• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is CNC machining a good thing to get into at my age?

Nepa1990

Private
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2021
USA
I posted here about a year ago about the current situation I was in at a company. I started a new role at a different company 8 months back, setting up & running CNC press brakes. I like the job a lot actually, and I have progressed pretty good in that amount of time, especially for it being brand new to me. I’m weekend shift Fri., Sat., Sun. 7am-7pm. It’s nice having the 4 day weekends, but it’s tough to get any kind of social activities in being I work while most are off.

I applied at a smaller machine shop right down the road from me last Wednesday after seeing signs up looking for workers. So, I stopped in and submitted a resume and to my surprise the receptionist paged the production supervisor and gave me an interview while he showed me around he shop. They seem like really solid people (foreman and the union guys). The opening is for 2nd shift CNC milling operators.

I explained I have no experience in this craft, my CNC experience is coming from forming sheet metal components, but they must have liked me and seen potential. Most of the work doesn’t look too intimidating, they machine off of extruded aluminum instead of solid stock.

My second interview is with ownership tomorrow, and wanted to ask you guys your opinion. Am I big on working 2nd shift? No. If it were a year or less before I got days, I would work it though. I’d be making $1/hr more if I accept this job. I don’t really hate the company I’m at now, but I don’t really love it either, so I’m just seeing what’s out there and keeping an open mind. At my age (32 years old) I feel like I really need to start settling in on a career and to stop taking ‘jobs’ but I’m not sure what I’d be interested in.

Would you guys pursue the machining gig? Or stay where I’m at for the time being?

I appreciate any and all advice.

Getting more CNC programming knowledge on different and more complex machines will make you more valuable in the future. For $1 more an hour, look at this new job as getting paid to learn. Besides, changing jobs is a faster way to get raises to keep up with inflation.

Getting more CNC programming knowledge on different and more complex machines will make you more valuable in the future. For $1 more an hour, look at this new job as getting paid to learn. Besides, changing jobs is a faster way to get raises to keep up with inflation.
This is true. I have no idea how my meeting with the ownership will go tomorrow. If they do offer me an opportunity to become a part of their company, would it be considered bad form to thank them, and request a day to review everything and make a decision? Or would they view me as being disinterested?

Keep progressing, Have the drive to learn and you will be fine. If you get in the groove of doing only the bare minimum, people will notice. Don’t focus on programming at this point in your career. Focus on doing your job as best as you can. Good enough isn’t.

Second shift in the machining world is where you start. Figure out who actually knows what is going on and ask these people questions without being overbearing. Know it alls will get cut off pretty quick so try to be humble. One step at a time.

Good luck, it isn’t a bad career.

Programing CNC, Automation, and Controls are excellent paying employment in S.E Michigan and will open doors throughout the country. I have moved to east valley Arizona for 3 years and there is big tech with names like Intel, Boeing, L3 Harris. I still get emails and phone calls for opportunities in AZ however my family is here in MI and cost of living is climbing from all the Californians moving in.

Suck it up and do it.

The new guys get the shitty shifts and the pain in the ass jobs.
It's how they stick with it and progress into the old guys that gets them the better hours and more complex jobs.

It’s never too late. I changed jobs at 51. Couldn’t stand the people and libtard policies at the University I worked at and became a haul truck operator for a gold mine. Complete 180 from what I was doing. I love it. The company and people are amazing.
They should be fine with you taking a day or two to think about it. It’s a big deal to change employers.

Reactions: Hegre
Ownership (if they’re worth a fuck) will have no issue with you taking a day or two to think about your options if they want you. Shop hopping for a buck is still frowned upon but often ignored in this labor market and you’re talking about learning something new and expanding your skills.

Didn’t recognize the dude. I’d never hire him if I saw that collection of bullshit.

I have a hobby-grade CNC router. I also have a laser.

In my opinion, design skills are far more relevant than knowledge of any particular machine. I have taught private classes to people who buy these expensive tools with no knowledge on how to create things. How to operate a machine is a simple skill, how to convert an idea into something they can process takes considerable effort.

CNC machining is great for any age. It's varied, rewarding, and pays well. CNC machining is suitable for all ages because it requires less physical exertion. I worked with recently on CNC machine projects, and their team is friendly, professional and knowledgable.

I was satisfied with the quality materials and craftsmanship throughout the consultation, machining, and finished product. They also have competitive prices. I recommend Want.net for CNC machining. Click to read more about their services and pricing.
The 9000 series is the most reliable computer ever made.

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots
You're not that old .
At 25 I started on a 4 year apprenticeship , machinist .
Worked operating . Started doing set ups around 34 .
Lathe Dept Lead by 38 . Taught myself programming by getting copies of programs on papers and the M and G code table .
Learned enough Mastercam on my own with the free version to draw and analyze points .
About 42 went to Fanuc school for Robots .
About 44 Haas school .
Trained at location by Okuma .
46 Basic Electronics on my dime distance learning . 48 Electronic Engineering same format .
I'm 57 and Learning PLC programming .
Will be going back to Fanuc for Electrical repair then Mechanical .

I started as an operator , then machinist . CNC
Next thing you know I'm fixing them . Don't limit yourself . Hell next week you may decide that your going to become a Doctor and focus on Erectile Dysfunction . Maybe work on retards , who knows .
Hey if you do work on retards let me know . I need help .
Good luck

• Haha
Reactions: Milf Dots