• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Iray and AGM Experience Needed

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    Edited to also include Iray, specifically the Rico line of scopes. Don’t hear much about them here but saw they have a 5 year warranty and pretty good reviews.

Would also like to get some feedback from folks who have used the rattler 640 scopes. I ran across these while researching a new tws but not sure about AGM’s reputation.

I’m looking at moving to a 640 dedicated scope and trying to decide the best value right now. I’m not interested in the S35 for several reasons.

Last edited:
    Reactions: moosemeat
    I have several friends with and I have sampled almost all of the AGM rattler scopes.
    They are good scopes, but while the single mount is feasible, the double mount has a more repeatable zero, so that would be an add on unless you find one that comes with a double mount.
    I detest 123 batteries, so I sold my rattler and Bering optics hogster.
    The new Varmint series uses 18650 batteries and that's a trend that I hope Bering optics will get on because their scopes are great, but their stuck in 123 land or you need to carry around an external battery pack to power it, which will also leave the scope open to the environment for possible scope or port damage.
    I am told that there will be new offerings from manufacturers next month.
    If your not in a hurry, you could get a deal on an older model scope.

SJC

Interesting in regards to new offerings. I’m not in a hurry so I’ll give it a little bit and see.

I’m with you on the batteries. I don’t use 123’s. I saw the SY has an extender that uses rechargeables which I like. I’ve never tried the battery packs.

I have several friends with and I have sampled almost all of the AGM rattler scopes.
    They are good scopes, but while the single mount is feasible, the double mount has a more repeatable zero, so that would be an add on unless you find one that comes with a double mount.
    I detest 123 batteries, so I sold my rattler and Bering optics hogster.
    The new Varmint series uses 18650 batteries and that's a trend that I hope Bering optics will get on because their scopes are great, but their stuck in 123 land or you need to carry around an external battery pack to power it, which will also leave the scope open to the environment for possible scope or port damage.
    I am told that there will be new offerings from manufacturers next month.
    If your not in a hurry, you could get a deal on an older model scope.

SJC
    I'm all about 18650's as well. Crazy they aren' t the standard for this type of optic.

I don’t have any experience with the rattler scope, but regarding the comments concerning the batteries:
    My Hogster scope also takes the 123 batteries so I have been using an ANKER battery bank. It’s a square block about the size of a deck of playing cards and holds 10,000 Milla amps. I attach it to my A.R. 15 stock with a couple of Ranger bands and run a short micro C cable with a right angle connector to my scope.

This has been working well for mewith no problems.

Reactions: Rerun7
    Edited to also include Iray, specifically the Rico line of scopes. Don’t hear much about them here but saw they have a 5 year warranty and pretty good reviews.
    Been playing around with the RICO Alpha 640 optic in the hills of Idaho (where it's freezing).
    Over the summer I was using a RH25 as a clip-on in front of an ACOG 3x as well as a standalone, and I'm still undecided whether I prefer a clip-on or a dedicated magnified scope like the Alpha. Honestly, I think that RH25 is a nice sweet spot for a do-it-all unit, but I wanted to try native magnification. For straight up hunting at 100 yard+ distances, it's nice to have that closer view, but I appreciated being able to scan with zero mag and take close shots at vermin close in (sub 50). Of course, anyone can appreciate the lighter weight and small envelope of the RH25. That said, here's some video samples straight out of the Alpha:

Reactions: WhereNow&How