• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best home defense is no suppressor? / zero distance

"Overall, 61% of offenders were unarmed when burglarizing a home
while residents were present and violence occurred (table 18).
Household members faced an offender with a firearm in about 12%
of all households burglarized while someone was home and
violence occurred."

It's older data. 2000-2007. Linked the info below. Actually a informative read.

Then I would say plan to grab your ear pro, and throw a vest on. Make sure you test the clacker on your claymore. You have tested them right??

I always remember people saying "don't modify your gun" if you use it in a self defense shoot. They will say you planned to shoot some one. Bam, guilty..

So if I'm putting on ear pro, I'm definitely planning on popping rounds off.

Do what you plan, and plan what you CAN do.

Oh my gosh! You heard regular old rifle fire at the range once? You poor thing!
I'll bow to your infinitely superior expertise.

NOT. ;)
Jesus, where do you assholes come from? Arfcom or is there a club you're all members of?

Reactions: tyman
You will be if you try what that retard is suggesting, professor. I was dumb enough to expose an ear to regular old rifle fire let alone an SBR in something like a hallway.

My shit was ringing non stop for hours and that's not even what that fool was advocating. But hey, to each his own, you want to run a short rifle unsuppressed in your house to make it "harder on the bad guys ears"

Go for it.

Did you get PTSD?

This brave reporter got PTSD when he shot one indoors 😂

Jesus, where do you assholes come from? Arfcom or is there a club you're all members of?
I like how it says "Harbinger of Sarcasm" under your screen name but as soon as you encounter sarcasm it's "Holy crap what's wrong with you!". LOL.

In all seriousness I get your complaint because there's a handful of people here who're dickheads on a regular basis, and I'm not one of those guys. However, your assertion about hearing is akin to a little boy concerned about cutting his finger when people are talking about swordfighting. It's making a big deal out of something minor.

Have you never hunted without ear protection or a suppressor? Granted that's not indoors, but still - generations of men in this country have been doing that, but you heard a gunshot once without protection and think you know all about it? How about all the Teams guys who served before it was common to use suppressors? Or a lot of other guys who saw combat? You don't think they stopped and put on ear muffs do you, or lost their battles because they all went deaf?

Just sayin, back up a minute and consider that maybe your experience in this matter is not as complete as you thought. There's no shame in admitting a mistake, but plenty in doubling down on stupid. 🤷‍♂️

I like how it says "Harbinger of Sarcasm" under your screen name but as soon as you encounter sarcasm it's "Holy crap what's wrong with you!". LOL.

In all seriousness I get your complaint because there's a handful of people here who're dickheads on a regular basis, and I'm not one of those guys. However, your assertion about hearing is akin to a little boy concerned about cutting his finger when people are talking about swordfighting. It's making a big deal out of something minor.

Have you never hunted without ear protection or a suppressor? Granted that's not indoors, but still - generations of men in this country have been doing that, but you heard a gunshot once without protection and think you know all about it? How about all the Teams guys who served before it was common to use suppressors? Or a lot of other guys who saw combat? You don't think they stopped and put on ear muffs do you, or lost their battles because they all went deaf?

Just sayin, back up a minute and consider that maybe your experience in this matter is not as complete as you thought. There's no shame in admitting a mistake, but plenty in doubling down on stupid. 🤷‍♂️

Are we really arguing that unprotected hearing when firing guns isn't going to cause damage? If it's one or two shots, it can still cause permanent damage.

With that said, am I going to suppress my HD weapon because I'm worried about 1-2 shots partially and potentially ruining my hearing for life? No. Also no, I wouldn't not suppress my HD weapon because I think it's going to do more good than bad towards the intruder.....lmao.

Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head (I wrote a lot more but then deleted it, so there is always more to think about). Big thing is have a plan, have a backup plan and rehearse those plans, rehearse those plans with your family.
There are a lot of factors to think about in regards to reacting to someone breaking into your home to rob, kill or do other.
Mental acuity when waking up, getting that "sleep" out of your eyes or cobwebs out of your head (however you want to phrase it).
Gaining an understanding of the situation, where is the threat, is it a threat, how are you determining he and/or she is a threat (voice, sight, sound) or did the neighbor get drunk and wander into your house on accident and passed out on the couch (happened), is it your kid sneaking back home (happened), did your ex decide to try and SWAT you, where are your children and/or spouse in relation to you and the potential threat?
Neighbors, do you like them, what is beyond your threat?
There is a lot to think about in these scenarios and a lot to do. So, do you really think you will have time to dawn all your kit when someone enters your house or when you realize that someone has entered your house. How far is your room from points of entry in your house? 15, 20, 30 feet from maybe a front or back door? How quickly can someone close that distance from points of entry to the bedroom, how quickly can someone be standing outside of your bedroom door or enter your bedroom before you realize what is occurring (do you turn on a home alarm when you go to bed, do you lock your bedroom doors, do you have dogs)?

Oh, loosing your hearing isn't all bad. If you can get use to the constant ringing, it is pretty peaceful;)

286BBCEF-9ABC-42FC-98F0-D070CDF2BE55.jpeg

Here’s a thread summary. Apologies to @Cowpokey for ripping off his excellent meme.

Are we really arguing that unprotected hearing when firing guns isn't going to cause damage? If it's one or two shots, it can still cause permanent damage.

With that said, am I going to suppress my HD weapon because I'm worried about 1-2 shots partially and potentially ruining my hearing for life? No. Also no, I wouldn't not suppress my HD weapon because I think it's going to do more good than bad towards the intruder.....lmao.

Are we really struggling with reading comprehension still?

You answered your own question about my comments. Don't make up a different argument than what I actually said.

Dammit, now I need a shower gun
I took my M9 (used my lanyard to hang it off the shower head) into the showers at FOB Kalsu in Iraq when we had a foreign national contractor that was assaulting males and stabbed one in an attack. They eventually caught the guy.

I took my M9 (used my lanyard to hang it off the shower head) into the showers at FOB Kalsu in Iraq when we had a foreign national contractor that was assaulting males and stabbed one in an attack. They eventually caught the guy.
Suppressor or ear muffs?

Suppressor or ear muffs?
Neither for the M9 (but I also have hearing aids now), would have liked a suppressor for that one. In that case being alert and aware was key.
I did have a can in theater for my M4, I didn't like the forward weight of it so I tended to not use it (heavy old Gemtech).
3977697782_88d60eb71e_c.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
Exactly that, theory. Theory put forth by a dumb fuck guntoober.

You ever hear unsuppressed gunfire in an enclosed space, rifle fire at that? He obviously hasn't.

You're going to be fucking deaf. How do you hear your wife or child calling for help afterwards? How do you communicate and move effectively from additional threats if you can't fucking hear because your ears are bleeding?

Stop listening to assholes on YouTube.

Be a pro. Suppress the gun, put the bad guy down, save your hearing... ya might still need it after the shooting. Might be additional bad guys. Might have a wounded family member. Might have a scared shitless child that ran out the door that you have to go find in the darkness now.

If the cops take your can you'll get it back. Be a pro and don't worry about dumb shit like that. End the threat, win the day.

Fuckin' shoot unsuppressed to make the concussion worse for the bad guy, Jesus Christ that might have been the DUMBEST thing I ever saw on the Internet. 🙄
Each incident I was involved in, all can remember is hearing a pop pop pop. In one of those the shooter fired a .357 inside a car. I felt a numbness but no pain in the ear that faced the shot. My partner fired his .38 into the shooters face ending the fight. It happened so fast I barely got the car stopped before it was over. In combat you don't have time to worry about the noise, you've got a whole lot more on your mind. I have tendinitis after to much exposure to gun fire but you don't realize it until later on.
The world got along with out the suppressor for a long time. Having one on your weapon isn't a bad thing if you can afford it but it's not something you can't live without. Ignore the call of duty commandos and the rifle range heroes their full of more shit than a Xmas goose.

I’ve noticed there’s a portion of the gun community that’s practically terrified of hearing gunfire indoors. Convinced it’ll make them deaf, like our pal above.

I don’t remember people making such a big deal about that 10-15 years ago. Anyone know where that silliness came from? It’s gotta be someone like Aboob, or Gunsite maybe?

See if I was a dick like he was I would mock your "tendonitis" just to show how clever I can be. I'm assuming you meant tinnitus. You guys think you're bestowing some knowledge on me like I don't know what auditory exclusion is or I've never been in a hairy spot in my life.

I don't make those assumptions about others but at this point in my life/career I don't care to argue with chest thumpers (not referring to you here).

You're making my point for me with your experience. After these incidents you're suffering from permanent hearing damage but never heard more than a pop at the time. So taking a rifle like jack wagon from YouTube said and trying to make it more uncomfortable isn't likely to work based off your experience then, is it?

You're arguing the same thing. I think your chances for the ear ringing, temporary or permanent, after opening up with an SBR/ar pistol inside a confined space like a hallway or house sized room are pretty high.

I tend to look at how that reduces my ability to look after my loved ones, which was the point of that whole ridiculous scenario that YouTube tard had posted.

I never said they were something you had to have, or couldn't possibly function without. I said the idea that you would have it available, and elect not to use it, deliberately, per this retard on YouTubes suggestion... because that would give you a leg up in a gunfight inside your house, was a fundamentally fucking retarded idea. I stand by that assessment.

I'm glad you came through all that you described alright, albeit with some tinnitus.

See if I was a dick like he was I would mock your "tendonitis" just to show how clever I can be. I'm assuming you meant tinnitus. You guys think you're bestowing some knowledge on me like I don't know what auditory exclusion is or I've never been in a hairy spot in my life.

I don't make those assumptions about others but at this point in my life/career I don't care to argue with chest thumpers (not referring to you here).

You're making my point for me with your experience. After these incidents you're suffering from permanent hearing damage but never heard more than a pop at the time. So taking a rifle like jack wagon from YouTube said and trying to make it more uncomfortable isn't likely to work based off your experience then, is it?

You're arguing the same thing. I think your chances for the ear ringing, temporary or permanent, after opening up with an SBR/ar pistol inside a confined space like a hallway or house sized room are pretty high.

I tend to look at how that reduces my ability to look after my loved ones, which was the point of that whole ridiculous scenario that YouTube tard had posted.

I never said they were something you had to have, or couldn't possibly function without. I said the idea that you would have it available, and elect not to use it, deliberately, per this retard on YouTubes suggestion... because that would give you a leg up in a gunfight inside your house, was a fundamentally fucking retarded idea. I stand by that assessment.

I'm glad you came through all that you described alright, albeit with some tinnitus.
🙄
No, what you really said was “you’ll be deaf” if you do what Lovell said. And then added that you once heard a gunshot without ear protection.

But sure, backpedal and pretend you said something else, instead of being man enough to just admit you spouted off without thinking.

Are we really struggling with reading comprehension still?

You answered your own question about my comments. Don't make up a different argument than what I actually said.
I mean, we're not struggling with that. You seem to be struggling with some thoughts and ideas though.

• Haha
Reactions: LawnMM
Never spent any real time in Baghdad. Looked like a nice enough place
Can confirm. A++, 10/10, would visit again, great asset to the Middle East. Especially loved the piles of trash/garbage piled 10-30' high at the end of dead-end streets in 2005-2006 thanks to the government having been dismantled. Loved getting hit on Rte. Irish, really made you feel alive. xD

Can confirm. A++, 10/10, would visit again, great asset to the Middle East. Especially loved the piles of trash/garbage piled 10-30' high at the end of dead-end streets in 2005-2006 thanks to the government having been dismantled. Loved getting hit on Rte. Irish, really made you feel alive. xD
Route Irish didn't live up to the hype in 05/06 imo. By then they had so many clearance patrols going up and down there it was not bad but I didn't run it every day so take it with a grain of salt. I did tend to take trips up to the old MOD and lived right next to the MOI. Haifa street was a fun run but not as fun as route Wild. Route Budweiser sucked, we helped pick up the pieces after a CA team was hit there 2005 by an EFP. I especially loved when they would burn those piles of trash!

Route Irish didn't live up to the hype in 05/06 imo. By then they had so many clearance patrols going up and down there it was not bad but I didn't run it every day so take it with a grain of salt. I did tend to take trips up to the old MOD and lived right next to the MOI. Haifa street was a fun run but not as fun as route Wild. Route Budweiser sucked, we helped pick up the pieces after a CA team was hit there 2005 by an EFP. I especially loved when they would burn those piles of trash!
It definitely was different once they cleared out the median and the shoulder space to the houses. Also, once they installed the fences on the overpasses and put up the IP checkpoints on the on/off ramps. We still took fire every trip on our way to the IZ. Hell, even in 2006, they were still finding IED's inside the IZ. :eek:
But, necessity is the mother of invention. In 2006, they lit off the twin car bombs at the VBC bazaar in the median, which closed it down. We came in about 5 mins before they went off. We were at our building and saw the smoke. One of our buddies from another team said someone just lit off twin car bombs at the gate. We asked him when, he said, "about 45 mins ago." We said, "we just pulled through there about 40 mins ago..." I still have the video from the security tower on my youtube upload. :alien:

Reactions: stefan73
Choke points full of IEDs.

Fixed it for you

That ain't no lie. We had a team one day cruising down Irish when an IP checkpoint was attacked by a group of insurgents. They lit off some IEDs, RPGs, and tried assaulting it. Our team came to their aid right before they assaulted and were able to take a couple of them out and then rendered aid after. Our unit attained god-like status after that in the view of the IPs lol

It definitely was different once they cleared out the median and the shoulder space to the houses. Also, once they installed the fences on the overpasses and put up the IP checkpoints on the on/off ramps. We still took fire every trip on our way to the IZ. Hell, even in 2006, they were still finding IED's inside the IZ. :eek:
But, necessity is the mother of invention. In 2006, they lit off the twin car bombs at the VBC bazaar in the median, which closed it down. We came in about 5 mins before they went off. We were at our building and saw the smoke. One of our buddies from another team said someone just lit off twin car bombs at the gate. We asked him when, he said, "about 45 mins ago." We said, "we just pulled through there about 40 mins ago..." I still have the video from the security tower on my youtube upload. :alien:
I was at BIAP when they had that VBIED det in the waiting line before the check points, by where that statue was or near there? Wasn't there a cement truck involved? I was down there to collect my FOO funds, when the VBIED occurred but I can't remember what vehicles were involved. I was with the 1-61, 506th, 101st at the time.

I was at BIAP when they had that VBIED det in the waiting line before the check points, by where that statue was or near there? Wasn't there a cement truck involved? I was down there to collect my FOO funds, when the VBIED occurred but I can't remember what vehicles were involved. I was with the 1-61, 506th, 101st at the time.
It was just on this side of the Flying Man statue. The next day, my team rolled out the gates to go to the IZ again. There was an engine and a transmission about 50 yds and 150 yds down the road from where the bombs went off. They were sedans, a Mercedes and a Toyota I think. But yeah, if you were 101st right there, you guys had the battle space just to the north of Slayer. Our COC's got into a pissing match about the mosque right there near Flying Man. Our guys would witness them running guns/RPGs in/out of the mosque but your BN Cdr wouldn't do anything nor would he allow us to go in and take care of it. Ahole.

It was just on this side of the Flying Man statue. The next day, my team rolled out the gates to go to the IZ again. There was an engine and a transmission about 50 yds and 150 yds down the road from where the bombs went off. They were sedans, a Mercedes and a Toyota I think. But yeah, if you were 101st right there, you guys had the battle space just to the north of Slayer. Our COC's got into a pissing match about the mosque right there near Flying Man. Our guys would witness them running guns/RPGs in/out of the mosque but your BN Cdr wouldn't do anything nor would he allow us to go in and take care of it. Ahole.
That was 2nd BN. I was in the RSTA/CAV at the time. I believe LTC Butts was the 2nd BN, BN CDR then in that area. A good friend of mine was in 2nd BN and was at FOB Falcon when it blew up, I watched it go up from my little team house. I was on the other side of the river and my BDE HQ was at Loyalty next to SADR City. 1st BN was in Faluja under LTC Clark (really good guy) and my BN CDR at that time LTC Winski was out of FOB Rustamiyah.

When we left BIAP we saw the mess.

That was 2nd BN. I was in the RSTA/CAV at the time. I believe LTC Butts was the 2nd BN, BN CDR then in that area. A good friend of mine was in 2nd BN and was at FOB Falcon when it blew up, I watched it go up from my little team house. I was on the other side of the river and my BDE HQ was at Loyalty next to SADR City. 1st BN was in Faluja under LTC Clark (really good guy) and my BN CDR at that time LTC Winski was out of FOB Rustamiyah.

When we left BIAP we saw the mess.

Ah right on. Dang, they had you guys spread out like crazy all over. My first mission was Thanksgiving 2005 flying and escorting the SecArmy around the country. We flew to Ramadi, FOB McHenry/Summerall, and then to Mosul. McHenry was run by a 101st unit, not sure which, but it was awful. They were literally in the middle of the desert living in connexes and some some shanty buildings. No walls, nothing. One of their guys told us they received the record for most IED's found/struck in a month with something like 128 in one month. Wtf

Ah right on. Dang, they had you guys spread out like crazy all over. My first mission was Thanksgiving 2005 flying and escorting the SecArmy around the country. We flew to Ramadi, FOB McHenry/Summerall, and then to Mosul. McHenry was run by a 101st unit, not sure which, but it was awful. They were literally in the middle of the desert living in connexes and some some shanty buildings. No walls, nothing. One of their guys told us they received the record for most IED's found/struck in a month with something like 128 in one month. Wtf
My buddy was in the Striker BDE that was up in Mosul at that time. They were extended for 6 more months during the surge. I don't think those guys took any fatalities until they came down to Baghdad. Those were crazy times, crazier after the Samara mosque bombing.

My buddy was in the Striker BDE that was up in Mosul at that time. They were extended for 6 more months during the surge. I don't think those guys took any fatalities until they came down to Baghdad. Those were crazy times, crazier after the Samara mosque bombing.
10th MTN, iirc, took over in 2006 for them. We were BS'ing with some of them when going on R&R. They were getting fucking slammed hard. One guy said they lost 5 BN staff officers in one IED/ambush their first week of being there. Fack

Reactions: stefan73
10th MTN, iirc, took over in 2006 for them. We were BS'ing with some of them when going on R&R. They were getting fucking slammed hard. One guy said they lost 5 BN staff officers in one IED/ambush their first week of being there. Fack
One of their strykers was taken out just up the street from me. Some pretty gnarly injuries but luckily no fatalities. I remember we did a clearance op and I had told them about this AQ house that I kept hitting but could never corner the shitbags in there. It was so crowded there they just squirted through some walls and blended into the crowds. They hit that house, and luckily the booby trap failed to det (by sheer luck) and they found a big cache. PL had almost the entire PLT in the house ripping it up when they tossed a refrigerator and luckily in the process it pulled the plug from the wall, AQ had wired a 120mm mortar round to the light in the refrigerator. PSG looked at the PL when the round rolled out of the refrigerator and said "Sir, I'm going to go outside, throw up and smoke a cigarette". For about two weeks that PL walked around saying "my whole platoon almost died". Crazy days!

• Wow
Well in classic fashion we’ve descended into the realm of the less than qualified opinions 😅 look is a free country, do whatever you want but I’d urge us all to consider the aspects of the ego at play here.

Each fight that occurs is unique. No two gunfights are ever the same…BUT you will over time notice trends…BUT to truly understand and interpret, and integrate trends you need context. Context arrives from experience, experience can be personal which while powerful profound is often statistically limited. Other forms of experience come from the institutional or organizational perspective. This is the collective organization of the members individual experiences that will shape and develop a coherent doctrinal outline for the collective, the purpose of which is to enhance the groups abilities to succeed.

“Strength of the wolf is the pack, the strength of a pack is the wolf”

Some of you are probably wondering what the I am rambling on about. Let me say it simply:

Some of the things I am reading in this thread are fuck’en retarded. Comments that lack any grounded perspective other than it’s just been regurgitated over and over and thus have no context. Misplaced priority or concern on nuanced aspects while completely disregarding key principles is another issue.

That being said, don’t take this personal, this isn’t an attack on anyone, I simply think if we going to have a dialogue that’s somewhat productive rather than just an echo chamber, it needs to start with an honest self assessment. The point of a this discussion (any really) isn’t to “win” the argument but leave with something of value.

So quick background, personal I have 19ish years of military service, mostly in special operations. Heavy focus on sniper stuff but I cut my teeth as rifleman and assaulter long before that. I currently work for Ridgeline, our primary clients consist of special operation units both US and Foreign as well as others better not mentioned. Our staff is small but robust and includes LE and Mil operators from near every service (sorry Air Force 🤣) as well as other organizations outside of DoD. One of our primary contracts is a Low-Visibly Operator Course focused on small team (1-4 PAX) SUT/CQB in and around vehicles and residential structures with pistol/sub/carbines from concealment.

Here’s the notes relevant to the original post some additional observations.

Pistol/Subguns - These suck at winning gunfights when it comes to putting metal on meat. Better that a sharp point stick but a rifle/carbine is a whole magnitude of ballistic effectiveness above a pistol cartridge even with a sub gun. While there are a plethora of circumstances that might allow you to come out on top with a pistol vs a rifle, you won’t always be able to control those BUT you can control what you start with and a rifle is a better option.

Also I’ve seen A LOT of people shoot pistols over the years and I probably can count on one hand the number of people that are good enough with a pistol for it to be an confidently welded as an effective primary.

And that’s one of the points of concern here that I keep seeing, that “pistols are for CQB”. No they are NOT a primary weapon system, they are a backup another platform or a compromise for situations such as environments that demand concealment. If you think that rolling single handed with a pistol, while carry a baby in the dead of night against unknown threats is a good idea, you’re fuck’en bananas. The priority is to win this fight so stack the deck in you favor.

Suppressors - John Lovell already it laid out. VIOLENCE OF ACTION. As a singleton or a small team the psychological factor of unsuppressed fire in the confines of CQC is significant. I see this every time we teach the LVOC. Everyone, even seasoned hitters tend to be like “Goddamn!” when we roll unsuppressed in vehicles or tight rooms. I want everyone involved to be second guessing their decisions, 10.3” has that effect. Obviously amplified hearing protection is a thing, so just do it.
Best shit I've read. Being former normal-grade grunt Violence of Action is engrained. We were always taught if you ever need to use a pistol in place of your m4, it's because something went really really bad. I believe Shawn Ryan on the vigilance elite youtube channel did a best-home-defense weapon thing. He broke it down going through it all. Pistol-easiest to learn hardest to master last resort, but better than nothing if you don't have anything else. Shotgun-even with a 18in barrel still unwieldy, low capacity, and if you go down your loved one might not be able to handle it if they have to jump in to take over. SBR m4 (I think it was still a 14.5) was his choice along with a sig MPX with a good hollow point I think Speer Gold Dot. I think that had something to do with over-penetration of walls or something.

Reactions: Makinchips208
Two elements I see missing are a suppressor won't give the mouse fart report that you hear on T.V. and if the bad guy(s) get of a shot (s) a suppressor won't help you. By all means use one if you like, but it's not going to give the edge you might think it will. Remember if your using any long gun in a home defense situation if you get jumped the other guy has as much leverage on the weapon as you do whereas a handgun is easier to hold onto. None of us can carry a long gun off property in polite society. It behooves anyone owning/carrying a firearm for protection to be able to hit what your shooting at. I've done military, law enforcement, private military contracting for over 40 years now. If seen a lot of people get shot with just about everything and have been shot myself. I once had a rifle bullet pass through my body that hit nothing vital. It knocked me on my ass but I got back up and kept shooting. A hit for a handgun did more damage because it stayed inside and hit something worthwhile. That required hospital/surgery to recover from. The morle of the story is when your shot your shot the bullet or what it came out of isn't as important as what it hits. Use what fits you best and learn to use it well and you just might get by

Reactions: Libr8t