• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Is going from a 6BRA to a 6.5 worth it? Or do a 7mm?

WillEver

Private
Minuteman
Aug 2, 2023
Fort Worth, TX
I've been shooting my 6BRA quite a bit and really enjoying it. There are a couple of local ranges with 1000+ steel, and I want to add something with a little more oomph. I have an Origin action, so it's just a matter of a new barrel and dies. But I need to stay with a short action cartridge.

Would a 6.5x47 or 6.5CM get me a noticeable increase in range? Easier to spot hits and misses, etc. Or just jump to something like a 7 Saum?

6.5 Creed will get you to 1200-1600 depending on DA with the 147s.

6.5x47 is a little faster, burns barrels a lot quicker.

7saum, you'd better find brass before you order a barrel.

Reactions: Herb Stoner
You really won’t gain anything at 1k with a 6.5 creedmoor other than easier to spot impacts and misses.

My dasher and 6.5x47l are pretty well matched out to 1200.

What are you hoping to gain? Better wind performance? easier spotting? Less drop?

Maybe consider a 6.5prc?

I own both a 6BRA and 6.5 Creedmoor.

Personally, I think there's enough ballistic crossover between the two cartridges that I have considered fully ditching 6.5 Creedmoor. Only reason why I haven't is because I have a lot of components and barrel life left for that cartridge.

There's not much to gain going to a 6.5 cm from a 6BRA.

I would get a bolt and a barrel for a 7 SAUM or something similar. You will likely have to single feed ammo. But that would actually be a full step up from a 6BRA. A 6.5 Creedmoor is just a partial step, if any (conditions dependent).

I've been shooting my 6BRA quite a bit and really enjoying it. There are a couple of local ranges with 1000+ steel, and I want to add something with a little more oomph. I have an Origin action, so it's just a matter of a new barrel and dies. But I need to stay with a short action cartridge.

Would a 6.5x47 or 6.5CM get me a noticeable increase in range? Easier to spot hits and misses, etc. Or just jump to something like a 7 Saum?

Bullet selection will matter. You will get harder hits and easier miss/hit spots with the 6.5 especially using heavier bullets. The 6.5 Creedmoor with 153 ATips will really put a smack on a target. Very easy to see. Are you just looking for target feedback or energy for hunting?

Just don't try to get published SST velocities.

There's been a low of overpromising with the SST cartridges, and you will be in big time pressure if you try to get the velocities claimed.
I've played with both the 65 and 6SST see post #41 https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...caliber-for-youth-rifle.7084965/#post-9612605 in the post I made the typo about the 65 and 130s they were actually 140g hybrids and i had no pressure issues with either but I am pretty sure I was at or maybe even slightly over pressure.

I shot 250ish rounds through the 65 and gave the barrel to a buddy and at around 300ish rounds the 6 started blowing bullets up. I never looked into why just pulled the barrel as these are not PRS type cartridges in my opinion just something to satisfy my need for speed back then.
I'm running 153.5G Berger hybrids at 2930ish in my current 65SST but this gun will only be used for a none PRS type match and only when its windy so a cheater gun....I shot steel at the range on Sunday 5.9mils at 956yds is pretty sweet!

708 - you can run regular 308 brass through a 708 die and be set.
708AI - you can shoot that converted 708 brass into AI brass. You will need to mandrel out the donut in the case neck.
7SAW - you can so the same 308 brass conversion through the 7SAW die and have nearly the same case capacity as a 708AI without the fireforming. (Some fireform even conventional rounds before using for serious work, so it's status quo I guess)

On the same bolt face, you could single feed .284Win. Lots more energy, great bullet selections. Super accurate.
Yeah, it's like the 6mmBR of the 7mm world and throated way out for single feed isn't far behind 7 Saum if a longer barrel is used. Lot's of 1000Y F-class wins with this cartridge as well.

I currently use 6mmBR and also a 6.5 Saum/ 3240 fps with 140 hybrid in a heavy 29 incher with a huge brake makes it a impressive step up compared to 6mmBR. Long action used and throated out far. It kinda feels like 6mmBR because my 6mmBR is in a 16 pound gun and the 6.5 in a 23 pound gun.

Friend has 7mmSaum and 300 PRC. It's interesting hearing the thump and seeing how the steel flaps around(hung from conveyor belt) as the energy goes up, as well as less windage needed.

A standard 7-08 with a 26 inch barrel will get you a 162 eld m to 2800 fps with 65 staball.
Might even get that with a 24".
Get you a mag with no binder plate and load to 2.9, might squeeze out another 20-50