• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Is camo critical when hunting big game ?

CuTm

SHjr
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2018
Az
Kuiu’s gear looks incredible . Although it can only be ordered online unless you travel to California . Not impressed with the hunting clothing in big name stores . Loud, heavy , horrible reviews . So to wrap this up could I use hiking clothing I know works ? Not camo . But keeps me dry warm , and silent . Most of my hunting is done in Washington state , in the sage if that helps . If anyone can think of cons to this I would appreciate it . Thank you - cut em

It really depends on the type of hunting you will be doing.
If you are talking about archery hunting then yes a good and effective camo pattern is needed unless you hunt out of a blind.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
I hunt modern rifle . This is something worth keeping in mind though. Washington has great archery seasons .

Staying still and covering scent is more important. It does depend on how close you plan on getting. The closer the more important. Obviously wearing monochrome, blaze orange isn’t a problem at rifle ranges or no one would kill a deer.

Reactions: XLR308 and RNWRKNP
Most hunting specific clothing is shit. The guys that are doing it right (first light, kuiu, sitka) charge you a premium for it.
Buy good outdoor gear from reputable hiking brands in dull colours and you are good to go.

Camo is important in woods hunting situations IMO, I want to blend in to the surroundings as much as possible.

a fair amount of elk get killed in colo with their blaze orange requirements during rifle season. i hope to be part of that statistic in about a month.

Camo doesn't do much to hide you from deer, elk or bear that a dull earth tone won't do. It does matter for predator hunting and waterfowl though.
Another thing to consider that is often left out is Do Not wear a color that matches an animal that others may be hunting. Any Tan, Grey, Brown or black on you or your pack can make you a target for one of the many morons who are " hunting" with a case of beer.
This is one positive side to camo ( and orange ).

I agree, the camo isnt very important. Kuiu makes some nice stuff though! I’m a little biased as I own a bunch of it(along with some Sitka). It does what they say it does, it’s very durable, and they sell stuff for every season. I don’t know if I’m special or not, but when I buy stuff from them, the return label comes in the box with the item I ordered. If I don’t like it, back it goes with simple instructions (refund, different size, etc). I think it’s a 60 day return policy.

I might just buy some pants and a jacket from kuiu . How should I approach this though? Those of you with kuiu experience, do they depict their product in a honest manner ? Is what the description says what I’m geting? I appreciate all the help.

I wear a lot of Kuiu. Great quality. I wear a lot of their stuff in the solids though, Major Brown and Phantom Grey. I do have a lot of their camo too.

I actually wear camo more for the reason is I do not want other hunters to see where I am going or hunting rather than game not seeing me.

I think the Verde is very well suited for sage flats and earlier season hunts with more greens. The Vias is great for desert, rocks, late season where vegetation is dormant or snow is present.. They are more about breaking up your outline rather than blending in with the area you hunt.

Reactions: WoobieJ
I wear a lot of Kuiu. Great quality. I wear a lot of their stuff in the solids though, Major Brown and Phantom Grey. I do have a lot of their camo too.

I actually wear camo more for the reason is I do not want other hunters to see where I am going or hunting rather than game not seeing me.

I think the Verde is very well suited for sage flats and earlier season hunts with more greens. The Vias is great for desert, rocks, late season where vegetation is dormant or snow is present.. They are more about breaking up your outline rather than blending in with the area you hunt.
Have you tried the attack pants? They look Promising.

Have you tried the attack pants? They look Promising.
I have a few different pants from Kuiu. Attack (×2), Alpine, Guide (×2 great for late season), Tiburon (×2, great for hot/warm early hunts). Just got 2 pair of the Sierra pants, but have not worn them yet. Plus Yukon rain pants (×2) which I wear a lot as over pants because they are water and wind proof, and have full length zippers making it easy on/off over boots..

I have a few different pants from Kuiu. Attack (×2), Alpine, Guide (×2 great for late season), Tiburon (×2, great for hot/warm early hunts). Just got 2 pair of the Sierra pants, but have not worn them yet. Plus Yukon rain pants (×2) which I wear a lot as over pants because they are water and wind proof, and have full length zippers making it easy on/off over boots..
I am thinking attack pants, and Yukon jacket with Ultra Merino 125 shirt under it should work for me.

The attack pants, merino, and the especially the insulated snap shirts are amazing from kuiu. I would live in them if it was acceptable. I'm wanting to get a super down, peloton hoodie and some rain gear soon as well.

Playing wind matters most, and depends on what you're after, but I still think KUIU in the verde 2.0 is he way to go and camo is necessary on a spot and stalk even with a rifle. If you do want to wear solids, be sure to avoid blues and greys especially for cervids as these are the most visible colors to them. Blue jeans are to deer what a green highlighter is to us.

In the blind, just wear something dark or your kuiu camo. And keep the sun from lighting you up through another window.

For rifle hunting camo is expensive and over rated. Long story short, I had a cow elk almost step on me when I was wearing a bright yellow two piece rain suit in a light drizzle. She failed to see me sitting on the rock until I got nervous and twitched my head because I saw a brown blur out of the corner of my eye. I was afraid she was going to kill one of her twin calves backing down the game trail. I didn't have an elk tag, I was hunting mule deer.

The most important factors to big game hunting is scent and movement. You could wear blue jeans and a flannel, as long as you have the wind and they don't catch you moving.

Totally agree, I have probably killed more deer and hogs in Texas wearing blue jeans and a t-shirt than anything else. The last deer I killed there with a bow was my youngest sons first hunting trip and we still laugh about it since the evening hunt temps were in the 90's and in a pop up blind we were both sitting there in our underwear sweating.

I have camo and I've hunted hard with it. To be honest I don't think it's made me more successful. Nowadays I rarely use it.

The most dangerous hunting I do is Spring Turkey. Everyone is in full Camo making turkey noises with a 12 ga loaded with 3”-3.5” turkey magnums. Guys who hunt Spring turkey on public land are crazy in my estimation.

Those two on the wall were take on public land lol

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180727_074944.jpg
    MVIMG_20180727_074944.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 28
For rifle hunting camo is expensive and over rated. Long story short, I had a cow elk almost step on me when I was wearing a bright yellow two piece rain suit in a light drizzle. She failed to see me sitting on the rock until I got nervous and twitched my head because I saw a brown blur out of the corner of my eye. I was afraid she was going to kill one of her twin calves backing down the game trail. I didn't have an elk tag, I was hunting mule deer.

I've managed to surprise more than one deer, or animal for that matter, riding my 2 stroke or 4 stroke dirt bikes. I pop around a corner and they just stare at me for a second surprised and then end up scattering. I had a moose parallel me along the trail once in Rand. I was just trying to stay/get out of his way. I've never seen such a large animal move so effortlessly though the trees with that HUGE rack.

Reactions: RNWRKNP
I've started a chainsaw and had deer come out of the woods to see what all the noise was about.
Fig,

My brother isn't a hunter and has had the same thing happen to him numerous times wood cutting in eastern Wyoming. Makes me think I ought to get a deer tag and offer to be his armed guard.

Camo?

It depends on how still you can be.

Large game?

Depends on how smart the game is.

If your hunting the backcountry where weather can turn unexpectedly good quality technical gear/layering system is crucial. I can kill shit all day in my blue jeans and carhart jacket but you wont ever catch me dead wearing cotton miles from my vehicle.

I own kuiu gear and sitka, i also hunt open areas where its normal to have a 400 + yard shot extending quite far. I have the gear though for the actual function of it, not just for the camo patterns. The kuiu gear is def warm and the packs are phenominal.

Reactions: XLR308 and WoobieJ
Mostly do predators here in the desert with desert tone clothing, a face net and boonie. Had coyotes so close that I shot them with a glock. Real easy to over think it but if there is potential for weather Sitka makes some damn fine stuff. If there is a nice set up for a call and go prone but not much cover......light weight desert net that I keep in the hunting pack. Wind, smell and movement as previously mentioned would hold priority.

Reactions: XLR308
I might just buy some pants and a jacket from kuiu . How should I approach this though? Those of you with kuiu experience, do they depict their product in a honest manner ? Is what the description says what I’m geting? I appreciate all the help.

Just a recommendation but if you do buy Sitka or KUIU you may want to order one size bigger than you normally wear, they have a pretty athletic fit.

hahahahaha yes.... very important for success. isnt that what mossy oak and real tree say? neutral tones and sit the hell still

Just a recommendation but if you do buy Sitka or KUIU you may want to order one size bigger than you normally wear, they have a pretty athletic fit.
I ended up ordering a jacket from first light. The corrugate guide jacket , looked like it would work best for the hunting I do in October . I decided camo was more for me, not the animals . As many of you said the wind direction has been the biggest factor I have noticed. I appreciate all the replies .

Reactions: XLR308 and Fig