• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ipod vs Ipad

kraigWY

CMP GSM MI
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2006
Wyoming
Be gentle, I'm an old guy who started out with using a slide rule.

Assuming I was go get a little portable pocket computer (for lack of a better term) to play with balistic programs in the field, do I want an Ipod or Ipad?

And being computer illerate, how hard are they to learn and use.

Take into account, that every time I try to watch a DVD on my TV, I have to get one of the grandkids to switch it back to TV when I'm done.

Or should I just say screw it and go back to something I know, like my M1903a3 (I can shoot that puppy).

Re: Ipod vs Ipad

Easy as can be. Ipad is too big to carry, stick with one of the ipod touch models.

I personally like the huge screen of the Ipad. I would go mess with them at Wal-Mart and see if the screen sizes will work out for you. I opted for the Ipad as you can use it for a lot more things. Has a very nice high resolution screen, faster processor. It is also a ton easier to input values into it. I also generally don't go to far away from my truck when I shoot so the size thing is a moot point for me. If you are going to be rucking it into the back country I would then opt for something smaller or perhaps just a paper dope table or whiz wheel etc...

FYI, the IPOD touch fits in a stock pack with a ton of room to spare. Using an IPAD is akin to using a phone with GIANT buttons (you know, like grandma has!)

Also, why waste the $$$ on the bigger unit when the smaller works just fine.

You can get a used Ipod touch for pretty cheap, just try to find one that is relatively newer. They have an internal battery that does not last forever. Just something to consider if you buy one off of ebay.

The great thing is you have grandkids that can set that thing up, load software in a jiffy. Using it is as easy as a "touch" and the PC software is very intuitive.

Iphone with a Lifeproof case, and you have a water/weather/drop proof field cpu. I have had mine for a year now and it has held up to several camping/hiking/range/hunting trips.

Do you have or use a cell phone?

If so I would jump for a iPhone. It is a iPod which is a phone.

I got my wife a iPod for her birthday last September, then this January we got iPhones. She has not touched her iPod since.

Now we have a iPod collecting dust.

IPAD=$600+ OR IPOD touch=$183... Or just use your Iphone...

+1 for iPod

However. The screens can break/crack if you're not careful with them. At this moment I am not aware of any company that makes good iPod cases.

So, if you're going to be crawling around in the field and getting dirty you may want to look into an iPhone, they have huge aftermarket support for cases and things. Even magpul makes an iPhone case.

I agree with all of these guys if an Iphone works for you it is the best if not the Ipod is all you need. If you look for a used one make sure you get a new enough generation ipod that can accept apps etc.

I carry my iphone in a pelican case. That is the smallest and most rugged available if you are concerned about damage.

I have an Ipad that I use for work and the kids play on it and it is nice to futz around with the apps.

BTW - I really like the shooter app

OK, I'm looking at the "Coldbore" program from Patagonia. What do I need? Will the IPhone work?

I like the ideal of an Iphone replacing my camera, cellphone, and computer.

I'm assuming when I get the program loaded I dont need cell or internet service to use the program.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pawater</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What app do you guys suggest?</div></div>

shooter =9.99$
or
ballistic AE "FTE" 19.99$

in that order...

I know a few people that have Ipads and they might be nice for people with older eyes, however I love my iphone.

As for the internet connection, I have the "shooter" app and it doesn't need internet/cell service for calculations but needs it to get nearby atmospheric data.

Kraig,

Regarding Coldbore:

At one time I used "Loadbase" from Pattagonia and it was a "Windows" operating system based software and I believe the "Coldbore" is the most recent generation product so if I'm correct it will not run on OS (Mac) devices such as the IPhone. If you want to use the Pattagonia products, you will have to use a Windows based PDA for the mobile device (and workstation.) I used a Dell Axiom at the time but there are better devices out (and cheaper.) It's possible that some of the new Windows tablets might run it but someone else will have to chime in on that. I'm currently running FFS on a Nomad but it is a rather large and heavy device compared to a PDA or IPHONE. I'm waiting for Bryan Litz's app to be released for Iphone as it would be nice to have just one device, as you are considering.

Thanks, I think I'll wait or Litz' program also, I like the Berger BC program.

It's not like I need it, its just something else to play with.

It would really suck if I got an Iphone, then spent the money for cold bore and it wouldn't work.

I'll just wait on Bryan. Mean time I'll buy an iphone and learn to use it so I'll be ready.

Thanks again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I think I'll wait or Litz' program also, I like the Berger BC program.

It's not like I need it, its just something else to play with.

It would really suck if I got an Iphone, then spent the money for cold bore and it wouldn't work.

I'll just wait on Bryan. Mean time I'll buy an iphone and learn to use it so I'll be ready.

Thanks again. </div></div>

Wait a week. The new one is coming out and it should have a larger screen.

Kraig,

I have MD Ballistics and Bullet Flight L2 on my iPhone both work great. iPad may be easier on your eyes, when you go into chart mode the numbers can be small. Looking at the battery life might also be a consideration.

I'm in Northern Colorado and would be happy to help you through the learning curve.

Mark