• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Suppressors Is a suppressor worth it if you need to wear ear pro anyway

ear plugs plus earmuffs. even then, if someone shows up at our club range,with a muzzle brake on a high velocity calibre rifle, I go home. Can't handle it, hearing is bad enough as it is, but it can get worse. Shooting something like a .243 or .308 with a muzzle brake, next to other shooters, is very impolite.

Reactions: kthomas
is worth the expense and hassle if I will have to wear hearing protection anyway.
55852517.jpg

ear plugs plus earmuffs. even then, if someone shows up at our club range,with a muzzle brake on a high velocity calibre rifle, I go home. Can't handle it, hearing is bad enough as it is, but it can get worse. Shooting something like a .243 or .308 with a muzzle brake, next to other shooters, is very impolite.
It is, however, somewhat humorous to see the other shooters prairie dog out from behind the partitions when you let loose with a long action cartridge at an indoor range.

It is, however, somewhat humorous to see the other shooters prairie dog out from behind the partitions when you let loose with a long action cartridge at an indoor range.
I've had some fun times with my braked .300NM when clueless people show up to the range and go under the covered firing line without ear pro.

I don't have much patience for incompetence...

There is a fair bit of information coming out that suggests that even with really good hearing protection, the concussion wave from a muzzle brake can cause hearing loss due to the bone conduction from the pressure wave.

Shooting with a suppressor & hearing protection may help protect your hearing a lot longer.

Also you might wind up shooting a bit better because the stress from the blast doesn't keep hitting you.
I believe that.

Also
Should also wear protection around supersonic even suppressed

I bet over the ear protects better than those little ear plug style electronic hearing protection I see people wear

After shooting 2 PRS matches in NY under a tin roof with 60+ shooters all within the confines of about a 25 yard wide firing line, ABSOLUTELY!

After that day I felt like I was back in the boxing ring for 6 rounds of practice. Massive headache, tinitius screeching in my ear (we were at a super quiet campground afterwards so it made it sound way worse) my eyes physically hurt for two days, and my whole body felt beat up like I had rucked for 5k. That's with foam ear plugs and over the ear muffs.

Compare that to a national 2 day match in a free state, out in the open and I shot it all suppressed. I felt relaxed, rested, I could probably shoot another 4 stages that day. My head didn't have any brain fog, my ears felt great, I felt great.

I also do a lot of unsuccesful coyote hunting on a buddys property at 11PM-2AM and he lives only a quarter mile away from where I hunt. I need to wake him up when my .308 sounds slightly louder than a .22LR.

I was in the same boat as the OP… and I didn’t want to spend $1000 and wait a year, but I broke down and did it in January 2021, got my first can in December 2021 and now I have 3 lol.

I really have no want or need to shoot unsuppressed. Plus, they are just that damn cool

Reactions: TacosGigante
The reduction in concussion alone is worth it for me. As others have said, I find I'm a lot less fatigued after a day of shooting with a can.

At this point I have no desire to ever shoot unsuppressed again and hopefully can have a dedicated suppressor for each firearm in the future.

The reduction in concussion alone is worth it for me. As others have said, I find I'm a lot less fatigued after a day of shooting with a can.

At this point I have no desire to ever shoot unsuppressed again and hopefully can have a dedicated suppressor for each firearm in the future.

People fuss so much over decibel numbers, when arguably the biggest benefit of suppressors is the concussion mitigation.

In some cases, having the quietest can may be a benefit. But usually I don't care if there's a 5 dB difference between suppressors - the most pleasant aspect of suppressors is still there.