• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Best home defense is no suppressor? / zero distance

I appreciate the kind comments.

The real issue with all of this is that there are no answers. Nothing is guaranteed. The jury could always get it wrong. There are few things in this world more terrifying than going to prison, to me. I'd rather run away and look like a total pussy than have to even face that possibility.

These gun websites are full of tough guys who think it'd be so great to be in that situation. I know I spend every day of my life making an effort to avoid that like the plague. The criminal justice world is not somewhere any decent person ever wants to be.
You are correct good sir. Any use of force situation should be avoided if at all possible especially a deadly force encounter. Avoiding such a fight even if you have to withdraw is not being a pussy, it's being smart. Most of the tough guys on these forums pre suppose they will win the fight. Maybe they will maybe they won't. I've always had people I've trained in use of force training classes to reflect on their lives, things they do,places they go and when, people they know and interact with regularly. I ask them how they believe such an encounter will happen and how they will handle it and most importantly how they think it will end. After that period of reflection I tell them it won't go down that way probably not even close. That is the reality most people refuse to except. Anyone that has ever been involved in such an incident will tell you pretty much the same thing. If you observe the five rules of engagement I put out in a previous post you have the best chance you have of not ending up in front of a trial jury. There are many layers to that onion and it could cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to peal them back. There's also the fall out of all the bad press you can face, having to sell your house to pay your lawyer (s) fees. You family being harassed because YOU MURDERED SOMEONE AND GOT AWAY WITH IT!!! Even as an LAPD police officer after the fourth shooting I was involved in my fellow officers used to start asking me when was I going to start putting notches on my gun. A more serious issue is the civil action (s) you will probably have to deal with. A good example is the O.J.Simpson story. He was acquitted in the criminal trial but sued into receivership by Ron Goldman's farther. The most overlooked thing is the possibility of retribution by any friends or relatives the man/woman you were forced to shoot. I have insurance to cover upto $6 million of the leagl costs. That doesn't mean I still can't be convicted and it doesn't protect me from angry friends and family. I've always said winning a fight is better than losing it, but if you fuck this up you'll find yourself in a world of hurt. Get training and education that's the best way I know of to stay out of your grave and out of prison.

I was thinking, in an home defense/indoor shoot situation, why use a suppressor?

Theory

I can don and activate my electric pro in no time flat, it sits right next to the weapon, can be default set to boost my normal hearing to like scared deer hearing levels

Now the average intruder is 99% not going to be wearing ear pro, thus in a shoot situation wouldn’t the balance of advantageousness be in my advantage with the sound coming out of a 9.5” 9mm with a brake when I have quality ear pro on and they are sans protection? Kinda like a flash bang type effect??!

Second question, what is the best zero distance for a braced 9.5” barrel 9mm with a RDS, spilt use between steel plates at the range and defense

Thanks

Dropped-As-A-Baby.jpg

Skipped 7 pages to get to this point, so.if it's been said, skip mine.

From what courses I've taken and from life experience, I've gleaned this...

Scenarios are for training. When random violence besets you, your "skills" carry you through the confusion. It will most likely not happen how you think. Ear pro, & extra equipment will be an afterthought. It will happen quickly, unpredictably, and most likely not on your terms. Get your weapon quickly, protect/cover your family/friends, get out or win. Reaction is not as fast as action. As a defender, you are reactionary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 308pirate and lash
Skipped 7 pages to get to this point, so.if it's been said, skip mine.

From what courses I've taken and from life experience, I've gleaned this...

Scenarios are for training. When random violence besets you, your "skills" carry you through the confusion. It will most likely not happen how you think. Ear pro, & extra equipment will be an afterthought. It will happen quickly, unpredictably, and most likely not on your terms. Get your weapon quickly, protect/cover your family/friends, get out or win. Reaction is not as fast as action. As a defender, you are reactionary.

They're certainly not going to expect me storming the hallway in only underwear and a gladiator helmet, with ear pro of course. I definitely learned something in 8 pages of this circlejerk.

• Haha
Reactions: lash
They're certainly not going to expect me storming the hallway in only underwear and a gladiator helmet, with ear pro of course. I definitely learned something in 8 pages of this circlejerk.
I agree. If that doesn’t throw them off, what will?

Having to shoot in a confined and enclosed space?

I'll take the suppressor 10 out of 10 times.

Thankfully the odds of you ever having to do such a thing are extremely low. But if it did ever happen, being suppressed will probably be of benefit.

Curious to hear what the people who do/have done this stuff for a living think. Pretty sure my friend who has done more door kicking then anyone else I know (40+ deployments) has a suppressed 300 BO for this prupose.
Having been there done for most of my adult life (40) years, my opinion is if a suppressor works for you then use it. NEVER attempt to do a surch and destroy through your dark house if you have reason to believe there is an intruder in your home. If you can get out get out. The gun fight you will always win is the one your not involved in. If you have a family gathering them into a safe place is your best option, call 911, make ready to shoot if you actually have to. Make sure everyone is with you. If someone is missing there's a 99% chance that's what you heard go bump in the night. Cats and dogs and other critters are often the source of false alarms. If you attempt to do a search of the house and get clobbered who protects your family now especially now that they have your weapon? Make them come to you, the defender has the 3-1 advantage over the attacker meaning the attacker can expect to lose 3 for every 1 the defender loses. If you or you and your family can't escape what other choices do you have? Speaking from personal experience when you fire your weapon in the real deal you won't be aware of the noise it makes. This is know as auditory exclusion. You are so focused on the threat you aren't aware of anything else in the moment. This is part of survival instinct anybody of the average sensibilities have. Your ears will be ringing once the adrenaline drops off, but not during the actual encounter. I've read on this and other such forms and heard it in use of force classes I've taught that only a coward would run away from his own home. I'll remember you said that at your trial or wake if this all goes sideways and believe you me they do a lot of times. The good guy doesn't always win, and sometimes the winner is the one that dies last in the E.R. To sum up, your walking into a stacked deck, don't make it any worse for yourself than you have to.

Reactions: kthomas