• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision IRay RH25 Micro video/picture thread

The iRay RL25 Rico doesn’t hardly get any notice. It’s the same chassis as the RH25 except with a 384 core and 2X native mag. Which is interesting because it has literally the same image quality (identical objective diameter, pixel density, detection range, and Clip-on shooting distance capability) at the expense of 40% less FOV. But the advantage of being $3000 cheaper...

You can buy a Gen3 PVS14, RL25, and bridge mount CHEAPER than just the RH25 and still have the same PID and clip-on shooting distance capability.

If most people aren’t getting good visual fusion (if at all) from 1X stand-alone thermals paired with a PVS14... then why get hung up on the 1X base magnification of the thermal when you can save 50% and still have the same image quality? Sure, the extra FOV of the 640 core is nice... but is it $3000 nicer? Navigate with the PVS alone, flip the thermal down & close your PVS-eye to scan, and if you see something you want to shoot either engage with your laser/illuminator/RDS or pop the thermal in front of your scope and take that shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikefraz
The iRay RL25 Rico doesn’t hardly get any notice. It’s the same chassis as the RH25 except with a 384 core and 2X native mag. Which is interesting because it has literally the same image quality (identical objective diameter, pixel density, detection range, and Clip-on shooting distance capability) at the expense of 40% less FOV. But the advantage of being $3000 cheaper...

You can buy a Gen3 PVS14, RL25, and bridge mount CHEAPER than just the RH25 and still have the same PID and clip-on shooting distance capability.

If most people aren’t getting good visual fusion (if at all) from 1X stand-alone thermals paired with a PVS14... then why get hung up on the 1X base magnification of the thermal when you can save 50% and still have the same image quality? Sure, the extra FOV of the 640 core is nice... but is it $3000 nicer? Navigate with the PVS alone, flip the thermal down & close your PVS-eye to scan, and if you see something you want to shoot either engage with your laser/illuminator/RDS or pop the thermal in front of your scope and take that shot.
I agree, except I don’t think the RL25 is clip-on capable. It will do stand-along weapon sight, but not clip on.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I agree, except I don’t think the RL25 is clip-on capable. It will do stand-along weapon sight, but not clip on.
The documentation says clip on and it has the same body and adapters...

Attachments

• E35D27AD-61C6-4791-9F42-484DE9821C0D.jpeg
    E35D27AD-61C6-4791-9F42-484DE9821C0D.jpeg
    196.6 KB · Views: 91
The IRAY USA Spec sheet for the RH25 and RL25 shows only the RH25 has clip-on capability. Someone with more knowledge may be able to explain, but I thought I read it had something to do with the base 2x mag of the RL25.
Base magnification on the clip-on wouldn’t be a problem assuming it still has the collimating correction feature in the menu. Whether a clip-onthermal collimates a 2X or 1X image POI to your scope’s POA doesn’t matter; it’s still zeroed. The only problem you really run into is stadiametric reticles and scope click values would no longer work as intended... but just double or halve the values as required and you’re back in business.

Of course if the 640 core RH25 is only ideal up to about 4x to 6x or so max day optic magnification, then it stands to reason the 384 core RL25 would go to shit after about 2X to 3x day optic magnification... not many 2X to 3x LPVOs out there. But it would be pretty badass in front of a TA33 or TA11 with a piggyback RMR; passive ITT NV through the tall red dot and thermal through the optic.

Reactions: WhereNow&How
Im sure the 2x minimum magnification is what prevents that.
I can assure you that having 2x native magnification will not prevent it from being used as a clip-on if you can move the margins.

The European version of the ML 25 does have the ability to be used as a clip on.

Infiray's home pages are a mess. Lots of errors in the data presented for different models.

Confucius say: Confucius confused.

Reactions: Namekagon
Makes you wonder if they can wire them thermals up correctly. :LOL:

While it appears they are making some pretty decent thermal units, there inability to get specs for different models correct, combined with the errors in their Owners Manuals is concerning.

So I guess having UNV handling the product in the US is an excellent thing, because they will get it straightened out.

Sharpen up on your Mandarin and get them to send you a Owners Manual in that. Maybe it is written better and easier to understand. :LOL:
I'm inclined to think the manual was written in America, by Americans. It's quite comprehensive, but the decision to let Charlie Conspiracy design it was ill-advised. Here's an example:

The unit ships with the reticle turned off. Ready to turn set up the reticle? Open the manual, and go to Step 7 on Page 9. Wait first go to Page 42 to set units of measure. The back to Page 9, which tells you to go to Page 43 to set the zeroing profile. Hey guess what the menu icon mentioned on Page 43 Step 2 doesn’t exist. Back to Page 9. Ok now go to Page 35 to set the reticle style. It didn’t work, did it? Go back to Page 9, which says now go to Page 36. Now it works! Back to Page 9, then back to 35 to set a reticle style. Now back to 9, which says to turn to Page 37 to set the zero distance. Guess what, fuck face? The menu icon on 37 isn't on the scope. Go back to Page 9. Realize that step was actually on Page 43. Go to 43. Sweet it works now. Back to 9, which says now go to Page 38 to zero the reticle. Page 38 says go to 43. Doesn’t exist, does it? Nope. Find it yourself; now back to 38. Go to Step 2. Now go to Page 37. You already know it’s not there, so skip 37 and fix it yourself. Back to 38, Step 4. POI change interface interface doesn’t exist? *Surprised face* Just figure it out yourself.

Last edited:
Read the books: Chinese Fire Drill by Sum Ting Wong or Spot On The Wall by Ho Fling Ding. Maybe that will help. :LOL:

I really think that a Breach would cover your helmet mounted scanning needs so you don’t have to give up any performance in the weapon mounted thermal category. That 50mm objective on the super Yoter really does something performance-wise that can’t be duplicated with a small objective lense thermal.

Plus you are talking about pulling off the RH25 to use on a helmet and back to rifle again for shots. You might as well just QD the super Yoter off and scan with it, and then mount it again once you found your target. Loss of zero is a non issue. If you don’t want to scan with the yoter off, then just get a helmet mounted unit and be done with it.

I would much rather have 1 HMT & 1 RMT instead of a unit that has to go back and forth from helmet to rifle all the time. Sounds nifty until you are in the field, in the dark, swapping everything around before a shot on something.

From a guy who wanted a RH25 until I picked up a super Yoter. I’ve owned the MH25 and wasn’t impressed (to say it nicely), it made me hesitant to drop $6k on the RH25. Especially if the screen and menu are the same size as the MH25. I have a feeling the RH25 does everything, just not well.

The RH25 absolutely has its place I think. If my situation dictated a absolute minimalist and lightweight setup, with only room in a bag for 1 thermal, I would likely opt for it. It seems to shine in more of a “tactical” role as opposed to a serious hunting role. Something you could keep in your chest rig and use whenever a situation called for it.

All of the above is just my humble opinion, and coming from more of a practical use/hunting perspective. No possible WW3 on US soil scenarios are dictating my decision making processes…. Yet.
I would agree with this. A thermal of this type is suited for "room clearing"/CBQ distances. You can get hits with it at distance, but you will start to pixelated pretty heavily from 3x optical mag and up.

That being said, to me if you are going to have one thermal to do the job of many, there isn't anything better in that price category (to my knowledge). I like thermals of this use case, as it is a true "to go" piece of kit to make for a more sound load out. For hunting purposes, it'll do it for close distances on hogs, but not so much for coyotes.

I do believe that every should have an RH25-esque thermal in their inventory for the more serious individual.

Should this be your only thermal? If it's in your budget for two, then absolutely not. If you had to choose one night optic for "prepper" scenario, then a PVS is what you need. If you can afford a thermal on top of that, then something like the RH25 is what should be had.

This came up over on Arfcom, so figured I could repost here as well - concerns were raised about the unit "flickering" or "malfunctioning" under recoil. I haven't experienced anything I haven't also seen in other thermals that have onboard recording - it looks like very normal behavior to me.

Here's a single unsuppressed 5.56 round being fired handheld at 100yd the other night, slowed down to 10% normal speed, showing the unit auto-exposing much darker when hit with the hot muzzle blast, then ramping back up to normal exposure quite quickly. You can even see a flash on the steel where the round impacted. The 50fps onboard recording on the RH25 makes this super easy to record and share.

oRMRMOj.gif

And then full-speed -
akiEdVD.gif

It would be cool if clip-on software allowed you to dial in some correction for that behavior. Like "a flash must be longer than 3 frames before the auto-gain darkens the image" or something.

Also that Disney video is hilarious, I'm picturing you in line for a ride like

IMG_4740.jpg

Forgot to post this tonight

You knocked the ball out of the park with the vid JW. Because of all the varied and detailed scenery, this vid shows to a much higher level just how well the RH 25 performs. Very impressive indeed. (y)

Reactions: mikefraz
This came up over on Arfcom, so figured I could repost here as well - concerns were raised about the unit "flickering" or "malfunctioning" under recoil. I haven't experienced anything I haven't also seen in other thermals that have onboard recording - it looks like very normal behavior to me.

Here's a single unsuppressed 5.56 round being fired handheld at 100yd the other night, slowed down to 10% normal speed, showing the unit auto-exposing much darker when hit with the hot muzzle blast, then ramping back up to normal exposure quite quickly. You can even see a flash on the steel where the round impacted. The 50fps onboard recording on the RH25 makes this super easy to record and share.

oRMRMOj.gif

And then full-speed -
akiEdVD.gif
I wonder if the Hogsters and Yoters do that video flicker thing. I admit, I’ve never used any of the random features like pictures/videos/Bluetooth/app on mine. I just shoot.

Personally, I can’t wait for an “ECOTI” Type video transmitter that projects an image into your tubes thats bluetoothed over from a weapon-mounted clip-on. Like a HUD overlay; just stick your gun up over cover or around the corner and start scanning/blasting from near complete cover. Technically, the ECOTI image projector could do it, it just needs a BT receiver and video decoder... most of the modern clip ins and scopes already can transmit live streams via WiFi/BT.

I recently received mine and really haven't had time to do anything with it other then power on and read manual... Can anyone tell me where to find/ order one of these? On page 13 of the manual. I could have swore someone made mention of it before but couldn't find it. Thank you in advance.
PXL_20220430_115146752.MP~3.jpg

I recently received mine and really haven't had time to do anything with it other then power on and read manual... Can anyone tell me where to find/ order one of these? On page 13 of the manual. I could have swore someone made mention of it before but couldn't find it. Thank you in advance. View attachment 7859784
Not available yet. Plans to produce, but no ETA.

Seems like it might be hard to access the menu buttons with that bracket on top and it snapped into a helmet mount.

I think UNV RICO MICRO PICTAIL Helmet/Weapon Shoe that bolts to the bottom and snaps into a helmet mount looks like the better option to me. That would put the menu buttons on the bottom and they should be more accessible there.

What sayeth Brotha Horta. Am I on the right track with that assumption. ?

new to nv and thermals, and looking for HMT.

If I dont plan on using as a clip on, is it worth to get this over the MH25?? Mainly would be used as a scanner for hunting.

concerns were raised about the unit "flickering" or "malfunctioning" under recoil. I haven't experienced anything I haven't also seen in other thermals that have onboard recording - it looks like very normal behavior to me.

I think the concern is a little overblown as far as actual use goes. I captured some video of the RH25 RICO MICRO last week to see if recoil made the screen flicker. I imported the footage directly into Final Cut ProX at native resolution, and slowed it down 50%. Couldn't see any problems. So I slowed it down to 25% speed, and finally around 15% to 12% or so, I caught what we're talking about: Manually advancing the video counter frame-by-frame, I counted four to six frames that exhibited horizontal lines under full recoil (12.5" suppressed 5.56m AR-type with M855).
However, using my eyeball at 100% speed (that is to say "in normal use by a human") I couldn't / didn't notice any blurring or distortion in the display. The rifle is pretty much in full recoil / jumped off target, and muzzle bloom is going on during that sequence-time as well, so by the time I'm re-acquiring target, the distortion is long gone.
If this means there could be better potting or recoil abatement, or if that affects long-term durability, I guess that's up to be discovered, but in real-world (even at half-speed slowmo) you aren't going to see any glitching.

Edit to add: the OEM recoil-abating mount is obviously going to soak up some recoil. Maybe it's there for a reason... I mentioned I made a carbon-fiber adapter earlier, but I made another out of a material that has a little more flex in it, maybe that'll soften things a bit too, worth a try.
Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 8.21.19 PM.png

Last edited:
I think the concern is a little overblown as far as actual use goes. I captured some video of the RH25 RICO MICRO last week to see if recoil made the screen flicker. I imported the footage directly into Final Cut ProX at native resolution, and slowed it down 50%. Couldn't see any problems. So I slowed it down to 25% speed, and finally around 15% to 12% or so, I caught what we're talking about: Manually advancing the video counter frame-by-frame, I counted four to six frames that exhibited horizontal lines under full recoil (12.5" suppressed 5.56m AR-type with M855).
However, using my eyeball at 100% speed (that is to say "in normal use by a human") I couldn't / didn't notice any blurring or distortion in the display. The rifle is pretty much in full recoil / jumped off target, and muzzle bloom is going on during that sequence-time as well, so by the time I'm re-acquiring target, the distortion is long gone.
If this means there could be better potting or recoil abatement, or if that affects long-term durability, I guess that's up to be discovered, but in real-world (even at half-speed slowmo) you aren't going to see any glitching.
Yep, same here. For whatever reason I got a ton of IG messages from folks all worried that it was really bad under recoil. Just looking for problems I guess. My only issue is the US price 😬

Hecque, Flir units do just about the same thing. Haven't had any of those fail from recoil.

Not available yet. Plans to produce, but no ETA

Thanks for the reply and i agree.. just trying to make sure i have a solution to the "jelly" effect because going from Nox18 to this I def notice it. Also i found it strange I could not find it. I also have 2 other questions im hoping someone can help me with.

Can you use/install pvs14 upgrade eyepiece on this unit like RH25?

Also confused on if you have to buy the dovetail and the weapon mount separately. Reviews ive watched say it comes with them but pictures on website doesn't show them with the unit. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply and i agree.. just trying to make sure i have a solution to the "jelly" effect because going from Nox18 to this I def notice it. Also i found it strange I could not find it. I also have 2 other questions im hoping someone can help me with.

Can you use/install pvs14 upgrade eyepiece on this unit like RH25?

Also confused on if you have to buy the dovetail and the weapon mount separately. Reviews ive watched say it comes with them but pictures on website doesn't show them with the unit. Thanks.

Thats going to be a big no on the eye piece. The whole reason why this is usable as a clip on...is because of the eye peice design. If you have a PVS 14, hold it infront of an LPVO and zoom into the pvs 14 eye peice..... and you'll notice very quickly why it doesn't work.

Well I bought one and my soul feels dirty.. I am trying to put this in front of my 1-8 nx8 in a badger comm 1.70 using the ADM qd setup on the rh25. Will the 1.7 mount be a big issue with the 1.5 rh25? I cant find a 1.54 badger comm in stock anywhere.

Well I bought one and my soul feels dirty.. I am trying to put this in front of my 1-8 nx8 in a badger comm 1.70 using the ADM qd setup on the rh25. Will the 1.7 mount be a big issue with the 1.5 rh25? I cant find a 1.54 badger comm in stock anywhere.
Probably depends on the quality of rice the workers were given that week.

It shouldn’t matter but some folks have had interesting issues with other units.

I’m curious how the 1-8 does with it because I’m eyeing that or the PLX C and would like to run a clip on in front of it as well. The FD MX reticle in the NX8 is long overdue

Probably depends on the quality of rice the workers were given that week.
With millions and millions of the Chinese population locked into their homes these days, I imagine things are starting to look like this.

9891157.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: rlsmith1
I'll report back this weekend, although I am running the old nx8.

You could also try and find a .2" riser mount to add to the AD 1.5" mount IF there is an alignment issue.

Interested in your findings once you try it with the .2 mismatch. Hope it works as is...

Reactions: Ranger93
Shortest riser I ever seen was 0.5”

ADM makes the EOTech risers at .25” and .4” but they likely won’t work for what you need.

Last edited:
So I'm running off @Travis224 's idea of using the nox mount which is just an acog mount I believe? Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. If thats the case shouldnt this work? https://www.admmfg.com/ad-b5-base 1.80 centerline with a acog and I think the rh25 should sit a bit lower. I will report back when everything gets here, would rather avoid stacking mounts on mounts. Ideally I would just drop my current optic mount to 1.54 but I am fairly invested in the badger comm system and like the design.

I find the same with the NOX; I can scan an entire hillside at a glance to see if there is anything worth inspecting further>Definitely a strong suit of these types of thermals! Better sensors and processing only makes them more powerful

No issues with the dual qd mount (I believe its a 1.5) and my nx8 at 1.70.

First impressions of the RH25, looks like a really solid and well built unit. My biggest complaint with the MH25 was the cheap housing and switch design, definitely a step in the right direction with the RH. I will spend some time with it tonight and get some through the optic pictures.

No issues with the dual qd mount (I believe its a 1.5) and my nx8 at 1.70.

First impressions of the RH25, looks like a really solid and well built unit. My biggest complaint with the MH25 was the cheap housing and switch design, definitely a step in the right direction with the RH. I will spend some time with it tonight and get some through the optic pictures.
Would love to see pics on the rifle too if you don’t mind. Should clear IR devices right?

Reactions: XCHITOWNCOPPER