• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

IRA-10D buffer issue / extractor upgrades.

mjsemtex

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2008
nj meadowlands.
rifle is IRA upper and lower in DPMS format, using a magpul PRS. i've already checked to confirm that it's the correct buffer and buffer spring.

120 rounds in and i've noticed the front edge of my buffer is damaged and showing wear.

is there anything i can check / double-check to see what's causing this problem?

also, i'm using a BCG that i originally purchased from fulton armory. are there any upgrades to the extractor similar to what's available for the AR-15 style bolt?

thank you and apologies if there's already a thread covering either of these topics (i did search to no avail).

Re: IRA-10D buffer issue / extractor upgrades.

hows it functioning? does lead exit the muzzle and brass fly from the ejection port?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hows it functioning? does lead exit the muzzle and brass fly from the ejection port? </div></div>

yes, most importantly, projectiles fly in appropriate, predictable directions from both the muzzle and ejection port.

you are probably alright, my ar10 buffer has about 3500 rnds on it and a nice ring on the face. Your lr308 will show wear faster than your ar15. if you are not having functioning issues, save your funds for ammo.

i guess my concern was more that it's not the typical ring from the BCG impact but, marks along the front edges which seems like impact with the buffer retainer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ckirkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">snap some pics </div></div>

This...worth a thousand words! That said, I don't think what you are describing is unusual or problematic if you are talking about the flat face of the buffer getting wear. All buffers will get a ring that forms on them from the back side of the carrier slamming into the face of the buffer, moving around under recoil, and then shoving the carrier back into battery. It is normal and will vary depending on the ammo you use, how heavy a buffer/spring you are using, etc. If you are running a standard 5.4oz LR-308 rifle buffer and standard spring along with heavy loads and/or with a suppressor, your buffer wear and tear will increase exponentially.

If your extractor is working and you aren't experiencing any FTE...well, like the man said..."If it ain't broke...DON'T FIX IT!"

can and will (likely) post some pics this evening.

it's the standard rifle buffer and standard rifle spring.

ammo has been primarily FGGM 168 and 175.

a few pics (albeit pretty awful quality):

IRA_10D_buffer_a.jpg

IRA_10D_buffer_b.jpg

IRA_10D_buffer_c.jpg

IRA_10D_buffer_d.jpg

IRA_10D_buffer_e.jpg

i did pick up a new buffer to keep on hand as a 'spare' if this should happen to cause any major issues. otherwise, i guess i'll keep shooting it and keep an eye on it with every cleaning / session.

Mine has marks but not like that, those look like pretty big gouges. Are there marks anywhere else? Is the retainer beat to shit, chips out of the sides of the buffer tube, marks on the back of the bolt, etc? It has to be hitting something.

Yeah...the "ring" in the middle of the buffer is to be expected. As I said before...it happens as a result of the carrier battering it during cycling which is no big deal. However, the "teeth marks" around the outside edge are not normal...especially for so few rounds through the rifle.

Pull the buffer and spring out of the stock and inspect the following for unusual wear or damage:

1) Buffer retainer (see if the top of the retainer is marred or if the "pin" is bent);
2) Receiver threads for the buffer tube;
3) Look inside your buffer tube for any signs of damage, burrs, etc.

With that kind of wear, I'd expect, at a minimum, that your buffer retainer is taking a beating (I'd be surprised if it isn't bent).

I know you said that you ensured both were correct, but are you absolutely certain that you are running an LR-308 rifle-length buffer and rifle-length recoil spring in your rifle? Have you compared the "spare" and the one you are running to see if there are any differences?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you said that you ensured both were correct, but are you absolutely certain that you are running an LR-308 rifle-length buffer and rifle-length recoil spring in your rifle? Have you compared the "spare" and the one you are running to see if there are any differences? </div></div>

in the pics are the newly purchased LR-308 rifle buffer and rifle buffer spring compared to the beaten one.

IRA_10D_buffer_f.jpg

IRA_10D_buffer_g.jpg

there's nothing obvious in the buffer tube, the retainer doesn't appear damaged and the back of the bolt shows no signs of unusual wear.

I think I see what may be part of the problem...those appear to be AR-15 rifle length recoil springs and NOT LR-308/AR-10 springs.

The LR-308/AR-10 rifle-length recoil springs should be 13.75" in total, uncompressed length with 34 coils. Those look to be around 12.75" in total length with more than 34 coils (spring pic isn't showing up too well on my work computer).

That said, the buffers themselves appear to be correct based on length alone.

would the superior shooting systems AR-10 buffer spring be a safe bet?

superior shooting systems AR-10 buffer spring

the 'replacement' in the above pic was ordered from midway usa as an LR-308 rifle length buffer spring. i'm afraid it would be the same as what i might receive directly from DPMS.

the superior shooting systems catalog lists the same spring for both the AR-10 carbine and rifle...

I like the SSS springs. the compressed vs. relaxed length vs. the actual "in use" length mean the spring is in a neutral or mid range state during cycling and is much more consistant in flexion and extension, basically meaning its more efficient at being a spring in its cycle range than a standard spring. Plus they last forever and are a little quieter.

ETA it is a flatwire spring, and can compress to a much smaller profile, so it will work in a carbine or std lower.

seems that the bolt carrier group is actually sitting forward in the upper receiver rather than being flush with the rear of the upper.

Slash Heavy Buffers is another option they make standard replacement springs and buffers, they also make the heavy springs and buffers. www.heavybuffers.com

also, i had used this complete lower receiver with a DPMS-mfg upper receiver previous to the availability of the IRA uppers and did not experience any of these wear issues.

This is not a buffer issue, the buffer in any ar platform be it 10 or 15 should never during normal operation when the upper is mated and closed with the lower make contact with the detent the detent is only there to hold the buffer from flying out when the upper is removed, therefore any wear on the outer edge like what is occuring here is abnormal, something is not right with the upper.....

IF you have a chance send the rifle to us and we can go over the whole weapon. we have never run into this problem. send us your phone number and I will go over the details with you.
thx
IRA Co

Does the rear of the bolt carrier supposed to contact the buffer as you close it together in any AR rifle???? so the buffer doesnt rest on the buffer retaining pin?

I think all my AR15s dont touch the buffer when you close the upper to the lower. Seems like the buffer is really being torn up by the retaining pin As if the buffer itself is too soft of a material...maybe defective buffer? Try a steel one from heavybuffers.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iron Ridge Arms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IF you have a chance send the rifle to us and we can go over the whole weapon. we have never run into this problem. send us your phone number and I will go over the details with you.
thx
IRA Co </div></div>

thank you. i also saw your return e-mail and hope to be in touch later today.

waiting on the completion (hopefully soon) of IRA's GEN 2 upper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
a gen2 upper?
</div></div>

yes, that's what i was told by oliver at IRA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Mine are working great
</div></div>

i wish i could say the same... this thread indicates the issue i was having with mine. i was in early on the lower and then in early on the 10D upper.

obviously, not happy with the abnormal buffer wear.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fastford</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what changes are made to the gen 2 upper? </div></div>

not sure... they'd (iron ridge) would have to answer that question.

was waiting for the replacement of my upper with the 'gen 2' model but, was told that it wouldn't solve this issue as that was 'normal' wear on all AR weapons.

was not pleased with this response and expressed displeasure.

was offered a repair of the rifle or a 100% refund.

accepted the offer of the refund.

currently waiting for UPS to deliver the return of my barrel and other parts.

currently waiting on my refund that i would've expected would be immediately... not 'as soon as possible'.

Wasn't there another post about an issue like this???

I was following it and it is gone for some reason??????

eek.gif