-able and a useful tweak for the phone. Don't forget, by unlocking your phone you allow yourself access to tons of 3rd party software via Cydia and other repositories, very useful stuff even if you do not plan on silencing your phone.

Re: iPhone 'Stealth Tweaks'

The photoshutter is another sound that can be 'muted', but I didn't feel it was 100% relevant to the subject..PhotoShutter.caf is the filename.

So, if I have Verizon as my current phone provider, I can buy an iphone and jailbreak it to make it work with Verizon? I won't have to change over to AT&T?

If Verizon provides their customers with SIM cards for their phones, yes its a go. I just connected one to T-Mobile yesterday, will ask around to see if someone has connected to Verizon. I'm pretty sure its do-able. Nice thing about the T-mobile service, no contracts and no commitments.

Yes, you can jailbreak and unlock your phone, but you will lose a few features that are not available via anyone other than ATT (visual voice mail chief amongst them).

I have no sim card with my current phone. Is it still possible to get an iphone and jailbreak it to use?

If I did get and jailbreak an iphone and in the future do go to AT&T could I go back to the original settings to get the features only available to AT&T users?

You can still jailbreak the iphone but without a SIM card you will not have a phone service. When you activate a new account the dealer will provide you with a SIM card. I paid 10 bucks for my newest SIM.
    Jailbreaking an iphone is not a permanent mod--you can always restore the iphone to the factory settings. However to use the phone with carriers other than AT&T it is a required procedure.

Re-read the 1st post. Google 'BlackRa1n' and download the program. Plug in your iphone, run the program. Follow the instructions on the screen, run the 'sn0w' unlock program. Install 'Cydia' while you are at it. When you are done, its done. Its just a matter now of signing up with T-Mobile and popping in your new SIM card.

ok, so say I buy a Verizon phone that has a sim card and I have them transfer the phone I use now, the Gzone, to the new phone that has a sim card.

Now I have a Verizon phone that has a sim card, I can now jailbreak the iphone and use it.

Would I have to have a Verizon account that charges the monthly charges for internet access, or would breaking the iphone give me internet access without paying the monthly fees?

Don`t quote me but Verizon & Sprint don't use Sim cards, They use a CDMA Network so all the info is built into the Phone.
    AT`T & T-Mobile are on a GSM Network and use Sim cards.
    2 totally different frequencies so i dont see that working.

You can't "unlock" an iPhone and use it on Verizon. The term unlock only refers to GSM capable phones which only T-mobile and AT&T use. For example, if you buy an AT&T phone, you can only put an AT&T sim card in it, but if you get it unlocked you can put any sim card in it and it will use the service that is associated to that specific sim card. Verizon and Sprint don't use SIM cards in their phones, they use a completely different technology called CDMA and therefore you cannot use any GSM phones on a CDMA carrier. There aren't any iPhones being used on Verizon or Sprint. FYI, I have also heard that you can only jailbreak the original iPhones, not the 3G to be used on T-mobile.

Hello, i am responding to this post in my car using an iphone 3G with 16gb of storage on T-Mobile's service. It is do-able.

ok, it looks like I'll have to switch over to AT&T in the near future.

Tony:
    The problem is that you first have to GET an iPhone. If you do not get one through AT&T, you can buy one out of Hong Kong for about 800$. Most people get one through AT&T and then jail break it after their contract is over with AT&T, at least that is what I have been told. I'm hoping Apple gets so pissed at AT&T (the devil as far as I'm concerned) that they also sign up verizon and watch the competition begin!

Glad you made it back from SHOT in one piece. I'll call you from good ole Illinois this week.

Great info, but I just dial down the brightness and put the phone in "silent" mode.

If I need to use it at night, then all of the usual light discipline rules are in effect.

I have messed with the internal programming of my phones in the past and it always ends badly. I tend to "tinker" too much, and this is anther work tool.

There are a slew of rumors flying around that Verizon is about to get the iPhone anyway, so if you can wait for a bit, it may make more sense to go that route. As previously mentioned, the current GSM iPhone can't be hacked to work on the Verizon network...just other GSM networks (e.g., T-Mobile).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: paulyosh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a slew of rumors flying around that Verizon is about to get the iPhone anyway, so if you can wait for a bit, it may make more sense to go that route. As previously mentioned, the current GSM iPhone can't be hacked to work on the Verizon network...just other GSM networks (e.g., T-Mobile).
    </div></div>

Yeah, I heard the same thing. Supposedly 3rd quarter of this year Verizon will have a CDMA iPhone. Don't know if it is because of the lack of data handling capabilities of AT&T or simply to market to the rest of the cell phone world, but the rumors are 3rd quarter there will be a Verizon iPhone.

That happens, and its "bye bye" AT&T for me, back to Verizon.

And yes, the iPhone is a GSM phone, only works with GSM networks. Verizon is CDMA. Iphone on Verizon right now is a no-go, have to wait it out.

Um..Im confused. Why go through the hassel of renaming sounds when you could just flip the switch on the side to turn off sounds then go into the settings and turn off the vibrate feature when the phone is in silent mode. That should turn all sounds off. Then when your done or whatever flip the switch back and your phone will ring or email chime or whatever. Seems to be much easier. Then again I have yet to be in a situation where I needed to silance my phone except for church.

The silent switch will vibrate to let you know you are in silent mode, but switching back to regular mode does not alert the user. You can inadvertently re-activate sound and wouldn't know until the noise starts. By renaming the sounds they will be silent regardless of whether your phone is on silent mode or not.

That's a good post about hacking the iPhone and installing snow and cydia, BUT it is overkill if all your wanting to do is silence the phone.

1.) Flip the switch on the side
    2.) Disable vibrate......All done!! Much easier and I've never "accidentally" flipped the switch on the side without knowing it and I've had a iPhone since they came out...2G, 3G, and 3GS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tburkes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, if I have Verizon as my current phone provider, I can buy an iphone and jailbreak it to make it work with Verizon? I won't have to change over to AT&T? </div></div>

No you cannot. Verizon is CDMA and the iPhone is a GSM phone, they aren't compatible. iPhone will run on ATT and T-Mobile, as well as any smaller local cell providers that use GSM technology.

NOTE: 3G data service will not work on T-Mobile, only GPRS/EDGE as ATT and T-Mo run different frequencies for their UMTS. The 3G and 3GS iPhone will work on T-Mo after being jailbroken and activated.

With all the acronyms,and abbreviations being slung around, about the only thing I've understood from all of this is that the iphone isn't compatible with Verizon.

That is good news that possibly Verizon may come out with an iphone. I may think about it when that happens.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The silent switch will vibrate to let you know you are in silent mode, but switching back to regular mode does not alert the user. You can inadvertently re-activate sound and wouldn't know until the noise starts. By renaming the sounds they will be silent regardless of whether your phone is on silent mode or not. </div></div>

If you are using you iPhone in those environments (where silence is life or death) then you probably already have it in an Otter Box. There is no way you are "accidentally" doing anything with the mute switch in an Otter box. I have a hard enouh time when I want to do it.

Not to mention when I am in the field my phone is also in a field expedient drybag (ziplock and riggers tape). I have pretty high confidence that when it's on silent/vibrate it's not going to give away my position. Now if they would just make a useable NIGHT mode for Ballistic I would be very happy.

I hear you on the night mode, and the otter box is a valid point that I didn't even consider. If you go to your settings menu and scroll to the bottom, select the Ballistic app settings menu and there is a Skin option: standard or midnight.
    Midnight uses black and grey menus with white text. Its not what I would really consider NV friendly but it is certainly going to produce less glare than the standard white and gray theme. Just a heads up if you haven't seen this feature.

I saw it, but it doesn't change the HUD which is the part you would use
    most in an "operational" setting.

I don really care about it being NV compatible, nor would most snipers using NV since the device would be attached to the rifle, not head mounted.

nv as in 'night vision' friendly, not for use with goggles. Looking at a bright screen in a dark environment is going to ruin your 'night eyes' everytime u focus on the lcd..
    A hud mounted iphone whether it be on a helmet or rifle seems silly.